• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Really? Dang... I feel like we've GOT to find some way of getting in touch with someone who can help us get the word out about Nintendo's continued ownership of the series.

As Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan said, people seemed to have stopped caring about the issue, to the point that no one's posting on that article anymore, which is a bit problematic for us getting the news out easily.

In fact, I think only 1 or 2 people have posted since Rayleigh Rayleigh found the evidence of Custom Robo not being totally dead in the water (Well, in a manner of speaking...)

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Here? Fuzzy Pickles is a regular commentator
Oh, really? Do you think they'd be willing to write up a new article informing everyone about the recent findings? I came across a post from someone who still believes that Ray's chances for Smash (as well as Custom Robo as a whole) are all but dead right now, and it made me a tad uncomfortable having to read that...

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Oh, really? Do you think they'd be willing to write up a new article informing everyone about the recent findings? I came across a post from someone who still believes that Ray's chances for Smash (as well as Custom Robo as a whole) are all but dead right now, and it made me a tad uncomfortable having to read that...
Idk but doesn't hurt to ask him

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I'm afraid I don't know who that is, or how to contact them...and I can't help but feel that a present nobody like myself would not be the proper one to message them. If needed, I can compile all of my findings into a singular post?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Idk but doesn't hurt to ask him
True... I wonder if they don't mind me tagging them... @Fuzzy Pickles! Well, I guess I can only hope for a response...

I'm afraid I don't know who that is, or how to contact them...and I can't help but feel that a present nobody like myself would not be the proper one to message them. If needed, I can compile all of my findings into a singular post?
Hmm... when you mean into a singular post, where do you plan on posting everything? I only ask because I don't think it'd be of much help to post everything here since this is the Ray thread and all, and posting in the article about Custom Robo's "death"... well, barely anyone's going in there anymore, so...

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
It's alright, I already contacted the original Smashboard article writer 3 days ago, and he responded today saying thanks for notifying him.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Glad to hear others have taken the initiative and gotten the word out: Far better than to have a single, sleep-deprived madman shouting on top of a soapbox. We just have to keep being heard, keep talking about one of our favorite characters/franchises, and pushing this here thread to the top.

A character only has as big a shot as the earnest support of its followers.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
You know what would probably sell a lot once word got out, a new custom robo game, on a Home console with online.

Online on handheld is a good idea... But you normally can’t play online on the go soooo? Why was that a thing

images.jpeg

But anyways let’s go put some posters up around the interwebs

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I feel that Metroid Prime: Hunters suffered the same way Robo DS did.

I loved Prime: Hunters' Multiplayer. It was simple, Fun, and the idea of multiplayer in the Metroid Universe has been on my mind since. (It was the reason I was willing to give the idea of Federation Force a fair shot despite the prior Metroid drought...shame about the game's execution.). But being on a handheld, meant more for portability versus dedicated online sessions, was a major hindrance. Between the general simplicity of the single-player campaign (though fun enough), the DS' deactivation of Online Gameplay minimizes the game's replay-ability greatly.

--------------------

But porting Robo DS would be an...odd choice in order to put the Custom Robo name out. I do recall reading somewhere that Nintendo's...questionable Online recently put up slots for GC-Virtual Console games. Between this and the inevitable prospect (and recent logo patent of...my digs took me to whacky and weird places) a N64 Mini (EDIT: whoops I said GC here too), Getting Custom Robo onto both would do the franchise a great justice and stoke the flames of communal interest.

Given that the N64 mini is likely to be a mixture of top-sellers and fan favorites, and the respectable sales and popularity of Custom Robo V2 in Japan (it got a Virtual Console re-release in 2008...which makes it the most recent Custom Robo appearance), it might be an interesting prospect to put onto the little console as a four-player action multiplayer game. This would be good to appeal to Japanese Fans who grew up with the game, as well as bringing attention back to the franchise alongside other Nintendo 64 classics like Wave Racer...though the matter of translating the game is another matter entirely. Thankfully, I do not believe it had any voice lines.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Hmm. The N64 mini Now that is a nice prospect to consider. There were at least two CR titles there. Perhaps. No. I don't want to get hopes up but it is a nice thing to think about.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It's alright, I already contacted the original Smashboard article writer 3 days ago, and he responded today saying thanks for notifying him.

I don't suppose he'll be doing any updates to his article based on the recent update to our little situation?

Hmm... on second thought, never mind. If you could get in touch with the article writer once more, could you suggest to him the idea of writing a whole new article about Rayleigh Rayleigh 's recent findings? As I've already said before, posting in the original article about this issue won't be of much help anymore, nor will posting here in this thread obviously.

I loved Prime: Hunters' Multiplayer. It was simple, fun, and the idea of multiplayer in the Metroid Universe has been on my mind since. (It was the reason I was willing to give the idea of Federation Force a fair shot despite the prior Metroid drought...shame about the game's execution.). But being on a handheld, meant more for portability versus dedicated online sessions, was a major hindrance. Between the general simplicity of the single-player campaign (though fun enough), the DS' deactivation of Online Gameplay minimizes the game's replay-ability greatly.

--------------------

But porting Robo DS would be an...odd choice in order to put the Custom Robo name out. I do recall reading somewhere that Nintendo's...questionable Online recently put up slots for GC-Virtual Console games. Between this and the inevitable prospect (and recent logo patent of...my digs took me to wacky and weird places) a N64 Mini (EDIT: whoops I said GC here too), Getting Custom Robo onto both would do the franchise a great justice and stroke the flames of communal interest.

Given that the N64 mini is likely to be a mixture of top-sellers and fan favorites, and the respectable sales and popularity of Custom Robo V2 in Japan (it got a Virtual Console re-release in 2008...which makes it the most recent Custom Robo appearance), it might be an interesting prospect to put onto the little console as a four-player action multiplayer game. This would be good to appeal to Japanese Fans who grew up with the game, as well as bringing attention back to the franchise alongside other Nintendo 64 classics like Wave Racer...though the matter of translating the game is another matter entirely. Thankfully, I do not believe it had any voice lines.
Hmm... this isn't a bad idea. Even if it was Japan-only, this would probably alert people to the existence of Custom Robo, and maybe even have them clamor for it to come over here once again.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I like to think of it as Nintendo taking the best of the N64, though making it predominately their IPs. Maybe we'd get one or both Banjo-Kazooie games on it, just as we got two Castlevanias on the NES Mini, but both the NES and SNES minis had some surprise games on them.

Just a little extra on the hope injection.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord

I loved Prime: Hunters' Multiplayer. It was simple, Fun, and the idea of multiplayer in the Metroid Universe has been on my mind since. (It was the reason I was willing to give the idea of Federation Force a fair shot despite the prior Metroid drought...shame about the game's execution.). But being on a handheld, meant more for portability versus dedicated online sessions, was a major hindrance. Between the general simplicity of the single-player campaign (though fun enough), the DS' deactivation of Online Gameplay minimizes the game's replay-ability greatly.

--------------------

But porting Robo DS would be an...odd choice in order to put the Custom Robo name out. I do recall reading somewhere that Nintendo's...questionable Online recently put up slots for GC-Virtual Console games. Between this and the inevitable prospect (and recent logo patent of...my digs took me to whacky and weird places) a N64 Mini (EDIT: whoops I said GC here too), Getting Custom Robo onto both would do the franchise a great justice and stoke the flames of communal interest.

Looking back on it the Ds has a lot of why would you do the Nintendo moments. Take Mario 64ds. Wanted to show off the the DS could do 3D. Okay good thing to prove. But did no one at Nintendo look at a DS and Saw that it only had a D-pad, sure touch screen to move but did no one beta test it to see how ****ty the idea was for a 3D Mario game.

You also had the Zelda games on the DS

I didn’t say port robo ds I was hinting a at a new game. But if it did have to be a port I think Arena would be the best choice. I had an idea that the inevitable GameCube mini should have online. That or the 64mini just straight up **** with Sony if the PSX mini won’t have online

But how did V2do i.pn other places? I think it would be the best world wide. Like if V2 on the VC didn’t come overseas I don’t want to be a negative Nancy but I think you can see where I’m going with this

Edit

I been thinking Ray could be DLC if we push like the Ridley, king K Rool supports did and the Issac supporters are now.

All Ray needs is to be Said in a leak or A YouTube video by a popular YouTuber and his fan base will grow like a cancer cell

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
The StarTropics series was a US-Only release (and, to my knowledge, its virtual shop re-releases were also English only), barring the EU release of the first game.

