• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I was talking more about how CR on the GameCube had a couple of waifu material characters like Marcia and Linda if anyone remembers them, that is. And just expand on going the users of the robos as being, well, attractive. The game itself had anime-esque expressions/designs so it is on the starting line, so to speak regarding it.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Man, I always liked those two characters. (You're forgetting Harry's sister. Isabella and Eliza are low-tier and everyone knows it.)

I swear, my one fear of expanding on Custom Robo in this regard would be the sacrifices that might be made in the process This is the part where I cull the rant I have about Modern Fire Emblem

---------

But I do think a stronger story (be it serious or lighthearted) would serve Custom Robo well enough. I liked how ridiculous Custom Robo GC's world was (I'm a sucker for Post-Apoc that isn't actually that bad when you think about the alternative), but the characters were widely ranging in quality and none of them were terribly complex...but the Portrait Art was both hilarious and...kinda trash at the same time.

But, as a game with great potential now that Nintendo is on the online scene more prominently?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
We've discussed this earlier in the thread, I believe.

This only means that someone else can use the name and not get in trouble. The series itself is not dead.
Definitely not a good sign though

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Oh, no doubt about that. Then there's the issues concerning sales and the sort of the last game...

Which I, myself, never could find in stores nor have I yet to. Heard mixed thoughts on the DS venture overall, however.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Regardless, this could still resort in a Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon type situation. Well, except for the part about the original company owner deciding to use the IP to disguise unrelated games as actual franchise entries, but that's neither here nor there.

The only problem is, can be there be an indie company that's up to the task of making new Custom Robo games?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Regardless, this could still resort in a Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon type situation. Well, except for the part about the original company owner deciding to use the IP to disguise unrelated games as actual franchise entries, but that's neither here nor there.

The only problem is, can be there be an indie company that's up to the task of making new Custom Robo games?
No. Not at the moment.

But one fan (The owner of that Ray for Smash page) wants to buy the IP and rub it in the faces of Nintendo and Noise. But at the same time, I told him that trademarks are not easy to buy and he will need a Kickstarter to get funding for making his own Custom Robo (and a good development team).

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
...My picture fits my thoughts on that guy's 'buy the IP' line of thinking.

But it does all come back to the wonderful world of money. But hey, maybe Synaptic Drive will become the new Custom Robo? Though I wouldn't put my money on it, if its going to strive for that whole eSports route.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No. Not at the moment.

But one fan (The owner of that Ray for Smash page) wants to buy the IP and rub it in the faces of Nintendo and Noise. But at the same time, I told him that trademarks are not easy to buy and he will need a Kickstarter to get funding for making his own Custom Robo (and a good development team).
Best of luck to him in that case. Kickstarter projects are definitely not an easy task to pull off, given that even remakes of single games can't get off the ground without proper funding (case in point, Boogerman). Successful ones can take months, if not years, of work before the games can become a reality and get all the planned content.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
No. Not at the moment.

Oh pffffft. That's a laugh. Imma check out what you mean.

Edit: Sounds like an Idea Guy. The series would be better off dead.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, what now? It's up creek without a paddle to support Ray for Smash when no one's currently in a position to revive the series.

Unless Sakurai throws caution to the wind and goes "screw the license, I do what I want."

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman

Custom Robo is still a known part of Nintendo's catalogue and/or History, with trophy representation spanning multiple games at the minimum.

Even if the series is dead., a Ray-type representative might be able to get in under the unofficial 'Retro Character' concept, despite the series lasting up until the past decade. Most character concepts regardless of origin have varying amounts of viability when one ignores concepts of 'It Needs Representation's and the sort.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

So what exactly does this mean? Ray (and I guess Custom Robo as a whole, for this matter) have absolutely NO chance to even appear in Smash (Minor capacity or not), let alone get a new game?

It means exactly that.

Someone will have to buy the rights if he will ever have a chance to be in Smash. With Nintendo not owning it anymore, not even Sakurai can have him back as an Assist Trophy.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

So what exactly does this mean? Ray (and I guess Custom Robo as a whole, for this matter) have absolutely NO chance to even appear in Smash (Minor capacity or not), let alone get a new game?

EDIT: apparently I was mistaken

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I mean...H-hey. Maybe we'll get a better title for the franchise i-if it ever comes back?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What the ****

How does a company just let a trademark expire?

Is Ray even an Assist Trophy?

What’s going on

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Major condolences Ray fans.

