• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dallas Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
As much as I agree with moving on to a new game everyone really needs to drop off of the "Bluezaft doesn't like Brawl because he's not good at it" wagon and move on.

Honestly, it's more like "Bluezaft isn't good at Brawl because he doesn't like it."

and @ Bwett: You go girl!

bluezaft

The True Zaft
As much as I agree with moving on to a new game everyone really needs to drop off of the "Bluezaft doesn't like Brawl because he's not good at it" wagon and move on.

Honestly, it's more like "Bluezaft isn't good at Brawl because he doesn't like it."
I still claim the title of highest skill : playtime ratio. And what a prestigious title it is! Anyway, I've decided to avoid playing Brawl from now on since it makes it so I can't play Melee Pikachu. And I'm not willing to make that sacrifice. I might make an exception for teams matches with especially cool kids.

So far I've got Poot, Brave, Reckon, and Fire coming Saturday.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
C'mon ppl you know you rather go to melee 1's brawl event. The only ppl in the world that wanna play melee is ppl like Bluezaft and DOH who lack the nerve to learn a new game. They wanna play a game they have mastered to rule out any challenges from other melee players that don't know as much as them. Drop melee like a bad habit and pick up brawl you know you will have to sooner or later.
We don't lack nerve.

Chris and I have kept Smash alive in Dallas for longer than you've been playing competitively. We've hosted tournaments and smashfests (him moreso than me) and traveled across Texas and the nation (me moreso than him) getting better at smash, learning, and helping others. I've been to the Midwest and the East Coast multiple times and been pretty much everywhere in Texas (except the Valley - sorry guys, that's a monster drive) in the name of Melee.

Brawl just doesn't draw the same excitement for me. I don't feel that rush of control of my character that comes with my Melee experience, and I don't feel the drive to learn like I did when I found competitive Melee.

I don't know what it is. Maybe it's how the community has changed (in my opinion) for the worst, as any criticism of Brawl is met with harsh resistance at all levels; even the Back Room dissent isn't tolerated. Something seems different with this younger bunch too. Plank said something about toasting the memory of Melee and "to the nights that turned into mornings, and the friends that turned into family." I don't think this new community will have that same bond that the Melee one does, which was a strong factor in me playing for so long.

Chris and I have tried to carefully warrant why we don't enjoy Brawl, or why we think that Melee is a superior game for tournament purposes, but most of you all just call us scared or elitist or insult our knowledge about Brawl. And then you expect us to come to your Brawl events. Classy.

There was a time when I would spend days at smashfests. Now I just generally don't feel like it. Whether it's just that Brawl is boring, or I'm getting older and my priorities are shifting, or maybe I'm just hitting my Drew-esque slump where I'm worn out of smash.

Once you look past the surface, I think you would realize that Brawl isn't what you hold it up to be.

And it's not just Chris and I that are dissatisfied with Brawl; just in Texas, there's Chang, Xelic, Caveman, FASTLIKETREE, among others. Nationally, there's Gimpyfish and the rest of the Washington kids, Cort, Plank, Wife, M2K, Cactuar. There's something that we all have in common.

We want to play a good game. A deep game. For me, there's still so much to learn in Melee. I'm even picking up other characters that make the game more fun. Brawl gets old really fast to me and doesn't carry with it that same excitement. 7 years later, Melee still does.

I'm going to Georgia.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162644

Who's coming with?

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
We want to play a good game. A deep game. For me, there's still so much to learn in Melee. I'm even picking up other characters that make the game more fun. Brawl gets old really fast to me and doesn't carry with it that same excitement. 7 years later, Melee still does.
DoH you can't say stuff like this and think you're being careful about expressing your dislike of Brawl. Brawl is good and plenty deep. Picking up new characters isn't really learning new things about melee, its just learning things you didn't know cause you played peach the whole time. That's like me saying I can learn a whole lot more because I play someone other than samus. I wouldn't be doing anything new just stuff I didn't know. Blue has done a fine job of expressing his dislike without assuming things like Brawl isn't deep or good. Its just not his kind of game and that's fine. You should know by now anyone giving you flak over not liking brawl is probably some scrub. The melee community's closeness will still be in Brawl's even if it is just with those of us who started in melee. At first I thought too that Brawl made me board fast and wasn't all that fun, but I remember that's also what I thought when I tried to get into competitive melee and so gave Brawl a second chance. I'm not saying you have to give Brawl another chance, but don't look down on those who enjoy it.

Have fun in Georgia!

felix45

Smash Lord
I like brawl >.>

I would like melee if there wasn't crouch canceling. I was glad to go to brawl. although I do wish brawl had dash dancing like in melee, then I'd be set.

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
Both games are awesome and take so much skill and time to master. I probably going to play both. I miss melee.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
I would like melee if there wasn't crouch canceling. I was glad to go to brawl. although I do wish brawl had dash dancing like in melee, then I'd be set.
Crouch canceling!? I forgot all about crouch canceling!

And for the record I wish I liked Brawl. I had an open mind about the game for a long time before it came out, and I wanted it to be as different from Melee as Melee was from 64. It wasn't until I found out about the shield buffs and reduced hit stun and so on that I started having pessimistic thoughts, but even so I gave it a shot and hoped for the best. Sadly, what I got was something about as fun as Go Fish.

Ratatat

Smash Apprentice
i learned how to play go fish like 4-5 days ago, its pretty fun i have to say...
:D

Jumpman__

Smash Cadet
Brawl is a very deep game that has so many secrets that nobody knows about yet just like melee. You can't be so quick to not like brawl just because they've changed a few things from melee. It's a new game that I myself learn something new about everyday and to me never gets old. Melee was a great game and still is but so is Brawl. I would like to see someone beat my wolf! :) Oh btw, Bluezaft I am that Mario that went to the Play n' trade tournament a few months ago (Melee 1's brother). To me Brawl's level of fun = Melee's level of fun.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Who are you, I have never been 4-stocked in brawl. Ill play you anyday ,anytime, in front of anyone and beat you on melee or brawl. I actually think i 4-stocked you and on severall ocasions. You must not be anygood if I cant remember you!
Sorry, it was an inside joke XD

And sorry again, we've never played.

But, I am afraid I'm going to have to beat you. Hope you don't mind.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but as it looks I will be attending sir Blue.

Bwett

Smash Ace
Ok, we really don't need to get into the whole melee vs. brawl argument again. People keep saying the same thing over and over again. So let's settle it as this like with any other sequel of a fighting game. Some people like Brawl more or equal. Some people like Melee more or equal. The reasons are not needed and need not be explained because it won't change the minds of most people, since they are opinions. If you don't enjoy Brawl, stop bashing it. If you would rather play Brawl, stop trying to convince those who don't enjoy it. I don't care what reason they give, whether you believe the reason is nonsensical. Well, my rant is now complete lol.

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, it was an inside joke XD

And sorry again, we've never played.

But, I am afraid I'm going to have to beat you. Hope you don't mind.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but as it looks I will be attending sir Blue.
No hard feelings and good luck to you when we do play.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Hey people, i don't much like ranting, it makes me feel repetitive and further perpetuates my problem with said issue.

I would However like to play Brawl or Melee today, would anyone like to play either with me?

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I would like to see someone beat my wolf! :)
I'm your Huckleberry. (the first person to tell me where that's from wins the prize)

We'll get in a few friendlies somewhere down the line dude.

Ok, we really don't need to get into the whole melee vs. brawl argument again. People keep saying the same thing over and over again. So let's settle it as this like with any other sequel of a fighting game. Some people like Brawl more or equal. Some people like Melee more or equal. The reasons are not needed and need not be explained because it won't change the minds of most people, since they are opinions. If you don't enjoy Brawl, stop bashing it. If you would rather play Brawl, stop trying to convince those who don't enjoy it. I don't care what reason they give, whether you believe the reason is nonsensical. Well, my rant is now complete lol.
Quoted for truthery.

Hey people, i don't much like ranting, it makes me feel repetitive and further perpetuates my problem with said issue.

I would However like to play Brawl or Melee today, would anyone like to play either with me?
I'm down for either even though I suck at Melee, gimme a call later dude. I get off work at 7.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
I HAVE A DREAM!
I have a dream that one day the forum of Smashboards, whose Admin's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little brawl boys and brawl girls will be able to join hands with little melee boys and melee girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
I HAVE A DREAM!
I have a dream that one day the forum of Smashboards, whose Admin's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little brawl boys and brawl girls will be able to join hands with little melee boys and melee girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.
little brawl girls

lol

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
No hard feelings and good luck to you when we do play.

Just in case, so I don't have to make up johns later, I was joking. I'm not really going to be able to beat you. But I can **** well try! XD

Anybody here think Zero Suit Samus can't Uair juggle? I did it at last saturday's smash fest, and for some reason everyone in the ZSS thread says it's impractical and useless.

Loyde

Smash Cadet
Anybody here think Zero Suit Samus can't Uair juggle? I did it at last saturday's smash fest, and for some reason everyone in the ZSS thread says it's impractical and useless.
It's not useless, it's the closest thing to a combo you can get with Zamus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom