• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And yet that didn't stop Ridley. Ray is fine, or any robo in that regard. That can't be counted as a negative point anymore
The main issue is that Nintendo can't seem to have successful mini-robot brands anymore, first or third party, between CR being cancelled, Danball Senki's 3DS port bombing and Medarot's main developer being shuttered, while there's another developer's failed attempt at getting Medarot to cater to the moe audience.

It's up to the fans now to prove that demand for Ray is there under these circumstances.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
The main issue is that Nintendo can't seem to have successful mini-robot brands anymore, first or third party, between CR being cancelled, Danball Senki's 3DS port bombing and Medarot's main developer being shuttered, while there's another developer's failed attempt at getting Medarot to cater to the moe audience.

It's up to the fans now to prove that demand for Ray is there under these circumstances.
The only thing is that new mech action Nintendo game trailer that they released not too long ago. Sadly, no CR but at least those are mechs.

Ray is too small lol, don’t know if I would love or hate to see a meme made out of that
Just for the ironic meme, it may be worth it. :b:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Daemon X Machina does seem promising enough, I'm watching that closely.

Also, memes could help, just look at the Lanky movement.
It does look cool, besides like mechs are always cool in media so it should be no surprise for it to be in this case.

Memes can do wonders and both help and hurt but overall it brings attention.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It does look cool, besides like mechs are always cool in media so it should be no surprise for it to be in this case.

Memes can do wonders and both help and hurt but overall it brings attention.
For real, memes are great for a character's popularity. Bad attention will get fans to speak out more often, namedrops make people aware; I'd 100% love for "Ray is too small" to happen.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I wasn't aware of this Exit poll done on smash boards.

I can't say how accurate these are, but take a look for yourselves.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...w5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=1483868529
This is a weird list of results right here. No Skull Kid, or any other LoZ characters at all, no Pokemon outside of Pichu, Wonder Red hasn't been this high in awhile, Ashley is noticeably absent. I don't see this poll being accurate in the least if I'm being honest.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
This is a weird list of results right here. No Skull Kid, or any other LoZ characters at all, no Pokemon outside of Pichu, Wonder Red hasn't been this high in awhile, Ashley is noticeably absent. I don't see this poll being accurate in the least if I'm being honest.
Not sure what to think either.

Was shadow that low? I don't think so.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Lol, so GameXplain just came out with a video going over all the assist trophies that haven't made it to smash ultimate yet and of course there was a segment on Ray Mk. III.

He only came up to Ganondorfs knee in height.

I've doubled down on my stance. He should be small!

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Lol, so GameXplain just came out with a video going over all the assist trophies that haven't made it to smash ultimate yet and of course there was a segment on Ray Mk. III.

He only came up to Ganondorfs knee in height.

I've doubled down on my stance. He should be small!

So he shouldn't be scaled up?

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
So he shouldn't be scaled up?
Absolutely not! The big gimmick of CR is that they're all super small, but they're super small compared to their commanders. So the CR rep should be as small as the assist trophy because a very small character would be super interesting, especially if they act as a sort of pixie character with only projectiles.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Absolutely not! The big gimmick of CR is that they're all super small, but they're super small compared to their commanders. So the CR rep should be as small as the assist trophy because a very small character would be super interesting, especially if they act as a sort of pixie character with only projectiles.
Hm. I'm not too sure if a small character would work in smash.

If anything, it would be an assist trophy.

Battiest Badger

Smash Cadet
Ray's been one of my three most wanted characters for a few games now. If only Nintendo didn't have so many great characters, lol. I agree that at the very least I hope he gets his assist trophy back. I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if he actually made it in, but in the best way.

Battiest Badger

Smash Cadet
If we get Ray, which model do you think we would get? Mk III or 01? I think 01 is the better looking as a personal preference.

Wow, yikes. Looking at them side by side, Ray 01 looks way better. It's also the only one I've played. I never played Arena because I never had an original DS. Plus, it was the first outside of Japan so it has that going for it.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Ray 01 was specifically designed to Appeal to western audiences.

That's why the storyline is partially silly with how it handled the edgy plot.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Wow, yikes. Looking at them side by side, Ray 01 looks way better. It's also the only one I've played. I never played Arena because I never had an original DS. Plus, it was the first outside of Japan so it has that going for it.
If we're talking how iconic the designs are, at least in Japan its the Mk. III. The series has for the most part been in that cartoon style. While I personally love Ray 01and his design, the Cartoony designs of arena and such are charming too.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
If we get a Ray as a rep, then considering my introduction, Ray 01 from Battle Revolution. That would be my personal preference, but I would not mind an original attempt/model exclusive for Smash like with other characters already in the game.

It could be interesting.

:bowser:.

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
Stopped lurking to share my support for Ray MK III!

I just think he has so much potential for such a unique moveset. And also, I just ****ing love Mechs in general and I especially like the Ray MK III from CR Arena.

He's one of my Big 3, that I absolutely want in Smash (Ray, Isaac, Saki). After their inclusion, I'd pretty much be pleased. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to even more characters but I wouldn't hold a small grudge against Sakurai anymore. ^^

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Stopped lurking to share my support for Ray MK III!

I just think he has so much potential for such a unique moveset. And also, I just ****ing love Mechs in general and I especially like the Ray MK III from CR Arena.

He's one of my Big 3, that I absolutely want in Smash (Ray, Isaac, Saki). After their inclusion, I'd pretty much be pleased. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to even more characters but I wouldn't hold a small grudge against Sakurai anymore. ^^
I personally wouldn't expect a lot.

Isaac seems like he could be in Smash.

And yeah, custom Robo is at the top 20.

But we don't know how well Saki did in the ballot. (At least, right.)

For right now, those 3 have a chance, but I wouldn't expect a miracle if I were you.

Last edited:

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
I personally wouldn't expect a lot.

Isaac seems like he could be in Smash.

And yeah, custom Robo is at the top.

But we don't know how well Saki did in the ballot. (At least, right.)

For right now, those 3 have a chance, but I wouldn't expect a miracle if I were you.
From experience, I try to expect NOTHING from Nintendo. ^^'
That's impossible of course, but yeah, I'm well aware, that their chances aren't too high. I also think that Isaac has the highest chances, Ray second and then far off comes Saki. But hey, if anyone at Nintendo is known to make miracles come true it's Sakurai, so if there's anytime to wish for something it's during the reveal period of a new Smash. :D

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
From experience, I try to expect NOTHING from Nintendo. ^^'
That's impossible of course, but yeah, I'm well aware, that they're chances aren't too high. I also think that Isaac has the highest chances, Ray second and then far off comes Saki. But hey, if anyone at Nintendo is known to make miracles come true it's Sakurai, so if there's anytime to wish for something it's during the reveal period of a new Smash. :D
I mean, Isaac was in the top 5.

Ray the top 20.

And Saki....idk.

Though, Sakurai does love S&N, but I'm not sure if that's enough.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I personally feel like Saki has a slightly better chance just considering Sakurai’s clear attachment to the series and the character. With KI: Uprising being clearly inspired by S&P, and with Saki being one of the few “irrelevant” assist trophies to return from Brawl to Smash 4. I’m reeaally hoping for Ray as well, but in the light of Isaac and Saki, I’m certainly not giving my hopes up.

As for his design, I’m still of the opinion that Ray should stand at about the same height as most human characters. Like Marth, Link, Samus, and the like. I really don’t feel he needs the gimmick of “really small fighter” to stand out. Being a mech that utilizes all of the various Custom Robo abilities is more than enough. And even though he might be canonically very pixie-like, that shouldn’t really matter. It’s basically the same as Olimar. If they were gonna have a tiny fighter, I feel like it should have been a Pikmin character for sure.

I also would prefer the Battle Revolution model. It’s the game I grew up playing, and it just looks the coolest in my opinion. Also I just like the name Ray 01 a lot, and I really wanna hear the announcer say it for some reason.:estatic:

Last edited:

Battiest Badger

Smash Cadet
Ray 01 was specifically designed to Appeal to western audiences.

That's why the storyline is partially silly with how it handled the edgy plot.
If we're talking how iconic the designs are, at least in Japan its the Mk. III. The series has for the most part been in that cartoon style. While I personally love Ray 01and his design, the Cartoony designs of arena and such are charming too.
Well, if it's more historically accurate and frankly, probably easier since it's a simpler design, Ray Mk III is perfectly fine by me. I just want him to exist.

As for his design, I’m still of the opinion that Ray should stand at about the same height as most human characters. Like Marth, Link, Samus, and the like. I really don’t feel he needs the gimmick of “really small fighter” to stand out. Being a mech that utilizes all of the various Custom Robo abilities is more than enough. And even though he might be canonically very pixie-like, that shouldn’t really matter. It’s basically the same as Olimar. If they were gonna have a tiny fighter, I feel like it should have been a Pikmin character for sure.
I agree that he definitely shouldn't be as small as Olimar, but I also don't want him to be human-sized. Definitely keep the smaller feel I think, but without going to the point of absurdity. The novelty would wear off pretty quick. Somewhere around Villager or Inkling height would be best in my opinion, especially since he'd probably be a pretty fast character, it would make sense to be smaller and somewhat light. I don't want him to be as tall as Luigi or Peach, that's for sure.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If we get Ray, which model do you think we would get? Mk III or 01? I think 01 is the better looking as a personal preference.

Personally, I'd like the "Make all of Ray's models available via alts." option, but I don't know if that would work (Hitboxes, don't you know). That said, I think I'll go with MK III since that was in Brawl, and I rather enjoy Arena. Of course, I'd have virtually NO problem with Ray 01 in Smash.

Heck, as I've said recently, beggars can't be choosers as Ray NEEDS the support desperately.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Well, if it's more historically accurate and frankly, probably easier since it's a simpler design, Ray Mk III is perfectly fine by me. I just want him to exist.

I agree that he definitely shouldn't be as small as Olimar, but I also don't want him to be human-sized. Definitely keep the smaller feel I think, but without going to the point of absurdity. The novelty would wear off pretty quick. Somewhere around Villager or Inkling height would be best in my opinion, especially since he'd probably be a pretty fast character, it would make sense to be smaller and somewhat light. I don't want him to be as tall as Luigi or Peach, that's for sure.
Yeah I’d be down for that. To me it depends on the design. If it’s MK III, I’d actually prefer the size you suggested. But if they go with the more realistic model from Battle Revolution, I think it would look a lot better standing at a more adult human height. That’s just me though.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'd like the "Make all of Ray's models available via alts." option, but I don't know if that would work (Hitboxes, don't you know). That said, I think I'll go with MK III since that was in Brawl, and I rather enjoy Arena. Of course, I'd have virtually NO problem with Ray 01 in Smash.

Heck, as I've said recently, beggars can't be choosers as Ray NEEDS the support desperately.
That would definitely be the best case scenario. Ray Mk. III or Ray 01 is announced and you can play as, like, all the Ray's throughout the years as alts.

Though now that I think about it, Ray 01 has a little edge over Ray Mk. III to be the main rep because CR:BR had alt colors for your robos; default, red, green, yellow, and blue.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
That would definitely be the best case scenario. Ray Mk. III or Ray 01 is announced and you can play as, like, all the Ray's throughout the years as alts.

Though now that I think about it, Ray 01 has a little edge over Ray Mk. III to be the main rep because CR:BR had alt colors for your robos; default, red, green, yellow, and blue.
Ray 01 has a huge mixed reception by it's japanese fanbase. That's why with Arena, they went back to the series art style.

Though, i wouldnt mind either.

Btw, Custom Robo might have a chance to be a fight. Keyword might.

Looking at the poll, That list was supposed to be an estimate made by the ballot. The ballot which most people percieved as the DLC character request. (AT were highly unlikely, it's why Isaac and CR were higher than expected.)

The reason why it's important is because the ballot is supposed what the newcomers this time are based off of.

1. Ashley is on the list. She's labeled a red color.
2. Magnetmite, and Pokemon Trainer were on there.
3.Does toon ganondorf not count?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah I’d be down for that. To me it depends on the design. If it’s MK III, I’d actually prefer the size you suggested. But if they go with the more realistic model from Battle Revolution, I think it would look a lot better standing at a more adult human height. That’s just me though.
Actually, I wouldn't mind this myself. MK III being about one of the Smash children's height and 01 being about Link's height.

Sakurai's even the kind of guy that seems to REAAALLY do his homework in regards to stuff like this, so I can totally see him wanting to do this (Make every Ray model playable via alt. skin) in regards to helping Custom Robo celebrate its history.

Holy cow, Custom Robo's 20th Anniversary is next year!

As XenoWarriorX XenoWarriorX has said, Battle Revolution didn't do so hot in the West, so I see MK III being the default rep for a variety of reasons: Closer to what the Japanese seem to like, was in Brawl, etc.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
As XenoWarriorX XenoWarriorX has said, Battle Revolution didn't do so hot in the West, so I see MK III being the default rep for a variety of reasons: Closer to what the Japanese seem to like, was in Brawl, etc.
Actually, i said that Battle Revolution had a mixed reception in japan. But you are right about BR not doing "hot" here either.

While it did get decent sales (and that's how it managed to released into Pal Regions, and the US again.) The critical reception was less than steller.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Actually, i said that Battle Revolution had a mixed reception in japan. But you are right about BR not doing "hot" here either.

While it did get decent sales (and that's how it managed to released into Pal Regions, and the US again.) The critical reception was less than steller.
Whoops! Sorry, I'm just really tired. I meant to say that JAPAN is where Battle Revolution didn't do so hot, and that's why MK III has a more simplified design. Although, I am aware of the game not doing great here either. Heaven knows it did better than in Japan, but not by that much...

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Whoops! Sorry, I'm just really tired. I meant to say that JAPAN is where Battle Revolution didn't do so hot, and that's why MK III has a more simplified design. Although, I am aware of the game not doing great here either. Heaven knows it did better than in Japan, but not by that much...
It's a shame that series never took off after it was localized in the west. Nintendo killing i and ignoring it for so long has lessened the chances of it coming back. :(

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It's a shame that series never took off after it was localized in the west. Nintendo killing i and ignoring it for so long has lessened the chances of it coming back. :(
Yeah, and if that 4chan post above is true, Custom Robo's chances of being revived by its developers is depressigly low. Like, my GOD. You could say that NOISE took a real...NOISE-dive.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Yeah, and if that 4chan post above is true, Custom Robo's chances of being revived by its developers is depressigly low. Like, my GOD. You could say that NOISE took a real...NOISE-dive.

LMAO.

Honestly, Smash bros may be the only way to revive him. But even then, it's a slight.

He may just turn into Captain Falcon, where he only lives on in smash.
(God, as an F-Zero fan, that hurt.)

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Wow, I haven't truly realized how many characters I've wanted but never really gotten. My support is given for Ray.

Top Bottom