• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Hello people. I would appreciate if some experienced Fox players could give my Fox some critique/insight. I would like to get my Fox to the level of my Falco. So with the advice I get from people. I'll try to apply that to my game.

Here are a couple of matches of my Fox to give you guys something to work with.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECzKB2Cv5P0&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l1LNPxMLlDQ&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tb2xEUPTo7c

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BCScptjoTM0&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RKKbrL1FL4k&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yFDQGWYHyjk

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Haha thanks for the compliment. But my Fox is far from perfection.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
/Not good enough to comment...
/tries anyway....

try waveshines>nair on marth/ samus
you try to shine spike really early, sometimes, just wait a few frames, to see how they react, then go out there.
Waveshines are overrated as an approach.
If you shffl into someone's shield, but just barely, try waveshining away (maybe into a forward smash towards)
Sometimes, the usmash is a good edgeguard against Illusioners (since they'll either be holding towards for the side-b, or up-towards for normal edgeguard DI) with bad DI, they'll often die really early (with good DI, they'll still be off stage).
Where were the Smashwalks? Why do you think fox is top tier?

PS - have any advice against Falcon? (plz comment in the falcon trouble thread here, thanks).

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Ah. That set against X2X, happened at LTEC2. I remember him coming home telling me about it LOL. Yeah I'm definately not good enough to critique a Fox of that calibur.

However, as a general rule of thumb against Sami who like to Up B a lot (X2X is known for it) just go for the arial, and immediately shield. If you hold it too long, Move out of the way, but most of the time, they'll immediately up B. Then just follow them down. be careful if they're moving towards a platform, as you might misjudge whether or not they decide to fall through it or not.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I only watched the first 3 matches. Even though your match with Lambchops was close, Lambchops seemed to be on fire and you handled the pressure exactly the way a Fox should.

Your Fox seems to know what to do given certain situations and character match-ups. It's a textbook Fox with above par mindgames. Plus it's hard to critique on matches were your Fox doesn't make many mistakes or if it does, it's an obvious slip-up.

I'm sure you can break this down yourself, especially with KSN. What's your worse match-up(s) with Fox and why? Basically approaching your Fox's weakness and strengthening them is your best bet to making your Fox as good as your Falco.

P.S. Are you and your bro suppose to be moving into Maryland? If so, good shiiiit.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Thanks for advice people. Thx Scotu, I think I'll start using upsmash to edguard too. For some reason when I think of edgeguarding while playing I only do things like shine, or an aerial. I need to try different options.

And InfernoOmni, those matches are the only ones I have of my Fox. And yeah we were supposed to be moving to Maryland. But I don't think so anymore because my mom might be able to get a job down here in florida. But thanks for the advice man.

And since I don't really have any vids of the character match-ups I'm bad in. I'll just tell you.

I'm not that good vs Samus with Fox.
I'm not that great vs Jiggs either.
I'm descent vs Peach...

And I'm descent in Fox dittos.

If anyone has any advice for these character match ups. That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to the people that have tried to help me out so far :urg:.

Because I notice that almost all the pros have a great secondary character. Some even have like 4 great characters. So I know it would be good for me to get other characters so I can get them up to par with my Falco.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
against jiggs i like to find a nice comfortable corner and just hit up that fetal position and cry till the set is over.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Rofl, I really don't know much to do vs Jiggs other than camp in a corner with lasers. And try to get in an upsmash or hit their shield without getting grabbed. Or always DI.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
W/ Jiggs, it's always about the laser game. I usually like to usmash out of shield, but that'll never work on a jiggs you might be playing against (i.e. a good one). Note that Fox's Bair (sweetspot) wins against all of Jigg's aerials, and trades w/ the pound. Against peach: i dunno, it's one of my better matchups (except that i always lose), but i like to drillshine. Alot. So much that the peach in my crew can SDI a single drill kick in reaction to me using it. But most peaches aren't like that. Drillshine>drillshine>nair>nair (if DI wrong)>usmash = god combo. Works on Samus, marth, any floaty waveshinables.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
if they miss a rest shoot lasers for about a second then dair, jab(if they're to high don't do it) grab uair

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I was under the impression that fox couldn't uthrow>uair jiggs past some low % (like 15/20) if the Jiggs DI's correctly. If you Drill kick, she's going to know to DI correctly. In General, it's best to just laser>usmash. If she's at 30-35%, she will die. (stage dependant %s)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
be different than all the foxes but one, don't short hop

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I just saw vs. marth and vs. samus, I saw you did the nair to shine combo a lot of times Uh.. I like your fox (nair>shine>nair>uptilt>upair?) and pillar with dair instead of uair ^^ remember they can buffer the shine and roll if you try the shine>grab

All_Characters

Smash Apprentice
I feel guilty critiquing you, because you are better than me, but there are still a few things I saw.

... ok I lied. I only saw one thing. And that's that I think you didn't JC your grabs. Very useful, especially when ur chain-grabbing.

takieddine

Smash Master
I've watched all the matches carefully...

here are my pointers:

Fox V. Falco:

You were a bit too hasty with recovering (with the < B). At times you were wall hugging too much trying to tech hits.

Def. CG more. Or uthrow usmash if you don't have enough time...

Fullhop Nair out of shield will beat pillaring if you jump right after he dairs.

Try to predict when he's not firing a laser, in which case you shuffle approach/ start a thunder's combo.

I liked your platform maneuvering and pressuring into shine spikes against forward.

Fox V. Marth:

It didnt seem like you were playing seriously...but drill shine into grab uair uair is too good, especially on YS.

V. Samus:

Laser camp the crap out of her, jab her missiles, and make her approach you.

Grabs..uthrow, just get her in the air and keep pressuring high priority bair.

Finally...Drillshine to usmash.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Thanks for the help guys. And I didn't know that the Jab canceled a missle lol. And yeah I should recover better. I notice sometimes when I am Over B'ing too much, or when I can do something else.

Smashmen

Smash Cadet
Cool videos Shiz u got a nice fox, ur shines r soooooooooooooo fasts!
Keep smashing

Keep kicking PC-Chris *** :laugh:

sexysanta73

Smash Apprentice
I feel guilty critiquing you, because you are better than me, but there are still a few things I saw.

... ok I lied. I only saw one thing. And that's that I think you didn't JC your grabs. Very useful, especially when ur chain-grabbing.
Um, I'm pretty sure DSW already knows about Jump Canceling.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
actually yeah i did notice something. incredible amounts of pointless multi shines leads to victory especially between stocks. psyches them out makes them think "holy **** im playing against dashizwiz wtf do i do.". ok well that would work on me anyway.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
actually yeah i did notice something. incredible amounts of pointless multi shines leads to victory especially between stocks. psyches them out makes them think "holy **** im playing against dashizwiz wtf do i do.". ok well that would work on me anyway.
Rofl.

And to SexySanta your right. I do know how to JC grab and stuff. But I think where that guy pointed out. I think I was messing up and not jump canceling my grabs.

Thanks both of you.

takieddine

Smash Master
Super agro will only go so far. At high levels of play patience is a must...I guess Falco can be an exception, but we're talking about fox here...

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Usually only vs certain chars I go super aggressive because I know I can overwhelm them. Like if you notice in the vids vs the Falcos I play slower because you don't want to mess up vs Falco or else thats a free 70 dmg combo(If they are good at comboing, which Forward and Lambchops are). But against characters like Peach, Jiggs, possibly Samus(It depends, if its Phanna I have to play slower).

I try switching up my style.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
You switch your style depending on your opponent... that's the way of a real pro

SCOTU

Smash Hero
You know who taught me to multishine? well, you don't know him, and he can't do them himself, and mains Ganondorf. but i was doing like 5-8 of them within the first 45min of knowing the correct hand motions.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
Uhh, I guess you jump too much, both of you were just jumping around for some time in the matches.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you gotta jump or you'll be jumped

SCOTU

Smash Hero
that's not really off topic. He wants critique, and here's mine: You're too **** good. I think you should work on your being bad-ness. Na, i'm just kidding. Shiz's fox is one of my fox idols.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
You've got a nice Fox from the match I saw (the first one, only saw one because of my crappy internet). About edgeguarding with upsmash (the sweetspot) works wonders sometimes against falco (once they are on % to fly off the stage of course). Ftilt work wonders too.

You've got the tech skill down. Just got to work with that other stuff that it's called experience (spacing, punishing accordingly, camping etc.) Maybe you have that down too... can't say much of just one match.

About the match, shining lasers is not a bad idea against Falco. Also I noticed you always got up on your first stock with a getup attack. I nice thing I do sometimes is just plain stand, wait for the enemy and upsmash accordingly. Just giving you more options to consider. ;)

PS. I heard you played against my partner H@wK (the Falky guy from Puerto Rico) in the Gigabits tournament held like a month ago. I heard you 2 stocked him. Nice.

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
One thing I noticed in the first vid is that when you ledge tech Falco's dair into a walljump, you used Fox's up+B again to recover. This little moment of pause gave the Falco enough time to time the dsmash to hit you out of your recovery. Try recovering with the side+B instead every know and then out of the ledge tech walljump. It's harder to punish. But don't use it all the time or it'll become predictable. There were also times when you could have killed the Falco with a simple ledge hog but instead, you just stood there letting him get back on (would like to know what you were thinking).

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Well DaShizWiz taught Silent Wolf how to Multishine and then Silent Wolf today taught me how to Multishine, so DaShizWiz THANKS FOR TEACHING SILENT WOLF SO HE CAN TEACH ME HOW TO MULTISHINE! lol:)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I taught DaShizWiz how to double laser >_>.

Top Bottom