• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dallas Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratatat

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone signed up for that online smashwars tournament on the 29th?
i did, but i realize it coincides with the play n trade tourny... so i dont know

Reckon

Smash Apprentice
I'll be playing all night. ADD ME IF YOURS IS POSTED!

-Reckon... Wario dittos?
Im down, Id prefer offline with poot and the crew but whatever is convenient works best.
Youre on my friend list yet Ive havent seen you online, only confirmed.

Ratatat

Smash Apprentice
Most awkward team matches ever. :p
haha yeah that was me and my little cousin when he joined the red team with ya'll we were both laughing so hard.

but we did get straight up owned by you and RoK
6-stocked twice and 5-stocked 2-3 times...hah yeah it was bad

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
F4L:

probably the weirdest matches I've had all day LOL soooo many suicides.
sorry I left so sudden I have a date tomorrow and if I don't go to sleep RIGHTNOW I'll oversleep lol and then she'll kill me :p

Darth Vivi

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I live in the Dallas area, and I remember posting in this topic a while ago. Mind adding my FC? I'm looking for online Brawlers and I'll probably attend some of the stuff at UTD/other Dallas areas now that I can drive.

4983-4701-3041

bluezaft

The True Zaft
What, light? You can't just claim light. Light is for everybody. I'm pretty sure the sun isn't private property yet.

So I just lost in finals to a Pit that did nothing but run the the edges and camp with projectiles. A totally unbeatable strategy, proving the competitive depth of Brawl. Honestly, if that's the future of competitive Brawl, I don't want to be a part of it.

miekniek

Smash Rookie
haha gg f4l
i was in the middle of adding people when i saw the open game so i joined with wiimote only :p

outRAGEous

Smash Journeyman
the prince of light is what i call white marth. someone knows this. this person is not you bluezaft.

are you really suprised that someone outcamped you bluezaft and won. is this not how broly beat you? do you wonder why doh can beat broly, but you can't?

edit: also the light that i am referring to does not have to be from the sun.

runningbrave

Smash Journeyman
i am already tired of brawl. the lack of speed, DI, l canceling, well the whole physics system just isn't for me. i will forever play 64 and melee however so all you nubs out there better keep playing so i have someone to smash.

funny how in brawl youre able to auto sweetspot.
getting up from the ledge unchallenged is very easy.
you trip if you try to move in a useful/quick way.
and you can air dodge any direction but down.
crouch canceling is gone. which was a huge aspect/advantage.
but nubs and those who didn't play smash often greatly outnumber the individuals who excelled at the previous installments so you know where the money's at.

props to Jeff, James, Chris, Kennith, Reid, and Ben.
i know yall still play 64/melee and i hope you continue to.

EDIT: The Prince of Light is still overshadowed by the might of BLOOD MARTH.. (?/lol)

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Bluezaft: Very funny Blue. And if you play Pikachu, you should not have had any problem as MilkShake's Pikachu is camp-a-nomics and I beat him on Wifi. xD

Everyone, I'm proud to announce that I won my District Finals (Unlike Chris Wedge =] ) So, I'll be reppin' us in the Regionals. My Ike is WAY too good. I'm looking for everyone's support!

BTW. Pit's projectiles are annoying, which is why you should stay close. Pikachu has a sort of Chain Grab in Brawl, Good Down smash, his Down B comes out faster and he has a good down a. Despite him camping, you should've won. My Ike can beat camping Pit's you should be able to.

milkshake33

Smash Apprentice
i tend to agree greatly with brave on this one... sadly brawl doesnt even get close to comparing with melee.

