• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Custom Moveset Project: Mega Man

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Interesting set against that Shiek. Why were you packing Skull Barrier? Both Leaf Shield and Plant Barrier would have been much better since you like to recover high so much.

Greward

Smash Lord
Sheik is like super duper hard, I always feel happy when I win that MU. Beat really helps at that matchup though.

Actually I answered that in the video thread lol So about the Skull barrier pick over plant barrier:

Plant Barrier is definitely better in the matchup IMO, specially if using Beat. I picked Skull barrier to counter the player. He loves to spam needles when he has me at ~100-120%, which I find annoying, since they can knock you to the ground, and it leads to kill setups. I wanted him to commit to fair spacing so I could trade with a Danger Wrap to get kills.

Maybe plant barrier woulda been better anyways, but dunno.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I don't see why SB would solve that problem. Can you even get to Shiek in time to follow up on a successfully reflected needle? Why wouldn't she throw them anyway?

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, this is for all of you, and @NinjaLink in particular to see why I love 1333 the most.

This is grand finals of the first tournament in the Big Mama's Little Cup series. It's a long video, so you don't need to watch the entire thing, but I want to show you how incredibly strong 1333 is, and why Beat synergizes so well with plant barrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aRjQv5fdJ4

(Note, I am the top Megaman player in Northern California, and compete with the top players at ShowdownGG's tournaments a lot. I've been on hiatus recently, but this was my first tournament since I started playing again after school ended. Please critque. I'll ignore ignorant bs with great pleasure, but feel free to use whatever you like in your game, and feel free to criticize what you don't like as well.)

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
that was solid gameplay. you have a good understanding of how megaman fights. if i give advice, it's just on how to better your already great gameplay. you have a good neutral game too. but sometimes i notice you stop the neutral game, and go in, and sometimes it backfires. as a megaman player, i know it gets boring keeping up the neutral game for too long. aggressive megaman is hella fun to play. i noticed a few times in the match that wario just power shields your approach, then punishes you. it sucks cuz wario can combo you into some annoying percentages. i'd just recommend to be a bit patient at the neutral game, and keep pestering wario. if you want to go a bit aggro, inch yourself closer with lemons, and wait for wario to throw out a laggy move, then punish,and combo him.

megaman's neutral game keeps out wario pretty good, and if wario wants to approach they got to risk it by going bike, or jumping to fair, or nair. lemons frustrate wario more than you think. the best thing is to memorize the start up and end lag of wario's approaches and pick an appropriate punish when you see the opportunity. you handled it pretty well tho. i'd just say to keep playing the matchup and you'll get better and better at it.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hello Mega Man boards. Probably my first time posting in here? Anyways, I recently typed up a lengthy post pertaining to Shield art in the Shulk board's move-set analysis thread. While I was testing many things for Shield arts, I discovered the exact percentages Shulk starts getting frozen by Mega Man's Ice Slasher custom move in Training Mode. Have some numbers:

Mega Man using Ice Slasher. Ice Slasher deals ~4% at any distance.
Vanilla Shulk starts getting frozen by Ice Slasher at 20%. When crouching, freezing starts at 33%.
Shield Shulk starts getting frozen at 42%. When crouching, freezing starts at 58%.
Decisive Shield Shulk starts getting frozen at 52%. When crouching, freezing starts at 71%.
Hyper Shield Shulk starts getting frozen at 66%. When crouching, freezing starts at 86%.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Might as well give this a bump due to the latest patch: Hyper Bomb now ends 5 frames faster and Ice Slasher now ends 6 frames faster.

Mega Man neutral B 2 ends 5 frames faster. MM side b 2 ends 6 frames faster. No other changes.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Time for me to hit the lab again with Hyper Bomb! Oh yeah!! :3

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Not exactly, but it was definitely more than Metal Blade and Shadow Blade. I'm hoping now that more follow-ups will be possible, maybe even something similar to the Z1gma Upper!

After work someday this week I'm hoping to lab it up. I'll add to my Hyper Bomb thread as necessary. :)

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Not exactly, but it was definitely more than Metal Blade and Shadow Blade. I'm hoping now that more follow-ups will be possible, maybe even something similar to the Z1gma Upper!

After work someday this week I'm hoping to lab it up. I'll add to my Hyper Bomb thread as necessary. :)

If ENKER Upper (that's what I think hyper -> utilt should be called ;) ) becomes a thing I'm definately going over to that one... I love the bomb, just miss the Z1gma upper too much

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Well, now I can safely say that a 2213 or 2231 build is viable now. :ohwell:

Edit : That's not to say that Hyper Bomb is useless (I really like it, it has the best angles ever XD ), but its KBG is too high to get any Metal Blade-like / Shadow Blade-like follow-ups...
It still is better for Space Control now tho.

...That said, maybe we could do something with its 6% Hitbox... It has less BKB and KBG than the 8% Hitbox.

And yay, Ice Slasher is better \^o^/
Fenrir VII Fenrir VII , that's your time to say something !
...Oh wait, it was @Locke 06 who made the White Halloween thread. Oh well, good news should be spread anyways :)

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I will check asap if the "ENKER Upper" is a thing. I had a Hyper Bomb upper of sorts, but I didn't like it as it was too tight to pull off consistently... But now... Mwhahahaha. Can't wait to lab it up.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
*Inserts shameless plugs of himself using hyper bomb in tourney :3*

Honestly, I find Hyper bomb to be more effective in certain match-ups than even MB (characters with bad or no projectiles). The fact that it bounces off of shields is amazing. Of course, you can also eat lots of damage for throwing it haphazardly (as seen below).

