• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Just gotta keep the hope alive, is all.

But in all honesty? This whole time, I'd have been a fool for thinking Ray would appear in Ultimate. Then again...that's hardly the point of this thread 'Ultimate or Bust' and all that.

A topic discussion, though we discussed it in brief prior: "What do you think Nintendo Could/Should do to revitalize interest in/ reinvigorate the Custom Robo Series?"

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

But in all honesty? This whole time, I'd have been a fool for thinking Ray would appear in Ultimate. Then again...that's hardly the point of this thread 'Ultimate or Bust' and all that.

A topic discussion, though we discussed it in brief prior: "What do you think Nintendo Could/Should do to revitalize interest in/ reinvigorate the Custom Robo Series?"
Getting Ray back in Smash, even as an AT, certainly helps. Being in Smash in any capacity brings visibility. Obviously, being playable would bring much more interesting.

Other than that, maybe an anime could work? I’m not huge on anime, but if my understanding is correct mechas are a big genre. Combining mecha fights with the collectable aspect of Pokémon could be as unique for anime as it was for games (unless it’s been done, if so ignore this)

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Again, Daemon X Machina could be a factor for CR but I would not bet on it.

I just hope for anything at this point.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Daemon x Machina has my interest, and the concept of a more...open story mode sounds interesting...but there's so much more I wanna know about DxM...

...Now that I think about it, what was the name of that Custom Robo-Like game on the 3DS? Came out a year or so ago?

smashkirby

Smash Hero

The best I can think of is a reboot for the series that retools the gameplay somewhat to be a bit more... inviting(?) to newcomers of the series. Well, either that or give Custom Robo a MUCH bigger presence than what it got in Brawl. Let's face the facts here, Smash is practically life insurance to Nintendo's retro/obscure/Japan-only IPs.

Speaking of which, I thought we were going to set the record straight in regards to Nintendo's ownership of the franchise. Is that just not happening anymore, or...?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’m inclined (perhaps biased) to believe the reddit guy that states the lapsed trademark was actually for Battle Revolution. I think it’s important for us to spread that tidbit, even if solely in the capacity of a ‘maybe it’s not dead yet’. The news of Custom Robo’s ‘death’ has already spread like wildfire, people should be informed of the whole picture.

It would also be nice if a trademark lawyer could take a look at this, anybody know one?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I was thinking the same thing, on that whole ownership issue.
I’m inclined (perhaps biased) to believe the reddit guy that states the lapsed trademark was actually for Battle Revolution. I think it’s important for us to spread that tidbit, even if solely in the capacity of a ‘maybe it’s not dead yet’. The news of Custom Robo’s ‘death’ has already spread like wildfire, people should be informed of the whole picture.

It would also be nice if a trademark lawyer could take a look at this, anybody know one?
Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Like, is there any way to be certain about this? Or at the very least, we should really spread the word about this Custom Robo trademark thing.

As GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 said, the belief that Nintendo can't do anything EXCLUSIVE with the series any more seems to have spread like wildfire and we all know that Ray needs just about any support he can get right now, so this whole 'Custom Robo is dead' thing is SO not doing Ray any favors right now, what with Isaac taking the helm in regards to 'ATs who could realistically be promoted to playable characters' (Which I don't TOTALLY mind, as I'm an Isaac supporter myself, but still).

I mean, someone should really post about what's really going on to the article on SB's News page soon. I would, but I'm not too sure how to make it clear enough that it was Battle Revolution's rights that expired...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There's also the issue of people considering Ray fans entitled.

I decided to drop by the comment section of Smashboards' article on Custom Robo and it was a mess. One Ray fan admits that he hates the direction of Smash 4 and Ultimate's roster selection while people are dogpiling him about how "wrong" he is and that popularity should always matter for a character.

I hope that little scuffle won't make everyone consider all of Ray's fans as nostalagiablind fans that is never happy with what Sakurai does.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I hope that little scuffle won't make everyone consider all of Ray's fans as nostalagiablind fans that is never happy with what Sakurai does.
Sadly, The wacky world of Smash desires has three equally ridiculous tenants to it:

1) "What I want is right."
2) "What you want is wrong."
3) Ridley is too big.
3) "Sakurai should focus on what is currently popular versus what is fun."

