• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Critique my Pikachu" Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
(Idea from DK boards)

There has been an alarming number of threads recently about wanting people to critique their pika (mine included), so i think that we could make one big thread that can be the go-to place when you want your matches critiqued. However, having people who aren't extremely active critique you isn't the best thing to do. So, i propose that we, the pikachu's vote for they trust the most to help them with their mistakes/blunders in their playstyle. The top 3 will be the main panelists and there will be 1 alternate in case one of the judges wants their pikachu critiqued. Anther WILL NOT be a judge because he isn't active enough on these boards, so don't bother voting for him. To vote, send me a PM listing 3 pikachu's you want to be judges, and in 5 days i will tally up all the votes and give the results. Then, this thread's sole purpose will be to critique videos of pikachu players.
Ussi said:
I think a list will just give new pikas a good idea on who will be good to listen for advice though. Cause someone could try to critique and say something completely wrong.
Not saying that only the judges will be allowed to critique, but I just want to get a staple 3 (and alternate) who will critique every time. If one of the people voted to be a judge wants out, the next runner up will be chosen.

VOTING ENDS WEDNESDAY NIGHT! GET YOUR VOTES IN BEFORE TIME RUNS OUT!!!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
i like the idea. Cause now it'll keep the boards more clean. Have you seen, there are like 5 threads on this within the past 2 weeks or so.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Sounds too elitist to me.

There are more than 3 knowledgeable Pikas on this board. Saying that only three are smart enough to critique people is not cool.

Veng

Smash Ace
Even if some one isn't a good Pika player, they could still be as knowledgeable as Anther is about Pikachu.

Even then, there is more then 3 pikas that play well on these boards anyways.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
WHy would there be bickering? We are trying to help them, its not like we are saying ":52, you suck stop playing." Also, kaylo, i didn't mean to sound elitist, i just wanted the pikas that everybody trusts to critique them.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
WHy would there be bickering? We are trying to help them, its not like we are saying ":52, you suck stop playing." Also, kaylo, i didn't mean to sound elitist, i just wanted the pikas that everybody trusts to critique them.
your DK's been critiqued esam

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
even then there will stil lbe bickering. perhaps it will work perhaps it wont. i just have a feeling it will go down in flames.
it probably because of the bickering we are just having 3 pikachus the COMMUNITY CHOOSES to critique everyone.

@ESAM There are 3 types of people who play pikachu (Or hell smash in general):

1. Older guys who retain their love for Pikachu (Or character)

2. Females

3. Bratty kids who like to spam crap out of people <- they will bicker

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Anther isn't active enough to be one of these panelists though. If you want, vote for stealth and bear, but PM me it so i can veryify it.

your DK's been critiqued esam
Yeah i saw it, thanks

Well this threads already proven to be full of bickering and spam.
Ok...but once the judges are chosen there will (hopefully) be less. Other pikas are allowed to critique too, i just want a solid 3 that will critique every time and that people want them to critique.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Well, i think we should just try and see what happens with just 3 pikas. We can add more if we want to. Its not a set in rule. Its just what we are starting with. Big groups fall fast when starting out.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I would prefer not to vote for yourself, i didn't and ussi didn't. You can vote from now until wednesday night. I will tally the votes after school thursday and edit the OP with everything.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I think this idea is silly, but I'll PM three names anyway.

Also, I'm saying right now that I'm going to continue critiquing people whether I'm on this "special list" or not. And if that means my opinion -- or anyone else's -- suddenly means less because I'm not on some panel, that's a load of bull****.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
People should listen to all advice given, but if there is a discrepancy between a panelist and a non-panelist, the panelist will normally win because THE COMMUNITY OF PIKACHU's trust them the most

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
KayLo I'll take your critique to heart like anyone else's. Lets just hope everyone else is like that. I think a list will just give new pikas a good idea on who will be good to listen for advice though. Cause someone could try to critique and say something completely wrong.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
When this is all sorted out, make a new thread which will be stickied and from that point on I will lock all individual threads asking for critiques.

I also vote for myself.

Because I obviously am a highly skilled and talented Pikachu player.

;)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I said you can't vote for yourself, and im not taking votes unless you PM them to me. Srsly.

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
LOL. Okay. Why does there have to be only 3 people on the list? The more people the better! Yeah, but really, the list should have at least more than 3 people because a lot of people on these boards are active and give good advice.

Dont forget. God loves you =]

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the previous sentiments. I think that it's a bad idea to be singling out members as somehow more equipped to critique than other members. I understand that anyone can critique, but simply by mentioning that some list of Pikachu players are the "voted judges", you're immediately introducing the feeling that they are somehow more worthy of judging than anyone else - even if that's not your intent.

I really like the idea of having one main thread for critiquing, but I wholly dislike the idea of choosing some number of members as being "better" than others.

That's my two jolts, at least.

Meow.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Everyone gives good critique, we are just having the community pick the 3 pikachus they want to represent everyone.

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
No one is worthy enough to critique except Anther. And since Anther cannot critique either, then I guess this whole Critque Thread just died.

:laugh: End

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I agree with the previous sentiments. I think that it's a bad idea to be singling out members as somehow more equipped to critique than other members. I understand that anyone can critique, but simply by mentioning that some list of Pikachu players are the "voted judges", you're immediately introducing the feeling that they are somehow more worthy of judging than anyone else - even if that's not your intent.

I really like the idea of having one main thread for critiquing, but I wholly dislike the idea of choosing some number of members as being "better" than others.

That's my two jolts, at least.

Meow.
QFT.

Everyone gives good critique, we are just having the community pick the 3 pikachus they want to represent everyone.
Did you read what he just wrote at all? Just making a list is automatically making it seem like some members are better than others, and while this may be true in terms of playing skill, that doesn't necessarily mean those same people give the best critiques.

Think like a new Pika. You post your vids, and on the OP it basically points to three people, saying in not so many words that these are the only people whose opinions you should value. Oh, you can listen to other people, but they're not as good. You could miss some very valuable advice with this method.

Also, I prefer to represent myself, thanks.

I'll tell you now, I had a very hard time coming up with three names. Most of the best Pika players aren't very active, especially not enough that I could count on them to critique every new player who comes through.

On top of that, better player =/= better critiquer. I've seen some good players give horrible advice because they just play well on instinct and/or have a hard time putting into words what others should do better. Or they play a certain way and think that EVERYONE should play the same way they do, which is incredibly false, especially with a versatile character like Pikachu.

I guarantee this idea will fail for one reason or another. Either the three "chosen ones" won't keep up with critiques, or it'll just end in flames when the list finally comes out. But. Whatevs.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
at this rate this is gonna get burned down ~_~

KLo, we are just looking for the best critiquers as in who does the best job at it.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I like the idea of a big Pikachu video critique thread. I dislike the idea of Pika Panelists, despite the awesome alliteration that entails.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
KayLo! said:
Did you read what he just wrote at all? Just making a list is automatically making it seem like some members are better than others, and while this may be true in terms of playing skill, that doesn't necessarily mean those same people give the best critiques.
If the whole pikachu community votes on people to be panelists, then that means that the community trusts those people the most to critique. IDC if you vote for random *** people who suck, votes are votes and i don't honestly care if you people don't choose the best ones, because i'm not the one who wants my pikachu critiqued (for the most part) but i would rather NEW PIKAS that want THE BEST ADVICE OUT THERE to come here and turn to THE PEOPLE WHO THE COMMUNITY OF PIKACHUS voted for to be the best critiquers

KayLo! said:
Think like a new Pika. You post your vids, and on the OP it basically points to three people, saying in not so many words that these are the only people whose opinions you should value. Oh, you can listen to other people, but they're not as good. You could miss some very valuable advice with this method.
You are assuming too much. When in the OP it says the panelists are these three people, it is saying that THE COMMUNITY OF PIKACHUS have voted that they are the MOST TRUSTED in the community to evaluate videos, whether they be the worst, best, or somewhere in the middle of their actual skill level.

KayLo! said:

I'll tell you now, I had a very hard time coming up with three names. Most of the best Pika players aren't very active, especially not enough that I could count on them to critique every new player who comes through.
As you said, best players aren't best critiquers necessarily. Pick the names (technically you already did) who you trust the most out of active pikas.

KayLo! said:

On top of that, better player =/= better critiquer. I've seen some good players give horrible advice because they just play well on instinct and/or have a hard time putting into words what others should do better. Or they play a certain way and think that EVERYONE should play the same way they do, which is incredibly false, especially with a versatile character like Pikachu.
So vote for the people who you think can give the best advice overall, regardless of the person is good or bad.

KayLo! said:

I guarantee this idea will fail for one reason or another. Either the three "chosen ones" won't keep up with critiques, or it'll just end in flames when the list finally comes out. But. Whatevs.
When it messes up you will be the first to know. Until then, don't bring it up

M15t3R E

Smash Master
ESAM please let this silly idea die.
There is no reason for "Pika panelists"- everyone is worthy enough to critique other people's Pikachus.
And everyone will, despite not being a panelist.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I DON'T CARE IF THE NON-PANELISTS DO OR NOT!! I just wanted at least 3 people who will ALWAYS critique you, whether it be in-depth or vaguely (don't do blah so much). The point is trying to help, and you guys not even letting it go through a trial period is ****ing bull ****. Give it a chance. If it doesn't work, you told me so, but at least let it happen. ****ing **** monkeys

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Point is, new Pikachu users won't know who is a panelist when they're looking to be critiqued. Nor will they give a crap whether someone is a panelist or not. It's the advice that matters. Non-panelists will outnumber the panelists and often, as a whole, give better advice than the panelists.
The idea of panelists is completely, 100%, utterly, not useful or necessary.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
ESAM, I think I get what you're saying. You are saying that no matter what, at least 3 good pika players will critique you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom