• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom GameCube Controllers

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Well, Im trying a new adhesion promoter first, then using regular krylon fusion on that to see if it sticks better. Then , in a few days, Im going to try duplicolor's vinyl and plastic dye on a few controllers.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I understand why you remove the springs, I'm just saying that it's not ideal for Melee controllers, and is extra work on your end for something that.. Makes me not want to buy what you're selling. :p

B.W.

Smash Champion
I may sand my handles. I never thought of trying that

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

GCS Gaming Customs

Shadic, lemme explain why discounts are not as easy as it sounds to implement in an online store like storenvy

first, the whole shield thing...
In theory, it is a better design for melee controllers, since you can press the one trigger with removed springs faster for general trigger techniques and regular shielding. Even if you somehow manage to just lightly tap the trigger to perform ALL of your techniques, you still gain the advantage from the removed trigger spring to get the regular shield up faster. It even says in the description you can choose to not order specific modifications, and you can choose your controller shells.

Lemme ask you this : How am I supposed to make products that you can take money off by only getting certain mods? There are NO options on storenvy that allow me to "take off x amount of dollars if you only get 3 of the 4 mods", even if you pay monthly for extra discounting options.

I would have to do have a customer pay full price then I would have to give them money back on their PayPal.
The ONLY thing I can think of is to make another controller option that only gets you 2 of the four mods for, lets say $23.99.

Thats why this isn't as easy as it could be. I just don't have the option, and people may not trust me to give them the money back after they pay (even tho I would NEVER do something like this) and plus, we would have to deal with the extra conversation that many customers don't want to dedicate time to and I would have to lengthen the description to include x amount off when you only order x amount of modifications.

Which would confuse even MORE people.

I hope you understand why this does not work so well for me or for you. If you really want to buy a controller with just those modifications for a cheaper price, I guess we can set something up over Smashboards.

Please let me know what I can do to make this work better for people like you, I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from, but how can I implement this on my site without confusing every1 (I pbly confused every1 with just this post :glare:)

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Can you have two categories - "Melee Ready" and "Brawl Ready" ?

The main difference would be the springs removed. No need to change the price, either.

GCS Gaming Customs

I guess I could do that : /
But it really doesn't make sense, the only reason to doing something like this is to explain thoroughly the advantage of having just one removed trigger spring, which there IS an advantage. And it would probably confuse the average consumer :ohwell: (I'd also make it pbly a dollar less)
Sooo, any other suggestions to help me out??

Edit : Also, how do you do a survey? I want to see whether the name "super smash bros brawl ready" or "for super smash bros brawl" is more appealing to ppl

GCS Gaming Customs

I'll be posting more Products very soon, I just need to get the camera working :glare:

Til then, EVO 2013 is HYPE!!! I should dedicate a controller to Evo :rolleyes:

B.W.

Smash Champion
It'd have to be dedicated to Melee play though because if you make one for Brawl then wtf is wrong with you, all things considered.

brianorwhatever

Smash Rookie
Hey all, so I just got my tri-wing screwdriver in the mail yesterday, and I've done a little tinkering with my favorite controller. Thus far I've moved the control stick over into the space the c-stick usually occupies, and replaced the control stick with a stick from a ps2 controller. My only problem is that now whenever I move the ps2 stick in any direction far enough it stay stuck in that position (see the attached photo). I'm wondering now if ps3 sticks fit better with gamecube controllers, or should I just spring for some sandpaper to file down the shell so the stick moves more freely?

Attachments

GCS Gaming Customs

PS3 stick fits better, sanding works, don't be afraid to "oversand" (use low grit paper unless you want to be sitting there for 2 hours) because opening it up again is sort of a pain :ohwell: (been there, done that) and of course, don't sand it to the point that the plastic cap crumbles. General use in game also helps a lot after sanding, or just move around the stick a lot when you aren't playing. I would opt for a PS3 stick if for some reason it wont sand down enough.

brianorwhatever

Smash Rookie
Great thanks, my housemates have a ps3 controller that won't hold a charge anymore so hopefully they'll let me pull a stick out of that.

Also: do you have any experience with third party controllers like these? I know that for most purposes they're just a waste of money, but if I were to, say, want to use the shell of one of these controllers, could I take the "guts" out of my first party controller and place them in one of these? Or if I wanted to make a "two-tone" controller using the top half of my first prty controller's shell and the bottom half of one of these controllers' (or vice-versa) are the dimensions/ screw placement similar enough to allow it?

GCS Gaming Customs

brianorwhatever : Sounds good, I can also sell you painted shells (I have red ones in stock right now)!

I will be gone for the next week in NYC. I hope to update my website before I leave with a multitude of new products, including the requested GameCube Controller for ssbm (sorry for the delay, I hope you guys understand my issue).

Thanks for all the support you guys have provided, there is no way I could be doing this actively without the smash community!

GCS Gaming Customs

About to leave very soon.

I have Red Krylon Satin shells (no clear, should affect durability, however) and may actually be more durable than the ones with clear. I have finally found a paint that (I think) has superior durability. I have Red satin shells painted with duplicolors vinyl and fabric spray. It looks and feels factory produced for just +$2.50 a shell.

I am taking pics right now, there is A LOT of stuff I want to add, sorry for the delay.

GCS Gaming Customs

Ill say, figuring out how to hook a gamecube up into the car was pbly the best idea I ever had...

Look on the site tonight, it will be updated by then. I plan on adding about 20 items tonight at the hotel.

GCS Gaming Customs

Updates :

I am still away until the 21st. I will ship finished orders and work on other orders on the 22nd.

The Store has been updated, looks a bit cooler. Check out the new layout and the products if you haven't already.

I will try to add a few more customization options by the end of the month to the site. I should have a full GameCube controller customization product with prices listed for each mod sometime in August. I need to make sure that I have the whole modding thing set up and have some pictures of LED controllers and such before I release the product (shoutouts to TerryJ for helping me out on this)

Lemme know if any of you have any comments you would like to share about either the site or the thread. Thanks for being awesome, I hope to see some of you at the tourney in Raleigh (shoutouts to NC gamers)

GCS Gaming Customs

More Updates :

Im back! I will ship orders Tuesday for those of you that have your order complete. I will be working on all custom paint jobs for the rest of the Summer diligently, the weather looks promising!

The Store has been updated (yet again) and features some new low prices on the Wii CCP's, check em out if interested!

Is anyone interested in purchasing a satin red controller? (something like this)

I did not use clear, however. Here is a breakdown of advantages/disadvantage of both for you all to see, for future and current reference :

Clear : More "weather" (oil from your hands) resistant, paint won't chip quite as easy if it is bumped on something hard, smoother, SHINIER :colorful:
Stickier, gets scratches and dents easier, gets dirty and stained easier (from wear, the clear coat is damaged, not the color, so it does not chip)
Satin/No clear : Looks more "factory produced" and doesn't get a dirty appearance as easy, rougher feel, but not AS sticky (preference), recoatable, does not dent as easy
Chips a little bit easier, rougher feel (preference), oils from hands gets to paint faster, needs to be kept a bit cleaner
Vinyl Dye : Looks more "factory produced", A satin paint that sinks into the plastic, and only chips when the controller's original plastic is chipped, will scratch off if there is friction tho (buttons don't work), rougher factory feel, much more durable.

Personally, I like it better, let me know what you guys think.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
I really like these controllers, they look really high quality and factory made, I think I'm gonna get one of these when I get the money

GCS Gaming Customs

Updated the site to a different format.

Thanks for the feedback, always appreciate when someone takes the time to say something about a controller.

I will probably update the site with more products and release the preorders for the custom controllers in about a week. Let me know if any of you have any other comments or suggestions!

GCS Gaming Customs

Hey yo smashers,

For any of you who have a nintendoage account (another forum site, more collecting based) It would be :starman: AWESOME :starman: if you could help me further populate my thread. It seems like you have to carry every single thread you make (bump the living hell out of it) over there and noone cares to really respond, so I really need some help from you all.

If you could, feel free to ask me any questions and provide comments over here, if you have an account: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=97273&StartRow=1#bottom

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I went ahead and bought more LED's. This time I bought 10 Slow Changing RGB LED's and 27 OHM 1/8W resistors. The order should be here on Saturday or so. The previous LED's that I bought were green but they weren't very bright and when I put in three it was barely lit. The new LED's change colors, use less energy and I should be able to fit three in there and be brighter than the two green ones.

[collapse=Here's a picture of the controller with the Green LED's that are going to change]

[/collapse]
I came home on Adderal after a tournament on Saturday so I decided to focus on getting both the LED controller and my Fan controller done. The Fan mod actually works pretty well but I'm sure I could make it better. The current fan that is in my controller is 25mmX25mmX10mm and has 3.5 CF/M airflow. I only put holes on the left handle for intake and on the back I made a slit and a hole for exhaust. The current fan gives a nice amount of air and isn't too loud (not any louder than a room of clacking controllers anyways) but I only have holes on the left side of the controller since if both sides had them it wouldn't be much air at all. Even then, this isn't as much air as I'd like.

[collapse=Intake]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Exhaust]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Fan]

[/collapse]
I drilled the holes with a metal pointed screw driver thing, I'm not sure what the tool is actually for but it works. I then cut the excess with a razor blade and made it smooth. The fan normally will not fit with the unmodified rumble housing so I cut off most of it by using a hot soldering iron and razor blade. Make sure to leave the + thing there otherwise it will move around.
[collapse=Guts]

[/collapse]
I ordered a new fan that's 35x35x10 and has 6.5 CF/M which I'm pretty sure will fit. I could make the intake and exhaust much more neat by using a dremel tool (which I don't have) and making slits aiming down (heat raises) instead of holes and sanding it down so it's smooth. I really need to repaint my controller lol..

I would be happy to do this for others if they payed me for the parts and service, otherwise have your own crack at it.

EDIT: WOOO! 100th post. I can't wait to see what my first thread will look like.

One more edit:
I have been playing a LOT of Melee lately and as you can tell I'm very rough on my controller. The stick that I put in my controller specifically didn't have a rubber top on a plastic top. The entire thing was plastic which I liked because I sweat and my fingers easily rub off of rubber. The top finally broke off and was pretty sharp for a while but after playing with it for a couple days my thumb callused over. When I got home I took a metal file to it and made it a nub. I call it the Nipple. I find it much easier to play with it since there's no rubber and I can be pretty precise with it.

[collapse=THE NIPPLE]

[/collapse]

GCS Gaming Customs

I approve of the nipple.

Also, for the LED's can't you put one where the rumble pack is that shines all the time (or just when it rumbles)? If so, I don't think it would be a bad controller to sell.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Nice, but its Called a spoiler
I'm on it.

I approve of the nipple.
Falcon is all about getting Nipples.

Also, for the LED's can't you put one where the rumble pack is that shines all the time (or just when it rumbles)? If so, I don't think it would be a bad controller to sell.
Yeah I could do that, but these green LED's just aren't anywhere near as bright as I want them to be. I'm going to see if I can get away with using three in the controller so there's one in each handle and one in the rumble area.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, how much would you charge to do this for me? I really only want the fan/intake/exhaust since I don't have a controller that I would be able to see LEDs in.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Out of curiosity, how much would you charge to do this for me? I really only want the fan/intake/exhaust since I don't have a controller that I would be able to see LEDs in.
I'm not sure how much I'd charge for it actaully. Obviously you will have to pay for the parts but the job takes me a couple hours of work. I think $20 (not including parts) would be fair, what do you think? With $20 I can keep going to tournaments without a job. :falconmelee:

Yeah, I'd like to know that, too. Having a fan in the controller sounds really cool. Would there be a way to have a small switch to turn it on and off?
It would be pretty easy to install a switch or button onto the controller, I have not done it to mine yet but I don't really care for one personally. I'll probably do it to my own eventually.