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Airborne HB > Utilt is a thing. It's a true combo according training mode.
:D

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
*Inserts shameless plugs of himself using hyper bomb in tourney :3*

Honestly, I find Hyper bomb to be more effective in certain match-ups than even MB (characters with bad or no projectiles). The fact that it bounces off of shields is amazing. Of course, you can also eat lots of damage for throwing it haphazardly (as seen below).
Actually that's good as I don't think we've had any good HB videos up until this point (if any).

Definitely saw a couple situations where this new buff will come in handy. Metal Blade will still probably be the most preferred (am curious to see how shield stun changes will effect it) but this looks to be a viable choice now. Shadow Blade & Ice Slasher I still think could use some more tweaking.

What types of match ups do you think HB would help in?

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
The problem with Ice Slasher is that it tries to give Mega Man something else to rack up some damage, something that the character already does with ease. Compare this with Danger Wrap, which gives him a powerful kill option, something he lacks on his normal moveset.

The move itself is not bad, its just that its niche is not something that Mega Man needs all that much.

Also, for a fun fact: Ice Slasher best buff would to be able to use it alongside Danger Wrap, being a powerful kill setup that is pretty safe to throw out compared to the options Mega has

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
--- said:
Actually that's good as I don't think we've had any good HB videos up until this point (if any).

Definitely saw a couple situations where this new buff will come in handy. Metal Blade will still probably be the most preferred (am curious to see how shield stun changes will effect it) but this looks to be a viable choice now. Shadow Blade & Ice Slasher I still think could use some more tweaking.

What types of match ups do you think HB would help in?
I think it's more useful in match-ups against characters that have a slow/no projectile game or are prone to linear rushdown/ aerial approaches. (I.e :4falcon::4marth:/:4lucina: :4jigglypuff::4wario: :4pit:/:4darkpit:). I've found it to be pretty okay against characters that have "traditional" reflectors (I.e :4mario:!!:4fox::4falco::4miigun::4palutena:) since they cause the bomb to travel in the same slow arc; luckily, for us, HB goes poof when we shoot pellets at it so it's not a big deal at all. :)

Of course, it's possibly even better than MB for edgeguarding since the hitbox is out for so long and sends opponents at a pretty decent angle. Honestly, I think it's one of the last few potent customs MM has that just hasn't been explored yet. Of course, I think that MB generally just has more versatility attached to it, so I would still take it into most match-ups. However, I do think that HB has a place in MM's custom meta game in certain match-ups.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
The only problem I ever had with using Hyper Bomb was the endlag made it far more limiting than Metal Blade. You couldn't use it to cover anything, so you were taking an option away from anti-rushdown play...

Now, though. Endlag is less, projectile is faster, bombs do more damage. I think this is EASILY #2 neutral B now and has a place in custom play for sure.

RE: Ice slasher... Yeah I was an early promoter of the move because it gave full stage control on hit, so was very useful on close-zoning chars. Now it's faster too.... yeah this move is great. Don't think you can miss with any of the side-B options, taking matchups into account.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hearing all of this Hyper Bomb talk is making me very happy, seeing as how I didn't think much of the Hyper Bomb at first. I'm not too familiar with customs, so what are the best sets possible?

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
  • As said before, Hyper Bomb & Ice Slasher have good complementarity, since they allow you to get the best Space control possibleby covering a wide array of angles and reseting Space Control.
  • Metal Blade is Basic, goes with everything like Bread and Butter.
  • Skull Barrier does not go well with Shadow Blade because it locks you out of any moves you could need while it is active. Metal Blade has better compatibility since it is faster to turn into an Item.
  • Shadow Blade is a CQC special, so I guess it goes well with Danger Wrap and Tornado Hold, althrough it hurts your recovery ability.
  • Leaf Shield & Plant Barrier are interchangable, choose depending of the Match-Up.
That's all I guess.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
With regards to Skull Barrier and Shadow Blade, what exactly do you mean?

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
While Skull Barrier is up, you cannot use Shadow Blade, but you can still use items, just like with Leaf Shield.
But with Skull Barrier being an active reflector
(YOU CAN MOVE WITH IT), you might just want to get as much as possible while it is active.
Being limited to defensive options, Grabs and DownB toss being obviously worse than having the possibility to throw an Item, makes me consider Shadow Blade & Skull Barrier as a bad pairing.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Right, I got that you don't get an item with Shadow Blade, I guess I was just confused as to why that was any worse than what you get when you use Leaf Shield or Plant Barrier. Shadow Blade doesn't give you an item to use with any of them.

I guess I see that you'll want to approach a projectile heavy character while Skull Barrier is out and you can't use it as a long-distance projectile like Leaf Shield giving you even more reason to approach with it.

Last edited:

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
Shadow Blade is now probably the one custom that is the most unreliable, but that could easily change if they make both hits connect reliably.

SB>Mega Upper/Flame Blast is just badass, but it works only like 10% of the time.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Appearently they are talking about updating the Custom Moveset Project so we might need to talk about possible changes to movesets. Personally I feel that Hyper Bomb deserves a few spots now, at least 2311/2111. Ice Slasher should maybe have one as well, 1211. Dunno what sets to remove though. Maybe some of the Shadow Blade ones?

EDIT: Perhaps 2211 is good as well, not 100% sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom