• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom GameCube Controllers

knockoutkid

Smash Rookie
hey gamecube scrubb I'm new to this, controllers look sick, i was wondering if you were still selling the c.falcon gc controller or the red and gold gc controller

Kite91

Mada Mada Dane
Sorry but ima have to cancel my order, i recently was able to pick up 3 brand new controllers(purple/clear, White, Emerald) and dont have the money to buy this. sorry

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
I have made a website. I will be selling some modded controllers and other things on there. It is not complete, but I have started making it. Here is the link, I will put it in my signature, too.
http://gamecubescrubb.storenvy.com
If you guys are still wondering, it has rained everyday for the past month (no kidding, if you live in NC, you feel me) I will work on the orders as soon as I can, but it is not possible in the current weather conditions. If you would like a modded controller, lemme know and I can make one for you, but if it is painted, it is going to have to wait.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I made these two months ago, I just never got around to actually posting the pictures. My friend also made one at the same time I did, but might have went a little overboard with the paint and I left mine out a day longer in the shed (not so great idea). I also never got around to adding the Melee logo to the Gold one and Falcon stock icon to the Pink one.

They looked PERFECT when I first made them, but now they're rubbing off and painting my shoulder buttons was a bad idea. My right one sticks sometimes, but I've pretty much rubbed off and blown out all the of the paint on the sides. I might take newer pictures soon.

(Not shown in the picture, the L/R/Z buttons are pink.

I had a lot of fun making these, and thank you btw for making this guide. Eventually I'm going to sand these down again and make sure I do it right the next time. I also painted my memory card gold and I also plan to paint my entire GC gold and make the top part into a silver Melee logo like the controller; that is if I ever get around to doing it and stop being a lazy sh*t.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I frogot, I also had a concept picture for my Fabulous Falcon controller which I think I made from this thread. Also, how do you make spoilers? I can't seem to quote a post that uses them and there's no button for it in the rich text version. It's on my next post down/

GCS Gaming Customs

Spoilers? Not sure.

Thats the thing with spray paint. You gotta do a lot of things right (actually follow ALL of the directions) buy expensive stuff, and be very careful. It still tends to mess up for me about 50% of the time even if I do EVERYTHING right, its just random.

Make sure you sand and add lots of clear, I can't tell to much, but it doesn't look like you did to much of either. I gtg right now, but good job on your first paint job :)

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Make sure you sand and add lots of clear, I can't tell to much, but it doesn't look like you did to much of either. I gtg right now, but good job on your first paint job :)
Lol, I actually added a ton of clear coat, that was the one thing I made sure not to **** up on. The thing I really ****ed up on was the humidity.

Nice controllers Terry! Looks sexy!
Thanks.

Use »collapse«.
Thanks mate, I'll be sure to remember.

Update:
I got around to finding my camera. :D I wish it wasn't so damn hard to take a non-shaky picture, this camera sucks ****; but at least I got it for free. :falconmelee:

Here are the pictures I took when I painted it
[collapse=Painting the Fabulous Falcon]

[/collapse]
and
[collapse=Current Fabulous Falcon]

[/collapse]

GCS Gaming Customs

Looks like humidity and adhesion were not on your side. Better luck next time! Its not at easy as it seems :glare:

Again, 10% off all controllers on my site! I hope to have a few wii ccps and extra stick modification kits up in the next few days.

I hope every1 is enjoying their Summer! I hope that you can find something you like (controllers or parts) on the site and on this thread.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
So I was thinking since my hands sweat so much that I could mod my controller handles to have fans in them so that they keep my hands dry.
It really wouldn't be hard, I've already found fans that I'm pretty sure will fit and all I would have to do is take out the rumble packs and solder the fans to the same points you'd solder LED's into. Maybe use spacers on the fans to make sure they don't move around.
I'd want to make the holes concave so they don't hurt and I'd also want to have holes in the back for intake. A switch would also be a good idea but I wouldn't want it to look bad.

If I had a job or more money I'd order them right now lol, the only money I have is being saved for muh monthlies.

GCS Gaming Customs

I don't think it will work on a painted controller, since I would have to strip all of the paint from the handles to get the smooth, non absorbent surface I'm talking about. Sorry bro, but it'll have to wait until we have the fan handles (not a bad idea, terryj)

GCS Gaming Customs

Haha awkward... If u already have a controller, just hit it with anything from anywhere from 150-500 grit and use that around family if you want

Kadano

Magical Express
Does anyone here have experience on button relocation? I’d like to make a controller with one or two buttons for every finger except the thumbs.

GCS Gaming Customs

Nope. I have no idea. That has to do with sautering. Try to talk to some of the people under the "how to paint your controller" thread under brawl general discussion... they might know a thing or two about it.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Does anyone here have experience on button relocation? I’d like to make a controller with one or two buttons for every finger except the thumbs.
Like.. A perrrfect controller? I've dreamt of such a magical controller. A button for each finger from the pinky to the middle, two triggers for the index and two sticks, one for each thumb. With all current day controllers you have to take your thumb off of a stick to hit a button on their respective sides which I find stupid as hell.

On topic..
I've never made one but I've looked it up before. It shouldn't be hard, you'd need to drill perfectly sized holes for the new buttons or you might be able to use a washer if the hole isn't the right size. A lot of people make button relocation mods for 360 controllers so that'd be where to look for more info on it since I'd assume it's pretty much the same thing.

On another note, I've always wanted to make a Gamecube Arcade Stick. It would be pretty much the same thing as relocating the buttons just with different housing. The stick might have to use some type board to convert the signal from new stick to old stick (idfk) the potentiometer or it could just be soldered directly into the same points as the old stick (again not sure). I think I saw a thread before that talked about this and had concept images.

Kadano

Magical Express
Like.. A perrrfect controller? I've dreamt of such a magical controller. A button for each finger from the pinky to the middle, two triggers for the index and two sticks, one for each thumb. With all current day controllers you have to take your thumb off of a stick to hit a button on their respective sides which I find stupid as hell.
My sentiments exactly. =)
I’m thinking of carving a shell out of wood and inserting the GCC mainboard there. I don’t think the GCC’s short handles have enough room for 3 additional buttons and they are too short for non-Asian hands anyway.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
My sentiments exactly. =)
I’m thinking of carving a shell out of wood and inserting the GCC mainboard there. I don’t think the GCC’s short handles have enough room for 3 additional buttons and they are too short for non-Asian hands anyway.
I feel like they would fit in a normal controller, but who wouldn't want to play with an all-wood controller? That sounds so damn sexy. (3D Printer anyone?)

You can get pretty small buttons. I'd try to find some that my fingers would completely cover; the clicky kind, not the membrane kind. I'm sure you could find some.

Walk into a tourney with that thing. They wont even question it, just stare in wonder...
My first problem with it would be if it had an macros built into it. The thing with custom controllers is you can't really know unless you built the thing. Obviously, it'd take a LOT of god damn work, but you never know. Another thing is switching to it. I've tried to switch to claw style before and that alone is really hard to do after sooo many years of playing with a GCC normally.

If I did see one though, I'd be so jelly. Especially if they can use it well.

GCS Gaming Customs

As appealing as this sounds to me, I don't think I could pull anything mods like this off. I really need to get into this stuff tho, its a whole nother game...
It would be pretty sweet to literally have your own controller, I think people would pay unheard of amounts of money just to get something like that... You guys should really try this out, maybe get some tips from some of the guys over in those console building forums. I'd love to see something like this actually made!

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
As appealing as this sounds to me, I don't think I could pull anything mods like this off. I really need to get into this stuff tho, its a whole nother game...
Fine point soldering is pretty easy to learn and plus it looks sexy on a resume. (says the guy who can't get a job lol) Really though all it takes is some time and practice, I'm sure you could do it.

It would be pretty sweet to literally have your own controller, I think people would pay unheard of amounts of money just to get something like that... You guys should really try this out, maybe get some tips from some of the guys over in those console building forums. I'd love to see something like this actually made!
I have lots of time, but no money lol. I'd love to make cool controller mods and sell them but I don't have the resources to start doing something like that.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I checked out your website, and the main thing killing my interest is that you've apparently removed the springs from all your controllers. Will you post options for Melee controllers, instead of just ones customized for Brawl?