Also, for future reference if you reply to me please use quotes, I really like having notifications. :)

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how much I'd charge for it actaully. Obviously you will have to pay for the parts but the job takes me a couple hours of work. I think $20 (not including parts) would be fair, what do you think? With $20 I can keep going to tournaments without a job. :falconmelee:

It would be pretty easy to install a switch or button onto the controller, I have not done it to mine yet but I don't really care for one personally. I'll probably do it to my own eventually.

Also, for future reference if you reply to me please use quotes, I really like having notifications. :)
That seems like a fair price. I have to look up prices for parts AND I would have to see if I can afford it/silly mailing stuff.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
That seems like a fair price. I have to look up prices for parts AND I would have to see if I can afford it/silly mailing stuff.
I've linked to every part that I used in my post for those who want to do it their self. I haven't tried the new fan yet but that should arrive Saturday or so.

The current fan I'm using was $12 I think after shipping and the button or switch should be less than a dollar. For the fan mod I don't need anything extra other than solder and electrical tape.

GCS Gaming Customs

It would be cool to sell these sometime soon on my own site. Whenever you want to get a project going together or if I need your assistance for modding, I know who to go too :falconmelee:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
It would be cool to sell these sometime soon on my own site. Whenever you want to get a project going together or if I need your assistance for modding, I know who to go to. :falconmelee:
That'd be cool, plus it would help me refine the process. I still need to get a dremel though so I'll be sticking to holes unless someone asks different of me. In the future I'd like to make perfectly sized slits with a mesh on the inside to protect from dust but I don't have the tools for that yet. :falconmelee:

GCS Gaming Customs

Definitely. Plus, it always helps to have the extra advertising of the developed custom gamecube controller thread (Smashers, we do this for you ;)) and the ability for us as partners to complete a very wide variety of orders when we work together.

I look forward to making some f*cking awesome controllers.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Definitely. Plus, it always helps to have the extra advertising of the developed custom gamecube controller thread (Smashers, we do this for you ;)) and the ability for us as partners to complete a very wide variety of orders when we work together.

I look forward to making some f*cking awesome controllers.
By the way, we should update the OP with detailed information on what we can do/have done. People hate following links to find what they're looking for so why not just make this thread the one stop shop and then link elsewhere for parts and such.

GCS Gaming Customs

Wait, "OP"? (sorry if I sound stupid for not getting this, relatively new onto forums)

And do you mean selling the completely customize your own gamecube controllers on here instead of the site?

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Wait, "OP"? (sorry if I sound stupid for not getting this)
OP means Original Post(er). The first post made in this thread is considered the OP. It's a forum/BBS term.

And do you mean selling the completely customize your own gamecube controllers on here instead of the site?
I mean we should have both this thread and the website updated with all of the information. There needs to be a section for painted controllers and a separate section for modded controllers. We then can link to the web store for pre-made controllers and take actual requests through this thread. And of course we would link to/describe how to do painting/modding yourself for those who don't want to pay us to do it. This will attract more people to the community and allow us be able to sell our things.

I could come up with some nice formatting for the OP if you'd like unless you want to do it yourself.

GCS Gaming Customs

When you refer to separate sections, do you mean just separate sections on the site (I can make these, but I would like to have a sufficient amount of photos and a thorough description of each mod and to what extent we can do them)?
Are you saying we should also make a separate thread based just on the "do it yourself", use an existing thread, or put the descriptions on this one?
Yea, it would be awesome if you could help out with the OP formatting, I'll be sure to see that it fits all of our needs and of course, includes all of the customization features we offer.

Top Bottom