• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crossdressing in public

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
That's the point I was trying to make, even with no discrimination some people aren't going to want to talk about it and so, there will always be closeted gays.
And the point you seem to not understand is that there still wouldn't be anywhere near as many closeted homosexuals today had it not been for the oppression brought about by the likes of religion. Let's assume homosexuality wasn't seen as a taboo in any society: Closeted gays would be as arbitrary as "closeted" straights; hiding their sexuality not out of shame of being gay or straight, but just feeling awkward about sex in general, so there goes the whole of your point.

Braydon

Smash Ace
My point wasn't that oppression had no effect on the number of closeted gays, my point was there will always be closeted gays on some level, and I'm fairly sure it would still be a significant amount.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
My point wasn't that oppression had no effect on the number of closeted gays, my point was there will always be closeted gays on some level, and I'm fairly sure it would still be a significant amount.
You say that as if the number of closeted straight people is also significant when it clearly isn't. Now allow me to repeat my point: If homosexuality was never seen as a taboo, or as some abominable form of existence, anyone who is closeted about sex would only be closeted because of sex; their sexual orientation would be purely arbitrary, meaning it wouldn't be their "gayness" they'd be ashamed of, but the fact that perhaps they're terrible partners in bed or other matters that does not pertain to their sexual preference.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Your analogies don't match, though.
You think a man dressing like a woman and exposing the public to his idiotic, borderline sick fetish is in any way analogous to a choice in colors [in your own bedroom, no less] or a productive career choice?
Just goes to show how effed up your moral compass is if these things are comparable in your mind.

The rest of your are employing pitifully emotional arguments. The fact is, we don't need to see it. If you have a bizarre fetish for doing it, keep it within your own bedroom.
Just like how I wouldn't want to see, in the street: a woman with her twins hanging out, a man in a tight speedo showing his bulge, a disgusting feathery, leathery... thing from the pride parade, a man wearing a fursuit or whatever, etc.

I'm not particularly surprised to see this disgusting degeneracy here, obviously, especially since I assume you're all 90s/millennials. But ask yourself: do I really want to live in a world where everyone enacts his inappropriate fetishes in public? Do I really want to go out to the park with my children and have them exposed to all kinds of bizarre fetishes because everyone wants to "express themselves"? Do I want to walk with them past the guy in tight leather around his bulge, or some "transfox"or whatever barking in public with his little fox ears?

No.

It's clearly just a cry for attention, like your generation knows to do too well.

And don't even get me started on ********.
And what precisely is sexual about cross-dressing?

Braydon

Smash Ace
And what precisely is sexual about cross-dressing?
Now this is just silly. You don't honestly think crossdressing has nothing to do with sex, I mean they're dressed like the opposite sex, it's kind of in the definition.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Now this is just silly. You don't honestly think crossdressing has nothing to do with sex, I mean they're dressed like the opposite sex, it's kind of in the definition.
That's like saying something is related to fingernails when I'm talking about nails in relation to carpentry, they're entirely different meanings of the word.

The question is what cross-dressing has to do with copulation not which genitalia you sport.

Braydon

Smash Ace
That's like saying something is related to fingernails when I'm talking about nails in relation to carpentry, they're entirely different meanings of the word.

The question is what cross-dressing has to do with copulation not which genitalia you sport.
No it's not, that's a false analogy. Nails and fingernails have no relation, sex and gender do. Actually, sex has a lot to do with gender...

NNID
Budget_Player
No it's not, that's a false analogy. Nails and fingernails have no relation, sex and gender do. Actually, sex has a lot to do with gender...
Near is talking about cross-dressing as a fetishized act. A "sex act", as in something someone does for sexual gratification.

Adumbrodeus is rightfully pointing out that crossdressing often has nothing to do with sexual gratification, and is simply a matter of "I like these clothes".

The nails/nails analogy is meh, because the fact is that way too many people still associate sex with gender by default, but the point stands.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Actually nails and nails are related in that their functionality is based on their point, but reguardless of whether they're related they're separate concepts, just like sex and sex.

Are you seriously arguing that noting down in a medical chart that somebody is biologically male is somehow part of sexual intercourse?

Last edited:

Lysergic

Smash Cadet
The Bible says two men ought not sleep together.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The Bible says two men ought not sleep together.
That's not what this debate is about. Mind you, using the bible in a debate is akin to using "The Lord of the Rings" in the same debate - Mordor existed in what is now New Orleans, but I digress. This debate is about whether cross dressing is bad or not and why.

Lysergic

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
That's not what this debate is about. Mind you, using the bible in a debate is akin to using "The Lord of the Rings" in the same debate - Mordor existed in what is now New Orleans, but I digress. This debate is about whether cross dressing is bad or not and why.
I live in New Orleans and I've never heard of this "Mordor" that you speak of. In fact I don't even know what a "Lord of the Ring" is but I do know that Jesus died for our sins and his heavenly Father stated (in the Bible) that boys shouldn't wear girl's clothing. The sooner you realize that the sooner you can go get baptized to cleanse the vermin from your infested mind of Satan.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I live in New Orleans and I've never heard of this "Mordor" that you speak of. In fact I don't even know what a "Lord of the Ring" is but I do know that Jesus died for our sins and his heavenly Father stated (in the Bible) that boys shouldn't wear girl's clothing. The sooner you realize that the sooner you can go get baptized to cleanse the vermin from your infested mind of Satan.
If you want to make that case, you'd have to do the following things:

A) Demonstrate that the Holy Bible is an actual authority on things;
B) Demonstrate why anyone should deem the Holy Bible a trustworthy authority, as opposed to other sources and standards;
C) Demonstrate what the Holy Bible has to say about crossdressing, and why this scripture states it is (or is not) permissible;
D) Demonstrate why anyone should care what the Holy Bible has to say on the (non)permissibility of cross-dressing.

If you do these things in that order, you may stand a chance of making a decent case for your position. Otherwise, your case currently amounts to "don't crossdress because I say the Bible says so". Which isn't very persuasive at all.

Good luck!

NNID
Budget_Player
If you don't listen to the Bible then you'll go to..
I love how casually people throw this kind of threat around.

Let me ask you something, Lysergic. Do you believe that I deserve this? Do you believe that a just punishment for, I dunno, smoking the odd meat cigar is eternal torture? Do you feel that this is correct and justified?

Lysergic

Smash Cadet
I love how casually people throw this kind of threat around.

Let me ask you something, Lysergic. Do you believe that I deserve this? Do you believe that a just punishment for, I dunno, smoking the odd meat cigar is eternal torture? Do you feel that this is correct and justified?
... Yes.

Sehnsucht I will provide all of that information before the days over for those questions/request but I'm at work right now. Will get back to you on that.

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
...Wow, barely a moment's hesitation there. So for an act that harms no-one, I'm to be tortured forever, and you see nothing wrong with this.

Congratulations, you are morally bankrupt. I don't think you've thought very hard about what you're saying, because any decent human being would be horrified at this thought. I mean, if I was dragged into some underground cell and tortured to death because of something as simple as homosexual activity, I think any decent human being could point out that that would be horrifying, unjustified, and downright sadistic. What changes in this hypothetical when we change it to hell? Well, one thing: that torture I just describe? It ends. Hell goes on forever.

The fact that you can call this morally justified is simply disgusting. The fact that you can make a post like this:

If you don't listen to the Bible then you'll go to..
And not get a warning for it is ridiculous. Like, really? I understand that it's your personally held religious conviction, but if I said something like "I'd be okay with someone kidnapping you and torturing you for the rest of your natural life", there would be no excusing it, because that's sick and disturbing and marks me as a complete sociopath. It's also not something I, or any other rational human being, would say, because when it comes to non-religious beliefs, people don't tend to have these amazing blind spots for things that are so clearly psycho.

Lysergic

Smash Cadet
...Wow, barely a moment's hesitation there. So for an act that harms no-one, I'm to be tortured forever, and you see nothing wrong with this.

Congratulations, you are morally bankrupt. I don't think you've thought very hard about what you're saying, because any decent human being would be horrified at this thought. I mean, if I was dragged into some underground cell and tortured to death because of something as simple as homosexual activity, I think any decent human being could point out that that would be horrifying, unjustified, and downright sadistic. What changes in this hypothetical when we change it to hell? Well, one thing: that torture I just describe? It ends. Hell goes on forever.

The fact that you can call this morally justified is simply disgusting. The fact that you can make a post like this:

And not get a warning for it is ridiculous. Like, really? I understand that it's your personally held religious conviction, but if I said something like "I'd be okay with someone kidnapping you and torturing you for the rest of your natural life", there would be no excusing it, because that's sick and disturbing and marks me as a complete sociopath. It's also not something I, or any other rational human being, would say, because when it comes to non-religious beliefs, people don't tend to have these amazing blind spots for things that are so clearly psycho.
Sorry but I don't know what else to tell you. It's your decision and if you want to go against the word of god and SIN then you must suffer the consequences. You've been warned and the Bible is always there to read so I don't know why you seem so surprised. Anyways, back to Sehnsucht.

A) Demonstrate that the Holy Bible is an actual authority on things;
The Holy Bible has been an authority on things for generations. Perhaps we are currently living in a civilization that allows freedom of belief and religion, but organized religion has existed and does exist in the world. Countries based their entire beliefs and ideologies off of the Holy Bible's teachings and morality. It's history and I'll even provide links so you can research it yourself. The Holy Bible has had a huge impact on the perception of human's minds and legal system/norms.

http://genealogyreligion.net/sumerian-spiritualism-the-earliest-organized-religion

B) Demonstrate why anyone should deem the Holy Bible a trustworthy authority, as opposed to other sources and standards;
This ones easy. Because Jesus is the son of god and was born from the virgin Mary. All the things Jesus did is mentioned in the Bible and was observed by our ancestors. It wasn't just made up. It's a scientific FACT. it's history and while you can ignore it because you've never witnessed it doesn't change the fact that it happened. Jesus taught the truths of God's will and the commandments we should follow. He proved God does in fact exist and explained to us what he expected from us. Have you even read the Bible?

C) Demonstrate what the Holy Bible has to say about crossdressing, and why this scripture states it is (or is not) permissible;
Deuteronomy 22:5 states, "A woman shall not wear man's clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman's clothing; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God." Pretty self explanatory. You heard that? You're an abomination to God. Deuteronomy goes more into this concept so I highly recommend reading into it for it provides even more clarity that cross dressing is in fact a SIN.

D) Demonstrate why anyone should care what the Holy Bible has to say on the (non)permissibility of cross-dressing.
Because you will suffer in Hell for all eternity.

Thanks guys! I really hope you guys can come in realization to your sin. Again not trolling just trying to provide some enlightenment to confused young people. If you're ever need some more information or are confused feel free to message me and I'll do my best to answer it through the great word of GOD. Peace and loves guys, later.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Sorry but I don't know what else to tell you. It's your decision and if you want to go against the word of god and SIN then you must suffer the consequences. You've been warned and the Bible is always there to read so I don't know why you seem so surprised. Anyways, back to Sehnsucht.