And, yet, There have been references of the game in Smash Brothers and the first game was featured on the NES mini. Robo V2 is in a similar state from what I see.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
You know what that brings my hopes up. And if Star fox 2can come out on the SNES mini I have no idea what I was thinking jumping a gun I guess.

latest.png
Btw I love your avatar Rayleigh Rayleigh if I never found the pic of Link, I would so be rocking an Hero text box expression. or Harry thinking about it

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Gotta keep the hope alive, I guess. Looking at the concept of a N64 Mini, you'd naturally have Mario 64, both Zelda games, Star Fox 64, Smash 64, Wave Racer...maybe Pilot Wings? Donkey Kong 64 is probably going to be there, but then there's favorites like Megaman 64 (a port of Legends), Rayman 64, Banjo-Kazooie and, of course, the problem with Golden Eye. Not to mention just how many games might get on an N64 mini, considering that the games are of notably larger size than the NES and SNES so Nintendo might just stick to the top Ten, largely self-owned IPs, with maybe one or two surprises. This is all spitballing of course, but when it comes to Self-owned games? Robo V2 might have a better shot than some of the others.

I'm currently digging through still-operational japanese sites, and wiki content, for more information on V2 and the series in general.

Also...What picture of Link are you talking about?

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
latest.png

N64 games big ha. Back then maybe you would be called stupid to think you can fit the size of a N64game what uses that dumb expansion.

But FYI we have Cell Phones what can play gta andreas a PS2 game. If the N64 game has only 10 games your getting ripped off

Sorry I was just to use to my old avatar so I switch back this image of Link

Oh and don’t get your hopes up for a rare game on the N64 mini other then DK maybe.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I been thinking Ray could be DLC if we push like the Ridley, king K Rool supports did and the Issac supporters are now.
I wonder... how's that Ray for Smash Twitter account working out? Last time I saw it, it was gaining an unusually large surplus of followers...

All Ray needs is to be Said in a leak or A YouTube video by a popular YouTuber and his fan base will grow like a cancer cell
Normally, I don't put too much stock into leaks, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Ray to be featured in one, real or fake, as it WOULD give him that unbelievable push in notoriety.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Ten games is a dour way to look at things, yes, though I'm sure one could have put more than twenty-one games on the SNES-Mini. I'm also mainly thinking about major and noteworthy titles that they do not have to get the rights to.

--------------

Among the top-selling N64 titles are Non-Nintendo Rare games, Tony Hawk, around three or four WWE games, assorted other licensed sport games (NBA, F-1, , ETC) and two 007 games (Golden Eye and The World is Not Enough). Of the top forty-five N64 games, at least sixteen are in the 'Either its Rare-owned, Star Wars or a Real-Life Sport Franchise'. If you were to also consider Diddy Kong Racing as an iffy game, along with Hey You! Pikachu (mic support), The Namco Museum 64 as a separate collection (meta, a collection in a collection), and Maybe Cruis'N USA (Though, like StarTropics, its also a US/EU only game), that's 19-20 games one could say 'no' to...Nearly Half of the N64's Top-Seller List, and brings us down to nearly the same number as the SNES-Mini's roster.

Then there's also the three Mario Parties, which might seem like like a lot...but then again the NES Mini also had multiple Mario Games (and why wouldn't it!) so that's hardly noteworthy.

--------------

I bring up the nature of sales because there are a fair few beloved N64 games that weren't top-sellers. This also ties to the other Minis; Super Punch-Out! Being on the SNES-mini despite not being on the top-seller list...and, from the looks of it, neither are any Castlevania games, yet Castlevania IV is on the SNES-mini.

It appears that Nintendo's going for a mix of top-sellers and fan-favorites. I can only assume that Robo V2 is a popular enough title to have a shot, considering it had three sequels, and could be a nice surprise. However, the Japanese SNES-Mini does have games that the US/EU ones do not; They have Fire Emblem and one other game, while we have Earthbound.

So...it might be possible that, if/when the N64-Mini comes out, V2 might only go to Japanese versions...but even then, that's something to look forward to.

--------------

...I read too much.

Last edited:

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
I don't suppose he'll be doing any updates to his article based on the recent update to our little situation?

Hmm... on second thought, never mind. If you could get in touch with the article writer once more, could you suggest to him the idea of writing a whole new article about Rayleigh Rayleigh 's recent findings? As I've already said before, posting in the original article about this issue won't be of much help anymore, nor will posting here in this thread obviously.
In my message I directly mentioned that Rayleigh was the one who made the discoveries and linked the article writer to both here and Rayleigh's comments in the article.
In his response, he said he'll try to fix it up when he can. So it should hopefully be all good!

You are a real American hero.
Thank you, but I'm British lol.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
(Yay, I'm not double-posting)

-----------------

For those who haven't seen it, here is footage of the prototype of Synaptic Drive.

...as you can see, it's still quite rough, but undeniably Custom Robo. I suppose the one fear I have towards the project is that, if buggy or sub-par, it'll be to Custom Robo what Bomberman: Act Zero was to Bomberman.

EDIT: There are some developer interviews, buuuut...I don't speak Japanese...user-pic related.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In my message I directly mentioned that Rayleigh was the one who made the discoveries and linked the article writer to both here and Rayleigh's comments in the article.
In his response, he said he'll try to fix it up when he can. So it should hopefully be all good!

Thank you, but I'm British lol.
Then you are a real British hero.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
A Custom Robo-esque game ala Bomberman: Act Zero? Well, certainly that is giving attention and the gameplay looks alright for what it is.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
(Yay, I'm not double-posting)

-----------------

For those who haven't seen it, here is footage of the prototype of Synaptic Drive.

...as you can see, it's still quite rough, but undeniably Custom Robo. I suppose the one fear I have towards the project is that, if buggy or sub-par, it'll be to Custom Robo what Bomberman: Act Zero was to Bomberman.

EDIT: There are some developer interviews, buuuut...I don't speak Japanese...user-pic related.
I think more time in the oven would be good for Synaptic Drive.

But off topic here was bomberman act zero only hated on because of the new art style. I looked at gameplay it looks like its holds up as a good bomberman game

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think more time in the oven would be good for Synaptic Drive.

But off topic here was bomberman act zero only hated on because of the new art style. I looked at gameplay it looks like its holds up as a good bomberman game
Yeah, it was pretty much solely the artstyle and the forced ‘gritty edgy reboot’ angle.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
There were, however, also bugs...and the single-player modes were basically a 100-floor gauntlet with no real save points, if memory serves. I think it also had a life-meter based first person mode...but it was actually just a zoomed in over the shoulder mode.

So the overall problem was Artstyle, poor design choices, and faults in the coding...the unholy trinity, as it were

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
There were, however, also bugs...and the single-player modes were basically a 100-floor gauntlet with no real save points, if memory serves. I think it also had a life-meter based first person mode...but it was actually just a zoomed in over the shoulder mode.

So the overall problem was Artstyle, poor design choices, and faults in the coding...the unholy trinity, as it were
I would have to see the bugs in action. But Honestly From the sounds of it bomber man act zero got unjustified hate

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
A good standpoint to be on.

...I, unfortunately, have played Act Zero, since I'm the type of person who would look at Battleborn or Metroid Prime: Federation Force and go 'Yeah, I'll give it a fair shot' (though I'll forever standby Battleborn as being a solid game). Act Zero is certainly...aggressively meh. Doesn't deserve all the hate it gets, but a good amount of that hate is well and truly justified. Hopefully the flaws of Act Zero (Unnecessary gritty reboot, camera issues, mode flaws, development rush) do not hinder Synaptic Drive.

Hopefully the game can stick the landing on not doing these things and, while I think making the game focused more on the eSports scene is a bad idea (of which I could go on a mini-tangent on in and of itself), showing the world that the gameplay concept itself is good would be a well a truly good thing for Custom Robo itself.

...Side note, since I keep thinking about amiibo support: How cool would it be to get a Chozo Armor looking robo (or a color scheme for an existing one) using a Samus amiibo? Controversial locking content behind such, maybe...but still cool to think about.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I won’t lie I didn’t pick up act zero because of the guy on the cover lol. Not a bad design, the cover and the whole act zero was trying to hard

I think online would be good for a custom robot type game. Just needs a population

But why no esports?

Can I have a pic of the armour your talking about?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Yowza, this post came out longer than I wanted...but that's the only way I could explain my concern proper. Please forgive the length, I shouldn't be allowed to write posts at 2AM. The synopsis is that eSports/Proffessional Competition goes against the core strengths and attributes of Custom Robo and the reason it, at least by my own self, was such a loveable concept.

My stigma towards eSports is, in part, due to being indifferent to the concept of extravagant displays (one of the reasons I don't pay attention to the tournaments of conventional sports, but still partake in the activities myself), but also due to the dangers of designing and balancing a game with only a minority of players in mind, and then trying to keep that one game relevant for years is all...well? Hard. The only game I can think of that has managed to keep that relevancy in the world of competitive gaming is Starcraft. Not the sequel, mind you (though I'm sure that's...popular, too?), but the original from nearly twenty years ago (November 2018). Other games I can think of live on through Sequels versus on their own merits...though I also do not pay close attention unless information about an upcoming game I like (Read: Smash) may pop up. Many of the games people are playing now are not going to hold that same timelessness, let alone multiplayer competitive games on the professional level. The only reason conventional sports have managed to achieve their luster has been through time, dedication, cultural integration...and marketing. Good god, look at the Super Bowl.

