• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Curse you, wasted movements!

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Hey there Ike boards. New Ike player here, play Shiek as a main, Ike as a secondary. I've got a slight problem, y'see. All of my movements are complete wastes of time when I go against people. For intance: Going against my local rival in a friendly. He mains Toon Link. A nasty habit I picked up from fighting him was constantly having my finger pressed hard on the R-button, from when I constantly played Shiek. Ike's dodges are shorter than Shiek's, and he has an easier time predicting where I'm going to land. Thus: I get *****.

Another wasted movement? My constant urge to use that precious Z button. I may have to get it taken off of my GC controller, because I just love grabbing. When I could be doing something better, and just as fast as an AAA combo, I grab and Fthrow instead. It's not about the damage it does, it's because it looks flashy. I need to watch that, I know, but sometimes my urge to have fun takes over my urge to win.

Any ways I can break these HORRID habits of mine? I'd rather not be worst in LA for very long. :p

Thanks for any help submitted.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Practice more with Ike so you can get used to him more (including being addicted to throws and his dodges). Than start practicing with Ike but try to stop the grabbing and dodging. If you still have this problem, than Ike probably isn't a good character for you.

Redson

Smash Journeyman
I just started out with him, and my Ike game is arguably better than my Shiek game already. He was really easy for me to pick up, but I think if I can get rid of my dodging/useless throwing addiction, I'll do hella better.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
^I honestly doubt that.

My friends that I play against (competitively) tell me the same thing all the time. Fact is, they just don't know how to play against my Ike. I'm quite positive you're better with your Shiek than Ike. Ike will always be a hard match for anyone who does not understand his abilities.

Mario is my primary main, while Ike and Link are my secondaries. All three of them have different playstyles (Mario = Adaptive. Ike = Punisher/Spacer. Link = Aggressive Defensive). Each one requires a different mindset to be good with them.

You simply just have to apply a different mindset whenever you're using Ike.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
What HM said. I have Sheik/Zelda and Tlink as my secondaries. For each one of them, I have to play completely different. (Ike -> Punisher/Spacer/Spiking, Sheik/Zelda -> Combos/Gimping, Tlink -> Wall of Projectiles/Fluid Motions) I went as far as to have a unique control set up for when I play Ike, and a slightly altered one for Sheik/Zelda and Tlink. It does take a while to get used to, so keep practicing. Trying using Jab Canceling in training mode with Ike to help ground that down in your mind. Once your brain and muscles remember when to do what with which character, switching around them will come naturally.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Agreed with all that's been said so far. If you like to use throws a lot, I believe (don't hold me to this, I don't play good human players often, and especially not as Ike...) that at low percentages you can do Fthrow to Ftilt. Probably not too terribly useful, but if you like that Fthrow it can be nice.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Yo Redson, buddy, what a coinsidense finding you here, if you want to beat me learn to get the instinct for countering and dodging like I did with marth back in Meele. You'll find it really helps. If you want to maintain your higher status over me, learn to master you counter-dodging skills.

Then again it could just my freak of nature 6th sinse that I never listen to then get owned when it's right. But if that's not the case, learn to counter and dodge, though since Ike is slow, I would expect that quick draw fleeing would be a suffice measure, wouldn't you think guys?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
it works to flee, but normally you don't want to run away... it means getting spammed by projectiles again.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I dont play Toon Link all the time, Besides, due to my carelessness and lack of judgement, he should be able to fend off my Pokemon Trainer and my Marth game.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
I play flashy xD love it

I had this problem in melee switching mains from Mario to Roy, I always had the urge to do fun upair combos when roy can't do them too well (unless there is a platform) so it's just practice

Redson

Smash Journeyman
I dont play Toon Link all the time, Besides, due to my carelessness and lack of judgement, he should be able to fend off my Pokemon Trainer and my Marth game.
Why are you here? Leave me alone, stop stalking me. D: Back to the Toon Link Boards!

But otherwise, thanks for the advice guys. By playing him more and more, I'm sure I'll break out of my constant NEED to grab people (I wonder what this says about me as a person...) I think I need to work on my counter timing, but I don't really see too many people using counters much anyway. I think I need moar A-Spam. Always needs moar a-spam.

Playing flashy is fun, but right now, I'm playing to win.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
But otherwise, thanks for the advice guys. By playing him more and more, I'm sure I'll break out of my constant NEED to grab people (I wonder what this says about me as a person...) I think I need to work on my counter timing, but I don't really see too many people using counters much anyway. I think I need moar A-Spam. Always needs moar a-spam.

Playing flashy is fun, but right now, I'm playing to win.
The reason you don't see much counter is because Ike's version of it is fairly slow and therefore requires better timing/more luck. Also, it leaves you open for quite a while if you don't get attacked during the counter's invincible/counter attack window (I hope you get what I'm saying...). Personally, I think it's an underrated move, but then, I'm not an Ike main... However, if you do use it, be careful, because it can leave you wide open if done incorrectly.

D

Deleted member

shield grab to forward throw to great aether @ 40% works well.

ADHD

Smash Hero
If you like grabbing try out dedede or the ice climbers. The best chaingrabbers in brawl!

Redson

Smash Journeyman
It's not that I like grabbing, it's that it looks awesome when Ike does it. Have you SEEN his effing F-throw? He just...KICKS THEM! It's like a split second thing, you don't even realize you've been kicked. It just LOOKS badass, isn't really.

Also, Umbreon. Thanks for the advice, Imma give that a try.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
But bthrow is an EVEN COOLER kick. He takes his time with the opponent theno says, "You have just been kicked" then kicks him away.

Rimmer

Smash Rookie
The reason you don't see much counter is because Ike's version of it is fairly slow and therefore requires better timing/more luck. Also, it leaves you open for quite a while if you don't get attacked during the counter's invincible/counter attack window (I hope you get what I'm saying...). Personally, I think it's an underrated move, but then, I'm not an Ike main... However, if you do use it, be careful, because it can leave you wide open if done incorrectly.
If you see someone charging an Fsmash expecting you to run into it you can jump at them while countering for a badass KO.

Top Bottom