The Holy Bible has been an authority on things for generations. Perhaps we are currently living in a civilization that allows freedom of belief and religion, but organized religion has existed and does exist in the world. Countries based their entire beliefs and ideologies off of the Holy Bible's teachings and morality. It's history and I'll even provide links so you can research it yourself. The Holy Bible has had a huge impact on the perception of human's minds and legal system/norms.

http://genealogyreligion.net/sumerian-spiritualism-the-earliest-organized-religion

This ones easy. Because Jesus is the son of god and was born from the virgin Mary. All the things Jesus did is mentioned in the Bible and was observed by our ancestors. It wasn't just made up. It's a scientific FACT. it's history and while you can ignore it because you've never witnessed it doesn't change the fact that it happened. Jesus taught the truths of God's will and the commandments we should follow. He proved God does in fact exist and explained to us what he expected from us. Have you even read the Bible?

Deuteronomy 22:5 states, "A woman shall not wear man's clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman's clothing; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God." Pretty self explanatory. You heard that? You're an abomination to God. Deuteronomy goes more into this concept so I highly recommend reading into it for it provides even more clarity that cross dressing is in fact a SIN.

Thanks guys! I really hope you guys can come in realization to your sin. Again not trolling just trying to provide some enlightenment to confused young people. If you're ever need some more information or are confused feel free to message me and I'll do my best to answer it through the great word of GOD. Peace and loves guys, later.
I may as well post this here as well. Mind you, it's an hour long.

With that said, let us assume that this whole heaven and hell thing is true, and there is a god out there who is against anything LGBT or even against heterosexual people dressing in clothes that society sees as being for the opposite sex. Well, Stephen Fry's thoughts in the video below pretty much sums up what I feel.

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
Sorry but I don't know what else to tell you. It's your decision and if you want to go against the word of god and SIN then you must suffer the consequences. You've been warned and the Bible is always there to read so I don't know why you seem so surprised.
What surprises me is how casually you're okay with it. You see, I have no qualms in saying that the god of the bible almost certainly does not exist, and that the hell you're threatening me with doesn't either. And that clearly reframes the discussion - it's not God threatening me with hell... It's you. Which is why I asked "are you okay with this" rather than "Do you think your God is okay with this". Because I don't care what the barbaric deity described in that book holds to be moral or not. I do, however, care what the people around me hold to be moral. The fact that you can easily say, "You're going to be tortured forever and I'm okay with that" indicates that you either haven't considered what you're saying, or have some serious issues with human empathy that you ought to work out.

Again.

You are saying "I am okay with you being tortured forever." That is incredibly ****ed up. You guys want to know the harm religion does? Here you go.

And it gets worse. Is anyone without sin? According to John 1:8, no, nobody is - those who claim to be are deluding themselves. So everyone is going to hell... Unless they repent their sin to Jesus, and believe in God. But here's the thing - I can't believe in god. I don't choose what I believe, any more than I choose what flavors I enjoy or which gender I am attracted to. If I tell you right now, "I believe in God", I would be lying, because I cannot simply choose to believe. I need to be convinced.

So not only do we, in your moral system, have infinite punishment for finite crime, but the only way to escape this infinite punishment is not a choice. Oh, and everyone is a criminal. You don't see anything ****ed up about that? I understand that this is how it is taught in churches around the world, I'm asking you - do you agree with this? If you had to set up the system, would you do it this way?

As Matt Dillahunty put it, "I'm not omniscient and I could come up with a better system while in a drug-induced coma!" And that's not even getting into the whole "salvation" idea, which moves the system from "Horrifying" to "Absurd" - Hitler, if he repented his sins, could go to heaven, but I could not. The only unforgivable sin is skepticism, it seems. Then again, it wouldn't make sense if the only unforgivable sin was genocide - God commands and perpetrates it himself! :rolleyes:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
@ Lysergic Lysergic (and everyone else)

Before I say anything else, this thread's topic concerns the permissibility of crossdressing in public spaces. Discussing Judeo-Christian theology risks derailing the thread. So while I will respond here under collapse tags, I would advise that either we stick to the crossdressing issue specifically, or move discussions of the merits of the Bible to a more appropriate thread.

With that, here's a frankly appalling amount of writing:

[collapse=ON AUTHORITY AND INFLUENCE]
What you relate here does not demonstrate the Bible's authority. It instead demonstrates the prevalence of the Bible's influence. That a thing is influential does not correlate to its authority on matters. In other words, this paragraph does not show why we should trust the Bible; it only show that many people do happen to trust it, past and present.

I also notice that this is exclusionary, or at least, neglects to note the influence of other sacred texts and institutions. Islam -- and its central text, the Qu'ran -- has hugely shaped the culture and society of Middle Eastern nations (and also has a secondary, but nonetheless strong foothold in Africa and Indonesia). In East Asia, religions like Hinduism and Buddhism (via their texts and traditions) are immense shapers of culture. In places like China and Japan, Confucianism and Taosim and Shintoism permeate the social sphere.

Of course, the Abrahamic religions do have the most notable influence. Christianity has steered the course of (Western) European history -- and thanks to colonialism, the Western World. Though colonialism has also spread Judeo-Christian to Africa, Russia, Commonwealth nations (like Australia), and other minor footholds in the world.

Given all this it's fair to say that few texts have been so influential in the course of our history than the Old Testamant (or the Torah, in Judaism) and the New Testament. Islam is similarly immense, but the Qu'ran came about much later, and is rooted in Judeo-Christianity, so we can say the OT-NT combo does eclipse it in influence, even if only by a shade.

Yet even in acknowledging all that Christianity, via acts and thoughts inspired by scripture, has contributed to the world (positively and negatively), we don't see why the Bible is a trustworthy source. If you say it's because so many people hold that the Bible is true and trustworthy, then you invoke an appeal to popularity, which can be formulated as:

[Many people believe X is true, therefore X is true];

OR

[Many people believe X is right, therefore X is right];

OR

[Many people engage in activity X, therefore X is what we should do, or X is the correct course of action].

The reason this is a problem is because it doesn't follow. You may know the old adage all parents tell their children. If your friends were to all jump off a bridge, would you do it too? If you say no, why not? After all, many people are doing it. So it must be a reasonable course of action, yes?

What I was asking is to demonstrate the authority of the Bible, not its influence. An authority (in this context***) is a source of information that we can deem to be accurate, objective, and reflects reality, giving us useful and worthwhile guidance and insight. For instance, a person who has dedicated their life to studying the behaviour of dogs could be deemed an authority on canine behaviour. Any texts they write on the subject could similarly be held to be an authority on canines.

So, we have the Bible. It was written and compiled awhile ago. It gives us a picture about the reality we experience, and tells us that we should so some things, and should not do other things. But why should I trust anything the Bible says, or accept that it's contents are true (accurate, objective, reflective of reality, giving useful insights, etc.)? I mean, it's just a book, right? Any reason why the Qu'ran is not a greater authority than the Bible? Or the Hindu Vedas? Or the Tao Te Ching?

If we go in with zero prior assumptions, preconceptions, biases, and whatever else, then all we have is a book. How can we determine that this book is more than a book? That what it says is not only accurate, but relevant to my life, and the lives of others? That I should proceed to take note of what the Bible says and seek to adhere to its precepts? If you can address these questions, then you will be able to prove that the Bible is an authority on not just cross-dressing, but various other matters.

***You can use the term authority to mean the focus of power. A dictator would be the highest (and sole) authority of their fascist state. Whatever they say, goes. But I'm using the term authority to denote trustworthy and reliable sources.

[/collapse]

[collapse=ON THE HISTORICITY OF THE BIBLE]
Here, you bring up the topic of historicity -- the scholarly examination of the historical legitimacy of sacred texts and their narratives.

So, here you say that the exploits of Jesus, the words he has said, as well as the fact that he is the Son of God born of the Virgin Mary, are all true because [our ancestors observed it].

Naturally, the first question is which ancestors. Do you mean people who lived in the era of Jesus? Are these people mentioned in the Bible? Are there non-Biblical sources and artifacts that corroborate what the Bible says? What do Christian and non-Christian scholars and historians, past and present, have to say as to the historicity of the Bible and its narrative?

The historicity of Jesus, along with the narrative of the Bible, is by no means as clear-cut as you paint it. Was Jesus messiah? A mortal man who preached a religion? Is the figure of Jesus-as-messiah fictional, inspired by some guy named Jesus (or someone else, or a combination of multiple actual people? Did Jesus actually exist at all in any form, with Jesus-as-messiah a mythical figure, a combination of prior mythical figures or a new creation outright? The debate of the historicity of Jesus still ensues to this day.

If you want to say that the Biblical narrative is historically factual, then I invite you to provide sources. Who "proved" that the Bible's narrative is historically factual, and when?

I will immediately note that historicity is not my field of expertise. I have some grasp of apologetics (and counter-apologetics), because these are non-empirical domains. But historicity is empirical, to the extent that there is literature on the subject of Biblical historicity. It's not an area I have done all too much research in (though I have been dipping my toes of late).

I will also confirm that I have not read the Bible, front to back. One of my planned side-projects in life is to read various sacred texts -- not just the Bible, but the Qu'ran, the Vedas, Buddhist Canons, the writings of Confucius and Laozi, the Prose and Poetic Eddas of the Norse mythos, Wiccan and Paganist literature, LaVey's Satanic Bible, and so on. I haven't yet made any real progress on this subject, alas.

It remains that whatever I know of the Bible, I have come across only through second-hand sources (namely in examining apologetics). This further impedes my ability to discuss the historicity of the Bible, since I don't have a firsthand knowledge of the text itself.

So all I can do is respond to whatever sources and information you care to provide.
[/collapse]

[collapse=ON THE WARRANTS OF PRESCRIPTION]
In the previous section, I noted that I have not (yet) read the Bible (the Book of Deuteronomy or otherwise). As such, I have questions.

First, what is it to be an "abomination"? Under Deuteronomy, if I, Sehnsucht, put on a woman's clothing, then I would become "an abomination to the Lord my God". What does that mean?

Does it mean I am offending God in some way? If so, how? What does God care that I wear "man's" clothing or "woman's" clothing? That I wear my boxers during the winter and an snow suit during the summer? God is a supreme being, yes? All-knowing, all-powerful, beyond space, beyond time, transcendent yet immanent, the epitome of that which is good.

Yet clothing is pretty arbitrary. It would be pretty silly if I, while walking down the road, I saw someone wearing a green t-shirt and got upset or furious or disgusted or offended over it. I don't think God would be offended if I wore a green shirt over a red shirt. Why would God, then, be offended if I wore a wig? And a skirt? And bracelets? And pumps? And carried a handbag around?

Clothing is clothing. What moral value does it have, that it would be a sin in the eyes of God to wear some things, but not other things? Clothing can be used to stay warm or cool, to denote yourself as a employee or official or team member whatever, to adhere to your personal aesthetics, etc. It's a very strange idea, then, that something as innocuous as clothing could be greatly offensive to a supreme being.

