• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Danganronpa Protagonists Bring Hope! Makoto, Hajime, Kaede and Friends for Smash Thread

Who is your favourite protagonist?

• Makoto

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Hajime

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Komaru

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Kaede

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
Happy Kayay-day, everyone~!

(It's Kaede's birthday...)

Celebrate it the way she'd want to: by making gratuitous classical music references.

In the (increasingly unlikely) event where she does make it into Smash, I've always liked the idea of Claire de Lune being remixed into a victory theme...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Happy Kayay-day, everyone~!

(It's Kaede's birthday...)

Celebrate it the way she'd want to: by making gratuitous classical music references.

In the (increasingly unlikely) event where she does make it into Smash, I've always liked the idea of Claire de Lune being remixed into a victory theme...
Potentially stupid question, but would Danganronpa count as a "low profile" pick? With only two spots left, I think it's safe to say we're in that phase of characters, and I've already accepted that F11 will be first party.

amageish

Smash Master
Potentially stupid question, but would Danganronpa count as a "low profile" pick? With only two spots left, I think it's safe to say we're in that phase of characters, and I've already accepted that F11 will be first party.
I... don't know how to describe Danganronpa's size, honestly. It's obviously not one of the best-selling games of all time, but it is certainly one of the most famous/successful games within its niche? If it were to get into Smash, then it would be one of the smallest third-parties in Smash.

I've never been expecting DR in Smash, but if it did happen, then I assume it'd primarily be on the backs of Nintendo and Spike Chunsoft being chummy with stuff like Mystery Dungeon and Cadence of Hyrule... though also neither of those collaborations have gotten any content in Smash Bros either...

amageish

Smash Master
For anybody interested, Danganronpa 2 turns five today (or at least, the PC Version)!

Nice! That game sure has had a lot of release dates, between the PSP version and the Vita version and the localization and the PS4 version and the PC version and the iOS version...

amageish

Smash Master
So, the Famicom Detective prequels getting previews has caused a lot of VN Smash discussion and that caused me to be looking at the Wikipedia page for Otogiriso, the first game advertised as a "Sound Novel" back in 1992... and it had a sequel starring Kyoko?!?!

kyokovn.png

It was a bonus disk with the DR3 anime of all things, but I didn't realize that DR had superglued itself to one of the most historically important VNs like this lol. No idea how I missed its existence...

And, hey, even Sakurai acknowledged Otogiriso's importance when outlining the history of sound novels for a 13 Sentinels column last year.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
So, the Famicom Detective prequels getting previews has caused a lot of VN Smash discussion and that caused me to be looking at the Wikipedia page for Otogiriso, the first game advertised as a "Sound Novel" back in 1992... and it had a sequel starring Kyoko?!?!

View attachment 312990

It was a bonus disk with the DR3 anime of all things, but I didn't realize that DR had superglued itself to one of the most historically important VNs like this lol. No idea how I missed its existence...

And, hey, even Sakurai acknowledged Otogiriso's importance when outlining the history of sound novels for a 13 Sentinels column last year.
I loooove seeing interesting history like this, and it's so cool one of my fav VN detectives ever got to be involved. People always underestimate how important early visual novels were to gaming. (Truly, what is Zork if not a visual novel /s)

amageish

Smash Master
I loooove seeing interesting history like this, and it's so cool one of my fav VN detectives ever got to be involved. People always underestimate how important early visual novels were to gaming. (Truly, what is Zork if not a visual novel /s)
It's really cool! I wonder if they'll ever bother to localize the random Japan-only spin-offs and DR side-projects, potentially as some form of collection...

You joke, but I think that adventure games, text adventures, and visual novels all kind of blur in an interesting way! Famicom Detective itself was called an "Adventure Game" on launch, but it's remake has become a "Visual Novel," in spite of it not having changed much in the way of gameplay/interface and the fact that "Visual Novel" was not a term when the original game came out. I think it's an accurate term, but it does go to show how much the industry has changed in the past 40 years.

amageish

Smash Master
Although I prefer Monokuma over anybody, I wouldn't say no to Danganronpa content! Count me in!
Welcome aboard~! Hope you enjoy your time here.

I'll start some discussion by asking one of my fave DR in Smash questions: If you had to add someone from DR to Smash who isn't a mascot character (i.e., none of the robot bears/bunnies/what-have-you) and isn't a protagonist (defined here as within DR1/2/UDG/V3; manga and light novel protagonists are fine), who would you pick?

Yiptap

Smash Lord

I'll start some discussion by asking one of my fave DR in Smash questions: If you had to add someone from DR to Smash who isn't a mascot character (i.e., none of the robot bears/bunnies/what-have-you) and isn't a protagonist (defined here as within DR1/2/UDG/V3; manga and light novel protagonists are fine), who would you pick?
Hifumi Yamada

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

Would be cool to see Kazuichi utilizing his mechanic skill, my man barely got any recognition despite being one of the survivor of the killing game, feels like they just made him lucky.

Goombaic

Smash Ace

I think Sakura or Nekomaru would be fun heavyweight characters if they were added. Also helps that they're actual fighters.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I already mentioned Kazuichi in the past, so I think I'll cheat and say Hina.

What? She's my favorite DR1 character.

amageish

Smash Master
Hifumi Yamada
You know, I gotta respect the originality of this choice! Based on his key art, he does have three hands, which could be useful for grabs.

Would be cool to see Kazuichi utilizing his mechanic skill, my man barely got any recognition, feels like they just made him lucky.
I'd toss a spoiler tag on the latter half of that sentence! That said, a mechanic would be an interesting archetype that we somehow haven't gotten yet... We have Steve building stuff and Duck Hunt placing things, but we don't have anyone properly... building and tinkering with things!

I think Sakura or Nekomaru would be fun heavyweight characters if they were added. Also helps that they're actual fighters.
They certainly would be fun! Definitely no concerns about moveset for those two lol.

If nothing else, it'd be lovely to see them as Mii Costumes...

I already mentioned Kazuichi in the past, so I think I'll cheat and say Hina.

What? She's my favorite DR1 character.
Respectable choice! Think of all the taunt potential of munching on a donut mid-match...

BeeLy1011

Smash Rookie
NNID
AngryGardenCraft
Switch FC
SW-2566-3544-4994
Danganronpa Duos for Smash Thread
View attachment 280458
DR1: Makoto Naegi Tests his Luck and Kyoko Kirigiri Questions Her Foes
DR2: Hajime Hinata Holds Out Hope and Chiaki Nanami Gets Her Game On
DRV3: Kaede Akamatsu Plays Her Harmony and Shuichi Saihara Begins the Investigation

Please Mark All Spoilers! This is intended to be a spoiler-free thread for those who have yet to play the games or know their stories.

What is Danganronpa?

Danganronpa is a series of horror visual novels about hope and despair in cruel and unjust circumstances. In each of them, a group of high school students recognized for their talents in a particular field, known as Ultimates, are trapped by an evil robotic teddy bear named Monokuma in an inescapable circumstance. They are told that they must murder one of their fellow students and get away with it in order to escape their capture and "graduate" from the game. The protagonists, generally, do not approve of this situation (for obvious reasons) and work to expose the masterminds behind the circumstances they find themselves in.

The gameplay is divided into three distinct modes. In Daily Life, the characters wonder around and socialize. Players can give gifts to strengthen their bonds with their fellow Ultimates, learning about each other and making friends. This is interrupted upon the discovery of a body, which begins the second phase, Deadly Life. In Deadly Life, the player investigates the crime scene, compiling evidence and testimony in order to uncover the guilty party. This culminates in the third phase, the Class Trial, where all the Ultimates argue about who is/isn't the killer, with the player using evidence as "Truth Bullets" to find contradictions in student testimony and shatter misconceptions had by the other students. In the latest entry, Danganronpa V3, the player is also able to use "Lie Bullets" to try to uncover the truth through misleading their classmates themselves. The court system also has a variety of (mildly-intrusive) minigames to help guide the player to the truth.

Who are these characters? Why have you picked six of them?

Three of these characters are the protagonists of their respective games: Makoto Naegi, the Ultimate Luck; Hajime Hinata, the Ultimate ???; and Kaede Akamatsu, the Ultimate Pianist. I have also provided each of them with a close friend to help provide them support: Makoto is joined by Kirigiri, Ultimate ???; Hajime is joined by Chiaki, Ultimate Gamer; and Kaede is joined by Shuichi, Ultimate Detective. My pitch is that they'd work like Zelda/Sheik in previous games - you can freely switch between the protagonist and their partner by using the down-special.

My reason for this is the core gimmick I'm proposing for the characters moveset. As mentioned above, the gameplay of Danganronpa is divided into three main sections. My pitch for a moveset is to have a duo of characters - one representing the Daily/Deadly Life elements, with moves that give opponents (deadly) gifts and pocket evidence (similar to Villager's pocket), while the other represents the class trial, presenting the evidence gathered by their partner in order to deal out massive amounts of damage. In this case, Kirigiri, Hajime, and Shuichi gather evidence, while Makoto, Chiaki, and Kaede present the evdince at trial. I think this would uniquely represent the mechanics of Danganronpa while also adding a gameplay loop unique to transforming characters in Smash Bros. I also feel it mostly reflects the personalities of the characters, with the more analytical ones gathering evdience and the more outgoing ones presenting it.

Shouldn't Chiaki and Hajime switch roles, as he's the vocal protagonist who would present at trial?

See, uh, part of the thought process that led to me pitching this gimmick is related to canon heights. Chiaki/Kaede/Makoto are the shorter characters, while Hajime/Shuichi/Kirigiri are taller. So, yes, Chiaki and Hajime are not in their 100% ideal roles, but this way they can hopefully work as alts.

Since when is Kaede shorter then Shuichi?

Oh, yeah, they slightly changed Kaede's height in the English localization of Danganronpa V3. I have no idea why they did that, but she's the exact same height as Makoto in the Japanese version. So, I'm going with the Japanese height!

Do you honestly think they would make 6 unique high-quality player-character-quality models for Danganronpa of all things?

Um. Well. No.

I do think that Danganronpa would be best represented by a character with an investigation/court gimmick though, similar to the one had by Phoenix Wright in Marvel vs Capcom 3. Smash Bros lately has been doing a very good job at making characters play in ways mechanically similar to their base games and I don't see why Danganronpa would be an exception to that. If I had to realistically predict, I'd probably bet on Makoto by himself, as he's both the protagonist of the first game and he has a lot of presence in spin-offs and franchising. That said, if Sakurai randomly asked me personally to pick one character to represent Danganronpa, then my personal preference is the Piano Freak, Kaede.

That said, this thread is intended to be a general discussion place for Danganronpa protagonists, be it as a standalone character, in my duo idea, or whatever other orientation you'd prefer! Heck, if you want Komaru, the protagonist of the spin-off game Ultra Despair Girls, then that is also totally fine for this thread! Just please do remember to mark your spoilers.

Why put Danganronpa in Smash?

Danganronpa represents three things currently not playablely present in Smash Bros.

First, it's a horror franchise! We have a horror assist trophy and plenty of horror spirits, but no character represents horror games in Smash themselves.

Secondly, it's a visual novel franchise. We know Ayumi, the protagonist of Nintendo's own investigation series Famicom Detective, was considered (however briefly) for Melee. A Danganronpa protagonist would provide a great opportunity to reconsider having an investigation-based visual novel moveset in Smash Bros.

Thirdly, it's a franchise from Spike Chunsoft. Spike Chunsoft is a company with a lot of Nintendo collaborations, notably being the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon franchise and, more recently, acting as a sort of go-between company for Nintendo and Brace Yourself Games collaborating on Cadence of Hyrule. So, while Danganronpa is currently only present on Nintendo hardware via cameos in other games (notably in Crypt of the Necrodancer), the company it is from has a close working relationship with Nintendo. This puts them in a similar boat to the one Joker was in prior to his reveal; I'm not saying Danganronpa content is in any way likely, but it is a dark horse that could certainly get into Smash if the stars align.

It is also currently Danganronpa's 10 anniversary! They've teased upcoming announcements for something happening sometime this year. Maybe that'll be a character in Smash! There is like a 99.9% chance it isn't Smash, but it could be! Technically!

What about a stage?

There are a lot of options here, but three places stand out to me: Hope's Peak Academy, the location of the first game major location across the franchise's lore, could work as a moving stage similar to Garreg Mach Monestary; the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles, the location of the third mainline game, could work similarly as well; and the Class Trial Room itself, where you could easily have other students from across the franchise gathering in the background to observe the fight as it goes on.

Smash doesn't care about spoilers. Do you think Danganronpa would be given special treatment?

