• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
This is awesome. If this banner leak is true, Ray is the new Chorus Kids.

Now I really just wonder why exactly he was cut. I’m guessing just a low priority thing. It would make sense as we kind of would already have Mach Rider as a retro character. As well as Isaac and Chorus Kids as new misc. IPs.

I also really want to know how far along they would have been in development on Ray. If Sakurai’s “Mech tweet” is any implication, I would say Ray was pretty far along, at least conceptually. Unless the tweet is about Mach Rider, which would be unfortunate, as that may also point to Mach Rider being sort of the replacement of Ray would have been.

Either way, I have hope, and I’m really excited to see how this pans out. This really makes me wonder - what if Ray had been planned since Smash 4? Him and Isaac’s lack of assist trophies always seemed a little fishy. And with Isaac supposedly being playable and Ray supposedly being planned for Ultimate, I wouldn’t be surprised if Sakurai had them planned for Smash for a while. Damn.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Assuming the Leak's validity, it's possible that Time Constraints is a problem for Dixie and Ray-01.

With how much hype is going on for Ultimate (which, I'd argue, is more than we had for Brawl and Smash 4 given the arrival of Inklings, Ridley, The Belmonts, and King K. Rool.), I can only imagine how upset people would be with any notable delays. Thus I could see how Ray-01 and Dixie Kong could be cut as a low priority for the Base Roster...yes, even Dixie. With the addition of King K. Rool, you now have the 'Big Three' of the Donkey Kong Franchise, and the trinity of the original Donkey Kong Country.

Along with this, there's also the nature of getting each playable character to feel right:

1. Ray-01 is a tricky one to imagine; a character with multiple air dashes and a projectile oriented gameplay style? I took a stab at it somewhere a few pages back, but its still a convoluted concept. BOOM-BOOM-BANG-CRASH!
2. The 'To Echo or Not to Echo' debate with Dixie Kong is sure to be as much a discussion internally as it is in the community. She is a well liked character; giving her Diddy's moves wouldn't feel right, but it would also work (albeit less than with Samus - Dark Samus).
3. What IS Monster Hunter? There's no clear cut answer to that as the nature of the series is to make your own character. Other characters on people's wishlist, such as the Dovahkiin of the Elder Scrolls Series, also suffer this problem (though that example less so, as we do have a default 'canon' one as seen in the promotional material). When people think Monster Hunter, they think about the Monsters; They think Rathalos, among other big beasties.

These types of characters can be glossed over for the next game, planned for DLC, or simply said 'no' to. All possibilities to consider.

EDIT: Here's more music.

Last edited:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
1. Ray-01 is a tricky one to imagine; a character with multiple air dashes and a projectile oriented gameplay style? I took a stab at it somewhere a few pages back, but its still a convoluted concept. BOOM-BOOM-BANG-CRASH!
2. The 'To Echo or Not to Echo' debate with Dixie Kong is sure to be as much a discussion internally as it is in the community. She is a well liked character; giving her Diddy's moves wouldn't feel right, but it would also work (albeit less than with Samus - Dark Samus).
3. What IS Monster Hunter? There's no clear cut answer to that as the nature of the series is to make your own character. Other characters on people's wishlist, such as the Dovahkiin of the Elder Scrolls Series, also suffer this problem (though that example less so, as we do have a default 'canon' one as seen in the promotional material). When people think Monster Hunter, they think about the Monsters; They think Rathalos, among other big beasties.

These types of characters can be glossed over for the next game, planned for DLC, or simply said 'no' to. All possibilities to consider.

EDIT: Here's more music.
To be fair, Monster Hunter would make the most sense as the newest Capcom rep since it is one of their most successful franchises currently and has strong ties to Nintendo. I can see them giving the player the ability to switch between male and female and different armors (like inkling). If you need an idea for their moveset just refer to their appearance in mvci.

If Dixie Kong is coming as dlc it pretty much guarantees she will have a unique or semi-clone moveset.

Given the nature of customization in Custom Robo, I think it would be easy to at least assign the specials. Legs for upb, melee dash for sideb, pods for downb, and bombs for neutralb; his A attacks can reference the various guns from the franchise (shotgun for fsmash or gatling for jab combo).

I agree with your points for Dixie and Ray though, they do seem lower priority than the newcomers on the base roster and that they would be cut for time constraints.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
That is a fair point, though I was more thinking towards weapons...yet also forgetting about how Inklings were implemented. Good show, all around...though I'd still stand on the point of low priority due to determining the best mix of moves and the time period allotted.

---------

On the topic of a Ray-01 moveset?

I'd argue against side B for dash, as that could, in combination with air dashes, give Ray-01 a little *too* much recovery potential. While not perfect, my musings on a Ray-01 moveset are here. Wanted to keep the Charge attack a ground move for gameplay consistency...and because a traveling F-Smash is a fun thought. Gave two bomb specials, with Down-B as the recovery...weird, I know, but it felt right to assign pods to Up-B...I can't explain why.