But maybe it isn't about the clothes per se, but the intent behind wearing them. So a man wears "woman's clothing" because they desire to present themselves as feminine, or as a woman (and vice-versa with women). And God takes offense to this? Why so? Does it violate the cosmic order? A "man" must always be a "man", a "woman" must always remain a "woman", and so on? That there are roles that we are meant to play, on the stage upon which God has set us?

This is also very strange. A man, a woman, everything in between; they are all walking and talking walker-talkers with arms and legs and faces and bodies. They're all fleshy carbon-based hominids that live and die and eat and sleep and reproduce and make things and on and on it goes. A supreme genuinely gasping in shock because someone is walking, talking, and/or dressing a certain way? That's a difficult idea to process.

I'll close this section with a query about sin (or [SIN], as you put it. How would you define sin? Why is cross-dressing in particular a sin? The Bible says that God says that cross-dressing is a sin. But on what basis did God decree cross-dressing an "abomination"? What was the reasoning, the math, that led God to conclude that cross-dressing should be deemed sinful? Or if it's not about reasoning, but preference, what is the basis of God's distaste for men wearing skirts and women wearing tuxedos?

As a bonus question, what do you make of transexual people? That is, people born as one sex/gender, but feel on a psychological/emotional level that they are the opposing sex/gender (male-to-female, female-to-male)? Are trans folk abominations? Are they deluded, and just want to transgress against God? If trans people really do genuinely feel their bodies don't reflect who they really are, then why do they even exist? That is, why has God allowed such people to even come to be?
[/collapse]

[collapse=ON KARMIC JUDGEMENT]
The obvious response, of course. But it is conditional on the truth of the Bible. IF the Bible is true (A), and IF it accurately conveys the wishes of God (B), and IF the Bible says that transgressions against God result in eternal damnation (C), and IF I care about what happens to my eternal soul (D), THEN I should seek to follow the Bible's prescriptions so that I avoid that undesirable fate (E).

Since we're dealing with a string of contingent conditionals, let's work backwards:

-Do I care about my eternal soul? That depends if I even have one. How would I determine that I have a soul that can be damned or saved? And if I do have a soul, then it is the case that I prefer to not experience pain. So preventing my damnation would be in my self-interest. But I don't think faith works that way; if you believe not out of genuine faith, but of mere fear of damnation, does your faith not become selfish? You only "believe" to save your own skin? Unless I find genuine faith in God, I won't be able to prevent my damnation. And that might be difficult to achieve, since I currently have multitudes of doubts and queries and bafflements as to what Christianity purportedly entails.

-Does the Bible say that transgressions against God result in eternal damnation? I would certainly bet that it does on multiple occasions.

-Does the Bible accurately reflect the wishes of God? The Bible says that the Bible accurately conveys God's wisdom, and perhaps those who've had personal revelation will attest to the Bible's valid insight. But to say the Bible proves the Bible is circular, and people can easily misinterpret their experiences or be misled; just look at all the non-Christian religions that affirm they are the truth. Are there non-biased sources that corroborate the notion that the Bible is a trustworthy source of God's insights?

-Is the Bible true? Dunno. Does it reflect our reality? If you read it literally, it won't align with the world as explained through science, but maybe . Is it historically accurate? In historical academia, the jury is still out.

So in examining our chain of conditionals, what we have is [A -X- B -X- C -> D -X- E]. Only one of the conditionals connect. The Bible does say sin leads to damnation so it does follow that if I have a soul, my damnation is a real risk. But if you can't demonstrate B, C will not follow. And if you cannot show A, B will not follow. This is why, before anything else, the validity (and authority) of the Bible must be demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt. Once you do so, then you can establish the specifics of sin, damnation, hell, and all that. Once you've successfully done so, then you can advise me to watch out for my soul.

But even with all that, I must note that on its own, the concept of heaven and hell -- as I understand it -- is fairly absurd. So, you have heaven, which is God's presence, and hell, which is to be removed from God's presence. All people are born into sin, and God's presence is free of sin, so those with sin can't be in God's presence (and are thus doomed to hell). Unless, of course, you accept Jesus, who, through his sacrifice, has created a gateway or a filter that removes your sin so you can enter God's presence. And since the afterlife is atemporal, it is "eternal". So once you die, your soul is either in or not in God's presence for eternity -- not as a linear sequence of infinite temporal frames aligned one after the other, but as a superposition of infinite temporal frames.

That seems an internally consistent story. The issue is the basis. What constitutes the foundation of sin? Why are some things sinful, but other things not? If it comes from God's nature, then why is God's nature such that God cannot condone me wearing high heels? Why is there even a physical world, and souls that incarnate into bodies? Is life just a glorified waiting room for What Comes Next?

It seems absurd and arbitrary. Granted, our own "material" realm is rather absurd and arbitrary at face value. But we can investigate and understand it, through science and philosophy and other means. We can say, one way or another, that the material realm is relevant to my experience. But if we have this entire realm of wild things beyond my experience, which exists on the say-so of a compilation of ancient texts, whose historicity remains an open question.

If I can't comprehend this whole shebang of heaven and hell and gods and spirits and redemption, and it has no relevance to my current experience (the only one I've ever known), then why should I factor all of that stuff in daily living? Is this what faith is? To believe that this stuff is relevant despite a lack of assurances and understanding? If that's faith, it seems blind. If I'm going to make decisions about how to conduct my life, I prefer to be informed and have some measure of assurances to think this is a desirable and reasonable set of beliefs to adopt.

Until the day I can A) wrap my mind around these crazy ideas, and B) have some basis to warrant my adoption of these ideas as being true and relevant, then I cannot care about hell, damnation or my soul. Because they might not even exist at all in any measure.
[/collapse]

Confused young people? What is your age, if I might inquire? I myself am 21. Does being young increase the probability of confusion? A curious choice of words.

In any case, I will again reiterate my opening statement. Best to focus on cross-dressing, so we should all be wary of straying too far into the minutiae of Judeo-Christian theology. I will try my best to steer things along those lines. So you can either continue the discussion of cross-dressing here -- or, if you want to discuss the Bible's veracity in general, try heading to threads that cover those topics (or if they don't exist, make your own).

I wrote a whole lot, but I have a no-stone-unturned approach to argumentation. I have to sacrifice brevity for covering all the bases. Please understand. :iwata-san:

Lysergic

Smash Cadet
One

You see, I have no qualms in saying that the god of the bible almost certainly does not exist, and that the hell you're threatening me with doesn't either.
I'm not threatening you I'm just stating the fact that if you don't repent or get baptized then you will burn in hell for all eternity. In fact I'm trying to help you.

Which is why I asked "are you okay with this" rather than "Do you think your God is okay with this".
Of course I'm okay with it. I'm okay with anything God says. If you want to make the decision to go against what God made you then you are what he said. An abomination, a sinner. If you don't repent then you will suffer the consequences. Sounds fair to me.

You guys want to know the harm religion does? Here you go.
You guys wanna know the harm in homosexuality/crossdressers? Here you go. A confused atheist doomed with the fate of eternal suffering in hell.

And it gets worse. Is anyone without sin? According to John 1:8, no, nobody is - those who claim to be are deluding themselves. Soeveryone is going to hell... Unless they repent their sin to Jesus, and believe in God. But here's the thing - I can't believe in god. I don't choose what I believe, any more than I choose what flavors I enjoy or which gender I am attracted to. If I tell you right now, "I believe in God", I would be lying, because I cannot simply choose to believe. I need to be convinced.
Then you need to go to church as soon as possible and get baptized. You might be possessed by one of Satan's demons. If you don't then you are certainly doomed.

So not only do we, in your moral system, have infinite punishment for finite crime, but the only way to escape this infinite punishment is not a choice. Oh, and everyone is a criminal. You don't see anything ****ed up about that? I understand that this is how it is taught in churches around the world, I'm asking you - do you agree with this? If you had to set up the system, would you do it this way?
If you follow God's commandments and don't sin then you don't have anything to worry about if you've accepted Jesus Christ into your heart. I think God's morality is fair and I would set up a system based on his rules exactly if I could. I mean as long as you follow the morality then you won't have anything to worry about. In fact you'll be rewarded greatly for all eternity. It's a pretty good trade off, really.

• That's pretty much all the advice I have to give you. Obviously you want help and are fighting your inner demons. I hope you can find Jesus and get saved before it's over, I really do. Just believe in yourself and stop looking at God in a fearful way. He is your friend not your enemy. Escape the devil's lies and brainwashing or you'll end up in a place that you'll have regret and pain forever. You'll probably think back and remember me trying to save you too. "Oh no I should of listened to Lysergic, he was trying to save me and help me find Jesus but I was to angry and mad at God so I denied God and committed the ultimate sin." Don't have to think and experience that in hell, repent and get saved. Good luck.
Two

Before I say anything else, this thread's topic concerns the permissibility of crossdressing in public spaces. Discussing Judeo-Christian theology risks derailing the thread. So while I will respond here under collapse tags, I would advise that either we stick to the crossdressing issue specifically, or move discussions of the merits of the Bible to a more appropriate thread.
First of all I was just responding to your presented questions/concerns. I really wasn't trying to start a separate discussion but just leave a brief comment initially on my thoughts towards transvestism. Second of all my username is not "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide" it is "Lysergic" and find that quite offensive of you to do.

Lastly I read over most of what you wrote and it's really just elaborate subjective blasphemy trying to sound intelligent but it's always good to imagine I guess. You can believe and perceive anything you like but in the end God and his commandments will always be there and you will have to deal with your decisions in the end. I will be happy to answer a few of your questions though.

First, what is it to be an "abomination"? Under Deuteronomy, if I, Sehnsucht, put on a woman's clothing, then I would become "an abomination to the Lord my God". What does that mean?
Abomination is something that is perceived with extreme disgust and hatred. It means you are denying your purpose and yourself. God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. You are as a male intended to be a male and behave as a male. To obsess or LUST and ENVY (which is what makes this action so critical) will lead to hell and you will not be welcomed into heaven.

As a bonus question, what do you make of transexual people? That is, people born as one sex/gender, but feel on a psychological/emotional level that they are the opposing sex/gender (male-to-female, female-to-male)? Are trans folk abominations? Are they deluded, and just want to transgress against God? If trans people really do genuinely feel their bodies don't reflect who they really are, then why do they even exist? That is, why has God allowed such people to even come to be?
This is a actually a much better question. Obviously there is a lot of controversy over "transexual people" and people have a lot of different opinions on the concept but the truth is it's confusion. Technically yes, "transsexual" are abominations in the eye of God and will go to hell. They are most centrality deluded but in some ways different than others. For an example, it may be a delusion of themselves. What they think they should or need to be (confusion). It could also be through the influence of Satan (sin) through lust and envy that deludes the mind of that individual. It is also possible for them to want to transgress against god as well on their own but typically this is influenced by the devil.

These people exist unfortunately because we are currently in a war between good and evil or God vs Satan. Sadly, not everyone can be saved and Satan will corrupt the minds of many and in some ways through "transgender" and "transvestism" inflicted delusions. That is why it's important for people (like me) to exist who have the power to help other people accept Jesus Christ into their heart and see the truth. If I could I would save everyone, but some are so deluded, ignorant, and blind from Satan's influence they will never realize thay aren't really transgender but just a delusional sinner.

What constitutes the foundation of sin? Why are some things sinful, but other things not? If it comes from God's nature, then why is God's nature such that God cannot condone me wearing high heels? Why is there even a physical world, and souls that incarnate into bodies? Is life just a glorified waiting room for What Comes Next?
It's great to philosophize but you are ignoring the basic fundamentals of what God and his word is. It's important not to be ignorant for it can lead to deception and lead to Satan. Some things are sinful and some things are not because it is the initial order of morality and humanity from our creator. If you deny the order of your creator then you are ignorant and corrupted by Satan and deserve to burn in hell for all eternity. This is why you can't wear high heels, it is an abomination! It is sin! Get yourself out of the loop and accept Jesus into your heart before it is too late!

Why is there a physical world? That's subjective but the truth only is obtained through the gates of Heaven. The one and only truth is God, everything else is only speculation and assumptions. If I were to tell you why I'd be lying for an exact detailed truth is impossible. I do know that our realm is below Heaven and a different realm. We are being measured and judged and there is a lot more to this but I can't go into too much detail on this post about it unfortunately for it would be much too long.

• I know your confused and I know it is not easy but you must avoid the Devil's deception and confusion. Do not put on that frilly dress no matter how much you think you "want" or "need" too. Hell isn't worth it. I know you think you're smart but when you dance with the Devil you can never be smart enough. Trust God and all the answers will come and so will Heaven. I'd love to give you an in depth description of everything you asked and covered but like you said this isn't the place to do it. I will be happy to create another thread where I will answer all of your questions if you request but that is up to you. I wish all of you luck who are still trapped in the delusion from the Devil's tricks but have faith that you can suppress these abominating urges. Much luck and love! Your friend, Lysergic.

I may as well post this here as well. Mind you, it's an hour long.
By the way this a debate thread not YouTube. If you want people to take you serious then write structured sentences based on your own ideas don't just post videos of somebody else's beliefs. Especially when it's an hour long like do you really think people are gonna watch that? Just trying to help you out for future reference.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
By the way this a debate thread not YouTube. If you want people to take you serious then write structured sentences based on your own ideas don't just post videos of somebody else's beliefs. Especially when it's an hour long like do you really think people are gonna watch that? Just trying to help you out for future reference.
There's no difference between citing an article with a wall of text rivaling the Great Wall of China, and a video that showcases a man who makes valid points, valid points that can just as easily be found in articles. If you're not going to watch it, that's your problem. I've made my point, and you gave no counter-argument, so that's all on you. Don't presume to tell me you're trying to help when I clearly know what I am doing.

Lysergic

Smash Cadet
There's no difference between citing an article with a wall of text rivaling the Great Wall of China, and a video that showcases a man who makes valid points, valid points that can just as easily be found in articles. If you're not going to watch it, that's your problem. I've made my point, and you gave no counter-argument, so that's all on you. Don't presume to tell me you're trying to help when I clearly know what I am doing.
Actually there's a huge difference. Also valid points based on articles are only valid if the article is valid which in some cases could not be valid at all. You should probably research more before making assumptions like that. That's just my two cents. Believe what you'd like though.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'm not threatening you I'm just stating the fact that if you don't repent or get baptized then you will burn in hell for all eternity. In fact I'm trying to help you.
Of course I'm okay with it. I'm okay with anything God says. If you want to make the decision to go against what God made you then you are what he said. An abomination, a sinner. If you don't repent then you will suffer the consequences. Sounds fair to me.
Then you need to go to church as soon as possible and get baptized. You might be possessed by one of Satan's demons. If you don't then you are certainly doomed.
This is a actually a much better question. Obviously there is a lot of controversy over "transexual people" and people have a lot of different opinions on the concept but the truth is it's confusion. Technically yes, "transsexual" are abominations in the eye of God and will go to hell. They are most centrality deluded but in some ways different than others. For an example, it may be a delusion of themselves. What they think they should or need to be (confusion). It could also be through the influence of Satan (sin) through lust and envy that deludes the mind of that individual. It is also possible for them to want to transgress against god as well on their own but typically this is influenced by the devil.
Here's something to really mess with your encephalon:

I don't usually make this a point in anything, but I am a transgender woman. Yet, I have been baptized as a teenager, and according to your first point (the first quote above), you mentioned "repent
or get baptized". Seeing as one or the other appear to be options, does this mean that because I was baptized in the name of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit, I'd be guaranteed salvation despite my label of being an "abomination" in your eyes forever and ever, amen? I mean, I've always felt the way I did since I can last remember and knew I was born in the wrong body since the age of 7. Fast forward many years later, I didn't get burned by the holy water as blessed with faith by the pastor, as I was slowly submerged into the hallowed pool. So what does this say in your eyes?
These people exist unfortunately because we are currently in a war between good and evil or God vs Satan. Sadly, not everyone can be saved and Satan will corrupt the minds of many and in some ways through "transgender" and "transvestism" inflicted delusions.
Because coercing people into becoming a transsexual is something I clearly aim to do in my life. A purpose I must commit to in the name of all that is transgender...
That is why it's important for people (like me) to exist who have the power to help other people accept Jesus Christ into their heart and see the truth. If I could I would save everyone, but some are so deluded, ignorant, and blind from Satan's influence they will never realize thay aren't really transgender but just a delusional sinner.
How can someone who is transgender not be transgender?
If you follow God's commandments and don't sin then you don't have anything to worry about if you've accepted Jesus Christ into your heart. I think God's morality is fair and I would set up a system based on his rules exactly if I could. I mean as long as you follow the morality then you won't have anything to worry about. In fact you'll be rewarded greatly for all eternity. It's a pretty good trade off, really.
Last I checked, the Ten Commandments mentioned nothing concerning cross dressing, let alone anything LGBT-related.

Last edited:

Lysergic

Smash Cadet
Here's something to really mess with your encephalon:

I don't usually make this a point in anything, but I am a transgender woman. Yet, I have been baptized as a teenager, and according to your first point (the first quote above), you mentioned "repent or get baptized". Seeing as one or the other appear to be options, does this mean that because I was baptized in the name of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit, I'd be guaranteed salvation despite my label of being an "abomination" in your eyes forever and ever, amen? I mean, I've always felt the way I did since I can last remember and knew I was born in the wrong body since the age of 7. Fast forward many years later, I didn't get burned by the holy water as blessed with faith by the pastor, as I was slowly submerged into the hallowed pool. So what does this say in your eyes?

Because coercing people into becoming a transsexual is something I clearly aim to do in my life. A purpose I must commit to in the name of all that is transgender...

How can someone who is transgender not be transgender?

Last I checked, the Ten Commandments mentioned nothing concerning cross dressing, let alone anything LGBT-related.
You are mistaken on every point you've made but don't worry I will enlighten you once and for all.

1. First of all just because you were baptized as a child doesn't mean you a guaranteed Heaven if you continue to sin throughout your life. Normally you would have to repent or get another baptism to cleanse your wrongdoing and sins away before you die. However in your case then that's impossible because even if you were to repent or get another baptism you still and always will be a sinner. This is because of the decision you made to become a transgender woman. Now I'm not sure if you mean you are transgender by mind or belief alone or if you mean you actually got a sex change because the term "transgender" is an umbrella term and can mean a few different things. If it is the latter then you will never be able to repent and are destined for eternal hell regardless of what you do. This is because you are constantly sinning due to the modification of your gender through lust, envy, and obsession (the flesh). That's all I have to say about that.
  2. I actually never said that was what you were trying to do (or transgender people). I said that the Devil influences human being's minds through deception and delusion to think that way or if brought up by a distorted family or childhood.
  3. Like I said before "transgender" is an umbrella term and can sometimes simply mean someone who feels they are the opposite gender "inside" or "mentally" without physically changing their appearance (permanently).
  4. Cross dressing is a sin and is wrong through the eyes of God. It covers lust, envy, and possibly a few others depending on the situation.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
First of all just because you were baptized as a child doesn't mean you a guaranteed Heaven if you continue to sin throughout your life. Normally you would have to repent or get another baptism to cleanse your wrongdoing and sins away before you die. However in your case then that's impossible because even if you were to repent or get another baptism you still and always will be a sinner. This is because of the decision you made to become a transgender woman. Now I'm not sure if you mean you are transgender by mind or belief alone or if you mean you actually got a sex change because the term "transgender" is an umbrella term and can mean a few different things. If it is the latter then you will never be able to repent and are destined for eternal hell regardless of what you do. This is because you are constantly sinning due to the modification of your gender through lust, envy, and obsession (the flesh). That's all I have to say about that.

So what does that say for Christians who are tattooed and choose to keep the tattoo? Furthermore, what about intersex individuals (also known as "hermaphrodites")? They're born with both genitals, function of one or the other notwithstanding. Where do they stand in the eyes of the one who supposedly created them?
I actually never said that was what you were trying to do (or transgender people). I said that the Devil influences human being's minds through deception and delusion to think that way or if brought up by a distorted family or childhood.

The biggest irony in this, is that I was born and raised in a Christian home, went to church every Sunday, said my prayers every morning and night, read the bible, and still felt the way I felt on the inside. So much for that argument.
Cross dressing is a sin and is wrong through the eyes of God. It covers lust, envy, and possibly a few others depending on the situation.

You'll have to explain how and why it covers lust and envy. It's possible a man just happens to like wearing a dress and get no sexual gratification for it, and does so without any jealous feelings toward anyone, let alone women. What about kilts (you know, the piece of clothing some call a glorified "skirt")? Are all Scottish men (or men in general) sinners for wearing them?

Lysergic

Smash Cadet
So what does that say for Christians who are tattooed and choose to keep the tattoo? Furthermore, what about intersex individuals (also known as "hermaphrodites")? They're born with both genitals, function of one or the other notwithstanding. Where do they stand in the eyes of the one who supposedly created them?

The biggest irony in this, is that I was born and raised in a Christian home, went to church every Sunday, said my prayers every morning and night, read the bible, and still felt the way I felt on the inside. So much for that argument.

You'll have to explain how and why it covers lust and envy. It's possible a man just happens to like wearing a dress and get no sexual gratification for it, and does so without any jealous feelings toward anyone, let alone women. What about kilts (you know, the piece of clothing some call a glorified "skirt")? Are all Scottish men (or men in general) sinners for wearing them?
Tattoos are different and can be forgiven. They can even be reversed. Sex changes are a complete different story. You really need to reread your Bible. Hermaphrodites are different, that's an actual genetic mutation and has no impact on their conscious decision and choices. In fact you are either born a male or female hermaphrodite so based on the Bible's theology then as long as you follow your gender's roles and identity then you aren't technically sinning.

That's sad to hear. I'm sure if you were to have stuck doing this you wouldn't have turned out the way you are.
Even if a man simply just likes wearing a dress doesn't change the fact they are an abomination. True, sexual gratification is from these actions is Lust and Envy but wanting to be a girl when you are a boy is still Envy. The Scottish thing is a different and you should know this. The belief of you being a female/male when you are not and engaging in cross dressing is sin and you will go to hell.

Sorry I'm being short with you but I must get back to my work. I'll catch back with you later to provide more information for you.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
You really need to reread your Bible.

Where in the bible does it address transgender people?
Hermaphrodites are different, that's an actual genetic mutation and has no impact on their conscious decision and choices. In fact you are either born a male or female hermaphrodite so based on the Bible's theology then as long as you follow your gender's roles and identity then you aren't technically sinning.

I can't take anyone who believes in "gender roles" seriously. Sorry.
That's sad to hear. I'm sure if you were to have stuck doing this you wouldn't have turned out the way you are.

Is that a joke? I've felt like I was born in the wrong body since I was 7 years old. Despite this, I was still a devout Christian for years after, trying to wrestle with my feelings, especially having been taught that homosexuality was a sin, an "abomination", etc. Despite all of the prayers, despite the tears shed, despite my baptism, despite EVERYTHING, I still felt the way I did all the way to adulthood. So is there some specified time limit to wait before I was "cured" of my transsexual "disease"? It wasn't until I was in my early 20s when I finally walked away from religion because of all of the hate that the majority of its leaders would spread, specifically toward the LGBT community; not murderers, not pedophiles, but those who aren't heterosexual and cis-gender.

It is because the religious leaders teach things, such as gays going to hell, even if said gays have done nothing wrong, all the while, heinous people, who murder and ****, yet "rediscover God" only when in prison, somehow become immune to damnation, as if repenting can bring back the dead. It is the contradictions of religion, where Christ says to love thy enemies as you would your neighbors, yet those same Christians will hate and loath and would happily burn at the stake a gay man, or a trans woman - people they view as "enemies", that really opened my eyes to the fallacies that is organized religion as a whole. Teachings of love and compassion disfigured by the likes of Charlemagne and the countless Catholic leaders of the Dark Ages, claiming to be in the "name of God" when it's more for the name of their own selfish gain.

Now don't misunderstand me. I don't hate those, nor do I look down upon those who follow a religion with a good heart. I only have a problem with those who use their religion as justification to discriminate and oppress others, or try to shove their views and beliefs down the throats of those who happen to not believe in the same thing.

Sorry I'm being short with you but I must get back to my work. I'll catch back with you later to provide more information for you.

At this point, there's nothing you can say that can change my current views. If anything, your bigoted beliefs and points further drives me away from religion, let alone Christianity. If the Christian god is indeed real, and he's as malevolent as you and countless others paint him to be, then I'd rather burn in hell for all eternity than to show any loyalty to such a selfish tyrant.

Lysergic

Smash Cadet
Where in the bible does it address transgender people?

I can't take anyone who believes in "gender roles" seriously. Sorry.

Is that a joke? I've felt like I was born in the wrong body since I was 7 years old. Despite this, I was still a devout Christian for years after, trying to wrestle with my feelings, especially having been taught that homosexuality was a sin, an "abomination", etc. Despite all of the prayers, despite the tears shed, despite my baptism, despite EVERYTHING, I still felt the way I did all the way to adulthood. So is there some specified time limit to wait before I was "cured" of my transsexual "disease"? It wasn't until I was in my early 20s when I finally walked away from religion because of all of the hate that the majority of its leaders would spread, specifically toward the LGBT community; not murderers, not pedophiles, but those who aren't heterosexual and cis-gender.

It is because the religious leaders teach things, such as gays going to hell, even if said gays have done nothing wrong, all the while, heinous people, who murder and ****, yet "rediscover God" only when in prison, somehow become immune to damnation, as if repenting can bring back the dead. It is the contradictions of religion, where Christ says to love thy enemies as you would your neighbors, yet those same Christians will hate and loath and would happily burn at the stake a gay man, or a trans woman - people they view as "enemies", that really opened my eyes to the fallacies that is organized religion as a whole. Teachings of love and compassion disfigured by the likes of Charlemagne and the countless Catholic leaders of the Dark Ages, claiming to be in the "name of God" when it's more for the name of their own selfish gain.

Now don't misunderstand me. I don't hate those, nor do I look down upon those who follow a religion with a good heart. I only have a problem with those who use their religion as justification to discriminate and oppress others, or try to shove their views and beliefs down the throats of those who happen to not believe in the same thing.

At this point, there's nothing you can say that can change my current views. If anything, your bigoted beliefs and points further drives me away from religion, let alone Christianity. If the Christian god is indeed real, and he's as malevolent as you and countless others paint him to be, then I'd rather burn in hell for all eternity than to show any loyalty to such a selfish tyrant.
You're right. Believe what you'd like. I am sorry for any inconvenience I've caused.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
@ Lysergic Lysergic

This will likely be the last substantive response I make to your posts. I expand on this later below, but you don't seem interested in debate; you seem only interested in evangelizing. If you're going to repeat yourself ad nauseam, discourse cannot ensue.

I have another enormous post for you. I'm sure you don't mind.

With that:

[collapse=ON ONE LAST HURRAH]
First of all I was just responding to your presented questions/concerns. I really wasn't trying to start a separate discussion but just leave a brief comment initially on my thoughts towards transvestism. Second of all my username is not "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide" it is "Lysergic" and find that quite offensive of you to do.
My preface was more of a precautionary advisement. If we were to end up exploring the breadth and depth of the Bible's contents, then we'd risk straying further and further from the purposes of this particular thread (and also risk getting lost in details, going down and down the rabbit hole). It's about organization and clarity, you see.

As for your username quotation, that was indeed a sly dig, for LSD is a psychadelic drug. If it caused you offense, I retract it all.

Though I must nonetheless ask. Where does your username come from, if not from LSD? The root of the word "lysergic" is literally chemical (hydrolysis, ergoline).

Lastly I read over most of what you wrote and it's really just elaborate subjective blasphemy trying to sound intelligent but it's always good to imagine I guess. You can believe and perceive anything you like but in the end God and his commandments will always be there and you will have to deal with your decisions in the end. I will be happy to answer a few of your questions though.
I wrote as much as I did to analyze your responses. It's like working through a math problem. You first take an account of the variables at hand, determine what formulas and equations are relevant, and work sequentially from there, step by step.

In PEMDAS, you follow the order of operations. In debate, you follow the order of the premises. If, in a math problem, you run through the numbers and something doesn't add up, then you retrace your course to see where the error lies. If, in examining an argument, you run through the premises and something doesn't add up, then you retrace your course to see where the fallacy lies.

It's all there is to it.

Here's a question. Is questioning the Bible, God, the Church, or anything pertaining to such an act of blasphemy? Do I blaspheme against God by my inquiry? If I ask things like "how come things are this way", "how do you know X", "X seems problematic", etc. etc., then am I transgressing upon God, committing sin and condemning myself all the further?

If your answer is yes, then I affirm that I blaspheme with no regrets. I value inquiry and investigation over accepting ideas without due consideration. I only know what I know. I'd rather know that which is true and concordant with experience and reality. I'd rather not be misled. Because of this, I cannot in good conscience do anything but not simply accept claims at face-value. If you come up to me and say "The Bible is true because I say the Bible is true", then I cannot with any honesty take that at face-value. What if you're lying? What if you believe what you say is true? What if the Bible is partially true, or not true in any way? This is why investigation and inquiry are necessary.

If you wish to dismiss the entirety of what I wrote as "elaborate subjective blasphemy", and not to engage with my response in any way, then we can't really have a conversation, can we? If this is your wish, then I suppose we'll soon be parting ways.

Because again, if you're only here to say "I'm telling you the Bible is true, so you should believe me," then it's clear you aren't interested in the exchange, contrast, and comparison of new ideas for the betterment of all parties.

Abomination is something that is perceived with extreme disgust and hatred. It means you are denying your purpose and yourself. God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. You are as a male intended to be a male and behave as a male. To obsess or LUST and ENVY (which is what makes this action so critical) will lead to hell and you will not be welcomed into heaven.
-So God views cross-dressers with [extreme disgust and hatred]? How random, and absurd. Does God shake his fist whenever someone goes off-script on this stage that God has made?

Your description of God makes him seem like an emotionally manipulative person. If you don't do exactly as he tells you, you'll suffer for it (not with a black eye, but with unending agony). We recognize such qualities as reprehensible in fellow humans. We don't let the positive traits and behaviours of people excuse the negative traits and behaviours. Why would we make an exception for God? Because God is God? Because God created us?

My parents conceived me, and I would not be alive were it not for them. But does that I mean I must obey their every command, that I must excuse whatever negative traits they may exhibit? What do I owe my parents for having conceived me? What do I owe God for having created me (whether directly or indirectly)? It's all very depressing to think about.

-I have a purpose? What purpose is this? To live, and then to die? To remove sin from myself that I might enter the presence of God forever and ever? What purpose does living, then dying achieve? What purpose does entering heaven achieve? Entering hell? For there to be a purpose, there must be a goal. Yet there doesn't seem to be any, beyond the tautological.

-What is your interpretation of Adam and Eve? Is the Eden narrative 100% accurate? Which is to say, the Book of Genesis is a literal account of history? If so, how do you reconcile Adam and Eve being the first humans with evolutionary theory, genetics, and other facts of biology, which seems to make that literal account impossible? The problem of inbreeding alone makes a literal account impossible in our reality.

If not, is the Eden narrative metaphorical? Using images of gardens and fruits and serpents as symbols for what once led the human species astray? If so, how do we interpret these symbols? What's the right interpretation? The fact that there exist a huge number of Christian denominations shows that people can't agree on the details, whether they be large or small.

-So cross-dressing is a sin of envy and lust? If I wanted to present myself as female, then would it be that I am in envy of the female sex? Or that I lust for women so much that I want to become one myself?

What if I wanted to wear make-up, because I think I look nice on me? What if I wanted to wear a floral dress on a sunny day, because the dress was light and cool and thus befitting the weather? What if I wanted to wear red heels because I like the colour red? Does any of this bespeak envy or lust of females? Why are females the ones who get to use these things? Why are men the ones who get to use the things they use (e.g. cologne, trousers, tuxes, etc.)? How did God decide which sex/gender gets which articles of clothing?

-God made me a male, so I must act like a male. How does that logically follow? It's like the parent thing I noted earlier. God created me, either indirectly by the creation of the universe, or directly by sending my soul to this body.

So? Am I beholden to God's whims purely due to being God's creation?

A) God created me;
B) ???
C) Therefore, I must obey God.

There is a gap in your logic, Lysergic. If your premises don't follow from one another, your argument is invalid. If you cannot show what B) might be, then under the rules of debate, I have zero reason to accept your argument.

These people exist unfortunately because we are currently in a war between good and evil or God vs Satan. Sadly, not everyone can be saved and Satan will corrupt the minds of many and in some ways through "transgender" and "transvestism" inflicted delusions. That is why it's important for people (like me) to exist who have the power to help other people accept Jesus Christ into their heart and see the truth. If I could I would save everyone, but some are so deluded, ignorant, and blind from Satan's influence they will never realize thay aren't really transgender but just a delusional sinner.
So, in the absence of evil and sin and vice, there would exist no transexual persons? Everyone born male would want to be a man, every born female would want to be a woman? 'Kay then.

I'm wary of dismissing experience out of hand. Experience is incorrigible, which means that you can't deny that experience has happened.

For example, your faith in the Christian God is incorrigible. If you say that you have the experience of God, then I believe that you had an experience, which you call God.

Yet while experience is incorrigible, it doesn't mean it's true. Because it's certainly possible to misinterpret one's experiences. The human mind is fallible, prey to numerous biases and errors. You certainly had some kind of experience, but is it really from God? Or have you simply plastered "God" onto whatever you were feeling and experiencing?

Likewise, if a transexual person says that identity with another sex/gender, then I believe that they are having an experience, which they describe as being transexuality. Are they misinterpreting their experiences? Possibly.

You say they are misinterpreting their experience, because they are being influenced, if not outright misled, by demonic forces. Is this the only explanation? Is it the best?

Can physiology and neurology and psychology fully account for transexuality? Is it a combination of both those and demonic forces? How can we tell?

I can say that since we do know physiology and neurology and psychology exist -- as function of bodies and brains existing -- that chances are such things have far more explanatory power. We can't infer the presence of demonic influence to as much a detailed and comprehensive degree. So I'm placing my bets on transexuality being caused by brain wiring, genetics, biochemistry, and related factors, over subliminal demonic messaging.

It's great to philosophize but you are ignoring the basic fundamentals of what God and his word is. It's important not to be ignorant for it can lead to deception and lead to Satan. Some things are sinful and some things are not because it is the initial order of morality and humanity from our creator. If you deny the order of your creator then you are ignorant and corrupted by Satan and deserve to burn in hell for all eternity. This is why you can't wear high heels, it is an abomination! It is sin! Get yourself out of the loop and accept Jesus into your heart before it is too late!
Let us grant that, yes, indeed, there is a Moral Order. To adhere to that Order is Right; to act in opposition of that Order is Wrong.

My question is "why does the Order take the form that it does"? That's what I was musing about, earlier. I am interested in why things are the way things are. We can do as much for the world we live in. Why is my body the way it is? Chemistry, biology, evolutionary process can account for that. Why is the Earth here? Astrophysics and cosmology can account for that.

Why is X a sin? Well.. because God doesn't like it. Any reason God doesn't like X? Well... he just doesn't, okay!

For things about our world, we can point to the way things are connected, why one thing leads to another (or stems from another). And if we don't know, it is possible to investigate to ascertain insight and context.

With the picture of Christianity you describe, none of that is possible. Things are the way they are either because the Bible says so, or God says so (or both). And that's the end of that. And I can't verify any of these claims unless I die or kill myself (or have some kind of special revelation, which I have not yet experienced). But dying is not something I can reverse, so it's too big a gamble for me.

So what I'm left with is a story that sounds absurd in multiple respects, which I cannot verify either in my own investigation or in the investigation by trustworthy sources, which people tell me I should believe to be true despite this, and which I can only truly verify after I die, which is not something I currently know how to reverse.

How unfortunate. How baffling. How boring.

Why is there a physical world? That's subjective but the truth only is obtained through the gates of Heaven. The one and only truth is God, everything else is only speculation and assumptions. If I were to tell you why I'd be lying for an exact detailed truth is impossible. I do know that our realm is below Heaven and a different realm. We are being measured and judged and there is a lot more to this but I can't go into too much detail on this post about it unfortunately for it would be much too long.
If the truth is unattainable, I find myself much less interested in pursuing it.

As we come to the end of this discussion, we come back to the basics. Why should I believe you, or take your word for things?

"My name is Lysergic, and I, Lysergic, say that God is the Truth. You should believe me because I'm telling you to believe me. The Bible is true because I'm telling you that the Bible is true, and so you can clearly see that everything in the Bible must therefore then be consequently true."

This is what you sound to me, when I read your responses. You are in the Debate Hall. You are supposed to present a case. Here is my position, here are its arguments, here are the reasoning and evidence to support my assertions. Yet the only things you bring to the table are these kinds of assertions:

"The Bible said so, so it's true."

"God (or Jesus) said so, so it's true."

"I say so, so it's true."

But how? What are the A-B-C premises that inform these conclusions? And why should I believe any of this?

You want to "save" me, you say? You can start by actually addressing the things that I say, and showing why my reasoning is flawed. Because if you do show that my reasoning is flawed, then I would be inclined to consider reasonable alternatives and amendments to my worldview (as any rational, sensible person would).

I know your confused and I know it is not easy but you must avoid the Devil's deception and confusion. Do not put on that frilly dress no matter how much you think you "want" or "need" too. Hell isn't worth it. I know you think you're smart but when you dance with the Devil you can never be smart enough. Trust God and all the answers will come and so will Heaven. I'd love to give you an in depth description of everything you asked and covered but like you said this isn't the place to do it. I will be happy to create another thread where I will answer all of your questions if you request but that is up to you. I wish all of you luck who are still trapped in the delusion from the Devil's tricks but have faith that you can suppress these abominating urges. Much luck and love! Your friend, Lysergic.
You again use the word "confused".

To say that I am confused is to say that there is a true state of affairs, and that, for whatever reason(s), I cannot perceive that true state of affairs, or have been lead away from it. The truth is there; I simply cannot see it, or are blind to it.

Or perhaps I am not confused. How am I to tell? You say that I am confused. How have you inferred this? Can you read into my thoughts, my experiences, my emotions? Do you have such powers? How do you know that "I think that I am smart"? If you can infer my states of mind, can you gauge how smart I actually am?

I am precisely as smart as I happen to be. That's all there is to it. Don't let my fancy words and long posts lead you into thinking that I am smart (or that I think that I am smart). Writing well is not necessarily a sign of intelligence, because for all my verbiage, it might well all be lacking substance. :p

...By the way, I'm not a transexual, nor a tranvestite. I am male, but have no plans to start putting on dresses and skirts and heels anytime soon. I was not expressing such desires; rather, I was using myself for the sake of example (e.g. "If I were to do X, would it mean Y?").

It seems you misinterpreted what I was saying, there. I thought my writing was pretty obvious and straightforward.

But whatever. If I am in danger of damnation, it is clearly not because of what I decide to wear on Friday nights.
[/collapse]

Our conversation is drawing to a close. You have displayed little to no interest in commenting on, nor addressing points I raise. And you say the Bible is true, but provide nothing to give anyone justification to believe you, beyond saying things like "the Bible is true", or saying that "the Bible is factual" without demonstrating how that is the case. This is not a debate; it is prosetylization.

Of course, I expected as much, given your initial posts. Yet I attempted to debate in good faith with you, as that's a courtesy I'd extend to anyone out of principle. But you don't seem to want to debate in good faith, either; you don't seem to want to debate at all. Which is fine. But it means your time will be better spent outside the Debate Hall.

I am interested in inquiry and investigation and accuracy. When I inquire, and when I investigate, the Judeo-Christian package fails to meet the standard that any truth should meet. I would ask you if maybe I'm doing this whole inquiry thing wrong, but you hardly seem an authority on inquiry and investigation, given your posts.

To conclude, let me state for the record, and for your reference, what I actually think about cross-dressing:

[collapse=ON CROSS-DRESSING, FOR REAL]
Cross-dressing, gender-bending, transexuality, and related things have neither positive nor negative moral value. Only actions have moral value. Deeds, words, behaviours. If these things are never expressed in the actual world, then for all intents and purposes, they exist in a vacuum as unexpressed potentialities, and so cannot possess any moral quantity or quality.

Clothing can't have more value. It can only have moral value as a function of the way it is used by persons. Same for make-up. Same for shoes. Same for accessories. The only way such things can possibly have negative moral value is if they are used for unrighteous purposes (e.g. strangling someone with my shirt).

This is also why skin colour, eye colour, ethnicity, sex, hair style, body type, and other superficial traits have neither positive or negative value. Does having green eyes make someone a good person? A bad person? Does wearing a skirt make someone a good person? A bad person?

If thoughts and impulses and desires are never expressed as actions, then they cannot create consequences. You can never know what a person is thinking or desiring until and unless they act upon it. Otherwise, no harm nor benefit is incurred on anyone. Therefore, the locus of morality is not on what kind of person you should be (virtue ethics), nor what external duties you are supposed to uphold (deontology), but the consequences of actions (consequentialism).

And under a consequentialist ethic, which I hold to, cross-dressing has neutral moral value. It is therefore neither good or bad to do. Whether a person does or does not cross-dress neither entails any negative moral consequence.

What is wrong to do is to limit the autonomy of other people. If a person wants to dress a certain way, and I restrict their choice against their desire and will, I am violating their autonomy. So while cross-dressing in itself has neutral moral value, to ban or disavow cross-dressing for those who do wish to engage in cross-dressing does constitute a moral wrong. And this is why cross-dressing is not only permissible, but should be permitted, legally and culturally.

Cross-dressing, transexuality, gender expression, public nudity, sexual orientation (homo, bi, pan, non, etc.), polyamory (and non-traditional families and/or relationships generally)... this consequentalist ethic permits a wide number of things. And it can all be justified through logic, reasoning, and evidence.

This is what I hold to be the most rational and reasonable state of affairs -- a conclusion reached through inquiry and investigation (and reasoning).
[/collapse]

Well, this seems to be the end. I imagine you will probably read this post and:

-Try to address my questions by citing Biblical knowledge;
-Tell me I am confused/deluded/influenced by Satan, and should seek Christ to free myself from these shackles;
-Say that I am engaging in sophistry because I gain delight in sinning and in opposing God;
-Conclude with a block of text warning me to save myself before it is too late, and that you are rooting for me to find my way to Christ.

I say that I expect this because these are the only things you bring to the table, which in debate is insufficient. Consequently, I am not interested in the latter three -- since they are not relevant to debate -- and I may respond for your response to my queries, but not much beyond that. If you decide you want to engage in debate by addressing my points and pointing out their flaws through use of logic and reasoning (and Biblical authority -- once you demonstrate that authority is worth anything), then we can get a real discussion going. Otherwise, this will mark the conclusion of our discourse.

Have a good day, then -- and this, because it's nice when people have good days. 8)

Last edited:

Lysergic

Smash Cadet
@ Lysergic Lysergic

This will likely be the last substantive response I make to your posts. I expand on this later below, but you don't seem interested in debate; you seem only interested in evangelizing. If you're going to repeat yourself ad nauseam, discourse cannot ensue.

I have another enormous post for you. I'm sure you don't mind.

With that:

[collapse=ON ONE LAST HURRAH]

My preface was more of a precautionary advisement. If we were to end up exploring the breadth and depth of the Bible's contents, then we'd risk straying further and further from the purposes of this particular thread (and also risk getting lost in details, going down and down the rabbit hole). It's about organization and clarity, you see.

As for your username quotation, that was indeed a sly dig, for LSD is a psychadelic drug. If it caused you offense, I retract it all.

Though I must nonetheless ask. Where does your username come from, if not from LSD? The root of the word "lysergic" is literally chemical (hydrolysis, ergoline).

I wrote as much as I did to analyze your responses. It's like working through a math problem. You first take an account of the variables at hand, determine what formulas and equations are relevant, and work sequentially from there, step by step.

In PEMDAS, you follow the order of operations. In debate, you follow the order of the premises. If, in a math problem, you run through the numbers and something doesn't add up, then you retrace your course to see where the error lies. If, in examining an argument, you run through the premises and something doesn't add up, then you retrace your course to see where the fallacy lies.

It's all there is to it.

Here's a question. Is questioning the Bible, God, the Church, or anything pertaining to such an act of blasphemy? Do I blaspheme against God by my inquiry? If I ask things like "how come things are this way", "how do you know X", "X seems problematic", etc. etc., then am I transgressing upon God, committing sin and condemning myself all the further?

If your answer is yes, then I affirm that I blaspheme with no regrets. I value inquiry and investigation over accepting ideas without due consideration. I only know what I know. I'd rather know that which is true and concordant with experience and reality. I'd rather not be misled. Because of this, I cannot in good conscience do anything but not simply accept claims at face-value. If you come up to me and say "The Bible is true because I say the Bible is true", then I cannot with any honesty take that at face-value. What if you're lying? What if you believe what you say is true? What if the Bible is partially true, or not true in any way? This is why investigation and inquiry are necessary.

If you wish to dismiss the entirety of what I wrote as "elaborate subjective blasphemy", and not to engage with my response in any way, then we can't really have a conversation, can we? If this is your wish, then I suppose we'll soon be parting ways.

Because again, if you're only here to say "I'm telling you the Bible is true, so you should believe me," then it's clear you aren't interested in the exchange, contrast, and comparison of new ideas for the betterment of all parties.

-So God views cross-dressers with [extreme disgust and hatred]? How random, and absurd. Does God shake his fist whenever someone goes off-script on this stage that God has made?

Your description of God makes him seem like an emotionally manipulative person. If you don't do exactly as he tells you, you'll suffer for it (not with a black eye, but with unending agony). We recognize such qualities as reprehensible in fellow humans. We don't let the positive traits and behaviours of people excuse the negative traits and behaviours. Why would we make an exception for God? Because God is God? Because God created us?

My parents conceived me, and I would not be alive were it not for them. But does that I mean I must obey their every command, that I must excuse whatever negative traits they may exhibit? What do I owe my parents for having conceived me? What do I owe God for having created me (whether directly or indirectly)? It's all very depressing to think about.

-I have a purpose? What purpose is this? To live, and then to die? To remove sin from myself that I might enter the presence of God forever and ever? What purpose does living, then dying achieve? What purpose does entering heaven achieve? Entering hell? For there to be a purpose, there must be a goal. Yet there doesn't seem to be any, beyond the tautological.

-What is your interpretation of Adam and Eve? Is the Eden narrative 100% accurate? Which is to say, the Book of Genesis is a literal account of history? If so, how do you reconcile Adam and Eve being the first humans with evolutionary theory, genetics, and other facts of biology, which seems to make that literal account impossible? The problem of inbreeding alone makes a literal account impossible in our reality.

If not, is the Eden narrative metaphorical? Using images of gardens and fruits and serpents as symbols for what once led the human species astray? If so, how do we interpret these symbols? What's the right interpretation? The fact that there exist a huge number of Christian denominations shows that people can't agree on the details, whether they be large or small.

-So cross-dressing is a sin of envy and lust? If I wanted to present myself as female, then would it be that I am in envy of the female sex? Or that I lust for women so much that I want to become one myself?

What if I wanted to wear make-up, because I think I look nice on me? What if I wanted to wear a floral dress on a sunny day, because the dress was light and cool and thus befitting the weather? What if I wanted to wear red heels because I like the colour red? Does any of this bespeak envy or lust of females? Why are females the ones who get to use these things? Why are men the ones who get to use the things they use (e.g. cologne, trousers, tuxes, etc.)? How did God decide which sex/gender gets which articles of clothing?

-God made me a male, so I must act like a male. How does that logically follow? It's like the parent thing I noted earlier. God created me, either indirectly by the creation of the universe, or directly by sending my soul to this body.

So? Am I beholden to God's whims purely due to being God's creation?

A) God created me;
B) ???
C) Therefore, I must obey God.

There is a gap in your logic, Lysergic. If your premises don't follow from one another, your argument is invalid. If you cannot show what B) might be, then under the rules of debate, I have zero reason to accept your argument.

So, in the absence of evil and sin and vice, there would exist no transexual persons? Everyone born male would want to be a man, every born female would want to be a woman? 'Kay then.

I'm wary of dismissing experience out of hand. Experience is incorrigible, which means that you can't deny that experience has happened.

For example, your faith in the Christian God is incorrigible. If you say that you have the experience of God, then I believe that you had an experience, which you call God.

Yet while experience is incorrigible, it doesn't mean it's true. Because it's certainly possible to misinterpret one's experiences. The human mind is fallible, prey to numerous biases and errors. You certainly had some kind of experience, but is it really from God? Or have you simply plastered "God" onto whatever you were feeling and experiencing?

Likewise, if a transexual person says that identity with another sex/gender, then I believe that they are having an experience, which they describe as being transexuality. Are they misinterpreting their experiences? Possibly.

You say they are misinterpreting their experience, because they are being influenced, if not outright misled, by demonic forces. Is this the only explanation? Is it the best?

Can physiology and neurology and psychology fully account for transexuality? Is it a combination of both those and demonic forces? How can we tell?

I can say that since we do know physiology and neurology and psychology exist -- as function of bodies and brains existing -- that chances are such things have far more explanatory power. We can't infer the presence of demonic influence to as much a detailed and comprehensive degree. So I'm placing my bets on transexuality being caused by brain wiring, genetics, biochemistry, and related factors, over subliminal demonic messaging.

Let us grant that, yes, indeed, there is a Moral Order. To adhere to that Order is Right; to act in opposition of that Order is Wrong.

My question is "why does the Order take the form that it does"? That's what I was musing about, earlier. I am interested in why things are the way things are. We can do as much for the world we live in. Why is my body the way it is? Chemistry, biology, evolutionary process can account for that. Why is the Earth here? Astrophysics and cosmology can account for that.

Why is X a sin? Well.. because God doesn't like it. Any reason God doesn't like X? Well... he just doesn't, okay!

For things about our world, we can point to the way things are connected, why one thing leads to another (or stems from another). And if we don't know, it is possible to investigate to ascertain insight and context.

With the picture of Christianity you describe, none of that is possible. Things are the way they are either because the Bible says so, or God says so (or both). And that's the end of that. And I can't verify any of these claims unless I die or kill myself (or have some kind of special revelation, which I have not yet experienced). But dying is not something I can reverse, so it's too big a gamble for me.

So what I'm left with is a story that sounds absurd in multiple respects, which I cannot verify either in my own investigation or in the investigation by trustworthy sources, which people tell me I should believe to be true despite this, and which I can only truly verify after I die, which is not something I currently know how to reverse.

How unfortunate. How baffling. How boring.

If the truth is unattainable, I find myself much less interested in pursuing it.

As we come to the end of this discussion, we come back to the basics. Why should I believe you, or take your word for things?

"My name is Lysergic, and I, Lysergic, say that God is the Truth. You should believe me because I'm telling you to believe me. The Bible is true because I'm telling you that the Bible is true, and so you can clearly see that everything in the Bible must therefore then be consequently true."

This is what you sound to me, when I read your responses. You are in the Debate Hall. You are supposed to present a case. Here is my position, here are its arguments, here are the reasoning and evidence to support my assertions. Yet the only things you bring to the table are these kinds of assertions:

"The Bible said so, so it's true."

"God (or Jesus) said so, so it's true."

"I say so, so it's true."

But how? What are the A-B-C premises that inform these conclusions? And why should I believe any of this?

You want to "save" me, you say? You can start by actually addressing the things that I say, and showing why my reasoning is flawed. Because if you do show that my reasoning is flawed, then I would be inclined to consider reasonable alternatives and amendments to my worldview (as any rational, sensible person would).

You again use the word "confused".

To say that I am confused is to say that there is a true state of affairs, and that, for whatever reason(s), I cannot perceive that true state of affairs, or have been lead away from it. The truth is there; I simply cannot see it, or are blind to it.

Or perhaps I am not confused. How am I to tell? You say that I am confused. How have you inferred this? Can you read into my thoughts, my experiences, my emotions? Do you have such powers? How do you know that "I think that I am smart"? If you can infer my states of mind, can you gauge how smart I actually am?

I am precisely as smart as I happen to be. That's all there is to it. Don't let my fancy words and long posts lead you into thinking that I am smart (or that I think that I am smart). Writing well is not necessarily a sign of intelligence, because for all my verbiage, it might well all be lacking substance. :p

...By the way, I'm not a transexual, nor a tranvestite. I am male, but have no plans to start putting on dresses and skirts and heels anytime soon. I was not expressing such desires; rather, I was using myself for the sake of example (e.g. "If I were to do X, would it mean Y?").

It seems you misinterpreted what I was saying, there. I thought my writing was pretty obvious and straightforward.

But whatever. If I am in danger of damnation, it is clearly not because of what I decide to wear on Friday nights.
[/collapse]

Our conversation is drawing to a close. You have displayed little to no interest in commenting on, nor addressing points I raise. And you say the Bible is true, but provide nothing to give anyone justification to believe you, beyond saying things like "the Bible is true", or saying that "the Bible is factual" without demonstrating how that is the case. This is not a debate; it is prosetylization.

Of course, I expected as much, given your initial posts. Yet I attempted to debate in good faith with you, as that's a courtesy I'd extend to anyone out of principle. But you don't seem to want to debate in good faith, either; you don't seem to want to debate at all. Which is fine. But it means your time will be better spent outside the Debate Hall.

I am interested in inquiry and investigation and accuracy. When I inquire, and when I investigate, the Judeo-Christian package fails to meet the standard that any truth should meet. I would ask you if maybe I'm doing this whole inquiry thing wrong, but you hardly seem an authority on inquiry and investigation, given your posts.

To conclude, let me state for the record, and for your reference, what I actually think about cross-dressing:

[collapse=ON CROSS-DRESSING, FOR REAL]
Cross-dressing, gender-bending, transexuality, and related things have neither positive nor negative moral value. Only actions have moral value. Deeds, words, behaviours. If these things are never expressed in the actual world, then for all intents and purposes, they exist in a vacuum as unexpressed potentialities, and so cannot possess any moral quantity or quality.

Clothing can't have more value. It can only have moral value as a function of the way it is used by persons. Same for make-up. Same for shoes. Same for accessories. The only way such things can possibly have negative moral value is if they are used for unrighteous purposes (e.g. strangling someone with my shirt).

This is also why skin colour, eye colour, ethnicity, sex, hair style, body type, and other superficial traits have neither positive or negative value. Does having green eyes make someone a good person? A bad person? Does wearing a skirt make someone a good person? A bad person?

If thoughts and impulses and desires are never expressed as actions, then they cannot create consequences. You can never know what a person is thinking or desiring until and unless they act upon it. Otherwise, no harm nor benefit is incurred on anyone. Therefore, the locus of morality is not on what kind of person you should be (virtue ethics), nor what external duties you are supposed to uphold (deontology), but the consequences of actions (consequentialism).

And under a consequentialist ethic, which I hold to, cross-dressing has neutral moral value. It is therefore neither good or bad to do. Whether a person does or does not cross-dress neither entails any negative moral consequence.

What is wrong to do is to limit the autonomy of other people. If a person wants to dress a certain way, and I restrict their choice against their desire and will, I am violating their autonomy. So while cross-dressing in itself has neutral moral value, to ban or disavow cross-dressing for those who do wish to engage in cross-dressing does constitute a moral wrong. And this is why cross-dressing is not only permissible, but should be permitted, legally and culturally.

Cross-dressing, transexuality, gender expression, public nudity, sexual orientation (homo, bi, pan, non, etc.), polyamory (and non-traditional families and/or relationships generally)... this consequentalist ethic permits a wide number of things. And it can all be justified through logic, reasoning, and evidence.

This is what I hold to be the most rational and reasonable state of affairs -- a conclusion reached through inquiry and investigation (and reasoning).
[/collapse]

Well, this seems to be the end. I imagine you will probably read this post and:

-Try to address my questions by citing Biblical knowledge;
-Tell me I am confused/deluded/influenced by Satan, and should seek Christ to free myself from these shackles;
-Say that I am engaging in sophistry because I gain delight in sinning and in opposing God;
-Conclude with a block of text warning me to save myself before it is too late, and that you are rooting for me to find my way to Christ.

I say that I expect this because these are the only things you bring to the table, which in debate is insufficient. Consequently, I am not interested in the latter three -- since they are not relevant to debate -- and I may respond for your response to my queries, but not much beyond that. If you decide you want to engage in debate by addressing my points and pointing out their flaws through use of logic and reasoning (and Biblical authority -- once you demonstrate that authority is worth anything), then we can get a real discussion going. Otherwise, this will mark the conclusion of our discourse.

Have a good day, then -- and this, because it's nice when people have good days. 8)
Jeez. I never realized I could influence someone to write an entire essay describing their objective view on the world and morality. I truly am honored. I'm not gonna read that because I don't care enough nor find you intelligent enough to make any points I haven't already pondered. Plus it's WAY too long and there's way too much effort put in there than there should be. Also your writing style is terribly uninteresting. Though I support everything you believe and hope you keep believing whatever that may be and I am happy I produced people to philosophize a little bit. Sayonara guys, it was fun.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Jeez. I never realized I could influence someone to write an entire essay describing their objective view on the world and morality. I truly am honored. I'm not gonna read that because I don't care enough nor find you intelligent enough to make any points I haven't already pondered. Plus it's WAY too long and there's way too much effort put in there than there should be. Also your writing style is terribly uninteresting. Though I support everything you believe and hope you keep believing whatever that may be and I am happy I produced people to philosophize a little bit. Sayonara guys, it was fun.
I write essays all the time in the Debate Hall. It's kind of my defining trait 'round these parts, as other DH regulars will no doubt attest (to their lament, I'd expect).

Concerning your passing critiques:

-You don't need to find me intelligent. Because it's not about me; it's about the arguments I present. An argument is an argument, regardless of who presents it. And whether an argument stands or falls can only be determined if you investigate and analyze.

-I put in as much effort as I deemed necessary to get my points across. To cover all the nuances, I had to devote a few paragraphs to each point. But the length of a post doesn't matter. Short or long, what matters is the content.

-And if you find that I write dryly, it's out of the desire for clarity. Better to write more than you need, than not enough and risk misinterpretation or not capturing the full nuance of a point. You may say that I should nonetheless be more concise -- and believe you me, that is a skill I'd like to develop. It remains that in online debate, you only have the text. Best explain yourself clearly, then.

I totally acknowledge that not everyone has the patience nor time to engage with long posts. But the thing is, it's not just about you and me. This is a public forum. Our posts are now public record. I explain myself in depth not only for your benefit, but for anyone who comes in this thread and chooses to follow along. You may not care much for that, but perhaps others do, and so I extend these prospective spectators that courtesy.

This exchange was "fun" inasmuch as I was able to write (for I love to write), and to exercise ideas and points. You may not have been the most charitable partner, in the end, but you at least provide a good sounding board.

...So, back to the topic at hand. Cross-dressing harms precisely no one, and there's no reason that cross-dressing should be legally banned or culturally shamed. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht Believe it or not, I've read every single word of that "bible-length" post (no pun intended... Okay, pun intended).
...So, back to the topic at hand. Cross-dressing harms precisely no one, and there's no reason that cross-dressing should be legally banned or culturally shamed. Anyone have thoughts on that?
I find it to be a gross double standard when people think of men in dresses when they think of cross dressing as a negative, yet everyone seems perfectly fine with tomboys who dress in a T-shirt, jeans, boots, etc. What's the difference between a man in a dress and a woman wearing a wife-beater with ripped jeans? Not that I see anything wrong with tomboys mind you, but I find it strange that no one bats an eye to a woman in "men's clothing", while a man is treated with such ridicule should he wear stilettos.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Personally I had him picked out as a troll given the complete lack of content on his posts and low post number, lack of commitment adds to that I believe.

I have an objection!

I argue that you do not go far enough, cross dressing should be encouraged!

I argue that gender roles are, as a whole detrimental to society, therefore I argue that the encouragement of activities which subvert this gender roles is beneficial to society as a whole, the benefit being gradual erasure.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht Believe it or not, I've read every single word of that "bible-length" post (no pun intended... Okay, pun intended).
I appreciate your tenacity. 83

And indeed, perhaps we can start considering my longer posts outright Apocrypha. XD

I find it to be a gross double standard when people think of men in dresses when they think of cross dressing as a negative, yet everyone seems perfectly fine with tomboys who dress in a T-shirt, jeans, boots, etc. What's the difference between a man in a dress and a woman in a tank top with ripped jeans? Not that I see anything wrong with tomboys mind you, but I find it strange that no one bats an eye to a woman "men's clothing", while a man is treated with such ridicule should he wear stilettos.
I imagine this is what they mean when they speak of patriarchal norms. Society being skewed toward the male (or the masculine), such that it's fine if a woman presents herself in what is considered a masculine manner, yet people cry foul if a male presents themselves in a feminine manner. The male is dominant, the female is subservient. So it's alright of a woman leans to the male, because that is what is to be aspired to. But for a man to lean to the female is to undermine the image of masculine dominance. And you can't have that, or else you risk upsetting the norms currently in place.

Which is, naturally, unwarranted. Are current gender norms and attitudes warranted, or justifiable? If not, then we should do away with them. Or at the least, not give them any credence.

There may also be a purely aesthetic element at play. Both men and woman tend to look good in tuxedoes, but not all men can pull off a dress meant for women. This is because dresses tailored for women account for female proportions -- the curvatures of breasts and larger hips and the like. So when men where female-oriented dresses, they aren't wearing dresses that necessarily took their proportions in mind. And it does admittedly look off, sometimes (though if a man wants to wear female-tailored dresses, by all means).

It would be interesting, therefore, to start seeing dresses and more extravagant clothes tailored for male proportions. At galas and red carpet events and the like, practically all the men wear nothing but suits and tuxes, and it's always the women who get to wear the colourful and fancy dresses. Maybe you can have fab togas and robes to start diversifying the masculine fashion portfolio -- both for glamorous events and everyday wear.

I also think that capes and cloaks should become more fashionable for all sexes and genders. But that might be beside the point. ;)

Personally I had him picked out as a troll given the complete lack of content on his posts and low post number, lack of commitment adds to that I believe.

I have an objection!

I argue that you do not go far enough, cross dressing should be encouraged!

I argue that gender roles are, as a whole detrimental to society, therefore I argue that the encouragement of activities which subvert this gender roles is beneficial to society as a whole, the benefit being gradual erasure.
A troll may be a troll. But if we don't treat them with courtesy, then how can we say we are any better? :emmysubmission:

In any case, I have no objection with your proposal. I do think the baseline should be that it should be allowed, for those that want to engage in it. But I suspect that were that to transpire, you'd start seeing an increase in such activities, and gender roles and norms would start to erode in a snowballing effect. Now that it's fine to dress how you like, what about how to present yourself? What mannerisms to adopt? What kind of relationships one can have? And so it gains traction from there.

Lysergic

Smash Cadet
I write essays all the time in the Debate Hall. It's kind of my defining trait 'round these parts, as other DH regulars will no doubt attest (to their lament, I'd expect).

Concerning your passing critiques:

-You don't need to find me intelligent. Because it's not about me; it's about the arguments I present. An argument is an argument, regardless of who presents it. And whether an argument stands or falls can only be determined if you investigate and analyze.

-I put in as much effort as I deemed necessary to get my points across. To cover all the nuances, I had to devote a few paragraphs to each point. But the length of a post doesn't matter. Short or long, what matters is the content.

-And if you find that I write dryly, it's out of the desire for clarity. Better to write more than you need, than not enough and risk misinterpretation or not capturing the full nuance of a point. You may say that I should nonetheless be more concise -- and believe you me, that is a skill I'd like to develop. It remains that in online debate, you only have the text. Best explain yourself clearly, then.

I totally acknowledge that not everyone has the patience nor time to engage with long posts. But the thing is, it's not just about you and me. This is a public forum. Our posts are now public record. I explain myself in depth not only for your benefit, but for anyone who comes in this thread and chooses to follow along. You may not care much for that, but perhaps others do, and so I extend these prospective spectators that courtesy.

This exchange was "fun" inasmuch as I was able to write (for I love to write), and to exercise ideas and points. You may not have been the most charitable partner, in the end, but you at least provide a good sounding board.

No matter how much you investigate the matter you can never change subjective perceptions. No matter how much information you provide or how many ideas you ponder nothing can disprove or approve what is right or wrong. You will never be able to prove the Bible is fact or fiction because you will never be able to gather enough evidence in this physical realm. If you have to write essays to discover or prove this obvious fact than I feel sorry for you. I never said you weren't intelligent I just stated you probably aren't intelligent enough to provide some life changing philosophical insight on why the Bible is or isn't viable. In the end you can deny the Bible completely and live your life freely and in the end there won't be a heaven and hell and Christianity may be entirely fiction. Or you can die and go to hell due to not believing Jesus Christ and the Bible. It's all about faith and while the Bible's teaching seem unlikely due to scientific discoveries and historic documentation you still can't prove it's impossible.

You're belief is as viable and meaningful than the average strict biased Christian's belief. It's all subjectivity and this debate is nothing more than that. It's an argument of people trying to convince one another their own fictional subjective ideology is the correct one. Completely pointless. In the end do you really think it is worth arguing about if it's okay if some boy wants to dress up in nothing but pink Hello Kitty clothing or not? It's amazing how all these "open minded" people get so butt hurt when one Christian shares his simple ignorant religious belief on the matter. Thanks for helping me with my philosophy paper, this trial was quite interesting nonetheless. Keep up the essays Sehnsucht I really do think your on to something. You should write a book one day; I bet it will be a best seller.

Good day ladys, gentlemen.. and everyone in between

THREAD OWNED by Lysergic

Last edited:
Top Bottom