I would personally want both rumble and springs, but the custom sticks and handles sound appealing.

GCS Gaming Customs

TerryJ

Hey, we could maybe work something out where you can mod my controllers that I send to you and I will pay you... how about that?

A lot of people ask me to mod stuff, but I really don't know how or have ppl to teach me (plus, not a lot of motivation or pride that I could do it :() . It would be pretty cool to form sorta a team, where I can send you controllers to mod (ex. leds) with the leds, then you could fulfill customer orders. I could even send you some junk controllers that I get for you to mod, if you want, for like REALLY cheap.

What do you think?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shadic, the reason why it is difficult right now is because the trigger modifications rely so much on the player, there is not a universal way to do a melee controller, mainly due to the triggers. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I planned to do this but it sorta slipped past me, I could make a cheaper controller that involves less mods for melee players... However, there is more to it that the average player may not understand.

The player will need to be able to tell me which trigger they light shield with so I can remove the other trigger spring (you have to have a trigger spring to light shield) then, I need them to use the removed trigger for as many other uses as possible to gain maximum effectiveness, which requires a lot of adaptation (its pretty hard to change which triggers you use) and I must strongly recommend that the use the removed trigger spring trigger to do a full shield, so they do not have to fully compress the trigger to perform the action.

Its sorta hard for newbies to understand, thats why I've been avoiding it. However, I think that I can work this out, Ill try to make some sort of Melee ready controller for the community, and explain the trigger deal.

Otter, all it means is that they are "Ready" for brawl use, specifically made for brawl use. Again, Ill work on getting some melee ready controllers up over the next few days.

Thanks every1 for the comments/advice! I appreciate it! Any advice for a different sort of name for these customized controllers so ppl aren't as confused??

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
TerryJ

Hey, we could maybe work something out where you can mod my controllers that I send to you and I will pay you... how about that?

A lot of people ask me to mod stuff, but I really don't know how or have ppl to teach me (plus, not a lot of motivation or pride that I could do it :() . It would be pretty cool to form sorta a team, where I can send you controllers to mod (ex. leds) with the leds, then you could fulfill customer orders. I could even send you some junk controllers that I get for you to mod, if you want, for like REALLY cheap.

What do you think?
I'd love to do that! I'd have to get a new soldering iron but that's not hard, I've still got solder somewhere in one of my backpacks (I moved a couple months ago).
Do you have Skype or something? PM me with a way to contact you.

On the topic of L/R buttons, not shown in my pictures are the L buttons, I've removed the spring for them and I only play Melee. I use R for Wave Dashing/Landng and L for L-Canceling. I find it much easier to play this way. Also another good way to make clicking the L/R button without removing the spring is by pressing it from the top back ridge where the flat meets the curve. There's less resistance this way (imo).

edit:
Thanks every1 for the comments/advice! I appreciate it! Any advice for a different sort of name for these customized controllers so ppl aren't as confused??
I think just calling them springless shoulder buttons would get the point across, calling them Brawl Ready is a nice term for Marketing or something, but that's only when they know what the association with it is to Brawl.

GCS Gaming Customs

Sounds good. Ill send you a PM with my phone #.

The reason why I don't just call them springless in the title is because they have 4 other modifications. That really takes away from the other features of the controller. Maybe "Customize your own Modded GameCube Controller for Super Smash Bros Brawl" Any other ideas?

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Sounds good. Ill send you a PM with my phone #.

The reason why I don't just call them springless in the title is because they have 4 other modifications. That really takes away from the other features of the controller. Maybe "Customize your own Modded GameCube Controller for Super Smash Bros Brawl" Any other ideas?
That sounds better.

GCS Gaming Customs

Trying out this new dye stuff for controllers. I hope it is more durable! Looks pretty promising...

But, paint is really not made for human abuse, so its going to be hard to find the perfect mix...

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Trying out this new dye stuff for controllers. I hope it is more durable! Looks pretty promising...

But, paint is really not made for human abuse, so its going to be hard to find the perfect mix...
What sort of dye?

Top Bottom