---------

Also...More Music.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
That is a fair point, though I was more thinking towards weapons...yet also forgetting about how Inklings were implemented. Good show, all around...though I'd still stand on the point of low priority due to determining the best mix of moves and the time period allotted.

---------

On the topic of a Ray-01 moveset?

I'd argue against side B for dash, as that could, in combination with air dashes, give Ray-01 a little *too* much recovery potential. While not perfect, my musings on a Ray-01 moveset are here. Wanted to keep the Charge attack a ground move for gameplay consistency...and because a traveling F-Smash is a fun thought. Gave two bomb specials, with Down-B as the recovery...weird, I know, but it felt right to assign pods to Up-B...I can't explain why.

---------

Also...More Music.
Yeah, the moveset may have been a good reason as to why Monster Hunter was cut, but it could have also been because they are planning to reveal Banjo and Geno as the last big third parties in the base roster and needed another big third party for DLC

As for Ray's moveset, I feel that the melee dash as his side b would not be much of an issue for recovery due to some of the more powerful recoveries some characters already have. They can give him a strong horizontal recovery with the two air dashes and the melee dash, and a slightly weak vertical recovery with high jump legs as upb. I do see your point with not being able to do the melee dash in the air in Custom Robo though, and having it as forward smash would also make sense since it is only possible grounded. However, in Custom Robo, the Ray's melee dash sends opponents in an angle that allows for combos. If this move was his forward smash it would have to have launching power, where if it was his sideb, they can replicate that unique angle and allow him to follow up with combos much like he can in his own game. The shotgun or knuckle gun might fit better as a forward smash with launching power.

...why is the Custom Robo soundtrack so good?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Another reason I chose Charge as the Forward Smash was so that it was a combo Finisher, in stark contrast to what you're saying. I agree in that Ray-01's charge attack was a good general purpose move, as a finisher or a combo tool (though the rebirth function can make that more-or-less riskier to do depending, naturally), I thought using one of Ray's more iconic features as purely a Kill-Move versus a Kill-Move, Combo-Move, and Recovery tool was a little much. Also, to quote the wise-and-family-friendly Henry (who you should totally let get to know your female compatriots he's harmless 100%):

"BOOM-BOOM-BANG-DASH-BOOM-CRASH!"

Unloading Bombs and pods to trap an opponent, only to land and follow up with a charge? Glorious.

I was generally hesitant on giving Ray-01 too many different weapons in my head, as many of the close range guns are either Gimmicky (Stun Gun, Knuckle Gun) or...well...DRILL GUN. I- uh...I don't think we want to give Ray-01 the Drill Gun. The nerf bat is more painful than it sounds. But, at the same time, giving enough to feel like Custom Robo was a solid bet. Wanted there to be a healthy mix of melee and gunplay, though I never did get into tilts and aerials...

Also here's the credits song.

EDIT:...also oh snap, what if the final smash was the final clash with Rakanshen from the trailer? Trap-Style Smash for a cutscene move a la Captain Falcon's? Bomb and pods to make clouds, slide in for that shotgun finisher as the launch.

Last edited:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Those are actually great points, I can definitely see the charge as a combo finisher move since it can also be used that way in Custom Robo. If this was his fsmash, maybe his upb can be the two air dashes and work similarly to Pikachu's upb except without a hitbox and not putting him into freefall afterward.

On the topic of bombs and pods, I think they would fit better as neutralb and downb respectively. Having bombs as neutral b would make them easier to aim and work exactly the same way they do in Custom Robo, and having pods assigned to downb would make more sense since they are being planted on the ground (i'm picturing it being similar to Bowser Jr's downb but with different roaming properties and less lag).

That would be an interesting final smash, but the soulboost might be the more obvious choice (even though this technique was only in Arena).

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I'm not familiar with the concept of the Soulboost, but if its a power-up state, it'd have to be reworked to match similar ones as Transformation-Type Final Smashes are no longer a thing.

I do agree that Down-B and Neutral-B work for those, and one could easily put a basic gun shot to side B, letting them use it while standing still or while in motion for a sliding attack (like in the games). This also would be more comfortable if you are air-dashing at the time since you're already hitting the desired direction; all of this means that you have standing shots, sliding shots, and aerial shots, all of which being integral parts of Custom Robo. Heck, give the gun a different property if fired from the air (angled shots versus horizontal shots, for example), and you can then add short-hop shots, another feature of Custom Robo. I'm on board for Side-B as gunfire now, with Neutral B now the Hold and Release Bomb Shot.

I'd still contest Up-B and Down-B. Pods, which are fired upwards, could be useful as an Anti-Spike tool (Opponent try to spike you, your main weakness? Launch Pod) as well as for zoning out targets. Having to press down, and risk fast-falling, is something I feel would be detrimental to that former usage.

I'd retain Air-dashes to being two extra jumps, lumping Ray-01 in the same category of non-Up-B Recovery characters like Yoshi or Jigglypuff (not the best examples but...); it helps to make Ray-01 stand out more...and also makes their air-dashes useful for combat, being able to attack while dashing in or dashing away from an opponent.

Something I had in mind was that the Acrobat Bomb, which operates semi-similar to Robin's Up-B (attacking below and a spike on initiation), has a recharge time that matches the time the air dashes, meaning that a skilled Ray-01 player can time their recovery if launched sideways to: Acrobat Bomb, Air-Dash, AB, AD, AB for a respectable vertical recovery chain...though this could be interrupted, but still helps to found Ray-01 as playing in their own unique way.

As a Medium-lightweight fighter, evasion is key, and this helps solidify Ray-01 as a zoning character with high mobility an trap capabilities...at the cost of having a harder time recovering if spiked downwards. Launch them sideways, and they can recover easily like Jigglypuff, Kirby, and Donkey Kong...Just don't let an opponent get the drop on you...or, just like in Custom Robo, you're going down.

--------------------------------

Something I just thought of? Down-B, instead of my insane Acrobat Bomb (We'll put that to Down-Air as a spike and minor recovery aide), let's you swap between leg parts (but only on the ground). You can swap between Standard Legs, Formula Legs (Reduce Dash distance but faster ground speed), stabilizer legs (less knockback, but slower ground speed) and Feather Legs (Slower falling, but more knockback). No High Jump legs, but The leg choices provided allow the player to adapt on the fly depending on who their opponent is. Feather legs can be used to fight more in the air, Formula for running from slower opponents, Standard for general purpose.

Still keeps Ray as an enemy that can recover horizontally easier, but also gives variety and showing off customization aspects.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the soulboost was just a powered up state that turned any robo gold and enhanced their attacks. It would ideally be a transformation final smash, but since those are removed, it can work similarly to Marth's final smash. While not the most exciting choice, I feel it is the most obvious and would work fine for Ray 01 since he could do it in Arena as well.

I'm really liking these moveset ideas you are proposing. I am warming up to pods as upb especially when you suggested that Ray's air dashes as jumps would already give him a proper recovery similar to Yoshi's. They could even have the pods propel you upwards slightly like Yoshi's eggs for some extra distance. I also really like your downb idea for legs. I could never think of a way to implement legs in a way that could be faithful to Custom Robo, but your idea makes a lot of sense since legs simply alter the movement of the robo rather than have a button you can press to use them in battle. This would be a good way to accurately represent the leg parts and customization aspect of Custom Robo.

Sad to see that Ray-01 was cut.

I would've loved to see him in smash.
The fact he was even mentioned or considered puts him above other cool obscure characters like Ayumi, Saki, or Prince Sable and makes him very likely for DLC. Even if the leak ends up being fake, it raises the awareness for this character.

Don't lose hope yet.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Hm...for the sake of easy reference, gonna remake the Moveset we've been brainstorming down at the bottom of this post.

Also music.

--------------------

Could be that we make F-Tilt the basic Gun shot, since you can angle it diagonally...but then you couldn't really fire unless you also made aerial moves be the same thing...a risky prospect to make a character that relies on chip damage but then only has a few kill moves (F-Smash, D-Air, ETC)...Hm...

Suppose we could look at other popular guns, but we'll wanna keep them to short-range ones.

Weight: Medium-Light.
Jumps: One Normal, Two horizontal dashes.
Specialty: Zoning, Trapping, Horizontal Recovery.
Weaknesses: Vertical Recovery, punishable up close.

Up-Smash: TBD
Forward-Smash: Charge.
Down-Smash: TBD

Standard: TBD
Forward-Tilts: TBD
Down-Tilt: TBD
Up-Tilt: TBD

Neutral-Air: TBD
Forward-Air: TBD
Back-Air: TBD
Down-Air: Acrobat Bomb. No damage, secondary recovery usage. Spiking tool.

Neutral B: Standard Bomb. Tap to fire directly forward, Hold to aim. Useful for zoning opponents.
Up-B: Standard Pod. Fires roaming explosives that explode on contact and after X seconds. Useful for spike-denial on recovery.
Side-B: Standard Gun. Brief pause, then three round burst. Can be aimed. Useful for harassing and zoning opponents.
Down-B: Swap Leg. Changes movement properties between standard and three different types. Hold to select, tap to cycle. Useable only on the ground.

Final Smash: TBD. (Soulboost Charge, Trap Combo, ETC)/SPOILER]

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
If we're doing movesets, the Jab should def be Basic Gun, and the Claw Gun should be Grab.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I'm torn on those concepts.

On the one hand, tying the basic gun to the jab then returns us to the problem of 'what is Side-B'? Two air dashes and then a melee charge? Then what's F-Smash? And -then- Claw Gun for a grab? Is that an aerial option? Do we now have two air dashes, a side-B dash, and then a tether option?

------

On the other hand, imagine if your jab and tilts were also gun shots. F-Tilt? Gun shot. F-Tilt Angles? Gun shot. Up? Down? Gun shots. Aerials? Gun shots...and Acrobat Bomb for D-Air.

...it's inherently stupid and Ray-01 would become low-tier for certain (Minimal Vertical Recovery and all of your basic attacks being weak ranged projectiles, thus resulting in minimal kill moves?), but there's something oddly alluring about making all of Ray-01's basic attacks (sans a few like acrobat bomb) into gun shots. It'd make you rely on that aerial mobility more, moving around the battlefield shooting in various directions while also dropping bombs and pods to force enemies to move (preferably where you want them to). You can't compete in close combat, but your gun also lacks enough range to let you snipe enemies...

...But then we're back to that Side-B. If everything is Gun Shots, Side-B couldn't also be Gun Shots.

...Unless we made Side-B a gun swap mechanic...but then you have to decide which guns to use. Alongside the default basic shot, I'd suggest shotgun for killing power but little range, Sniper for long range but slow and suffering extended wind-up/wind-down...Gatling as a weak, chip weapon maybe, but we can't really have anything too complex under these options.

Might be better to move Bomb back to Side-B, then make Neutral-B the Gun Swap in order to align more with similar changing characters (I.E. Shulk).

-----

But combine this with the leg selection and you've now created a hilariously gimmicky character..A character who has to fight at range, swaping attack range, swaping mobility function, no vertical recovery, horizontal recovery, maybe a tether option...its wonky and I am conflicted on this Frankenstein monstrosity. Like- Shulk's got a mode change type mechanic but its nowhere near as gimmicky as this monstrosity.

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Well, lets go even crazier! Give him the knuckle gun as his jab! His only kill move, and its hilariously out of his gameplan (ie getting in close as opposed to staying away)

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
That's why I slapped Charge to Forward Smash! The signature Kill-Move!

"BOOM-BOOM-BANG-DASH-BOOM-CRASH!" ?

More like:

"BOOM-BOOM-BANG-DASH-BOOM-SMASH!"

(Thank you, thank you).

----------

Heck, let's slap Knuckle Gun into the gun selection! No difference in animations, but you forego the other gun options for one with even less power and range than the shotgun...but is quick and lets you defend yourself if an opponent gets close! Hit em with some knuckle jabs then knock em back with a smash!Boom! Four gun options! You can quickly swap without worry while moving, letting you adapt based on the moment:
  • Shotgun...Gun, for damage and kill power. (But slow)
  • Sniper Gun for more range and being a jerk to recovering opponents. (But slow)
  • Basic Gun for general combat. (average speed)
  • Knuckle or Stun Gun for close quarters protection. (Fast, baby! Also...its not a projectile, so Fox can't shut him out just by holding Down-B)
...I feel like four is good, just like with the leg options. Plus, these options do or do not synergize well together with the gun parts, helping you to plan what to use when and with what.

• Basic Legs for general purpose.
  • Formula for fast slippery ground movement (works well with Shotgun or Knuckle).
  • Stabilizer for stability
  • Feather for Air Time and recovery

---------

...We're going mad with power, aren't we?

Also more music.

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm...

If you asked me to make a move-set for a CR rep, it'd be hilariously outdated. I'm still stuck in the mindset of: "man, Ray 01 would've been the PERFECT poster child for the custom moves mechanic in smash 4."

But I guess if I HAD to make a singular move-set for Ray, I'd probably go something like:

Size: Small
Weight: Heavy

Jumps: None, his gimmick would be having an Air Dash instead. He can still jump off the ground.

Jab: Knuckle Gun - High Damage, Floaty Stun, Decimates Shields
F-Tilt: Basic Gun - 3 shot gun that acts similarly to Mega Man's buster, except it must fire all three shots. Knockback is a bit more significant as well.
D-Tilt: I don't know what gun it is, but it's the attack that Ray 01 did to Rakansen at the end of the intro cutscene becasue it's the only time I've ever seen a robo actually crouch. Basically shoots a shot at a shallow upward angle.
U-Tilt: Umbrella Pod: Places Umbrella pods above head that explode almost immediately, disjointed hitbox, excellent anti air.

Dash Attack: Slide Gun: Uses the slide shot mechanic to fire three rounds in front while sliding farther than a luigi wavedash.

Grab: Claw Gun - Extremely long range grab with homing. On the flipside, it lasts until it hits, or hits the edge of the screen, making it EXTREMELY risky from long range.
Z-Air: Claw Gun - Acts more like other character's z-airs in that it can attack, but also tether ledges.

N-Air: Splash Gun: Shoots groups of stationary rounds. For balance purposes, only one set of rounds can be on screen.
F-Air: Basic Gun - Same as F-Tilt, except it transitions into F-Tilt when landing while using it.
D-Air: I don't know what pod it is, but it's another intro cutscene attack, and it's the one Ray 01 does while flipping over Metal Ape. Drops 2 pods below him after flipping over and they explode on contact with opponent or ground.
U-Air: Smash Bomb (heh) - It's a very quick bomb that explodes directly above you. Seems good to me.

F-Smash: Ray's Charge Attack: Yeah this one was obvious. Like the game, it's fully invincible. Long recovery frames make it a risky reversal.
D-Smash: Dual Wave Pods: Just a ridiculous down smash that sends out those lovely green waves in both directions.
U-Smash: Rising Gun: It's a giant gun shot that looks like a huge uppercut, seems like prime up smash material to me.

N-Special: Dragon Gun: It's one of the most, if not THE most, popular guns in the game. Shoot a low homing, powerful shot with that lovely screech we've all come to cherish.
F-Special: Standard Bomb: Hold the button down to aim it horizontally like you would in CR, but it's just a normal arc bomb with a simple explosion. In the air, it flies straight like it would in the game.
U-Special: Acro Bomb/Pod: Either or does the job. Sends you high into the air while putting you into a damage/helpless state, but you don't actually take damage. You can use this to spike opponents.
D-Special: Satellite Pods: Can put up to 2 down. They'll hang in the air and chase anyone close to them that isn't Ray 01. They'll explode after a bit on their own if not bothered.

Final Smash: Wyrm Gun: Since Install-Style final smashes are gone, I figured the most famous illegal part would suffice. Basically a 5 dragon gun width shot that acts similarly to shiek and dark pit's final smash.

The main goal of this was to pay homage to as much of Ray 01's history as possible, as many of the odd techniques CR had, and as many cool parts that had interesting applications when put into smash.

Here's the cutscene in question if you don't know what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-4EwKAGvqQ

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
That is a nice and safe moveset...and I like it. Personally, I'm now stuck on the whole 'EVERYTHING IS SHOOT' idea. It's just so-out there and horribly gimmicky that you couldn't say Ray-01 wasn't (at least) unique. I was hesitant to include the Dragon Gun as an option for normal specials, let alone in my whacky 'EVERYTHING IS SHOOT' idea. But as a Final Smash a la Mario/BOTWLink/ETC? Perfect. Get that iconic sound in there and you're golden.

...I'm still a little ashamed that I said 'no' to my favorite gun; the Blade Gun. it's...it's not really that good, but I love it to pieces anyways. I had it vaguely in my initial 'safe' moveset, using it as a swinging weapon but...that just didn't fit the idea of a Custom Robo fighter. And we have enough sword characters hue hue i disagree with this logic but the jokes floweth freely!

Also...I don't think that was any real type of pod in the cutscene, which is already full of flaws in terms of how weapons, bombs, pods, ETC work...BUT IT'S JUST SO HYPE THAT NO ONE CARES.

--------

But yes, in the FMV, the following is Ray-01's Loadout:

• Body: Ray-01 (acts like a God).
  • Weapon: Rayfall Gun, but acts like a Gatling Gun. Gets the Trap Gun later (another personal favorite), but this acts more like a Shotgun (...Gun?) with its SFX while its projectile is...a green ball of boom? Its weird.
  • Bomb: Freeze Bomb...but it acts like the Wall Bomb.
  • Pod: Reflection Pod. Doesn't act like a pod, but that could be due to the close combat...also the HYPE.
  • Legs: Formula Legs

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Call me plain but I was thinking charge was always going get nerfed down in power from CR for his Dash attack Into Smash

But man after getting out of the Dome in Arena I remembe the fights getting actually hard in a good fun way

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
So what's the consent here? You guys think if the leak is real and collaborates with that one leak from september (?), Ray has a good shot for DLC? I mean, even if it's real, it doesn't have to mean much because Chorus Kids weren't DLC in Sm4sh either. Let's hope for the best tho. CR music is absolutely dope and Ray could be a faster but weaker Mega Man with heavy focus on his aerials.

But I gotta admit that I'd be pretty much surprised that he was even considered despite his trademark being abandoned. That's odd.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Can't speak on the behalf of others, but the only trust I put into leaks is that it gets tongues waggling. Thankfully, such is happening in the right direction.

Also this is the part where I link all the information gathered that shows that Custom Robo isn't abandoned but I'm a little tired to go link grabbing again, Sorry about that. Someone wanna get me some backup here?

EDIT: Grabbed the link to my Summary here. More information located here.

Didn't grab a link for it, but there are actually three custom robo copyrights: The main one everyone refers to, one that deals with non-video game electronic entertainment, and one that deals with merchandise. The other two copyrights were abandoned after Custom Robo Arena (a sign that Nintendo had some interest in more marketing), while the First and 'main' copyright referred to was left behind a bit before the Switch was being shown to investors and the sort. No need for Disc-Based Systems when you're jumping to cartridges.

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Call me plain but I was thinking charge was always going get nerfed down in power from CR for his Dash attack Into Smash

But man after getting out of the Dome in Arena I remembe the fights getting actually hard in a good fun way
My problem with that line of thinking is that CR Robos don't have to be dashing to charge. They can do it standing. The only technique that comes to mind that you have to be dashing for is the slide shot technique, so I'd love to see the dash attack be the Slide Gun or the Afterburner Gun. Though I'd lean towards the slide gun due to the naming conventions.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
My problem with that line of thinking is that CR Robos don't have to be dashing to charge. They can do it standing. The only technique that comes to mind that you have to be dashing for is the slide shot technique, so I'd love to see the dash attack be the Slide Gun or the Afterburner Gun. Though I'd lean towards the slide gun due to the naming conventions.
That’s a good point.

Now can we work classic Ray’s charge attack from area. Where he charges backwards

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
So what's the consent here? You guys think if the leak is real and collaborates with that one leak from september (?), Ray has a good shot for DLC? I mean, even if it's real, it doesn't have to mean much because Chorus Kids weren't DLC in Sm4sh either. Let's hope for the best tho. CR music is absolutely dope and Ray could be a faster but weaker Mega Man with heavy focus on his aerials.

But I gotta admit that I'd be pretty much surprised that he was even considered despite his trademark being abandoned. That's odd.
Do you mean Consensus? Cuz I think we'd all consent to Ray in smash.

The simple fact is that we just dont have any proof in regards to ray being cut. I suppose we'd have to wait until we can hack the game or something to maybe get proof. I think I can speak for most of us when I say no one really EXPECTS a CR rep, but you'd be able to hear our screams from Pluto if he ever got in.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Maybe if the leaks was real and Ray was cut. Well what if Ray could be a super last minute addition. To idk show a character who wasn’t in the leak to prove it wrong and wasn’t actually cut al along
Join the ranks of :ultganondorf::ultwolf::ultbowserjr: whom ever was the last minute in 64

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Possible, but I wouldn't put much stock in that idea...but that's all because we're on the topic of a 'leak' that correlates to another 'leak'...and it's about known at this point that I don't any whinnying unless it comes from a horse's mouth. #oddcomparisons Though I would be lying if I said I didn't look into the past for any extra information.

Remember that one 'leak' where they gave out information about codenames and when they'd be revealed? 'King' and 'Ponytail' and all that? I remember looking at that 'Mech' mention, and joking about how it was Ray. Were that leak not debunked it'd be more fuel to the fire concerning the possibility of Ray-01.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
If the leak is real, hopefully somebody will find a Robo cube icon when they datamine the game.

I think that the three cut characters from the leak would have the best chance for dlc mostly because work has most likely been done on them already. Chorus Kids may have not made it in despite being planned in smash 4 possibly because the unfinished veterans (Lucas and Mewtwo) took priority for DLC. The big difference for Ultimate is that there are no cut veterans to bring back, which allows the development team to finish these new cut characters for DLC.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys I’m here to give my support for this character Ray 01. Basically I played a lot of Custom Robo on the GameCube back then and always wanted him in the game since brawl just like Isaac.
Here’s one thing I want you guys to help me sort out though. Wasn’t custom robos trademark not renewed? Because that would prevent any Custom Robo representation in smash for future dlc or no?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I’m here to give my support for this character Ray 01. Basically I played a lot of Custom Robo on the GameCube back then and always wanted him in the game since brawl just like Isaac.
Here’s one thing I want you guys to help me sort out though. Wasn’t custom robos trademark not renewed? Because that would prevent any Custom Robo representation in smash for future dlc or no?
To keep from rewriting the same information multiple times, here's two different links for your reading pleasure.

In short? It is not the problem people think it is. Also? Welcome to the Holosseum, glad to have you aboard! Stay awhile and chat, we're happy to have you!

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
To keep from rewriting the same information multiple times, here's two different links for your reading pleasure.

In short? It is not the problem people think it is. Also? Welcome to the Holosseum, glad to have you aboard! Stay awhile and chat, we're happy to have you!
So does that mean ray still has a shot even if there may never be another Custom Robo game? It just doesn’t seem possible with the trademark not being renewed.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
So does that mean ray still has a shot even if there may never be another Custom Robo game? It just doesn’t seem possible with the trademark not being renewed.
As shown in the links provided? Yes.

Yes, Ray-01 has a chance. Ray-01 even has, arguably, a greater chance than most of the choices (...Goomba!?) people have been throwing out as of late. Let's consider the following:

-Ray-01 is a First Party character from a known franchise spanning five games over the course of four of Nintendo's most prominent consoles.
-Ray-01, and Custom Robo at large, has had representation in two Smash games (Melee and Brawl) in some form or fashion.
- Custom Robo has a dedicated Japanese fanbase (and a Niche one here in America; predominately thanks to the Gamecube game).
-The second game in the series, Custom Robo V2, received a virtual console release on the Japanese WiiU E-Shop.
-- I'd even argue (and have argued earlier in the thread) that Custom Robo V2 has a solid chance of being included on the Japanese version of the assumed Nintendo Mini that will eventually be announced.

-------------------------

More information for you to consider:

- Donkey Kong 3's trademark (shown in the first link) has been dead for years, but the game has received multiple ports!

- Punch Out has an expired trademark (shown in the first link), but it received a new title and Little Mac has skins that represent the game which the expired trademark belongs to (the arcade wireframe versions).

- Ice Climbers are unlikely to ever receive a new game...at least, one as we know the original game to play out (See: Kid Icarus: Uprising). But they have appeared as references in a few other games, and are fan favorites in Smash.

- Kid Icarus was "dead" for Two Decades until Pit appeared in Brawl, and eventually we saw the creation of Kid Icarus: Uprising.

- F-ZERO, a big name for Nintendo fans, has not received a game in nearly fifteen years (sixteen for western audiences), and has had a similar amount of games released under its name as Custom Robo (not counting remakes or ports). F-ZERO also has an expired trademark..and is not to be mistaken for the F ZERO trademark...The dash or lack thereof is important. But the franchise remains relevant in Smash and the want for a new game is known by Nintendo. The reasons for this are a whole 'nother topic.

And this all brings me to Metroid. Poor, sweet, Metroid.

Metroid was in a similar state as F-ZERO for awhile. It's last 2D outing prior to 2017's Samus Returns was Zero Mission (2004; same year as Custom Robo Battle Revolution on the Gamecube). The last 3D game was Prime 3: Corruption (2007; same year as Custom Robo: Arena). The franchise then had a hiatus for three years...and gave us this. Six years after that ordeal, we got this. So, for Prime Fans, their last game date syncs with Custom Robo: Arena's wait time. Meanwhile, the wait for 2D fans was right there alongside the release Custom Robo on the Gamecube. Thankfully, we got Samus Returns, and Prime 4 is on an unknown horizon.

So...yes. Ray-01 has a very good chance. Not the best, but good.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Man I got
As shown in the links provided? Yes.

Yes, Ray-01 has a chance. Ray-01 even has, arguably, a greater chance than most of the choices (...Goomba!?) people have been throwing out as of late. Let's consider the following:

-Ray-01 is a First Party character from a known franchise spanning five games over the course of four of Nintendo's most prominent consoles.
-Ray-01, and Custom Robo at large, has had representation in two Smash games (Melee and Brawl) in some form or fashion.
- Custom Robo has a dedicated Japanese fanbase (and a Niche one here in America; predominately thanks to the Gamecube game).
-The second game in the series, Custom Robo V2, received a virtual console release on the Japanese WiiU E-Shop.
-- I'd even argue (and have argued earlier in the thread) that Custom Robo V2 has a solid chance of being included on the Japanese version of the assumed Nintendo Mini that will eventually be announced.

More information for you to consider:

- Donkey Kong Country 3's trademark (shown in the first link) has been dead for years, but the game received a port and its main character, Dixie Kong, lives on and has a solid support base of her own!

- Punch Out has an expired trademark (shown in the first link), but it received a new title and Little Mac has skins that represent the game which the expired trademark belongs to (the arcade wireframe versions).

- Ice Climbers are unlikely to ever receive a new game...at least, one as we know the original game to play out (See: Kid Icarus: Uprising). But they have appeared as references in a few other games, and are fan favorites in Smash.

- Kid Icarus was "dead" for Two Decades until Pit appeared in Brawl, and eventually we saw the creation of Kid Icarus: Uprising.

- F-ZERO, a big name for Nintendo fans, has not received a game in nearly fifteen years (sixteen for western audiences), and has had a similar amount of games released under its name as Custom Robo (not counting remakes or ports). F-ZERO also has an expired trademark..and is not to be mistaken for the F ZERO trademark...The dash or lack thereof is important. But the franchise remains relevant in Smash and the want for a new game is known by Nintendo. The reasons for this are a whole 'nother topic.

And this all brings me to Metroid. Poor, sweet, Metroid.

Metroid was in a similar state as F-ZERO for awhile. It's last 2D outing prior to 2017's Samus Returns was Zero Mission (2004; same year as Custom Robo Battle Revolution on the Gamecube). The last 3D game was Prime 3: Corruption (2007; same year as Custom Robo: Arena). The franchise then had a hiatus for three years...and gave us this. Six years after that ordeal, we got this. So, for Prime Fans, their last game date syncs with Custom Robo: Arena's wait time. Meanwhile, the wait for 2D fans was right there alongside the release Custom Robo on the Gamecube. Thankfully, we got Samus Returns, and Prime 4 is on an unknown horizon.

So...yes. Ray-01 has a very good chance. Not the best, but good.
Dude thanks for all that info. Okay then it’s settled, I’ll get back into the fight for this character to make into the playable roster. Count me as part of the crew. Let’s work together to make the dream a reality! :)

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Maybe the title of this thread should be called "No trademark is going to stop us". Either that or "Ray is the new Chorus Kids" but that one might be a bit premature.

Yes, Ray-01 has a chance. Ray-01 even has, arguably, a greater chance than most of the choices (...Goomba!?) people have been throwing out as of late.
I'm more of a Para-Goomba supporter myself :4pacman:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Well, we don't exactly have access to do that, I dunno what the activity of the thread creator is either.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Gotta day this is one of the smaller threads I’ve ever been in. I came from the Isaac and shantae boards that go in the 100s, so it’s kinda nice to have a smaller community to chat with.
Also I want to ask you guys this theory:
Similar to how Banjo Kazooie could get in smash as their game may end up being featured in the inevitable n64 mini, do you guys think Japan will localize Custom Robo 64 and bring it into the international n64 classic like they did with Star Fox 2? Cause that’s my biggest hope for that to help Ray 01s chances and Saki from Sin and Punishment getting in to promote those games. They are new first party characters too so it should be easier than all the 3rd party we get lately.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Gotta day this is one of the smaller threads I’ve ever been in. I came from the Isaac and shantae boards that go in the 100s, so it’s kinda nice to have a smaller community to chat with.
Similar to how Banjo Kazooie could get in smash as their game may end up being featured in the inevitable n64 mini, do you guys think Japan will localize Custom Robo 64 and bring it into the international n64 classic like they did with Star Fox 2? Cause that’s my biggest hope for that to help Ray 01s chances and Saki from Sin and Punishment getting in to promote those games. They are new first party characters too so it should be easier than all the 3rd party we get lately.
I think it depends on the time frame of which the n64 mini would release. If Ray ends up being dlc, and more people become curious about the character, Nintendo might feel that it is worth localizing the first game (and maybe the second one while they're at it). Other than that, I feel that an international Custom Robo 64 and v2 release is unlikely; they would probably make them exclusive to Japanese n64 minis as the series was pretty popular over there.

Well, we don't exactly have access to do that, I dunno what the activity of the thread creator is either.
Is it possible to switch the thread owner to you? We need someone more active to help this community grow, especially if the leak ends up being true and improves Ray's chances dramatically.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman

...do you guys think Japan will localize Custom Robo 64 and bring it into the international n64 classic like they did with Star Fox 2?

Gran-Rojo Gran-Rojo hit it on the head as far as my views on that go. Of the two N64 games, V2 is the more likely (as it is, after all, Custom Robo V2.0) but even then, it is likely to remain on the Japanese N64 Mini if it were added at all. Here is the list of differences in the SNES Mini/Classic:

- Each region's colors match that of their original counterpart's (Japan's has that beige red look, US has the grey and purple, and Europe has the colored buttons).
- The SNES classic has twenty-one games on it. The three regions share sixteen games, but each has five exclusives. (But US/PAL share theirs, though):

The US/PAL exclusives are:
  • Earthbound
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • Street Fighter ll Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Punch-Out!!
Meanwhile, Japan's exclusives are:
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
  • Legend of the Mystical Ninja
  • Panel de Pon (Known vaguely in the west as, incorrectly, Tetris Attack)
  • Super Soccer
  • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
...I couldn't tell you the differences in the Street Fighter games...I wasn't interested enough to check. I talked more about the notion of the games that could appear on the N64 mini here, largely in that half of the best-sellers are in a grey area for addition due to licensing or the usage of unsupported gadgets (Like the Hey You! Pikachu! Microphone).

...Also, I did, in my ventures, find a patent logo of the N64 controller. It was done in a similar fashion to the NES and SNES classic icons. I also saw word that Nintendo's online service is prepping internal support for Gamecube games on the virtual shop...but the wording was vague so I couldn't say for certain on this, but- hey. Switch does have gamecube controller (AND BONGO DRUM!) support through an additional peripheral!

---------------------

Is it possible to switch the thread owner to you? We need someone more active to help this community grow, especially if the leak ends up being true and improves Ray's chances dramatically.
As far as transferring ownership of the thread, I couldn't say I'd know. I doubt that it would be possible, just as I doubt that we'd be able to make a new thread (avoiding duplicates and all that). Not that a new thread is truly needed, though the ability to update the front page and title would be nice features for certain. Even if this leak is true, that would mean Ray-01 has DLC potential...and I do believe I read somewhere that the newcomer section may reorganize upon knowing the base roster fully so...That might be our chance if that does indeed occur?

EDIT: Oh. I broke 100 posts. Most of them in here.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If you get the thread owner's approval, a mod can Switch ownership. Regardless, I dont think it will make much of a difference. A title and OP dont really matter all that much

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
If you get the thread owner's approval, a mod can Switch ownership. Regardless, I dont think it will make much of a difference. A title and OP dont really matter all that much
I actually somewhat disagree. If we can change the title to say something in regards to the trademark, I think that'll help the pity party image that we seem to have.

Top Bottom