Even though i wasnt even close to being as good as the people who play on the boards, it was still fun jsust to go and watch the truly good players play melee..... i doubt the competitive scene will get as big as it was in melee...

go ahead and try to give reasons why brawl is better, u really cant

lol, ya my pikachu is scared to fight :).... but thats the only way to win in this horrible game they call super smash brothers brawl

And btw rok, ur ike is ok, u beat me like 6 out of ten matches lol sry u beat ME! 6 out of ten matches and thats taking in to account i 3 stocked u twice..... bot times u playing ike

felix45

Smash Lord
So I just lost in finals to a Pit that did nothing but run the the edges and camp with projectiles. A totally unbeatable strategy, proving the competitive depth of Brawl. Honestly, if that's the future of competitive Brawl, I don't want to be a part of it.
if you cant get around arrows maybe you aren't doing something right. I dont find the arrows to be any different than falco laser spam in melee.

also, if anyone wants bluezaft to be a part of the competitive future of brawl, please speak!

@runningbrave - there are lag cancels in brawl :p. also I get most of my kills either via ledge gaurds or on getup from ledge. you should at least give brawl a year of play before giving up :)

anyways online lag sucks balls. i played f4l and the game would skip inputs so I couldn't combo or punish half the time. if anyone wants to play IRL this week I'm on spring break so if you hit me up on aim I'll probably be able to play. well I do have 3 papers to write but those can wait till last minute :p

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
you cant be pit arrow spam ?? even the level 1 cpus can get around that... you must really suck...

bluezaft

The True Zaft
I do when I have to use a nunchuk to play.

But congratulations, you're an idiot, Spyda. What I'm saying here is that projectile camping is the future of competitive play. Characters are slower with less maneuverability and projectiles are BETTER. It's idiotic. When I play some people online all they do is throw crap at me...and these are friendlies, no less.

On Battlefield, I'm Pika, he throwing arrows. I can't camp back because he can just kill my jolts with arrows, reflect them, or shield. I can't approach on foot because he's shooting arrows. I can't roll towards him because he knows how to punish it. I can't approach in air because there's a platform over him and all his attacks outrange all my aerials. Is there something I'm missing?

Brawl is just stupidly made. Every change from Melee has been in the favor of defensive play: shield buffs, no l-cancel, better projectiles, grabs are pretty pointless... And the cool, fun things about smash are gone (such as combos, felix, whether you choose to believe it or not).

Brawl is only fun against people who won't camp against you. But if someone really wants to win, he's going to camp, because it's a broken strategy. That's why I have no interest in getting competitive with Brawl.

@runningbrave - there are lag cancels in brawl :p. also I get most of my kills either via ledge gaurds or on getup from ledge. you should at least give brawl a year of play before giving up :)
No offense, but I don't think doing something that bores you for a year in the hopes that it may someday not bore you as much is a good use of time.

felix45

Smash Lord
if you think camping is broken, then be pit and camp against me, and if you win every time I'll admit camping with arrows and playing defense is a broken strategy.

also, rolling isn't your only option for approaching arrows. it is especially easy if your opponent is mashing b to spam them, because then they are really really predictable. plus, with diminishing returns, the arrows after about 4 of them do only 1-2% each with faster recovery the longer the spam goes on.

I also have found plenty of combos with my main, maybe you haven't discovered your character's combo potential yet? I have combos that go into grabs, combos after grabs, combos that start with tilts, smashes, and aerials. I've also been getting tons of gimp kills, something else that is something of a signature of the smash series.

also, on this note, I'd love to play everyone in dallas, but online sucks and I cant drive everywhere all week. smashfest anyone?

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
I do when I have to use a nunchuk to play.

But congratulations, you're an idiot, Spyda. What I'm saying here is that projectile camping is the future of competitive play. Characters are slower with less maneuverability and projectiles are BETTER. It's idiotic. When I play some people online all they do is throw crap at me...and these are friendlies, no less.

On Battlefield, I'm Pika, he throwing arrows. I can't camp back because he can just kill my jolts with arrows, reflect them, or shield. I can't approach on foot because he's shooting arrows. I can't roll towards him because he knows how to punish it. I can't approach in air because there's a platform over him and all his attacks outrange all my aerials. Is there something I'm missing?

Brawl is just stupidly made. Every change from Melee has been in the favor of defensive play: shield buffs, no l-cancel, better projectiles, grabs are pretty pointless... And the cool, fun things about smash are gone (such as combos, felix, whether you choose to believe it or not).