Returning to my main concern with Synaptic Drive, those people who go into it hoping for Custom Robo might be put off if the game is more focused on eSports. Casual and Professional Competition are entirely different beasts to operate around, and is a problem that games with variety face greatly. People want their Competition to be controlled in the Professional Setting; they want the playing field to be level, and rightfully so. Skill-versus-skill is the cornerstone of any sports competition, right? It's why attributes deemed unfair (unlockable boss characters, for example) or unpredictable (usable items) are often banned. I'll use two often-compared, but incredibly different, games for reference.

Team Fortress Two is an eleven year old game (October 10, 2007) designed primarily as a casual fun shooter. It later got picked up by the competitive scene, and a schism between casual and competitive players has formed and exists to the current day. You have over 150 weapons split across nine playable class-templates, resulting in...well, you look at the total weapon combinations per class. That's a lot of variety. In Competitive TF2, many weapons are banned from usage. A prime example is a sniper rifle replacement (For, well, the Sniper) that can penetrate enemy targets when firing a fully charged shot. If Two snipers of equal skill are on opposite teams, the one capable of killing the enemy medic from behind their teammate with the replacement rifle, is immediately at an advantage over the other sniper...unless they level the playing field and use that same weapon. Speaking on generals, two players of the same class will not be on an equal playing field unless they are using the same equipment.

Meanwhile, Overwatch is a two year old (May 2016) game which immediately entered the competitive scene. In it, you have 28 playable characters who will always play the same: Sniper Character A is the same in the hands of Player A and Player B, thus player skill is the only difference between the two. But if Player A chooses Sniper Character B, then the matchup changes without being unpredictable: Sniper Character B is the same no matter what, and player skill is still the determining factor. Some of these 28 characters might be banned by virtual of current balancing issues (something doing more or less damage than it should, ETC), but this can readily change given that the game is designed to have a healthy, professional competitive scene in mind.

The drive for uniformity is why a simpler game can thrive in the eSports scene: there's less to balance around or simply ban...but Custom Robo is known for having hundreds of different parts (resulting in thousands of customization properties), and some of those parts having standard variants (Standard Bomb v Standard Bomb G or K or B), and the stronger-but-canonically-illegal variants (Dragon v. Wyvern). Looking at Smash Bros, the competitive scene already bans items for being unpredictable (hence For Glory), and will surely ban weak Final Smashs if they haven't been already...but the difference between this and Custom Robo is that customization is intrinsic to the nature of the game and its core spirit. You do not need items to have fun in Smash Bros...but you need customization to enjoy Custom Robo. If Synaptic Drive is built for eSports, customization will be curbed extensively to only a few options and minimal-to-no sub-choices.

Returning to the other topic, I'm talking about Samus' Power Suit (Usually depicted with the Varia Suit upgrade AKA the big shoulder spheres), which was made by the Chozo. It'd be pretty cool to see a Robo Body based on that.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Yowza, this post came out longer than I wanted...but that's the only way I could explain my concern proper. Please forgive the length, I shouldn't be allowed to write posts at 2AM. The synopsis is that eSports/Proffessional Competition goes against the core strengths and attributes of Custom Robo and the reason it, at least by my own self, was such a loveable concept.

My stigma towards eSports is, in part, due to being indifferent to the concept of extravagant displays (one of the reasons I don't pay attention to the tournaments of conventional sports, but still partake in the activities myself), but also due to the dangers of designing and balancing a game with only a minority of players in mind, and then trying to keep that one game relevant for years is all...well? Hard. The only game I can think of that has managed to keep that relevancy in the world of competitive gaming is Starcraft. Not the sequel, mind you (though I'm sure that's...popular, too?), but the original from nearly twenty years ago (November 2018). Other games I can think of live on through Sequels versus on their own merits...though I also do not pay close attention unless information about an upcoming game I like (Read: Smash) may pop up. Many of the games people are playing now are not going to hold that same timelessness, let alone multiplayer competitive games on the professional level. The only reason conventional sports have managed to achieve their luster has been through time, dedication, cultural integration...and marketing. Good god, look at the Super Bowl.

Returning to my main concern with Synaptic Drive, those people who go into it hoping for Custom Robo might be put off if the game is more focused on eSports. Casual and Professional Competition are entirely different beasts to operate around, and is a problem that games with variety face greatly. People want their Competition to be controlled in the Professional Setting; they want the playing field to be level, and rightfully so. Skill-versus-skill is the cornerstone of any sports competition, right? It's why attributes deemed unfair (unlockable boss characters, for example) or unpredictable (usable items) are often banned. I'll use two often-compared, but incredibly different, games for reference.

Team Fortress Two is an eleven year old game (October 10, 2007) designed primarily as a casual fun shooter. It later got picked up by the competitive scene, and a schism between casual and competitive players has formed and exists to the current day. You have over 150 weapons split across nine playable class-templates, resulting in...well, you look at the total weapon combinations per class. That's a lot of variety. In Competitive TF2, many weapons are banned from usage. A prime example is a sniper rifle replacement (For, well, the Sniper) that can penetrate enemy targets when firing a fully charged shot. If Two snipers of equal skill are on opposite teams, the one capable of killing the enemy medic from behind their teammate with the replacement rifle, is immediately at an advantage over the other sniper...unless they level the playing field and use that same weapon. Speaking on generals, two players of the same class will not be on an equal playing field unless they are using the same equipment.

Meanwhile, Overwatch is a two year old (May 2016) game which immediately entered the competitive scene. In it, you have 28 playable characters who will always play the same: Sniper Character A is the same in the hands of Player A and Player B, thus player skill is the only difference between the two. But if Player A chooses Sniper Character B, then the matchup changes without being unpredictable: Sniper Character B is the same no matter what, and player skill is still the determining factor. Some of these 28 characters might be banned by virtual of current balancing issues (something doing more or less damage than it should, ETC), but this can readily change given that the game is designed to have a healthy, professional competitive scene in mind.

The drive for uniformity is why a simpler game can thrive in the eSports scene: there's less to balance around or simply ban...but Custom Robo is known for having hundreds of different parts (resulting in thousands of customization properties), and some of those parts having standard variants (Standard Bomb v Standard Bomb G or K or B), and the stronger-but-canonically-illegal variants (Dragon v. Wyvern). Looking at Smash Bros, the competitive scene already bans items for being unpredictable (hence For Glory), and will surely ban weak Final Smashs if they haven't been already...but the difference between this and Custom Robo is that customization is intrinsic to the nature of the game and its core spirit. You do not need items to have fun in Smash Bros...but you need customization to enjoy Custom Robo. If Synaptic Drive is built for eSports, customization will be curbed extensively to only a few options and minimal-to-no sub-choices.

Returning to the other topic, I'm talking about Samus' Power Suit (Usually depicted with the Varia Suit upgrade AKA the big shoulder spheres), which was made by the Chozo. It'd be pretty cool to see a Robo Body based on that.
Curious then: what would be your opinion on a less customizable custom robo? Like, archetypes are instead what you'd use to fight instead of a full blown customization?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Curious then: what would be your opinion on a less customizable custom robo? Like, archetypes are instead what you'd use to fight instead of a full blown customization?
Personally, I think that misses the whole point of Custom Robo.

Also, it’s Ray’s day at the RTC thread. Hop over and say how much you want him!

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Oh snap, our time is now boys!

Even if the chance isn't high...smash that want score!

As our boy GG said above me, it defeats the purpose entirely of Custom Robo. But the questions how to make it work versus if it should happen, so...I suppose the simplest way to go about it, though, would be to:

- Remove Frame Variety. Everyone uses a single Frame type that can be customized cosemetically, but no state change. In essense, everyone would use the Ray-Variant of the game.w It might have a male/female option and some chassis parts for looks, but it would always operate the same.
- Remove leg customization.
- Reduce Weapon, Bomb, and Pod variety by a depressing amount.
- Remove or reduce hazards from stages. Limit stage variety. The goal is to take the opponent to Zero Health, therefore hazards and environmental imbalance intrude on this. (EX. For Glory map setting in Smash for normalized gameplay.)

We are left with a game that is not Custom Robo, in essence. That said, one could convert Custom Robo into a Splatoon-Style Third Person Shooter, with elimination and other game-type modes, and add more variety and intrigue for a competitive game there with its weapon choice with the introduction of direct aiming...but it takes away the last thing that made this hypothetical game Custom Robo: the original gameplay.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I've heard nothing on that front, though it's also been a bit of a ghost town out in here.

Top Bottom