Honestly? Yes, I kind of do. As a mystery visual novel, Danganronpa is an interesting position for spoilers, as they can really impact player experience. One could argue that spoilers present in the movesets of characters like Banjo or Shulk don't necessarily matter, given how those are games you can play primarily for the gameplay. I think Danganronpa, a third-party murder mystery game not currently on Nintendo hardware, would be treated differently then the franchises Sakurai and the Smash team have been kind of reckless with spoilers for. Which isn't to say I wouldn't expect famous characters as spirits, Mii Costumes, and stage cameos - I would, but presented in not explicitly revealing ways. I also would be surprised if the character themselves directly spoils key plot twists. I do think the music would be taken from across the franchise though, including some endgame and post-game songs.

Now, watch as I be wrong and the next character is revealed to be Monokuma and his final Smash is a 20-minute lecture where he spoils every key event across the entire franchise...

Character is Makoto, just Makoto. I'd rather more then that, but let's just assume it's Makoto by himself doing some truth-lie stuff.

Stage is a travelling stage through Hope's Peak Academy, stopping in 4 rooms which all house 4 character cameos. I was originally going to go with the trial room, but I would expect all the fighting to be on the inside of the circle of people and can't quite picture ideal framing? Like, I don't know how to make a circle of people that circular but also doesn't result in the backs of characters blocking your view... So, I'm pitching this stage stopping in the trial room, but it wouldn't have anyone in the circle itself with cameos and all the fighters just standing in front of it... First stop on the journey through the school is the dorms, "Hotel Despair." Junko, Celeste, Mikan, and Himiko all appear here, standing around and reacting to the battle. If they don't care as much about spoilers as I do, then there is 50/50 odds on Junko being Junko or Makuro... Next is the library! Hajime and Chiaki are here repping DR2. They are joined by Toko and Keebo as fellow nerds. If they don't care about spoilers, then Toko has a 25% chance of sneezing upon witnessing a KO and turning into Jack. Third is the Music Room. No points for guessing who is here - Sayaka, Ibuki, and Kaede rep the musicians. Shuichi joins Kaede. If they don't care about spoilers as much as I do, then Shuichi has a chance of being hatless. If they don't care about all of the content in Smash being directly sourced from a video game, then this scene will change to be a music performance when one of Sayaka's songs is playing (Kaede/Shuichi play piano, Ibuki plays guitar, and Sayaka sings). Finally, the journey ends in trial room. Kyoko, Byakuya, Komaeda, and Kokichi all appear here. Monokuma appears in the background as well, watching the affairs from on high. You could have some Monokuma-related stage hazards here if you really want.

Spirit Board is: Kyoko, Byakuya, Komaru, Hajime, Komaeda, Gundham, Kaede, Shuichi, Monokids, Monokuma.

Mii Costumes are: Monokuma hat, Tenko outfit as a brawler, and Komaru outfit as a gunner.
This is my really weird pitch for a playable trailer for a DR protag with alts. It would be released as a demo for the DR trilogy on Switch, with the demo being publicly encouraged to be played by all and advertised as having "new crossover elements" (ft. screenshots of all casts interacting). They also encourage nobody discuss the contents of the demo until 24 hours after it has been released, a tactic that I'm sure would fail, but seems worth a shot.

The demo is in three phrases - intro, investigation, and trial... like all DR demos.

Phase 1: Makoto wakes up on a desk and meets the Ultimates, just like in the DR1 demo. The casts are a mix from the three main games, plus Komaru, who claims she's been given the title of "The Ultimate Cameo" and is generally confused about what is going on, though happy to see her brother. Dialogue here can be reused from openings or all-new depending on the budget. This section ends once everyone meets at the gym, where Monokuma introduces himself and explains that they have all been trapped inside Hope Peak's Academy to play... a game. When questioned what kind of game, Monokuma says he won't say, but they need to investigate to find out and, as motivation, they will all be executed if they do not figure out why they are there within the day. Everyone panics and splits up into panicked groups to search the school.

Phase 2: While the Ultimates were in the gym, the school was seemingly used as a battleground for some kind of fight, as everything is suddenly much more destroyed. Makoto and Kyoko investigate the damage, finding that the various types of damage (including fireballs, electricity, and a lot of sword-based cuts) are varied and some rely on magic. Himiko insists this is proof of magic being real, explaining the types of attacks that would have caused such damage, while someone else is frustrated with her (IDK who... Komaeda?). You switch PoVs to Hajime, who explores the school with Chiaki and find some things that'd be impossible in reality, notably invisible walls. Miu banters with them, notably being physically unable to swear as much as she'd like and she also observes that her outfit is awkwardly censored. You then switch PoVs to Kaede, who finds a bunch of discarded items alongside Shuichi. She picks up one of them (Mario's hat but drawn as to never show the "M") and tries to encourage Shuichi to put it on, taking off his hat and giving him a pep talk about his insecurities in the process). They discover the hat physically is unable to go on his head, while Chihiro observes and compares this to some sort of programming error. Monokuma calls them to trial room to debate their circumstances.

Phase 3: In trial, Makoto has to prove the use of magic in the fighting, leading Hajime to prove they are in a E-10 video game, leading Kaede to prove it must be a crossover (all using minigames based on how they work in V3). Chiaki declares that it is "Super Sma-" at which point Monokuma declares the trial a success, with Makoto, Hajime, and Kaede as standout investigators. He decides to "award" them with an execution entitled the "Ultimate Invitiation" ("Super High School Level Special Invite" in Japanese), where they are bound together dragged out of the courtroom. As the execution begins, Kaede panickedly reaches her hand out to Shuichi, who successfully grabs her hand and is dragged with them to the new location. They are all then dropped in Battlefield, leading to a gameplay trailer as they decide to figure out how to apply their investigation skills to the world of Smash.

Supporter List:
amageish amageish
@Clumsyzephyr
@kaithehedgefox
@Idon
Geoffrey Druyts Geoffrey Druyts
@NintenZ
@CheeseAnton
C chocolatejr9
Goombaic Goombaic
@Flyboy
@Zeox
@MintPepsi
Commander_Alph Commander_Alph
@ninjahmos
Hinata Hinata
@Jigglymaster
Yiptap Yiptap
I haven't logged onto this site in forever, I have returned just to say...

I'd main Kaede in a heartbeat

amageish

Smash Master
I haven't logged onto this site in forever, I have returned just to say...

I'd main Kaede in a heartbeat
Welcome back! Kaede does seem to be winning the protagonist poll by a wide margin haha. Not that I disagree, of course... She's got a great blend of personality and insight.

May I add you to the supporter list?

amageish

Smash Master

So, in not-especially-shocking news, Danganronpa's 10 Year Anniversary project was finally revealed (one year late) to be a Switch trilogy! That doesn't surprise me!

But what does surprise me is that IT COMES WITH A FULL GAME BASED ON THE V3 ULTIMATE TALENT DEVELOPMENT PLAN?!?! I have sunk 60 hours just into UTDP (not counting time spent actually playing V3), so I am BEYOND thrilled about this. Like, I don't know if a DR announcement could make me happier.

1623775524388.png

Also, the game's key art has a very funny selection of characters... but they knew to put the best one front and center!

Yiptap

Smash Lord

So, in not-especially-shocking news, Danganronpa's 10 Year Anniversary project was finally revealed (one year late) to be a Switch trilogy! That doesn't surprise me!

But what does surprise me is that IT COMES WITH A FULL GAME BASED ON THE V3 ULTIMATE TALENT DEVELOPMENT PLAN?!?! I have sunk 60 hours just into UTDP (not counting time spent actually playing V3), so I am BEYOND thrilled about this. Like, I don't know if a DR announcement could make me happier.

View attachment 319307

Also, the game's key art has a very funny selection of characters... but they knew to put the best one front and center!
Looks at Hifumi
This pleases me.
Oh yeah, the spinoff game (I forgot what it was called) looks really good.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

View attachment 319307

You know, for a character that's generally hated, Hifumi makes this art 10x better.

amageish

Smash Master
Looks at Hifumi
This pleases me.
Oh yeah, the spinoff game (I forgot what it was called) looks really good.
Confidant Hifumi chilling in the background is amazing.

It's also great to see Komaru, even if... UDG isn't included in the bundle?

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I'm surprised UDG isn't included in this collection, yet the bonus game has characters from UDG in there. I wonder if UDG is also coming on the Switch or not.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

View attachment 319307

Kaede my beloved...