Brawl is only fun against people who won't camp against you. But if someone really wants to win, he's going to camp, because it's a broken strategy. That's why I have no interest in getting competitive with Brawl.

No offense, but I don't think doing something that bores you for a year in the hopes that it may someday not bore you as much is a good use of time.

Laff, you cant approach with a speedy tiny character with its own projectile? My case it proven, you really do suck.

I have seen Ike players online, offline, and on youtube approach Pit players spamming arrows up, down, left, right, loop-de-do, and up. I play gimpyfish vs his bowser and he approaches me like nothing is being fired at all. Please learn to play before you make an assumption about how all competitive players will end up playing in the future. And learn how to jump, spot dodge, and power shield. Rolling isn't your only option. Stop being scrub.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
So are you incapable of abstract thought or what? I say "camping" and you think that means that Pit is nailed to the spot equipped with nothing but a B button? Are you really so dumb as to take the word "unbeatable" literally? And now you're giving me advice on how to avoid arrows. Such as...powershield! You mean all I have to do to beat a camper is to powershield at least more than half of the fastest projectiles in Brawl!? Wow!

I'm saying projectiles and camping with them is too powerful for purposes of having fun with this game. I'm sorry if I made that sentence too complicated for you.

Why are you here anyway? I try so hard to avoid stupid noobs and here you are.

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
So are you incapable of abstract thought or what? I say "camping" and you think that means that Pit is nailed to the spot equipped with nothing but a B button? Are you really so dumb as to take the word "unbeatable" literally? And now you're giving me advice on how to avoid arrows. Such as...powershield! You mean all I have to do to beat a camper is to powershield at least more than half of the fastest projectiles in Brawl!? Wow!

I'm saying projectiles and camping with them is too powerful for purposes of having fun with this game. I'm sorry if I made that sentence too complicated for you.

Why are you here anyway? I try so hard to avoid stupid noobs and here you are.
I am pretty sure in your first reply, you said spamming arrows was broken... so as in broken in a fighting game... you mean it is unbeatable.... I was simply stating that it was beatable... sorry that your word UNBEATABLE via internet was supposed to strike me as a jokingly used term. I could say, hey you totally suck and like to eat dog food, but wait did you take that literally? Camping with projectiles was in melee, people got around that. I jumped and flew around FD trying to camp arrow spam... once the person was in contact with me, I was completely boned. Yes, I did other moves too, but the player was smart enough to not let me get proper spacing to arrow spam continuously. I thought you were the best guy in Dallas, sad to see you give up and complain about something as simple and dismal as arrow camping/spam. Maybe you should stop whining and figure out other ways around it... if you want the easy way out, just pick fox or wolf and reflect and make them approach you.

Oh wait, was that too simple for you? Does your pro mindset not acknowledge simple reflect moves? Sorry, I'll come up with something more adv. and technical for you later.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
I am pretty sure in your first reply, you said spamming arrows was broken... so as in broken in a fighting game... you mean it is unbeatable.... I was simply stating that it was beatable... sorry that your word UNBEATABLE via internet was supposed to strike me as a jokingly used term. I could say, hey you totally suck and like to eat dog food, but wait did you take that literally?
It’s almost as if you DON’T KNOW ME. Everyone I wrote that post for understood me because they know me. Again, what are you doing here? Is it your mission to flit from random thread to random thread, attempting to convince people that Brawl is great? You’re doing a bang-up job.

I thought you were the best guy in Dallas, sad to see you give up and complain about something as simple and dismal as arrow camping/spam.
The game has been out a week, how could I, or anyone, possibly be the best in Dallas? Of course I’m sure you aren’t talking about Melee, since that would be totally irrelevant (even if it were true).

Despite your heroic efforts, Brawl still bores me. I have some fun playing it with friends but I’m not interested in taking things much further than that. Judging by your assertions of how hard you camp, you play to win. That’s fine, I don’t care. But unlike you, I don’t have such a passion for winning matches. I play just for the fun of it. Camping right back or playing a character I don’t like playing with (Fox and Wolf, as you provided) does not appeal to me. Not to mention there are several other reasons I don’t like Brawl as much, which you ignored.

