• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crossdressing in public

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Boys Don't Cry. If anyone cares, it's one of the best portrayals I've seen on film surrounding this issue.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Don't get it twisted though, as there are trans men and lesbians (including the stereotypical "butch" lesbians) who are persecuted just for being trans and homosexual respectively. We don't hear about it as much as we do the oppression of gay men and trans women, but the discrimination is still very real and very widespread in areas with radical conservative/religious/bigoted people.
Oh I'm not. I am mostly speaking about this thread. THere hasn't been any discussion of them at all in here really.

DeliciousDarren

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-3664-3412
This may be a bit off topic, but the thread has got me curious.

For those who cross dress, why do you do it? I'm interested.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Finally more trans people enter this debate, and we finally get a transman's side. I often feel that side of the community is completely forgotten when debates like this are started because exactly what he said. Femininity is seen as a negative and Masculinity is seen as a positive in general society.

More trans people is exactly what is not needed for such a debate. Anyone who's committed to being transgender is extremely biased on the subject. Further more, I see constant distractions from the topic, going into how tans people are discriminated against to try and win people over with pity rather than actual arguments.

I sum this up as I do all other debates on this sort of subject.
Do what you want, but
1. Leave me out of it
and
2. Don't shove it in my face. It's just rude.

I won't support you in what you're doing, but I ain't no hater.
But couldn't crossdressing in public be construed as not leaving others out of it?

Jellydino

Smash Cadet
For those who cross dress, why do you do it? I'm interested.
I don't do it actively, but I do it once in a blue moon for fun since I apparently have a "great female voice". It's kinda fun though, it kinda gives off that sense of liberty where I feel like I can do whatever I want without being judged(not gonna lie though, women's clothing is a bit tight when it comes to form fitting, but it's kinda comfy and breathes well). I'm not into the whole drag scene and I have nothing against those who do, mostly due to the fact that I know a few people who do it and the person who shaped me into the man I am today from a afterschool program was a open crossdresser.

To answer your question: As far as my knowledge goes, it is a form of freedom like I said prior. It gives most people that sense of liberty and joy that others get from other things. Some of them like drag because it's fun to dress up. One of my friends who crossdresses says that he really enjoys it because it allows him to be himself via a costume change, another says it makes him feel super pretty when he does it. The constant between most of the "why do you crossdress" topics seem to stem from crossdressers doing it because it makes them feel free and they have a good time. It seems to have the same aspect of role-playing where they love to act and pretend to be someone else once in a while. The same adviser from the afterschool program I was talking about told me that for him, he gets to be who he wants to be and nobody can tell him otherwise. It was also that he said he didn't want to get surgery to become trans when he could be himself without having to visibly be a her. I don't know if I can touch the M-rated aspect of this, since im unfamiliar with this site and it's ToS towards that type of speak within the Debate hall.

Take this as you may since it's purely anecdotal evidence, but I hope this helped to enlighten you on the topic of crossdressing.

SexyUnicorn

Smash Rookie
More trans people is exactly what is not needed for such a debate. Anyone who's committed to being transgender is extremely biased on the subject. Further more, I see constant distractions from the topic, going into how tans people are discriminated against to try and win people over with pity rather than actual arguments.
So you're saying that a straight, christian man that has extreme bias towards the opposite spectrum has no say in the argument? Everyone has a point and a right to speak there mind. What if gays weren't allowed to speak for gay rights? Also, that is a huge generalization. Not all trans people are going to do that. I'm trans, and just because I am doesn't mean I do any of the things that you think I would. We are all individuals with our own personalities, not just trans or "*******" or whatever the fudgenuggets you want to call us.

But couldn't crossdressing in public be construed as not leaving others out of it?
No it couldn't. There is such a thing as freedom of speech, even if it makes someone feel uncomfortable it shouldn't make them stop doing it. And I don't think that's what he meant anyways. I wouldn't go up to a straight guy and give him a lap dance unless I wanted to for some reason and he gave his consent, which i think is more along the lines of what he was getting at.

Braydon

Smash Ace
So you're saying that a straight, christian man that has extreme bias towards the opposite spectrum has no say in the argument? Everyone has a point and a right to speak there mind. What if gays weren't allowed to speak for gay rights? Also, that is a huge generalization. Not all trans people are going to do that. I'm trans, and just because I am doesn't mean I do any of the things that you think I would. We are all individuals with our own personalities, not just trans or "*******" or whatever the fudgenuggets you want to call us.

Right, I'm gonna start calling you fudgenuggets now.

He agreed to be addressed as fudgenuggets, you all saw it.

Anyway fudgenuggets, the thing is, I wasn't the one who said we need more trans people to debate this, I was the one who said we don't. So no, I'm not the one against a christian man with extreme bias saying why he will not accept crossdressing. @ AZ_Spellbound AZ_Spellbound was the one who wanted a particular group of people in the argument. (notably ones that would be biased in favor of crossdressing.)
No it couldn't. There is such a thing as freedom of speech, even if it makes someone feel uncomfortable it shouldn't make them stop doing it. And I don't think that's what he meant anyways. I wouldn't go up to a straight guy and give him a lap dance unless I wanted to for some reason and he gave his consent, which i think is more along the lines of what he was getting at.
Freedom of speech in no way protects you from, or is intended to protect you from peoples judgement. They have the freedom to dislike and shun you for what you do in public.

Spooks

Smash Rookie
NNID
JohnSpooks
Not something I would do. If you feel comfortable doing it, so be it

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
I have never cross dressed, but I have put on eye liner. I have no problem with anyone gay or straight. (I know you dont have to be gay to cross dress but im just saying) A person is a person. I dont care what race you are or anything. Just as long as your not a jerk, I could not care less about what you do that has cross dressing or anything. would not do it, but I see no problem doing it.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
A study suggests that those who are repulsed by anything LGBT could be closeted homosexuals themselves. People who are fire and brimstone against cross-dressing more or less falls into this same category. Let's face it, hatred and bigotry is nurture, not nature, and is often used as a means for control for reasons beyond even my own comprehension.

http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=4040
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/homophobes-might-be-hidden-homosexuals/

Perhaps those who are against cross-dressing due to the supposed connection it has to homosexuality and/or transsexuals ought to evaluate themselves and ask exactly what it is they're afraid of. If one is confident in their sexuality, why fear or hate something that has no effect on you?

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
There's nothing wrong with it per se, but the only problem that I can see with public cross dressing is that it can cause confusion between the people who are just doing it and the people who are Trans. This confusion being the prevalent bathroom situation. Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
There's nothing wrong with it per se, but the only problem that I can see with public cross dressing is that it can cause confusion between the people who are just doing it and the people who are Trans. This confusion being the prevalent bathroom situation. Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem
The only problem with this, is that cross dressers do not identify themselves as the opposite gender, so a cross dressing man wouldn't really (or at least shouldn't) be interested in using the women's restroom. That said, I can see the argument, since I'm sure there are a some jackass cross dressers who would (whether intentional or not) further worsen the image trans people have in the conservative eye.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
The only problem with this, is that cross dressers do not identify themselves as the opposite gender, so a cross dressing man wouldn't really (or at least shouldn't) be interested in using the women's restroom. That said, I can see the argument, since I'm sure there are a some ******* cross dressers who would (whether intentional or not) further worsen the image trans people have in the conservative eye.
Yeah. Cause it's a tough time for them right now.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
For some reason men don't seem to have that same luxury as women. Girls can dress like guys and no one bats an eye but when a guy dresses like a girl they're relentlessly picked on, no doubt history plays a part where something like that was seen as "unmanly" and still holds true today.

I don't judge people in that way, I mean if a guy wants to dress that way why should I care? But that's just the world we currently live in.
Just wanted to leave this.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
This topic is long so I admit I haven't read all the posts, but the initial ones and the latest ones but I'll throw in my two cents.

I think it is okay to cross dress in public if that is something that you enjoy. I wouldn't cross dress myself, but if I had friends or family who like to do that I would still go out in public with them.

Of course it is situational. If we were going some place that we needed to dress up, I would be annoyed at any non-transgender person cross dressing. I would also be annoyed at anyone that came in jeans and a t-shirt though.

pkbutter

Smash Rookie
I love so many of the supportive posts here. Clothing is clothing, it's a form of expression, personality, and in some sense, evolving culture. In history, royal men and boys would wear gowns of expensive cloth. It expressed their class and symbolized a culture where that was normal and appropriate. It is now 2015. We have reached a generation where gays can marry freely, we're still slowly fighting for all of our rights in countries like America, and LGBT finally have a supportive community, yet people are butthurt about men dressing femininely? Where are the outraged people complaining about the tomboy heart throb Ruby Rose? If heterosexual or homosexual men/women want to wear clothing of the opposite gender, let them. Who are you to dictate their lives, judge them, or harm/insult them for feeling comfortable with who and how they are?

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, crossdressing shouldn't even be a concept that exists. There's literally no reason that men shouldn't wear dresses. It's just kind of a silly result of time that men can't wear dresses because that's the way that it is.
Women started wearing suits cut for women a long time ago. Where are the dresses cut for men?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Honestly, crossdressing shouldn't even be a concept that exists. There's literally no reason that men shouldn't wear dresses. It's just kind of a silly result of time that men can't wear dresses because that's the way that it is.
Women started wearing suits cut for women a long time ago. Where are the dresses cut for men?
You do of course realize that at least one category of crossdressing (drag) exists explicitly to lampoon gender norms, right?

In the broad sense you're correct, but the only way for that to ever happen is for cross-dressing to be acceptable to the point that it's no longer considered worthy of comment.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I don't mind cross dressing. I've seen a few people do it, and it's all right. As long as they are not nude, I'm fine with pretty much anything. Personally I wouldn't do it, maybe some kind of fancy historical clothes like this here: http://i.imgur.com/VdTRdrx.jpg But I don't feel ready yet.

I don't see what's so fun to dress with feminine everyday clothes, but to each their own. (And I doubt anyone here feels like dressing like me lol) But seriously, cover your "deep-skin" in public, it makes so many people uncomfortable. Mostly breast-feeding. (At least cover with a cloth or something)

Last edited:

Esphas

Smash Rookie
clothes and appearance shouldnt have genders. thats all i have to say on the matter

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
I personally don't mind if people cross-dress. It shouldn't be really frowned upon since it's different sadly enough but I personally support Cross-dressing. People can do what they want.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Wear what you want, if it feels good go with it. Who cares if transphobic people dislike it?
I'm 100% comfortable with my gender as a man, but I wouldn't mind trying on a dress sometime.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
You can do whatever you like. I wouldn't do it but I won't judge anyone that does.

Top Bottom