I can't wait to see more chill interactions between the DR cast. UTDP made me hunger for more of that.

amageish

Smash Master
I'm surprised UDG isn't included in this collection, yet the bonus game has characters from UDG in there. I wonder if UDG is also coming on the Switch or not.
I wouldn't blame them if they wanted to see how these games do first before justifying the cost... as UDG is both less well received and probably a bit harder to get running on Switch, as a full 3D game... Obviously it could run on the Switch, as it ran on the Vita, but it still would likely cost more to port then DR1/2/V3.

Kaede my beloved...

I can't wait to see more chill interactions between the DR cast. UTDP made me hunger for more of that.
Yeah, that's definitely my biggest source of hype. I did also really like UTDP's gameplay loop and it looks like we're getting the UDG cast involved this time too! Maybe even the anime characters will have more major roles, as opposed to being cameos? Idk if they'll be making new potraits for this game or not, but they are doing new CGs and new outfits, so... maybe?

amageish

Smash Master
So, I see the internet has begun predicting that DRS is secretly a full VN Killing Game game instead of a spin-off, but... I don't think this is possible personally. There's a line between "Bait and Switch Plot Twist" and "Committing the Crime of False Advertising" which I think announcing a game just to have it become another game crosses...

So, with that said, does anyone have any dream interactions in DRS? We've seemingly got a full 4 games of characters to pull from and while UTDP did cover a lot of the obvious cross-game duos/trios, there's still more pairings to be explored! Who would people like to see chatting each other up?

Yiptap

Smash Lord
So, I see the internet has begun predicting that DRS is secretly a full VN Killing Game game instead of a spin-off, but... I don't think this is possible personally. There's a line between "Bait and Switch Plot Twist" and "Committing the Crime of False Advertising" which I think announcing a game just to have it become another game crosses...

So, with that said, does anyone have any dream interactions in DRS? We've seemingly got a full 4 games of characters to pull from and while UTDP did cover a lot of the obvious cross-game duos/trios, there's still more pairings to be explored! Who would people like to see chatting each other up?
Hifumi and Ryoma :4pacman:

amageish

Smash Master
Hifumi and Ryoma :4pacman:
LOL. Big and small. I like it. That could make a very funny CG...

I'll also answer my own question: Kaede needs to spend time with the other female protagonists! Well, Komaru and Toko... As I know you technically briefly control Hina and Mikan, but Komaru and Toko are the permanent ones...

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
My dream interaction is the V3 characters with the V3 characters. I love V3 dude truly I do but my biggest criticism is probably how the characters who aren't the protagonist and their best friends never talk to each other. They just talk to the protagonist... Like we never see anything on what Kirumi thinks of Miu or what Tsumugi thinks of Keebo or a ton of other pairs. DR1 is my fav cast ensemble cuz they really felt like an ensemble, where every character gets to talk with all the other characters without the protagonist having to be involved, so I'm hoping Danganronpa S gives us some of that!

Now that that's off my chest, here's actual dream interactions: Mukuro and Kiyo, Mondo and Akane, Sonia and Tenko, Hifumi and Tsumugi, Taka and Nekomaru, Makoto and Keebo, Rantaro and ANYONE.

amageish

Smash Master
My dream interaction is the V3 characters with the V3 characters. I love V3 dude truly I do but my biggest criticism is probably how the characters who aren't the protagonist and their best friends never talk to each other. They just talk to the protagonist... Like we never see anything on what Kirumi thinks of Miu or what Tsumugi thinks of Keebo or a ton of other pairs. DR1 is my fav cast ensemble cuz they really felt like an ensemble, where every character gets to talk with all the other characters without the protagonist having to be involved, so I'm hoping Danganronpa S gives us some of that!

Now that that's off my chest, here's actual dream interactions: Mukuro and Kiyo, Mondo and Akane, Sonia and Tenko, Hifumi and Tsumugi, Taka and Nekomaru, Makoto and Keebo, Rantaro and ANYONE.
No, I get that. V3 probably has the biggest pool of "important" characters due to every chapter having a new investigation partner, making the main group Kaede, Shuichi, Kaito, Maki, Kokichi, Himiko, Keebo, and Tsumugi, plus there are characters like Miu and Rantaro being plot-important without taking that role, but it isn't nearly as homely-feeling as the original cast. More cross-V3 interactions would be great and I did really like how UTDP already gave us some of that, especially with the Kaede/Maki pairing that had more attention in pre-release materials then it did in the actual game.

I like all of those pairings a lot! I think UTDP did have some Hifumi and Tsumugi, with a scene where she rejects his request to be a cosplayer at his booths at cons, but I'd love to see more of them. Mukuro and Kiyo would be super fun too, especially if Kiyo sees through her disguise.

As for Rantaro, he's front and center in one of the first CGs we've gotten!

Untitled.jpg

I'm unsure how these CGs will work, but they look very nice. The crossovers going on are bordering on absurd haha.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
No, I get that. V3 probably has the biggest pool of "important" characters due to every chapter having a new investigation partner, making the main group Kaede, Shuichi, Kaito, Maki, Kokichi, Himiko, Keebo, and Tsumugi, plus there are characters like Miu and Rantaro being plot-important without taking that role, but it isn't nearly as homely-feeling as the original cast. More cross-V3 interactions would be great and I did really like how UTDP already gave us some of that, especially with the Kaede/Maki pairing that had more attention in pre-release materials then it did in the actual game.

I like all of those pairings a lot! I think UTDP did have some Hifumi and Tsumugi, with a scene where she rejects his request to be a cosplayer at his booths at cons, but I'd love to see more of them. Mukuro and Kiyo would be super fun too, especially if Kiyo sees through her disguise.

View attachment 319653

I'm unsure how these CGs will work, but they look very nice. The crossovers going on are bordering on absurd haha.
Those cutscene images are what I'm looking forward to the most! Honestly their style is a wee bit different. Maybe they got someone other than Rui Komatsuzaki to do them? But they're certainly not bad looking at all, I cannot wait to get my hands on all of them!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

View attachment 319653

Dear Rantaro. i will die and literally kill for you

amageish

Smash Master
Those cutscene images are what I'm looking forward to the most! Honestly their style is a wee bit different. Maybe they got someone other than Rui Komatsuzaki to do them? But they're certainly not bad looking at all, I cannot wait to get my hands on all of them!
Yeah, they look a bit... softer? It's a very similar artstyle, but it does feel like the shading has been toned down to fit the happier world of a fanservice game. I don't know if that means the actual artist has changed or if Komatsuzaki just felt like doing it differently, but I do like it!

I'm very curious how they'll work mechanically... Maybe everyone has a set of CGs assoicated with their routes, overlapping with the routes of the other people depicted on them?

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I'm also curious how they'll work mechanically for another reason. In the visual novels, the special images were the scenes that were fully voiced. The regular conversations just had voice grunts. I really hope they got the voice actors back to voice these new scenes cuz I looooove the English DR voices.

amageish

Smash Master
I'm also curious how they'll work mechanically for another reason. In the visual novels, the special images were the scenes that were fully voiced. The regular conversations just had voice grunts. I really hope they got the voice actors back to voice these new scenes cuz I looooove the English DR voices.
No idea... UTDP did have some unique dialogue though and it seems like they would probably dub some stuff if they're selling this at the same pricepoint as all the other games? Not like you need to call 3 unique casts worth of actors anyway lol

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Don't know if it's been noted here, but
that shot with Nagito waking the player up still sorta has a glitch effect like the first time he did it in DR2. That certainly does carry some implications about the context of the game, though I kinda doubt it will lead to some big story element.

amageish

Smash Master
Don't know if it's been noted here, but
that shot with Nagito waking the player up still sorta has a glitch effect like the first time he did it in DR2. That certainly does carry some implications about the context of the game, though I kinda doubt it will lead to some big story element.
Definitely an intentional callback. I'm doubting the game will have lore much more complicated then the original UTDP's "Junko has made an army of Monokuma in the basement of Hope's Peak, which happens to be a franchise-spanning Mystery Dungeon clone," but it's a good nod and maybe they could justify it being canon with it being a simulation of some sort...

airConditioner

Smash Ace
I'm quite excited for the UTDP mode, hopefully there will be a little more depth to the gameplay aside from being a little fanservice moment. Did anyone notice during the direct that SDR2's first victim was spoiled for a brief second? I'm not sure there were any other spoilers but that was the biggest one I caught, especially considering how important SDR2's first victim is

Top Bottom