• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Danganronpa Protagonists Bring Hope! Makoto, Hajime, Kaede and Friends for Smash Thread

Who is your favourite protagonist?

• Makoto

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Hajime

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Komaru

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Kaede

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
I really hope S isn't a bait-and-switch. I just don't think there should be anything post-V3 and a fun comedy board game with a ton of character interactions is about all I'm interested in right now.

I do think it's interesting that there are a bunch of potentially playable characters we don't know yet. I'm guessing we're getting some anime and light novel-onlies, which would be fun. Or maybe (DR1 spoilers) Undisguised Mukuro Ikusaba? Please?
I'm not too worried about it being a full bait-and-switch. There's a line between plot twist and false advertising; I think Spike Chunsoft knows how to walk it.

Yeah, the fact there's seemingly ~5 characters we don't know yet is interesting...

If I were to predict, Chisa's the most obvious with her popularity kind of making her into the anime's signature character. I know Kodaka is a big fan of Miaya and she's even been in some mobile game collabs, so she's maybe she'd make it in? I don't know if it'd be the real her or the robot piloted by Monaca, but one of those could be neat. I know a lot of people like Ryota too, at least in the west.

In terms of light novels, the obvious ones feel like Yui Samidare from Danganronpa Kirigiri and Yasuke Matsuda from Danganronpa Zero...

We already know we have "Junko?" in the game, but they have other characters included twice, so Mukuro being there herself would be a good addition. It'd also be an announcement that would hype people up worldwide, while I imagine the general reaction to Yui would be "Neat! Are you going to actually localize those light novels or...?" in the west.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Well, it's a shot-for-shot recreation of the opening of DR2, where Nagito has that glitch effect on him to foreshadow that they're all in a simulation (honestly, I know every DR game does the "Prologue actually has a tonne of hints you're supposed to be too overwhelmed/busy to notice" thing, but I think DR2 may slightly overdo it on the simulation hints). So, I'm guessing it implies their "summer vacation" is just to the simulation world of DR2?

I guess maybe the board game mode could be in the simulation, with them using the skills they build up in it in the dungeons which take place outside of the simulation? Maybe? Idk.
I honestly forgot Danganronpa 2 also had that glitch effect. It's been a long time since I first played it haha.

amageish

Smash Master
I honestly forgot Danganronpa 2 also had that glitch effect. It's been a long time since I first played it haha.
Totally fair haha. They have several graphics like that when you first boot up the game. If you read the first loading screen, it literally just acknowledges that the game is in a simulation...

Also, hey, this is a Smash thread, so I have a Smash idea! What if, instead of the usual Smash title screen, the DR cast had a sort of fusion between the Smash character cards and the Danganronpa talent cards? Like this:

kaedesmash.jpg

Except, you know, make it look good with the talents of a professional design time, instead of me spending 15 minutes in gimp!

You know, in the same way Kazuya got to "Get Ready For The Next Battle" instead of the standard font/pun approach...

amageish

Smash Master
We're rating the DR Protagonists on RTC.
Oh, again? I guess it's been a long while since I've checked that thread, but people seemed pretty fatigued by Danganronpa discussion last time I was there...

I've kind of stopped interacting with the pragmatic speculation side of the fandom, but hopefully all goes well I suppose... DR on Switch + Spike Chunsoft's general chuminess with Nintendo makes it feel more likely then it has been in the past, but also with one character left I can't say I am going to call anyone particularly likely lol.

At least a spirit event in November/December seems plausible...

amageish

Smash Master
In something I've been considering doing for a while, I made another Danganronpa thread, entirely dedicated to everyone's favourite author, Toko Fukawa.

I don't expect Danganronpa to be getting the final character in Smash, but wheoever ends the pass will certainly be hated by a lot of people... why not give a head start by picking a character who does a lot of self-loathing?

amageish

Smash Master
I'm sure I have talked about this mod before, but what the hey: New people have come to this thread fairly often.

I've been playing some Rivals of Aether lately and I just really like the Komaru mod for it.

It adds Komaru as a character with an UDG moveset, with her using her hacking megaphone to fire off a variety of truth bullets. What bullets she fires can be adjusted with her down special and they all have unique effects, with some also having cooldown on them because... balance is important.

She's then joined by her best friend to help her with neutrals and a couple of specials. They also put in voice lines from UDG, which I think have been made better since I last played with the mod? At least, it feels like they have more and some play less often, as I recall hearing "You called for me and I appeared!" with the up-special a very large amount haha...

It's a fully-complete kit and definitely one of the most polished ones I've seen in RoE. Definitely underrated mod, though probably in part due to it being the protagonist of the nichest game in a niche franchise... Still, definitely working checking out if you own the game!

Link to its Steam Workshop page is here!

amageish

Smash Master
So... Direct today... Woo-hoo...