(that's the vocal minority for you, at least. Thankfully they're wrong.)

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

I decided to drop by the comment section of Smashboards' article on Custom Robo and it was a mess. One Ray fan admits that he hates the direction of Smash 4 and Ultimate's roster selection while people are dogpiling him about how "wrong" he is and that popularity should always matter for a character.

Sadly, The wacky world of Smash desires has three equally ridiculous tenants to it:

1) "What I want is right."
2) "What you want is wrong."
3) Ridley is too big.
3) "Sakurai should focus on what is currently popular versus what is fun."

(that's the vocal minority for you, at least. Thankfully they're wrong.)
Um... is that why no one from here has gone to that article to post about our possible finding on how it's most likely the trademark for Custom Robo: Battle Revolution getting a physical re-release that's expired?

I mean, I don't blame anyone here. I've been to that article, and I'm not sure how I'd go about explaining things and clearing all of this misconception up without those guys pouncing on me...

Isn't there anything we can do? You know, before it's too late and the damage truly ends up being irreversible? In fact, have we STILL not made sure that's exactly what happened and that the expired trademark DOESN'T apply to the series as whole?

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

I still don't see why that seems to be a controversial statement. Not too long ago barely anyone supported all these 3rd parties, people flocked to obscure Nintendo characters and didn't care about relevancy, and the general feel was most AT's were next up. Now saying, 'I don't like how Smash 4's character selection went down' gets you virtually mugged. This place is so stupid

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
... In fact, have we STILL not made sure that's exactly what happened and that the expired trademark DOESN'T apply to the series as whole?
That's the primary reason I haven't gone to that thread (the main being the craziness of it all): we're operating on gun-jumped cancellation of a trademark while also not knowing if its about the franchise itself, the Battle Revolution title, and/or something about disc tech.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That's the primary reason I haven't gone to that thread (the main being the craziness of it all): we're operating on gun-jumped cancellation of a trademark while also not knowing if its about the franchise itself, the Battle Revolution title, and/or something about disc tech.
We should still spread the doubt, so to speak. Still, I wouldn’t even know where to start, beyond correcting anyone who says Custom Robo is definitely dead (and making myself look like an asshole, heh).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
We should still spread the doubt, so to speak. Still, I wouldn’t even know where to start, beyond correcting anyone who says Custom Robo is definitely dead (and making myself look like an *******, heh).
Yeah, this is all why I also haven't spread the word yet. I also don't want to come off as an entitled 'gun-jumper' if I were to do so, as much as I really want to believe (and hope) that Ray is still eligible for Smash and future projects.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Well, as a Shining Fighter of Justice, I've taken it upon myself to look into the Copyright more and, honestly? It checks out that Custom Robo as a franchise is not dead.

The Trademark deals expressly with the concept of disc-based entertainment, as stated in our initial hope post, and not as an intellectual property. Not to mention that Custom Robo Battle Revolution was simply called Custom Robo (henceforth given the GC tagline in this post) stateside. Looking at the Filing date, we see that the Trademark was initially filled in November of 2003; a meager few months before Custom Robo (GC) was launched in March 2004 (JP) and May 2004 (NA/Global). The lapsed Trademark is due to Nintendo 'Switching' to cartridge based game storage.

Likewise, in the hope post, we see mention of Donkey Kong 3's Trademark as cancelled, which happened in September of 1991. The lapsed trademark also is due to technology versus as an intellectual property. All-in-all, my digging shows that Custom Robo as a franchise is not dead, just dormant.

As such, I've bitten the bullet and marched into the Custom Robo Cancellation Article. Wish me luck.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Good luck, Rayleigh.

Here's to hoping people read your post and not jump you.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
It had to be done.

I even looked for additional Custom Robo Trademarks. There are actually three, all issued on the same day and, while related to the franchise, have nothing to do with the IP itself. Similar to how there is a Super Mario Trademark that has to do with Kitchenware, towels, clothes, ETC, there is one for Custom Robo that has to deal with toys (maybe we'd have gotten a line of custom robo action figures...something to dream about as a child, I guess). That Trademark was abandoned it would seem.There is then a third trademark that deals with non-video game electronic toys, trading cards, ETC. This trademark, too, was abandoned without use.

