• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cyber-bullying in Smash Board

MaxfireXSA

Banned via Warnings
Link to original post: [drupal=773]Cyber-bullying in Smash Board[/drupal]

Now I know one time that I got flamed by some members in that thread over here.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204422

I just made a few reports on them, and the Smash Board staffs did or did not take care of the members that I got flamed by. And sometimes that I don't know if there's flame wars, forum dramas, and trolling in any Smash Board community.

Here's what should I talk about.

Cyber-bullying

Cyber-bullying is where people in websites or forums use to flame at them or maybe harmed them. Sometimes people say hurtful things in websites or forums and sometimes they usually get their account closed/banned or suspended for assaulting, attacking, and flaming at other members in websites or forums.

But in 'JS MUGEN' forum, for example, I have heard that one other member in 'Magic Deck Vortex' forums said there is mostly Flame Wars and Forum Dramas around the 'JS MUGEN' forum and there's few threads that are locked, because the staffs in 'JS MUGEN' forum were not well-moderated, and that's why there is some or most members in 'JS MUGEN' forum committed a Cyber-bullying.

Click on the link to learn about Cyber-bullying.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber-bullying

To protect yourself from Cyber-bullying. Click on this link.
http://www.stopcyberbullying.org/index2.html

If there is some of you guys got flamed by other members in Smash Board, report them so the staffs will take care of them.

NOTE: This blog is not a spam, this is serious.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Yea Cyber-Bullying is very serious but if possible just try not to say anything to get flamed lol.

edit: oh wait ur the guy talking about meta-knight sucking and how the prima guide is good. yea i retract my statement lol.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yea Cyber-Bullying is very serious but if possible just try not to say anything to get flamed lol.

edit: oh wait ur the guy talking about meta-knight sucking and how the prima guide is good. yea i retract my statement lol.
This is epic win.

But seriously. You were not FLAMED. As I said, I've gotten much worse than that and I still would barely consider it to be flaming. Also, if you had given up when everyone and their grandmother informed you of your misinformation, it wouldn't have gotten to that point.

You just need to learn to stop taking so much offense to things. I mean, I'm pretty sensitive and get upset over things easily but even I think you overreacted. You even considered spelling/grammar critique to be flaming. That's not flaming, and it's certainly not cyber-bullying.

None of what happened was. It was you having very flawed arguments, refusing to accept what people were saying (other opinions seemed to hurt your feelings...you know, god forbid you have to face opposition in life), and then people got more forceful to try and knock some sense into your head.

Not to mention that cyber-bullying generally applies to people bullying someone whom they know in real life and bullying that person via technology. And it's also officially defined as applying to children, tweens, and teens. Not everyone on this forum is in one of those groups, so your argument falls apart right there.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'll admit maybe a FEW posts in there were mean or whatever...but...you know what I'll be quiet.

Yes, cyber-bullying is a dumb thing to do to anyone, but you really shouldn't get completely upset. These people...you probably will NEVER meet them in person, and you can only go by their personality. Like I said, in that blog post there were a FEW people that said some mean stuff, and I'm actually pretty sure they got an infraction or whatever.

You have to understand that here on SWF, people really don't care about people that have no understanding at all of any of the given games, be it Melee, Brawl, Smash64, or Brawl+. Don't consider this flaming, but in that post you clearly referenced to the Prima Guide, and that's where you mostly went wrong. People don't like being told a guide is better then the 8 or 9 months they've been playing this game, and UNDOUBTFULLY have a better understanding then in the Guide.

My advice is to just let go of the past, forgive the people that insulted you the MOST, (not people who corrected your grammar) and move on.

Just my opinions.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Flame = " **** you ******* "
Not-flame = "You're wrong in every way because... yadda, yadda, yadda."

You were not flamed.

Tenki

Smash Hero
There's a bunch of "cyber bullying" that goes on. There's a few cases where the person in question doesn't even know it's happening. After reading through your link, there is no such 'cyber bullying' going on. There's just a sharp disagreement between competitive players who play against human players and your conclusions based off of playing a computer opponent and a guide for casual players.

Alot of your complaints seem to be that you're not versed in the competitive side of smash yet you try to make statements concerning it. A large majority of the people who use this site are competitive players who play against each other in tournaments for a prize. They risk, they win, they lose as well.

For example, imagine you're creating a house of cards. You've spent quite some time trying to set it up. A 10 year old comes by, having seen a picture book with a cartoon illustration of a house of cards, and tries to imitate it and add onto your house of cards. Your house of cards falls down. You might get annoyed at the child. You might try to explain to the child that what he saw in the picture book just isn't how they are in real life. But the child starts to cry and tell you you're wrong, because your house of cards wasn't matching what he saw. And then he cries to his mommy and tells her that you're not letting him play.

That's basically what went on here ._.;

Levitas

the moon
It's important to recognize that while your tests were empirical, your conclusions were generalized far past what the test could possibly encompass.

The people may not have been polite while telling you this, but they weren't excessive, either. If you don't do sufficient research about the claims that you're making, be prepared to be attacked. This applies ANYWHERE, not just online. Look at politics. Look at an engineering team. Try telling your teacher/prof something outrageously unresearched/untrue on an assignment.

Bullying is something else entirely. Bullying is asserting a superior social position through excessive insults/physically attacking. Obviously, the insults are the only part that apply to cyber bullying. However, if you assert a conclusion incorrectly, people aren't attacking you to gain social status. It's to make sure that your incorrect conclusion isn't taken as fact. It's not the nicest way to do so, but the motive is COMPLETELY different.

I don't advocate flaming. You will rarely see me commit an ad hominum. But you need to recognize why you're under the gun if you find yourself in that situation.

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
This is epic win.

But seriously. You were not FLAMED. As I said, I've gotten much worse than that and I still would barely consider it to be flaming. Also, if you had given up when everyone and their grandmother informed you of your misinformation, it wouldn't have gotten to that point.

You just need to learn to stop taking so much offense to things. I mean, I'm pretty sensitive and get upset over things easily but even I think you overreacted. You even considered spelling/grammar critique to be flaming. That's not flaming, and it's certainly not cyber-bullying.

None of what happened was. It was you having very flawed arguments, refusing to accept what people were saying (other opinions seemed to hurt your feelings...you know, god forbid you have to face opposition in life), and then people got more forceful to try and knock some sense into your head.

Not to mention that cyber-bullying generally applies to people bullying someone whom they know in real life and bullying that person via technology. And it's also officially defined as applying to children, tweens, and teens. Not everyone on this forum is in one of those groups, so your argument falls apart right there.
this is pretty much all that needs to be said...

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
First - you were only "flamed" after you ignored COUNTLESS replies that proved you were wrong, yet you stubbornly refused to accept the obvious facts presented to you in your thread about MK.

Second - you are taking this way too seriously. These are random people on the internet and they have ONLY AS MUCH EFFECT ON YOUR LIFE AS YOU LET THEM HAVE. They don't know where you live, what your real name is, how old you are, etc. You can simply ignore them. Reporting everyone who forcefully pposes you is just a surefire way to make SWF hate you. You're already going down that road, to the point where we might unintentionally drive you out of this community.

Summed up: It's the freaking internet. Chill.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
So if anyone doesn't agree with you that's automatically considered flaming. . .? Alright. Nearly everyone on this board needs to be banned for not having my exact views on SSB4.

Oh. . .This is fun. . .So many people to talk to now. . .

What you did was a cop-out. Due to being unable to prove your arguments, you dismissed everyone who opossed you as people flaming you. Since, after all, the world revolves around you, and anyone who dares oppose you should be silenced!

*Bows before you*

MK shouldn't be banned! All hail the prima guide!

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD

Mith_

Smash Champion
so If Anyone Doesn't Agree With You That's Automatically Considered Flaming. . .? Alright. Nearly Everyone On This Board Needs To Be Banned For Not Having My Exact Views On Ssb4.

Oh. . .this Is Fun. . .so Many People To Talk To Now. . .

What You Did Was A Cop-out. Due To Being Unable To Prove Your Arguments, You Dismissed Everyone Who Opossed You As People Flaming You. Since, After All, The World Revolves Around You, And Anyone Who Dares Oppose You Should Be Silenced!

*bows Before You*

Mk Shouldn't Be Banned! All Hail The Prima Guide!

all Hail The Hypnotoad

All Hail Hypnotoad

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
The only place I met mean people I've met on Smashboards were the people at the Brawl: Link board. No offense to any users who read this and go there, cause you might be one of the nicer ones, but whenever I have gone there, there were always a group of users who acted like... crap, I can't say that word... you get the idea.

Mith_

Smash Champion
yea i visited there twice and its pretty ruff.
i don't see it as cyber bullying though i see it as people fighting for their friends.

smasher?o.0

Smash Journeyman
ahaha AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
i sense a sensitive person
guess what, you just whined about the lamest thing ever!
AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HA!
grow some balls
(sorry if you are a girl)
not u^ girl person

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
i find it pathetic on some peoples parts where you say a statement and then they totally flame you cause they dont agree on what you said, like caps on so it looks like they are yelling at you.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Chances are, they're stupid little 12 years old who live in a rich suburban neighborhood but still complain about everything, aren't popular in school, and suck at Smash Brothers. Ignore them, they're not worth it.

And if you're one of those 12 year olds yourself, then lol.

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
MOST FUCKING EPIC THREAD EVER.

^Sums Maxfire up pretty well.
Apparently, not knowing that MK in Smash is broken is stupid. Seriously, how are you going to college if you don't know about MK's brokeness?

See, I was so nice to him. Now he left our boards forever. And it's all YOUR fault.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Come on dude, stop being so sensitive. You proposed an extremely flawed argument. People shot down your argument, and you reported them.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Lol, that wasn't cyber bullying.
You should've seen the sonic boards back in the day. Know why we're called the back alley of SWF? Cuz of him.
|
V

:093:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I don't know. I went to the Ike board once, and though people criticized my opinions, they weren't mean about it.

Top Bottom