• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Groovy.

----------

So! After posting all of that talk about Ray-01's design, I started thinking about something...and to be honest? I don't have a real answer to the following question and thought I'd bring up another topic of discussion:

"What actually -is- the Custom Robo Timeline?"

This might seem like a simple question to answer, as one can just assume that the five games are in chronological order...but are they? The timeline starts simple enough in that the events of Custom Robo (N64) Happen. One year later, Custom Robo V2 occurs. From there, it's stated that Custom Robo GX occurs around three years later. Of course, you also have the notion of each Ray Model (Sans X-Ray and its variants) being an upgrade over the previous forms. So, in this regard...? They're all solidly situated. You then get to Arena, which has no known connection to the other three Custom Robo games except that we're now using the Ray MKlll, with X-Ray and its variants appearing alongside Ray-01. Wait...Ray-01!?

This is when we get to Custom Robo Battle Revolution and - Hoooo nelly, this is where it gets confusing.

The events of Custom Robo Battle Revolution take place on Earth, as do all of the other games, but...well...? Earth in this game is a little...damaged. (video for dramatic effect) This is why everyone lives within the Dome City...and it is the only known city left in the world, being made of humanity's survivors. And, well...the people of Dome City do not know of the world outside. This isn't a case of just not knowing that the world is a little damaged but that they actually think the world is flat and surrounded by a giant wall. Meanwhile, Arena has you travel to different locations after your character moves to their new hometown. New. Hometown. What's more, there's reports of people traveling to the moon. The people of Battle Revolution's Dome City don't even know what grass and trees are supposed to be made of. What's more, if all of the games are in chronological order? Surely there would be information concerning the reason the world blew up, since the whole point of the post-game of Battle Revolution is that so everyone knows that the world blew up and why (and so they can prepare if it happens again). That there's no mention of it is...peculiar at the best and horrifying at the worst when you realize that it technically wasn't defeated.

Not only that, but there are genuine Military-Grade Robos in GX (and technically Arena)...whereas there is no such thing as a military in Battle Revolution; The police force is essentially the leaders of the remaining world. And, on the topic of Robos (and going back to my talk about Robo Designs), the majority of the robos look more battle-ready than past designs, which matches the backdrop of weaponized toys for Battle Revolution. We then get to the concept of The hero character, who has received a top-secret Robo from someone who turns out to be part of that secret world controlling circle of people. This in and of itself, isn't strange, but then you turn to the Hero's father. A regular enigma, whose Robo of choice was the Ray Legend. We know that the Ray Legend is a modified Ray (the original), which has led people to assume that the Hero's father was the protagonist of the prior Robo games...but The Battle Revolution father didn't know about the outside world until he joined that super special club of people who knew the truth. We also know that enough time and memory wipes happened over the generations to keep the truth of the world a secret, but...Why does he use a Ray instead of a MKll or X-Ray/Ray Sky/AIRS?

I can only, thus, conclude that the games are not in canonical order since nothing Battle Revolution places it after GX but before Arena...but I also can't place it right after Custom Robo (N64) due to how soon the events of V2 (and then GX) take place after it. But, something worth noting is that GX and Battle Revolution share their Robo Cube designs (The metallic single-faced blocks) and functionality...yet this doesn't affect anything. This leads me to three different explanations:

1. The Fallen Timeline: The events of All other Custom Robo games occur within a short period of time (making Ray-01's appearance in Arena a non-canon one), but Rahu appears soon after and devastates the planet. After it inhabits a Custom Robo and is trapped within, the survivors weaponize their robos proper to fight back before the development of the Memory Erasure Device. The events of Battle Revolution then occur. This puts Battle Revolution at the end of the timeline. Ray Legend is explained as being an artifact of the bygone era...and perhaps as the robo used to stand up to Rahu originally before the Memory Erasure Device was created.
  2. The Salvaged Timeline: The events of Custom Robo, V2, and GX occur, but Rahu appears soon after and devastates the planet. After it inhabits a Custom Robo and is trapped within, the survivors weaponize their robos proper to fight back before the development of the Memory Erasure Device. The events of Battle Revolution then occur. Humanity rebuilds and, leading to the events of Custom Robo Arena. The villain of Arena, Hadron, is actually designed/inspired by humanity's encounter with Rahu...or is, itself, Rahu under a different name. Regardless, it is defeated and the hero of Arena eventually joins the Police Force.
  3. The Brightest/Darkest Timeline: This is a split timeline that essentially asks if Rahu wakes up at all. If not, the events of Custom Robo, V2, GX, and Arena occur. Conversely, if Rahu does awaken, it is shortly after or during the events of Custom Robo occur, and it devastates the planet. After it inhabits a Custom Robo and is trapped within, the survivors weaponize their robos proper to fight back before the development of the Memory Erasure Device. The events of Battle Revolution then occur. None of the other games' events occur due to the planet's devastation. Thus, the claim is that Battle Revolution is part of its own continuity...and I now want a Custom Robo game that's just about fighting Rahu in the real world, but with man-sized robos.

...Huh...another post like this, and it isn't even 3AM yet. But yeah...thoughts? Always fun to share these musings with you all.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Groovy.

----------

So! After posting all of that talk about Ray-01's design, I started thinking about something...and to be honest? I don't have a real answer to the following question and thought I'd bring up another topic of discussion:

"What actually -is- the Custom Robo Timeline?"

This might seem like a simple question to answer, as one can just assume that the five games are in chronological order...but are they? The timeline starts simple enough in that the events of Custom Robo (N64) Happen. One year later, Custom Robo V2 occurs. From there, it's stated that Custom Robo GX occurs around three years later. Of course, you also have the notion of each Ray Model (Sans X-Ray and its variants) being an upgrade over the previous forms. So, in this regard...? They're all solidly situated. You then get to Arena, which has no known connection to the other three Custom Robo games except that we're now using the Ray MKlll, with X-Ray and its variants appearing alongside Ray-01. Wait...Ray-01!?

This is when we get to Custom Robo Battle Revolution and - Hoooo nelly, this is where it gets confusing.

The events of Custom Robo Battle Revolution take place on Earth, as do all of the other games, but...well...? Earth in this game is a little...damaged. (video for dramatic effect) This is why everyone lives within the Dome City...and it is the only known city left in the world, being made of humanity's survivors. And, well...the people of Dome City do not know of the world outside. This isn't a case of just not knowing that the world is a little damaged but that they actually think the world is flat and surrounded by a giant wall. Meanwhile, Arena has you travel to different locations after your character moves to their new hometown. New. Hometown. What's more, there's reports of people traveling to the moon. The people of Battle Revolution's Dome City don't even know what grass and trees are supposed to be made of. What's more, if all of the games are in chronological order? Surely there would be information concerning the reason the world blew up, since the whole point of the post-game of Battle Revolution is that so everyone knows that the world blew up and why (and so they can prepare if it happens again). That there's no mention of it is...peculiar at the best and horrifying at the worst when you realize that it technically wasn't defeated.

Not only that, but there are genuine Military-Grade Robos in GX (and technically Arena)...whereas there is no such thing as a military in Battle Revolution; The police force is essentially the leaders of the remaining world. And, on the topic of Robos (and going back to my talk about Robo Designs), the majority of the robos look more battle-ready than past designs, which matches the backdrop of weaponized toys for Battle Revolution. We then get to the concept of The hero character, who has received a top-secret Robo from someone who turns out to be part of that secret world controlling circle of people. This in and of itself, isn't strange, but then you turn to the Hero's father. A regular enigma, whose Robo of choice was the Ray Legend. We know that the Ray Legend is a modified Ray (the original), which has led people to assume that the Hero's father was the protagonist of the prior Robo games...but The Battle Revolution father didn't know about the outside world until he joined that super special club of people who knew the truth. We also know that enough time and memory wipes happened over the generations to keep the truth of the world a secret, but...Why does he use a Ray instead of a MKll or X-Ray/Ray Sky/AIRS?

I can only, thus, conclude that the games are not in canonical order since nothing Battle Revolution places it after GX but before Arena...but I also can't place it right after Custom Robo (N64) due to how soon the events of V2 (and then GX) take place after it. But, something worth noting is that GX and Battle Revolution share their Robo Cube designs (The metallic single-faced blocks) and functionality...yet this doesn't affect anything. This leads me to three different explanations:

1. The Fallen Timeline: The events of All other Custom Robo games occur within a short period of time (making Ray-01's appearance in Arena a non-canon one), but Rahu appears soon after and devastates the planet. After it inhabits a Custom Robo and is trapped within, the survivors weaponize their robos proper to fight back before the development of the Memory Erasure Device. The events of Battle Revolution then occur. This puts Battle Revolution at the end of the timeline. Ray Legend is explained as being an artifact of the bygone era...and perhaps as the robo used to stand up to Rahu originally before the Memory Erasure Device was created.
  2. The Salvaged Timeline: The events of Custom Robo, V2, and GX occur, but Rahu appears soon after and devastates the planet. After it inhabits a Custom Robo and is trapped within, the survivors weaponize their robos proper to fight back before the development of the Memory Erasure Device. The events of Battle Revolution then occur. Humanity rebuilds and, leading to the events of Custom Robo Arena. The villain of Arena, Hadron, is actually designed/inspired by humanity's encounter with Rahu...or is, itself, Rahu under a different name. Regardless, it is defeated and the hero of Arena eventually joins the Police Force.
  3. The Brightest/Darkest Timeline: This is a split timeline that essentially asks if Rahu wakes up at all. If not, the events of Custom Robo, V2, GX, and Arena occur. Conversely, if Rahu does awaken, it is shortly after or during the events of Custom Robo occur, and it devastates the planet. After it inhabits a Custom Robo and is trapped within, the survivors weaponize their robos proper to fight back before the development of the Memory Erasure Device. The events of Battle Revolution then occur. None of the other games' events occur due to the planet's devastation. Thus, the claim is that Battle Revolution is part of its own continuity...and I now want a Custom Robo game that's just about fighting Rahu in the real world, but with man-sized robos.

...Huh...another post like this, and it isn't even 3AM yet. But yeah...thoughts? Always fun to share these musings with you all.
Huh. You go really in depth with this series. I guess if I had to pick my favorite of the three, it'd be the timeline where the games are akl chronological.

Though I must admit, when I was young and stupid, I thought Custom Robo would get a sequel and it would take place on the outside of the dome. Years later, I still would love to see something like that happen.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
While I like the idea of Hadron actually being Rahu, my personal favorite would be to separate the franchise with the Brightest/Darkest timeline.

The thought of exploring the post-apocalyptic world for information and potentially to find other cities entices me, as I'm sucker for exploration and more interesting takes on Post-Apocolyptic media (this is why Megaman Legends is my favorite Post-Apoc world). Combine this with Rahu's inevitable return and you could have a neat story. Certain people are licensed to operate Man-sized Robos to explore the real world (which are naturally customizable). Add in an obligatory evil human faction whose up to no good and you basically have every Custom Robo game's core story elements...plus Nintendo's been wanting to get into the shooter market more recently. Exploration and shooters might be big draws for me...but I personally would prefer the next Custom Robo to maintain its own gameplay before we think about making offshoots of the franchise (though GX was done well enough from what I hear).

I mean- imagine waiting over ten years for a new game for your series only for it to turn out to be something entirely different than what you had been hoping for...wow, I'm sure that sorta thing would ruffle a few feathers, eh? (Avatar Related).

But the idea of making a 'Prime' subset for the Custom Robo label is a tantalizing one to be sure...ah, to dream.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Holy crap. So CR is deeper than I thought. And the lore goes beyond than what I thought. Nice analysis, Rayleigh Rayleigh

I was with the conception that every game was connected either chronologically or were set in parallel yet connected universes somehow.

The games certainly are interesting but these theories make them so much more. Nintendo surely loves them 'Post-Apocalyptic' settings in games.

Glad to think that Rahu is actually such a big threat as a whole. He/It is a badass entity.

:bowser:.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Rahu is only mentioned in Battle Revolution, and its existence (and the entire premise of Battle Revolution) really throws things off. If Rahu was actually Hadron from Arena that'd be really sick, but the fact that the world's destruction is never mentioned in that game just- I can't believe the games to be in raw chronological order. The eradication of mankind (just think of the loss of genetic diversity!), the devastation of the land, and the socially alien nature of mudane elements such as plants, wind, and carnivals? That's kind of a big deal...and even with industrial Custom Robo (which exist in a larger scale), I can't see the world recovering from that massacre any time soon and then reassembling the old companies that made the initial generations of Custom Robo. For example, Lambda ltd. Made the Ray, Ray MKll, and X-Ray models (Ray Sky is a modified X-Ray by the villainous Nikaido Group, AIRS was military-made prior to the Nikaido Group becoming bad, and Ray ll Dark is an illegally modified Ray MKll). Neobrain made Ray MKlll after seizing the rights to the series from Lambda ltd, who then re-obtained the rights to the Ray serie by the game's end.

The lore stays consistent with the first three games and, arguably, remains so with Arena given the return of Lambda ltd. Lambda ltd does not exist in Battle Revolution; Ray-01 is designed within the Custom Robo Research Facility which is...not a company. In fact, there's dialogue that implies that the Custom Robos of Battle Revolution are made with technology reverse-engineered from the older days (and then weaponized to fight Rahu), and the Research facility is studying old Robos just as much as it is making new ones. You then have everyone in the Post-Game getting into Robo Battles as a means to besides help train the Hero even more ready a militia should Rahu return. Even the children, who are playing with Custom Robos as a game, are being taught this information and are then incentivized to become skilled commanders; humanity's continued survival rests on them! This is the reason I prefer Battle Revolution as being in its own continuity. Besides explaining a lot, it sets up a different setting and, thus, opens the opportunity for a different gameplay style for if Nintendo were to take Custom Robo from being a mere series and becoming a true franchise.

-------

As far as Nintendo Post-Apoc worlds go, Battle Revolution has to be my favorite; the music that plays when you find out the truth (and then remixed when you finally beat Rahu), attempting to comprehend what it'd be like not to know what wood is (not to mention that even the people who know about the outside world don't truly know what it is to feel grass between their fingers, or what a breeze is)...also the fact that, in-game, the Chief of Police asks you if the world is round or flat...and then Henry (Henry, of all people!) calls you a idiot for saying that its round. I'm a sucker for Post-Apoc that isn't readily perceivable as such (EX. Megaman Legends is pretty cheery considering the fact the world's flooded and humanity is totally-not-extinct). I do, however, like the Kirby 64 theories about the frozen planet being Earth...but I can't think of any dedicated Post-Apoc Nintendo settings off the top of my head.

Last edited:

fxd001

Smash Rookie
Rahu is only mentioned in Battle Revolution, and its existence (and the entire premise of Battle Revolution) really throws things off. If Rahu was actually Hadron from Arena that'd be really sick, but the fact that the world's destruction is never mentioned in that game just- I can't believe the games to be in raw chronological order. The eradication of mankind (just think of the loss of genetic diversity!), the devastation of the land, and the socially alien nature of mudane elements such as plants, wind, and carnivals? That's kind of a big deal...and even with industrial Custom Robo (which exist in a larger scale), I can't see the world recovering from that massacre any time soon and then reassembling the old companies that made the initial generations of Custom Robo. For example, Lambda ltd. Made the Ray, Ray MKll, and X-Ray models (Ray Sky is a modified X-Ray by the villainous Nikaido Group, AIRS was military-made prior to the Nikaido Group becoming bad, and Ray ll Dark is an illegally modified Ray MKll). Neobrain made Ray MKlll after seizing the rights to the series from Lambda ltd, who then re-obtained the rights to the Ray serie by the game's end.

The lore stays consistent with the first three games and, arguably, remains so with Arena given the return of Lambda ltd. Lambda ltd does not exist in Battle Revolution; Ray-01 is designed within the Custom Robo Research Facility which is...not a company. In fact, there's dialogue that implies that the Custom Robos of Battle Revolution are made with technology reverse-engineered from the older days (and then weaponized to fight Rahu), and the Research facility is studying old Robos just as much as it is making new ones. You then have everyone in the Post-Game getting into Robo Battles as a means to besides help train the Hero even more ready a militia should Rahu return. Even the children, who are playing with Custom Robos as a game, are being taught this information and are then incentivized to become skilled commanders; humanity's continued survival rests on them! This is the reason I prefer Battle Revolution as being in its own continuity. Besides explaining a lot, it sets up a different setting and, thus, opens the opportunity for a different gameplay style for if Nintendo were to take Custom Robo from being a mere series and becoming a true franchise.

-------

As far as Nintendo Post-Apoc worlds go, Battle Revolution has to be my favorite; the music that plays when you find out the truth (and then remixed when you finally beat Rahu), attempting to comprehend what it'd be like not to know what wood is (not to mention that even the people who know about the outside world don't truly know what it is to feel grass between their fingers, or what a breeze is)...also the fact that, in-game, the Chief of Police asks you if the world is round or flat...and then Henry (Henry, of all people!) calls you a idiot for saying that its round. I'm a sucker for Post-Apoc that isn't readily perceivable as such (EX. Megaman Legends is pretty cheery considering the fact the world's flooded and humanity is totally-not-extinct). I do, however, like the Kirby 64 theories about the frozen planet being Earth...but I can't think of any dedicated Post-Apoc Nintendo settings off the top of my head.
If you're looking for another post-apoc Nintendo series... Splatoon. Not even kidding. That lore gets kinda crazy.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Yep. There are quite a few games with that either as predominant theme, implied, as a backdrop or references in the games themselves.

Splatoon is one of them since the lore of that game gets kind of nuts and it goes to that point.

Majora's Mask can get pretty heavy at times with its apocalyptic feel if you notice that some characters are 'accepting' of the doomed atmosphere and the inevitable feel of its premise.

Xenobkade has elements of that in its backstory also according to some people, it is kind of interesting.

Last on the top of my mind and a game that is pretty clear (more like HEAVILY IMPLIED and I believe it was adressed by Nintendo at one point) it has to be Pikmin. Its setting, plot and elements taking that as main points going for it. The Planet being a Post-Apocalyptic Earth and distinct life forms such as The Pikmin, Grubdogs, Snagrets, Dwevils, Wollywogs, etc having taken over after something happened with the humans. A nuclear war? An Invasion by other alien races? The Inevitable end of our kind? Sudden Dissappearance? It is unclear but at the same time, you just know SOMETHING happened beyond the colorful, lively, wild and atmospheric game that is Pikmin.

Just my own take on the Post-Apoc' themes and you may realize by now that Pikmin is a favorite series of mine, which it is and I highly reccomend.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
In terms of post apocalyptic themes for CR, maaaan, I was duped when they asked the famous flat earth question. I was like, "hah! I'm gonna say flat as a joke!"

The devs got me....

I think I'm more likely to believe the separate timelines thing, where the cartoony games all take place together and CR:BR is it's own thing. I think a really interesting aspect of CR:BR is the post apocalyptic twist, and I would love to see that expanded upon. Besides that, I really like the aesthetics of CR:BR.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
...Not gonna lie...I'm ashamed that I forgot Splatoon (though I never played it) and Pikmin. Thanks for the reminders, champs. I could go into a whole shpeel on Majora's mask and how it could tie to Rahu if the whole 'Nintendo Omniverse' was an actual thing...but I won't. Mostly because it's Fallout 76 beta time (though I wouldn't put Fallout into my favorite Post-Apoc settings since it's just so...obvious.)

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Holy **** you guys make me wanna play Custom Robo so bad. I suppose I'll have to try it sometime.
Anyways, I'd be totally down for Ray. I don't think it will happen, but it'd be pretty neat if it did!

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Holy **** you guys make me wanna play Custom Robo so bad. I suppose I'll have to try it sometime.
Anyways, I'd be totally down for Ray. I don't think it will happen, but it'd be pretty neat if it did!
Well, join the club! We don't either!

Whats your favorite gun in CR if I may ask?

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
I haven't actually played it lol. As I said, you guys make me want to. I suppose I should go with the GameCube one first, right?
Well, I certainly would recommend it, though I think the DS one might be a bit easier to play on modern consoles. The Gamecube one is really good though, and going back a few pages has some good discussions about the differences between the two

But if you REALLY want to start from the beginning, the n64 version has been given an english patch.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Well, I certainly would recommend it, though I think the DS one might be a bit easier to play on modern consoles. The Gamecube one is really good though, and going back a few pages has some good discussions about the differences between the two

But if you REALLY want to start from the beginning, the n64 version has been given an english patch.
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely try and give it a go someday.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Well howdy there my fine amigo! From the fightin' lads of Custom Robo to you, I give you a great ol' welcome! Also maybe on day Ashley will get in too.

I'd recommend Custom Robo on the Gamecube over Arena simply by virtual of the comfort the controller provides. This is, for example, one of the reasons I do not replay Metroid Prime: Hunters (despite claiming it to be one of my favorite games in that franchise). Of course, everything else I've spouted about the gamecube game in the past few pages also applies.

---------------

Someone brought up the question of 'what's your favorite gun', and I suppose my favorite one would be the Blade Gun. It's not that good, and I wish it boosted your charge damage, but shooting little sword beams is always fun. Sword Storm, while cool, is less practical and more situational than the Blade Gun. When it comes to more practical weapons, I prefer the trap gun (though calling it practical is a stretch). Drill gun is fun to abuse on the AI but I'd never use it against another player, and the Gatling Gun is the ol' staple that folks new and old alike constantly turn back to. Dragon Gun is hype...even if it doesn't break my top twenty. I also enjoy the Stun Gun and the Flamer Gun and the Shotgun (gun?) and the-

...There's just too many guns to really pick, in the end. But I'd say my most frequent loadouts would be:

Frame: Ray-01 or Halberd (It's a Teleporting Cop Robo. That's hype).
Gun: Blade, Stun, Shotgun, or Trap
Bomb: Straight (any variant), Wall, Freeze, or Acrobat
Pod: Freeze or Satellite
Leg: Formula or Feather

Last edited:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
My loadout was always:

Seal Head
Shotgun
High Jump Legs

I never used bombs and pods so I never found the right ones for me. I just jumped high around the stage and slowly made my way to the opponent with the shotgun. Even without bombs and pods, I remember doing very well against randoms online in Custom Robo Arena and barely losing any matches (although I would probably get bodied by somebody who actually knows what they are doing lol).

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Dragon-Gun (Wyvern Gun included here), Phoenix-Gun and Hornet-Gun might not be the most useful whn it comes to close quarters, BUT MAN, it is hype when they work. So much force and efficient when they do.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
As AceZTeller AceZTeller said, there's currently an English patch out there for the original C.R. game. You can try that too, if you want! It's really fun and the story's quite neat!

BTW, everyone. Now that we know that Ray (MK II AND MK III models) and Flare are Spirits, do you think they'll be possessing clones of R.O.B. in Story Mode?

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
As AceZTeller AceZTeller said, there's currently an English patch out there for the original C.R. game. You can try that too, if you want! It's really fun and the story's quite neat!

BTW, everyone. Now that we know that Ray (MK II AND MK III models) and Flare are Spirits, do you think they'll be possessing clones of R.O.B. in Story Mode?
One of them will probably get Megaman, and I believe we have other robot themed Mii costumes, so that could work as well.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Yes...I can see us having to fight a Mii Gunner in the Ray costume during the story mode.

Also, if the Ray effect is not to start you off in a fight with the Ray Gun...I'll be disappoint.

----------

Giga Kaiju Giga Kaiju ...the hornet gun scares me. Always. Even if I know how to counter it. That Linda fight, I swear.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Man, I forgot of that aspect. Ray being part of the new Adventure Mode that way. Either as a Spirit or as a Mii Costume sounds kind of rad. It makes sense for it to be alongside R.O.B. Or Megaman (probably the latter considering his ever-changing appearances to overcome any situation, much like the Robos in CR). Any of the two choices sound rad.

It is fine if you hide through obstacles, Rayleigh Rayleigh
but otherwise you're in trouble if you are a near-straight proximity to the user. Otherwise, they're open to get wrecked if going with oneself's attempts at using one of the weapons mentioned again and again.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
One of them will probably get Megaman, and I believe we have other robot themed Mii costumes, so that could work as well.
Oh, yeah! You know what? I've just noticed this now, but there's actually a rather notable amount of robot-based Mii Fighter outfits this time around. Ray included, of course. Ray and Flare could just possess some of those.

Yes...I can see us having to fight a Mii Gunner in the Ray costume during the story mode.

Also, if the Ray effect is not to start you off in a fight with the Ray Gun...I'll be disappoint.
Oh, man! That better happen!

Man, I forgot of that aspect. Ray being part of the new Adventure Mode that way. Either as a Spirit or as a Mii Costume sounds kind of rad. It makes sense for it to be alongside R.O.B. Or Megaman (probably the latter considering his ever-changing appearances to overcome any situation, much like the Robos in CR). Any of the two choices sound rad.
Honestly, this is why I'm more hyped than ever before for Spirits. In a way, the Spirit you're fighting may not be the character in their actual, physical body, but it's STILL that character nonetheless. Not only that, but Spirits (which serve as Ultimate's collectibles) actually have a genuinely AND believable important role in STORY MODE, of all things.

That's not even going into how Ray just happens to be one of the characters that got a LOT of preferential treatment, so to speak (what with his Mii Gunner outfit and all).

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
In that way, Spirits make it seem like hundreds and hundreds of characters are part of the story alongside with the actual playable character it truly seems like the massive Nintendo universe is part of the plot at once.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
In that way, Spirits make it seem like hundreds and hundreds of characters are part of the story alongside with the actual playable character it truly seems like the massive Nintendo universe is part of the plot at once.

Actually, that's precisely the case! According to the story mode's OP cutscene, Galeem's apocalyptic attack didn't just take out Ultimate's entire playable roster (bar Kirby)... it took out the ENTIRE Nintendo UNIVERSE/MULTIVERSE. It doesn't matter if a character is/was recent enough to be known or obscure for years on end, if they were known worldwide or if their existence was limited to a certain region, Galeem didn't leave ANYONE alive after that attack. Heck, Kirby only escaped it by the skin of his... skin(?) Eh, you know what I mean.

In fact, this is precisely why the Spirits in Ultimate are a thing. Galeem essentially vaporized EVERYONE, and they all ended up losing their bodies. Their souls are literally all that remain of them right now. Even characters who wouldn't think would have a soul (i.e. Custom Robo characters, the S.T. Falcon from Battle Clash, the Labobot, etc.)

Long story short, Kirby... has REALLY got his work cut out for him, considering the hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of souls he needs to "purify". On the positive side, at least he'll be able to amass a massive-enough army to take on Galeem.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Giga Kaiju Giga Kaiju

--------------------

But yeah, I'm really digging the story mode...but I still want Rahu uh- I mean uh...Tabu. Yes. Tabu. But I'm hoping we see Ray MKlll (Mii Gunner) as an opponent, with some nice CR sticker attached to him for added oomph. The fact that Custom Robo got such screen time feels good. Real good.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
We've seen in the direct that the battle with Lip has us fighting against a mii with her costume and music, so it is very possible that we would fight a Ray mk III mii to get the Ray spirit (and maybe even some CR music to go with the battle??). I'm also thinking that the Ray spirit will be one of the spirits that can evolve, and that it will evolve from the original Ray to Ray mk III once it's leveled up.

Also, it's confirmed in the direct that the Flare battle will be against Samus, probably because she is the character that most resembles Flare.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Do we know how many levels a Spirit goes up by? Because if so? Yeah, I can see the Ray spirit going from One through to three...and hopefully we don't see Ray-01. I mean- let's see our boy, but I'm hyped for the idea of Ray-01 over MKlll as our fighter in the end.. I mean- you look up custom robo on google and you'll find Ray-01 and Battle Revolution more often than the other games.

...Wait- we can play as Miis online now, right? Hopefully so.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Hey guys!
I've been gunning for Ray (specifically 01) for a while now.
I remember renting the GCN game literally the week right before Brawl was released in Japan, and at that moment, he became my most wanted after Villager and Mega Man.
Not gonna lie...while a full character would have been fantastic, I think Mii Gunner is the most realistic thing we could hope for. Not only does the costume look sick (mainly because you can't see the Mii face :laugh:), but it will probably be the most I will use Mii Gunner...ever. Seriously, Mii Gunner is one of my least favorite Smash characters period, but slap Ray on it, and I'll definitely give it another try.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Do we know how many levels a Spirit goes up by? Because if so? Yeah, I can see the Ray spirit going from One through to three...and hopefully we don't see Ray-01. I mean- let's see our boy, but I'm hyped for the idea of Ray-01 over MKlll as our fighter in the end.. I mean- you look up custom robo on google and you'll find Ray-01 and Battle Revolution more often than the other games.

...Wait- we can play as Miis online now, right? Hopefully so.
You can! Can't wait for that!

My day one with this game is going to be rushing to get the Ray Mk. III costume while trying to do everything else.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Your profile pic is absolutely gold.
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It is simply a picture that is my eternal mood towards the series.

So here's my question! As we are all Mii Gunner players now, which customization (heh) makes the most sense to reference a CR character?

I'll be playing my favorite moves regardless, but I'm curious to see.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Hm...assuming the Miis have the same options as last time?

Neutral Special: Grenade Launch (Representing Bombs) or Laser Blaze (Representing Guns)
Side Special: Stealth Burst (Representing Bombs...but neutral's bomb option feels better as a bomb, even if it it means the gun options are exclusive to the the normal moves) or Gunner Missile (Representing Straight Bombs)
Up Special: Any...none represent Ray-01 or Custom Robo well. Personally, I say Cannon Uppercut because it can be argued as the Acrobat Bomb (which I hate in-game but love the idea of in Smash.)
Down Special: Bomb Roll (Representing Pods).

--------------

Course, for your competitive people, Custom Moves were banned long ago so...uh...that's moot? Personally, I think I'll be going with Laser Blaze, Gunner Missile, Cannon Uppercut, and Bomb Roll. Get the Ray vibe going.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Hm...assuming the Miis have the same options as last time?

Neutral Special: Grenade Launch (Representing Bombs) or Laser Blaze (Representing Guns)
Side Special: Stealth Burst (Representing Bombs...but neutral's bomb option feels better as a bomb, even if it it means the gun options are exclusive to the the normal moves) or Gunner Missile (Representing Straight Bombs)
Up Special: Any...none represent Ray-01 or Custom Robo well. Personally, I say Cannon Uppercut because it can be argued as the Acrobat Bomb (which I hate in-game but love the idea of in Smash.)
Down Special: Bomb Roll (Representing Pods).

--------------

Course, for your competitive people, Custom Moves were banned long ago so...uh...that's moot? Personally, I think I'll be going with Laser Blaze, Gunner Missile, Cannon Uppercut, and Bomb Roll. Get the Ray vibe going.
wow, that's exactly my default go-to for mii gunner. The rest just seem a bit meh tbh. Grenade Launch might just be my favorite move in smash. I hope Mii characters are able to custom move in ultimate for things like tournament. I just wanna use Grenade, Missile, Cannon Upper, and Bomb Roll.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I'm not competitive guy, but it does seem unfair to gimp the mii characters in that ban. But, with custom moves for everyone else appearing to be gone, perhaps that'll change...and we'll see some Ray MKlll mains. :^)

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Me when I look at the release dates of the games, to be honest.

-----------------

Outside of the delightfully controversial Piranha Plant (who isn't that unheard of when you think about it), I'm hoping at least one of those Nintendo-Selected DLC ideas is an obscure one...but I'm still willing to bet that these five will be upcoming First-Party tie-ins or Friendly Third-Parties.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
smashkirby smashkirby And that is why the Story/Adventure Mode is so hype. Even without the prospect of not having many cutscenes, the implication of an Multiverse is just fascinating and cool. My inner child fangasms at the idea. Hmm. Oh who am I kidding~? Even my older self gushes at the idea. :eek:.

Rayleigh Rayleigh I see you have a lot of experiences with the Hornet-Gun, it seems~

BTW, excited at the possibility Custom Robo is going to be part of the story with the Mii Costume. About time the series got attention with Smash.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Oh gosh, enough of the Hornet gun!!! The worst is when you get shot point blank and sound is loud and unholy. The poor robos....

On another note, I saw that the 5 dlc characters are going to be handpicked by nintendo. It changes my predictions, but more topically, it probably means no Ray 01.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
...I've spent the past five hours since your post, Giga Kaiju Giga Kaiju , keeping myself from writing up another one of my brain dumps...about why I hate the Hornet Gun. Unless people want to see that, I think we're good.

Also, AceZTeller AceZTeller , from what I've read, there was a list curated by Nintendo for Sakurai to look over, which he then picked or did not. So...It's possible, but I'm still riding the Mii Costume Hype.

Top Bottom