Of note is that these other two trademarks have nothing to do with Custom Robo (GC) or the franchise in general. They are actually related to Custom Robo: Arena. Their abandonment may be due to the largely average to minimal sales of the game...but, if it were successful, may have led to a toy line, trading cards, action figures, possibly a tie-in TV show...the DS game certainly has that vibe going for it.

--------------------

Something else of note is that the game many compared to Custom Robo, Little Battlers eXperience (LBX) on the 3DS sold rather well and had good reviews. Unrelated to the franchise, but something Nintendo could look to if they decided to give the franchise another shot.

--------------------

On an unrelated note...Ray-01 Mii Gunner costume? I'd be actually fine with. Somehow forgot about that being a thing.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, as a Shining Fighter of Justice, I've taken it upon myself to look into the Copyright more and, honestly? It checks out that Custom Robo as a franchise is not dead.

The Trademark deals expressly with the concept of disc-based entertainment, as stated in our initial hope post, and not as an intellectual property. Not to mention that Custom Robo Battle Revolution was simply called Custom Robo (henceforth given the GC tagline in this post) stateside. Looking at the Filing date, we see that the Trademark was initially filled in November of 2003; a meager few months before Custom Robo (GC) was launched in March 2004 (JP) and May 2004 (NA/Global). The lapsed Trademark is due to Nintendo 'Switching' to cartridge based game storage.

Likewise, in the hope post, we see mention of Donkey Kong 3's Trademark as cancelled, which happened in September of 1991. The lapsed trademark also is due to technology versus as an intellectual property. All-in-all, my digging shows that Custom Robo as a franchise is not dead, just dormant.

As such, I've bitten the bullet and marched into the Custom Robo Cancellation Article. Wish me luck.
You need support over there, you know where to find us.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice

God bless, Commander Rayleigh. May your dive be flawless. ;-;7

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman

Happy to support to cause, lads. Still looking around for more information.

There's no additional copyrights under the Custom Robo name than those three...but, oddly enough, you can look up information on Custom Robo Arena on both the Nintendo NA and JP websites. The NA's article is just a small blurb, but the Japanese Arena's page is its own thing under the DS line and apparently a nice little archive of the olden days.

Digging through Nintendo Patent information right now, there's some interesting stuff about the Donkey Kongas being used on the Switch (which is possible today with the adapter), but nothing on Custom Robo yet.

In relation to the main Trademark, which expired in March 2016, its interesting to note that Nintendo announced Project NX (Later the Switch) the following month of April 2016 at an investor meeting. The Switch was then shown publically in October 2016. No sense renewing Disc tech trademarks when Cartridges were going forward in usage.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I saw the post and liked it.

It was well written and quite good. Shame it was posted long after people cared about the article, but at last it proves that Custom Robo is still owned by Nintendo and not completely in legal hell.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, I at least count that as a win and hope regardless of for the future. I am ok with that.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Is there any way to better spread the word about Nintendo still having exclusive rights to the Custom Robo franchise? There just has to be some way...

Maybe you can talk to the person who wrote the initial article? Get him to re-write his old, or do a whole new to help update everyone on your findings.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
A possible option, yes. Hopefully, though unlikely, they might respond to the comments section for the time being. Otherwise we'll have to look into talking to them proper for some sort of correction or retraction.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
So about this whole ownership thing. I haven't had time to look into a lot of details about it but I'm confused on some part. Does Nintendo renew every single IP they have even the ones they don't have. So like do they still renew games like Star Tropics, Clu Clu Land, and Urban Champion even though they haven't made a new game for them in nearly 30 years but decided to get rid of Custom Robo which had multiple games under its belt? Something doesn't make sense with this.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
A possible option, yes. Hopefully, though unlikely, they might respond to the comments section for the time being. Otherwise we'll have to look into talking to them proper for some sort of correction or retraction.
Personally, I'd say you should just go and do just that right now. Considering Ray's already somewhat low support for Smash and the overall little clamoring for a new Custom Robo altogether, people seem way more inclined to give up on Ray and Custom Robo as a whole faster than they would... Isaac and Golden Sun (for example), thus no one will probably listen to you if you just spread this info around in small circles.

In other words, we may need someone to write a whole new SB article about your findings rather than edit the old one about CR no longer being owned by Nintendo, so we can really bring to attention Nintendo's continued ownership of the series.

So about this whole ownership thing. I haven't had time to look into a lot of details about it but I'm confused on some part. Does Nintendo renew every single IP they have even the ones they don't have. So like do they still renew games like Star Tropics, Clu Clu Land, and Urban Champion even though they haven't made a new game for them in nearly 30 years but decided to get rid of Custom Robo which had multiple games under its belt? Something doesn't make sense with this.
Yeah, you might want to talk to Rayleigh Rayleigh who just yesterday found official confirmation that Nintendo has NOT dropped Custom Robo as a franchise. The series as a whole STILL belongs to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
In other words, we may need someone to write a whole new SB article about your findings rather than edit the old one about CR no longer being owned by Nintendo, so we can really bring to attention Nintendo's continued ownership of the series.
Agreed; a new article or updated one is the way to go...of course, I'm also just some random madman who showed up to the Smashboards a week or so ago. I've about half an idea as to how the forum itself works (believe me, I've lost a few posts due to weird mechanics...including this one. Yowch, took me ay too long to redo). So having an entire article being written up? Not something I'm exactly privy to.

...So like do they still renew games like Star Tropics, Clu Clu Land, and Urban Champion...?.
To be brief, as this isn't the proper place for this topic at large? Yes and No. I will only use one game as an example (EDIT: I'm an absolute madman who did them all anyways).

Clu Clu Land's was set in 1985 (though it came out 1984 in Japan), and Abandoned in 1987. The Trademark, itself, is apparently for the program itself (or the programming used). But Nintendo is still able to continue selling their creation without a hitch, for the game saw re-releases for multiple Virtual Consoles in 2008, 2013, and 2014. What's more, it has appeared as a mini-game in the Warioware series and has content in the Clu Clu Land-inspired DK King of Swing, of which Bubbles is a playable character. Clu Clu Land has also appeared as an unlock-able game in two animal crossing games.

Urban Champion's was established in 1987...three years after the game's 1984 launch. It was then renewed through and up to 2018. It has the same trademark designations as Clu Clu Land. It also saw re-releases in 2006 and 2013 on virtual consoles. It was also one of the games packaged into the 3DS classic games demo. Word is there's no interest in a sequel, but the trademark was renewed. This is likely to the games posthumous reception, as it appears it initial, and virtual console, launches were not too highly regarded.

Star Tropics' was filed for in 1989, and the game launched in 1990. The Trademark was cancelled in 1998. However, the game saw Virtual Console re-releases in 2008 and 2015/2016. It was also included in the Mini NES.

-------------------

But, as this is a Custom Robo thread, I would have everyone note that all of these mentioned trademarks are identical to each other but greatly different from the three Custom Robo Trademarks. And, even with only one of three assorted games having a continued trademark, all three live on through the Virtual Console and even appearances in other games.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's interesting. So even when trademarks die, they can possibly be renewed for future releases and even Mini consoles.

That's a good amount of evidence there.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Agreed; a new article or updated one is the way to go...of course, I'm also just some random madman who showed up to the Smashboards a week or so ago. I've about half an idea as to how the forum itself works (believe me, I've lost a few posts due to weird mechanics...including this one. Yowch, took me ay too long to redo). So having an entire article being written up? Not something I'm exactly privy to.

To be brief, as this isn't the proper place for this topic at large? Yes and No. I will only use one game as an example (EDIT: I'm an absolute madman who did them all anyways).

Clu Clu Land's was set in 1985 (though it came out 1984 in Japan), and Abandoned in 1987. The Trademark, itself, is apparently for the program itself (or the programming used). But Nintendo is still able to continue selling their creation without a hitch, for the game saw re-releases for multiple Virtual Consoles in 2008, 2013, and 2014. What's more, it has appeared as a mini-game in the Warioware series and has content in the Clu Clu Land-inspired DK King of Swing, of which Bubbles is a playable character. Clu Clu Land has also appeared as an unlock-able game in two animal crossing games.

Urban Champion's was established in 1987...three years after the game's 1984 launch. It was then renewed through and up to 2018. It has the same trademark designations as Clu Clu Land. It also saw re-releases in 2006 and 2013 on virtual consoles. It was also one of the games packaged into the 3DS classic games demo. Word is there's no interest in a sequel, but the trademark was renewed. This is likely to the games posthumous reception, as it appears it initial, and virtual console, launches were not too highly regarded.

Star Tropics' was filed for in 1989, and the game launched in 1990. The Trademark was cancelled in 1998. However, the game saw Virtual Console re-releases in 2008 and 2015/2016. It was also included in the Mini NES.

-------------------

But, as this is a Custom Robo thread, I would have everyone note that all of these mentioned trademarks are identical to each other but greatly different from the three Custom Robo Trademarks. And, even with only one of three assorted games having a continued trademark, all three live on through the Virtual Console and even appearances in other games.
Thanks for the information! I admire your in depth research into this.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Be it for Custom Robo, or any Franchise you know and love:

------------------

Something you should also consider is that F-ZERO actually has an expired trademark, which died by abandonment in 2007. This one has to do expressly with merchandising and the details of such. You know: Christmas Tree ornaments, tea cups, napkins, soup noodles, that sorta thing.

It has another trademark (1990), don't you worry, that has been renewed (2012) until at least the end of this or next year, following the standards of Section 8* of Trademark concepts (which specifies usage and renewal within a period of roughly five years). This trademark talks about merchandising as well, but also has to do with video games themselves.

But, something to note is that, even if a Franchise-Critical Trademark dies, it can still be renewed...though you have to largely go through the entire process again, but can show past ownership to expedite matters.

Also, for note, F ZERO has nothing to do with Nintendo. Don't worry, the Big N isn't in the Fireworks and Firearms market.

*My own field of expertise involves the world of law, but I am in the field of Criminology and the Administration of Justice. Thankfully, some stuff still bleeds through and I can make sense of the wording.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, all of this is not as end-all-be-all as everyone thinks. I am quite fine with this if that is the case. We're safe, bois and grills~

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
From here on out, its simply a matter of continuing to talk, and adding more fans, new and old, to the conversation.

...also getting the word out that we aren't dead.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Say... even if the Custom Robo trademark isn't renewed anytime soon, do you guys think that series will show up in Smash (Ultimate) in any way now? Normally, I want to be optimistic, but compared to Golden Sun which DID get a supposed renewal...

So, all of this is not as end-all-be-all as everyone thinks. I am quite fine with this if that is the case. We're safe, bois and grills~

*Sincerely, the Custom Robo fandom*

From here on out, its simply a matter of continuing to talk, and adding more fans, new and old, to the conversation.

...also getting the word out that we aren't dead.
Speaking of which, maybe you should find the fellow who wrote the article about Custom Robo's "death", and explain to him your recent findings. I mean, now that we seem to have near-undeniable proof that Nintendo HASN'T dropped the series altogether, he can't (and nobody else, for that matter) call you an 'entitled/desperate Ray/Custom Robo fan' now.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Say... even if the Custom Robo trademark isn't renewed anytime soon, do you guys think that series will show up in Smash (Ultimate) in any way now? Normally, I want to be optimistic, but compared to Golden Sun which DID get a supposed renewal...

*Sincerely, the Custom Robo fandom*

Speaking of which, maybe you should find the fellow who wrote the article about Custom Robo's "death", and explain to him your recent findings. I mean, now that we seem to have near-undeniable proof that Nintendo HASN'T dropped the series altogether, he can't (and nobody else, for that matter) call you an 'entitled/desperate Ray/Custom Robo fan' now.
I think Ray will probably return as an AT in Smash Ultimate. That should probably kill any concern about the IP being abandoned as well.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I would love for an AT or at LEAST A Trophy. (If those return somehow considering we haven't got word on them, or at least I have not sure if Sakurai and Co. have said anything about it)

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
GOOD. I always found them fascinating, no matter the entry of the series. Gives us insight of other series we may or may not know and the models look great.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Agreed, not to mention all the weird things, glitches, and/or secrets that get hidden in them like...oh, I don't know, a mysterious third eye on a certain princess?

I always thought the robo trophies of Melee were cool looking...and- now that I think about it, I only realized the connection between them and the later released Battle Revolution around the same time I realized Brock Lied and those were actually NOT Jelly Donuts...

...I'm not a smart man.

Top Bottom