If some great new strategy develops that somehow eliminates the unbeatable totally broken unfair everyone loses to it daily (remember what we talked about now!) projectile camping and also makes the game more fun (other than the awesome POWERSHIELDING STRATEGY, of course) we’ll talk. But I’m not going to put the energy into it. There are other things I’d much rather do, like catch up on my reading…or play Melee.

So can you go away now?

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
as long as you are a big baby, I'll never disappear

If you play smart, you should still be better than most people and can figure a way to outsmart the ingenious skill of arrow camping

Powershielding is like teching in 3rd strike, it takes precise timing and gives you an opportune moment to counter. While, I know you are far away, but if you powershield walk, like I've seen many people do, you can approach him without ever losing your shield. Practice and get your timing down.

Don't bash on how my ideas were worthless, when you came up with nothing, but whining. Brawl sucks because of etc, etc. Give me a break. If it bothers you so much, then don't even post in these boards anymore.

What next? You going to say you come here for all the friends and community? Go outside and make some real friends.

Stop whining like a 4 year old little girl, it's a game, get better or quit. No one needs to hear you cry about something you can't beat.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
well seems i was right bout brawl. its jus not as fun as melee. but i'll continue to play it for the reason that i'm sure i'll find some way to make it more fun. its jus the lack of speed and advance techniques. and i agree wit u blue. don't know who the hell dis spyda kid is though haha.

i'll give brawl bout another month before i make my decision if i wanna jus keep playin it like crazy

ohhhhhhhhhh yea i joined BKM for brawl.

cHaotix

Smash Rookie
Brawl is alright... I don't have a wii yet but I already have the game and played 3 matches online along with a few random ones with friends. It's certainly no melee and a hell of a lot of things have been changed. Despite what people have been saying, it's as if designers buffed up characters just because people who weren't good at melee complained. :/ The removal of the "glitches" L cancel and fast fall only seem to decrease the difference in skill between players. The game pretty much just limits you to the same old rolling and dodging techniques, which really offers no flexibility or increase in skill other than, "knowing when/where to dodge". In short, it's as if the Smash series has been dumbed down so that everyone plays the same and eliminates any form of competition without building any real skills... At least Kirby isn't horrible anymore. ¦ /

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
GrayFoxl: OH SNAPZ. that was you I played in the Finals? Yeah man, it was ridiculous. Ontop of that, Ike's Final Smash *****, didn't think it would carry you all the way to the top.

Bluezaft: Blue, all you really did was play hella defensive and camp anyway; I'm surprised you haven't picked up Pit. Brawl is way more fun than melee ever was, the Idea of the chars making everyone even and your SKILL and TECHNIQUE are the only things that decide your superiority sound good to me. People with those things will win in Brawl.

I don't know, Me plaing Roy has forced me to have a good technique, even if it's not evident sometimes. Falcos lasers are more annoying than Pit's arrows, but If your char's sword (Marth/Blue) is shorter, I guess you get pissed you can't hit them from ten feet. Or if you can't increase your chars speed to insane levels (Brave/Poot/Rage) with L-Cancelling and Wave dashing techniques. If your character can no longer wreck havoc in percentage due to Crouch cancelling (Peach's Down Smash/DoH/Zac), or anything else.

When UTD Zac played me, he had a VERY good Technique, even though I lucked up and 3 stocked him once, you could tell his skill off the back. People that have no clue, and people that can adapt are shown very well. Brawl is a "think on your feet game" and so many characters are made good in this game it's hard for me to pick a secondary.

"Auto sweet spot kills the game" How about you go out there and ACTUALLY go beyond standing on the stage to edgeguard? Sound like a plan?

To me, it sounds like you all just want a way to automatically try to own ***. I like this, it resets everyone. Sure, the game isn't as fast as Melee, but screw that; Smash 64 is floatier. And they have NONE of the ****. But what do they have? L-cancelling due to combos and that's enough to keep them playing? Sounds like to me you're all butthurt over no L-canceling/Wavedashing. Grow up =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom