• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I really don’t like that idea, I’m probably the only one but I’d rather get color palettes than alternate characters as skins. It just feels like it’s underserving the character by not giving them color swaps, while at the same time underserving the alts because all they can amount to is a skin.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I really don’t like that idea, I’m probably the only one but I’d rather get color palettes than alternate characters as skins. It just feels like it’s underserving the character by not giving them color swaps, while at the same time underserving the alts because all they can amount to is a skin.
Well, I can't say I blame you. In fact, what you just listed is pretty why I DON'T want my idea to come to fruition. Actually, now that color swaps are being brought up...

I'm pretty sure these are already in the OP, but it wouldn't hurt to show it here, right?

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I agree with this but for every character. I don't wanna see a Alph alt, or Koopaling alts. They cheapen the actual character. I wanna have a blue Bowser Jr skin with the Shadow Mario bandanna, not Ludwig.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I would absolutely think it'd be a really cool character if that got in. Take my support! :)

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Say, guys. What do you all think Ray's reveal trailer would be like?
I don't think he's a big enough deal to get a trailer all his own. If he got a trailer, it would be in conjunction with a few other characters.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Gee, I guess the confidence in Ray isn't exactly at an all-time-high right now. Then again, Custom Robo hasn't had a new game in 12 years...

Well, if no one minds, I'd at least like to ask one other thing. Do you all think Ray would be unlockable for a Smash game. Honestly, I don't see him being a starter...

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Gee, I guess the confidence in Ray isn't exactly at an all-time-high right now. Then again, Custom Robo hasn't had a new game in 12 years...

Well, if no one minds, I'd at least like to ask one other thing. Do you all think Ray would be unlockable for a Smash game. Honestly, I don't see him being a starter...
You know what I wish? I wish that when people made these semi-believable leaks, they added some far-fetched names like Ray in there. Popularity always sees a boost after people start believing the character actually has a shot.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice

Oh don’t get me wrong! I want nothing more than for him to be in the game! I pray to my shrine of rediculous avatar emotes from CR GameCube every night! I’m just also realistic. If Ray we’re to get in, you hear me screaming from mars.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know what I wish? I wish that when people made these semi-believable leaks, they added some far-fetched names like Ray in there. Popularity always sees a boost after people start believing the character actually has a shot.
If that was enough to give Mini-Kangaroo supporters, then I'd say Ray TOTALLY needs a leak like that.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Say, guys. What do you all think Ray's reveal trailer would be like?
I don't think he's a big enough deal to get a trailer all his own. If he got a trailer, it would be in conjunction with a few other characters.
I’m inclined to agree with Zesty here, but man it’d be cool if they did a throwback to the original CR GameCube opening.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If that was enough to give Mini-Kangaroo supporters, then I'd say Ray TOTALLY needs a leak like that.
I never heard of any Mini Kangaroo rumor. I just saw a random thread here, and was like "neat".

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, don’t get me wrong! I want nothing more than for him to be in the game! I pray to my shrine of ridiculous avatar emotes from CR GameCube every night! I’m just also realistic. If Ray we’re to get in, you hear me screaming from mars.
Oh, OK. For a moment there, I was afraid that everyone completely lost hope for Ray. I understand his chances of being playable aren't exactly stellar, but I was at least hoping for a bit more...hype(?) to radiate from here.

I’m inclined to agree with Zesty here, but man it’d be cool if they did a throwback to the original CR GameCube opening.
Oh, definitely!!

I never heard of any Mini Kangaroo rumor.
Eeeexactly. Basically, a Smash 4 rumor released during Smash 4's DLC period contained (of all things) Mini-Kangaroo (the kangaroo mascot of Nintendo's "toy-era" from the 1970's. That said, you wouldn't BELIEVE how much support Mini-Kangaroo ended up gaining from this FAKE leak. Heck, @Aussie the Naturist even made a Mini-Kangaroo for Smash thread here on SmashBoards, which has a notable amount of supporters.

If Mini-Kangaroo could get THAT much support, I almost want a fake leak that contains Ray so that he can gain the same notability. It may be a fake leak, but it would do SOMETHING for him, right?

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Oh, OK. For a moment there, I was afraid that everyone completely lost hope for Ray. I understand his chances of being playable aren't exactly stellar, but I was at least hoping for a bit more...hype(?) to radiate from here.
I think our hype kind of died with Ray's chances in smash 4. The whole "assist trophy being removed" thing was something I personally was banking on as him being playable, but I suppose it just wasn't meant to be.

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
I was kind of sad that ARMs came around and took the "hardcore esports" niche that I was hoping Custom Robo would someday slot itself into at Nintendo. Oh well. I still loved the Gamecube and DS games and still support Ray as a playable fighter or an Assist trophy in Smash.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
I was kind of sad that ARMs came around and took the "hardcore esports" niche that I was hoping Custom Robo would someday slot itself into at Nintendo. Oh well. I still loved the Gamecube and DS games and still support Ray as a playable fighter or an Assist trophy in Smash.
I'm still waiting for the f2p CR game with a robo-cube amiibo being the only buy in. It would quite literally be like having a robo-cube like in the games.

I agree with you though. Most of the games in this series are literally about esport robo leagues. The fact that Nintendo hasn't made the connection is mind boggling.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, Pit didn't have a new game in over 20+ years when Brawl first came out. Smash has been known to go for the obscure....

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I've been saying for awhile CR is the perfect esport venture for Nintendo. It just makes too much sense

Hey, Pit didn't have a new game in over 20+ years when Brawl first came out. Smash has been known to go for the obscure....
That feels like a special special case to me. Like Sakurai really just fell in love with Kid Icarus

smashkirby

Smash Hero

So... I've heard that RelaxAlax isn't the type to risk his credibility all willy-nilly, but I guess take this with a grain of salt.

Blah-blah-blah....Eeeehhh....yeah, you all know the drill, I suppose.

Say, no one here is bothered by me continuing to keep the conversations going on this thread, are they? I know Custom Robo doesn't have much to discuss at the moment, but after playing through the original CR's story mode a few months ago, I've got C.R. on the brain.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

So... I've heard that RelaxAlax isn't the type to risk his credibility all willy-nilly, but I guess take this with a grain of salt.

Blah-blah-blah....Eeeehhh....yeah, you all know the drill, I suppose.

Say, no one here is bothered by me continuing to keep the conversations going on this thread, are they? I know Custom Robo doesn't have much to discuss at the moment, but after playing through the original CR's story mode a few months ago, I've got C.R. on the brain.
I've heard it's a joke. Who knows?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Say, who here thinks Ray should have a gimmick of customizing his weapons and equipment mid-battle? I don't know, the idea came to me recently, and it hasn't left my mind since.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Say, who here thinks Ray should have a gimmick of customizing his weapons and equipment mid-battle? I don't know, the idea came to me recently, and it hasn't left my mind since.
Can you elaborate a little on how it would work

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Can you elaborate a little on how it would work
Well, each Smash Attack (and Special Move) would switch to a different weapon/upgrade each time you perform an input. Ex. his gun would change from the Standard Gun to Dragon Gun to Magnum each time his neutral special move is used.

Think of Princess Peach's side smash attack, but extended to nearly ALL of Ray's moves.

Please, if I didn't explain that well, you can tell me.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well, each Smash Attack (and Special Move) would switch to a different weapon/upgrade each time you perform an input. Ex. his gun would change from the Standard Gun to Dragon Gun to Magnum each time his neutral special move is used.

Think of Princess Peach's side smash attack, but extended to nearly ALL of Ray's moves.

It's interesting, and I don't hate it, but I'd like to cut down on RNG personally.

So he has a bunch of different builds right? If you had to choose one, which would it be?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It's interesting, and I don't hate it, but I'd like to cut down on RNG personally.
I should mention that RNG actually WON'T apply here. Specifically, my idea for Ray will be more similar to Princess Peach's F-Smash in Smash 4, where the gear/weapons change with each use in a set pattern.

So he has a bunch of different builds right? If you had to choose one, which would it be?
Uh, I REALLY hope you don't mind me asking this, but what exactly do you mean by "builds"? I'm sorry, but with the level of customization CUSTOM Robo is known to have, it feels like you could be referring to MANY things here.... I hope I'm not coming off as stupid or rude for asking you this.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I should mention that RNG actually WON'T apply here. Specifically, my idea for Ray will be more similar to Princess Peach's F-Smash in Smash 4, where the gear/weapons change with each use in a set pattern.

Uh, I REALLY hope you don't mind me asking this, but what exactly do you mean by "builds"? I'm sorry, but with the level of customization CUSTOM Robo is known to have, it feels like you could be referring to MANY things here.... I hope I'm not coming off as stupid or rude for asking you this.
Gun, Bomb, Pod, Legs

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice

Honestly, if it weren’t for palutena being the “custom moves” character, Ray would’ve been the best character to show off the feature. Like neutral b would be three wildly different guns, side b would be three wildly different bombs, down b would be three wildly different pods, and the up b would probably be three different legs or airdashes. TBH I’m not a huge fan of the concept of Peach’s f-smash.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Gun, Bomb, Pod, Legs
Oh, OK. Well then, I'd want the Gatling Gun, Tomahawk Bomb, Wave Pod, and Formula Legs.

Honestly, if it weren’t for palutena being the “custom moves” character, Ray would’ve been the best character to show off the feature. Like neutral b would be three wildly different guns, side b would be three wildly different bombs, down b would be three wildly different pods, and the up b would probably be three different legs or airdashes. TBH I’m not a huge fan of the concept of Peach’s f-smash.
I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. Ray could have been THE "mascot" for customization in Smash, and yet they totally shot themselves in the foot by not having him as a playable character. Heck, even if he returned as an AT, they could have given him the gimmick of switching gear every single time you summoned him.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of which, anyone hear about Ray in Ultimate? Any bad news?
I think it’ll be a while until news pops up, if any news pops up at all. We’re in that post e3 lull.

So did anyone else see that Daemon X Machina trailer, and think maybe that was what the infamous Sakurai mech was about?
Probably not. I don’t think Hal Laboratories/Sora Ltd. is working on that game.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
No news is kinda good news right now if you think about it
Well that wasn't really the case for Ray during the last game. No news ended up being....no news.

Same for Isaac.

That said I'd be kinda surprised if Ray didn't at least return as an assist trophy. There shouldn't be any technical reasons stopping him returning this time. (I guess it's possible he wasn't in the last game because he'd be too small for the 3DS screen?)

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well that wasn't really the case for Ray during the last game. No news ended up being....no news.

Same for Isaac.

That said I'd be kinda surprised if Ray didn't at least return as an assist trophy. There shouldn't be any technical reasons stopping him returning this time. (I guess it's possible he wasn't in the last game because he'd be too small for the 3DS screen?)
Well when you're right you're right, I've also become aware there's supposed to be many more AT's so we're not safe yet.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice

Same for Isaac.

Maaaaaan, I feel for you golden sun fans. I think I remember there being a little camaraderie between the two of our groups a long time ago. I wish your character luck, at any rate!

Top Bottom