I know it's a shame that your favorite series isn't licensed anymore and this could lead for heavy complications in the future.

It would had been nice to see his AT return, but that seems unlikely.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
What the ****

How does a company just let a trademark expire?

Is Ray even an Assist Trophy?

What’s going on
Who knows, probably because they want nothing to do with that franchise anymore or don't see rereleases being worth it.

As for him being an Assist Trophy, I can imagine no license could cause legal complications that prevents even that from coming back,

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I'm too stubborn to give up, personally.

Retro Fighter, Assist Trophy, mii costume, normal trophy...heck, I'd settle for a bumper sticker on Shy Guy Number Thirteen's Cart on that one mario level if you play at One-Thirteen in the afternoon on the seventh full moon of the upcoming year. Then again...I am a sleep-deprived loon.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Well this is a nice change of pace! This thread has been more active in the last 15 minutes than any iteration of this thread has ever been!

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
I'm so upset about the trademark. I get that it wasn't the most popular IP. but come on, do they really care that little about it?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Well this is a nice change of pace! This thread has been more active in the last 15 minutes than any iteration of this thread has ever been!
That's the power of love and a few crazy people, my main man.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
This is honestly so sad. It kinda baffles me why they renewed GS, RH, Mario Super Sluggers, Wrecking Crew, but not also renew Custom Robo while they're at it. It just feels like Nintendo, for whatever reason, wants nothing to do with this franchise, and that's tragic.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There’s got to be something else going on.

Companies don’t just let trademarks lapse, even if they have no immediate use for them.

Some intern in charge of trademark renewals must have really ****ed up.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sorry for the double post but this merits a bump.

Any of you seen this? https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/9h6tnk/custom_robos_trademark_was_cancelled/e6aq4dv/

The first post is basically an analysis on the trademark claim that lapsed. Of note is the fact that it only refers to compact discs and optical discs, rather than game software in general, and the fact that the trademark was filed in 2003. So, it would appear that the trademark lapsed was for Battle Revolution, rather than the IP as a whole.

Any copyright attorneys that can confirm/deny this?

(By the way, thanks to Kotor Kotor who brought it up in the RTC thread.)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I never knew about that.

I am far from an expert on rights or any thing.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sorry for the double post but this merits a bump.

Any of you seen this? https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/9h6tnk/custom_robos_trademark_was_cancelled/e6aq4dv/

The first post is basically an analysis on the trademark claim that lapsed. Of note is the fact that it only refers to compact discs and optical discs, rather than game software in general, and the fact that the trademark was filed in 2003. So, it would appear that the trademark lapsed was for Battle Revolution, rather than the IP as a whole.

Any copyright attorneys that can confirm/deny this?

(By the way, thanks to Kotor Kotor who brought it up in the RTC thread.)
I hope you don't mind me saying this, but if you want my opinion? You really should try and spread this around before ALL hope in Ray (and Custom Robo as a whole) appearing in Smash or ANYTHING for that matter in the foreseeable future is completely and utterly gone.

Seriously, I can't even begin to describe the despondence I witnessed of everyone who acknowledged the possibility of Custom Robo being completely and utterly gone from Nintendo's hands.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I’m sorry, guys. I always thought Ray would make a good fighter. He’d definitely be unique, and he could revitalize a series that I wanted to play, but never knew existed (let alone got English releases) until I found it through Smash.

Ray and Isaac were AT buddies. And even if the odds were slim, I wanted them both in the game. Whatever happens, this isn’t the best news. Hang in there.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I hope you don't mind me saying this, but if you want my opinion? You really should try and spread this around before ALL hope in Ray (and Custom Robo as a whole) appearing in Smash or ANYTHING for that matter in the foreseeable future is completely and utterly gone.

Seriously, I can't even begin to describe the despondence I witnessed of everyone who acknowledged the possibility of Custom Robo being completely and utterly gone from Nintendo's hands.
The owner of that Ray for Smash page already agreed that he will clear up the misinformation because he hates the idea of thinking it's over for Ray.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The owner of that Ray for Smash page already agreed that he will clear up the misinformation because he hates the idea of thinking it's over for Ray.
Oh, thank goodness. I wonder if we should also do something about that article on the News page that talks about C.R. getting no new content. I mean, if GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 is right and Nintendo HASN'T lost the exclusive rights to C.R. ...

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
At this point I am all all for a return of the series than Ray in Smash if that means that hope will be there for another day...

Top Bottom