Maybe we'll see some actual dungeon-crawlling Danganronpa S gameplay? As we have seen the board game and the combat, but I don't think we've seen what the actual dungeons themselves will look like... I don't know if Danganronpa S is a big enough deal to get in two Directs in a row, but also it is a Nintendo Switch exclusive for the moment, so I imagine Nintendo has bribed Spike Chunsoft into exclusivity somehow...

amageish

Smash Master

Sooooooooooooo... Summer Camp sharing UTDP's gameplay loop, including the MonoMono Machine, is no surprise; however, it is a bit of a surprise that it will let you buy the in-game currency with real money. That... isn't great! I don't love that.

Also, as for Smash, Danganronpa S was in the Japanese version of the Direct and, personally, I think that drops the odds of the final character being from Danganronpa signficantly. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't have revealed a Danganronpa rep in the Direct where they were also promoting Danganronpa games... but, hey, Mii Costumes still exist! Komaru gunner please...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Sooooooooooooo... Summer Camp sharing UTDP's gameplay loop, including the MonoMono Machine, is no surprise; however, it is a bit of a surprise that it will let you buy the in-game currency with real money. That... isn't great! I don't love that.

Also, as for Smash, Danganronpa S was in the Japanese version of the Direct and, personally, I think that drops the odds of the final character being from Danganronpa signficantly. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't have revealed a Danganronpa rep in the Direct where they were also promoting Danganronpa games... but, hey, Mii Costumes still exist! Komaru gunner please...
Well, at least they let us know in advance... and didn't wait until after release to patch it in (cough cough Activision cough cough). Plus, they made it a point that you don't HAVE to spend money, and you can just play the game normally to get it. Hopefully, it's at least generous about it...

amageish

Smash Master
Well, at least they let us know in advance... and didn't wait until after release to patch it in (cough cough Activision cough cough). Plus, they made it a point that you don't HAVE to spend money, and you can just play the game normally to get it. Hopefully, it's at least generous about it...
Very true. This means critics will also have the gacha element in their review copies, so they can judge if they found it too grindy or not...

UTDP was pretty grindy, but I still really enjoyed it and didn't mind how the gacha element encourged you to play as characters you may otherwise pass over - it wasn't my fave unlock system by any means, but I didn't dislike it. I am curious how this one will work though, as UTDP had you unlock gacha machines with better odds as you got further into the Despair Dungeon. If that is still in, then I am pretty content, but it'd be kind of icky if they made Summer Camp have uniformally worse odds of getting rare characters then UTDP...

amageish

Smash Master

So, Kodaka's next project has been shown off and it is... a baseball-themed RPG? I can safely say I did not see that one coming... Very much in the Danganronpa style character-design wise though.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

So, Kodaka's next project has been shown off and it is... a baseball-themed RPG? I can safely say I did not see that one coming... Very much in the Danganronpa style character-design wise though.
Baseball is the best sport so I am so looking forward to this!

amageish

Smash Master
Baseball is the best sport so I am so looking forward to this!
I'm Canadian and I also confirm to stereotypes, so curling is the only sport I have avidly watched a lot of, but there is something very pure and engaging about the rules of baseball. I definitely get the appeal and am interested in how a RPG version will turn out...

It will also be getting an anime starting in January of 2022, so maybe that's worth keeping an ear out for as well. It seems like an interesting premise for an IP, if nothing else.

amageish

Smash Master
They finally revealed the sculpt for the Kaede statue!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

It's perfect and I need it immediately.
Ooooooh, that's a slick design. I love the pieces of sheet music flying around; that should look really good when fully coloured.

I still would slightly have preferred if it was based on her Argument Armament instead of her Execution, but it's a very good statue nonetheless!

I'll probably try to preorder one, disposable income permitting...

amageish

Smash Master
And that's the end of the pass! Honestly, when Danganronpa S turned up in the Japanese Direct and the character wasn't announced there, I can kind of given up hope on Danganronpa getting playable content, but, alas, no Mii Costume either.

Regardless, Danganronpa S looks to be an exciting game and I'm thrilled by the potential Decadence has to introduce new fans to this lovely series. And, personally, I do think it's possible spirit events continue past the end of DLC proper, so maybe there's still hope for a png file of Kaede to make it into the game! And something-something-hope-will-never-die-despair-bad!

amageish

Smash Master

As the threads aren't shut down yet, here's some Danganronpa news... Monokubs will be enemies in DRS and there are new "W-rank" cards that use art previously only seen in Japan-only merch, which is interesting to me. I like seeing HQ versions of that art, so I'm hoping those will be reasonably obtainable and they aren't exclusive to people buying the cards directly using real money instead of obtaining via in-game gacha....

amageish

Smash Master
So, this is the end... Thanks for being here, everyone! We had an interesting beginning, but this ended up being a really fun thread full of exciting discussion! It was lovely to have all of y'all in this thread and I hope you enjoyed your time here.

For those who plan on continuing to use SmashBoards as a general gaming discussion place, I have made a thread in the Gaming area for Danganronpa S discussion, as well as discussion of the other spin-off possiblities that were teased by Spike in a statement yesterday. I hope to see some of you over there! As for everyone else, I hope you enjoyed Ultimate's speculation cycle and I will see you next time, whenever that may be.

Top Bottom