• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Costumes: Reflecting playstyle and a state of mind?

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
OK, the basis for this is personal experience and some cultural background.
Color is a principal in Feng Shui, and the concept is: Colors effect mood. Such as red causes irritability, and blue causes a calm, serene state of mind. Keep in mind that painter's also take into consideration what colors to use based on how it will make people feel about the painting, and for the mood it will convey.

Ok, so when you're in a slump, have you ever noticed how changing costumes seems to make you play better? Well I think it's got something to do with us.

For example:
Hanshin Ness uses the colors yellow and black: It seems to relate to things like "Hazordous", or "Rapid" see if playing as Hanshin makes you feel more inclined to play a little rash, and pick up the pace a little.

Fuel Ness is red yellow and white: It seems when I play as this style it makes me feel like using PK attacks more, and I get frustrated faster.

Blueberry Ness uses blue mostly: This makes me feel a little more calm, and seems to affect my playstyle in the manner of me being more analytical and perceptive. It also seems to be the costume I predict the best in.

etc. etc.

Please don't disregard this as a nutjob conspiracy, please share your thoughts and opinions, if this happens to you, and if this seems reasonable.
Please, go ahead.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Fuel Ness is red yellow and white: It seems when I play as this style it makes me feel like using PK attacks more, and I get frustrated faster.
Wut. That's how I feel when I play Ness. I always use Fuel Ness too.
True fax. :O

What's the green Ness and black Ness's Feng Shui? :)

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
OK, the basis for this is personal experience and some cultural background.
Color is a principal in Feng Shui, and the concept is: Colors effect mood. Such as red causes irritability, and blue causes a calm, serene state of mind. Keep in mind that painter's also take into consideration what colors to use based on how it will make people feel about the painting, and for the mood it will convey.

etc. etc.
Well, sure.
This is all roughly true.

(Actually, indulge me: What claims does Feng Shui make that are actually disputable - I mean, something that goes beyond just paying attention to Human life?)

I find myself unable to pick a non-blue costume for some characters. It's actually what repels me from Wolf, whose blue costume is slightly overdone. Similarly, I wish Ganon had a costume with a purple cape but still the dark armour.

I've been experimenting with blueberry Ness, though, and find I don't like how restrained the colours are. Blue Ness makes me feel depressed whereas the Red Ness is happy and picks me up, like he should.
(Bumblebee Ness needs more than two colours, I hate *all* green costumes, and Saturn/Emo Ness... doesn't look like Ness. Fuel Ness is just ugly; Ness is supposed to have strange (striped) clothes.)

Other exceptions are Samus, whose Varia suit is awesome just because it's SHINY :laugh:, although I would have picked her Gravity Suit if it were less saturated - if it looked more like it does on Brinstar in the low illumination.

And of course I love Blue Falco, Purple Zelda, and Lavender Link. God how do people stand to look at Gold Link, let alone find him the popular pick, I don't know.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
I only use regular and Saturn Ness.

I honestly play much much better with Saturn Ness for some reason, while the regular is my fun Ness. This used to be the opposite a few months back.

Other exceptions are Samus, whose Varia suit is awesome just because it's SHINY :laugh:, although I would have picked her Gravity Suit if it were less saturated - if it looked more like it does on Brinstar in the low illumination.
I like the Dark Suit :p. Possibly must be because of playing MP2. :confused:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I can't remember who it was I was losing to, but I chose Hanshin Ness soon after and started to win. I don't know what that was about, though. I stick with Young Ness, though beecause I like the color blue. I hardly ever use Fuel.

ChozoAce

Smash Cadet
Red Ness: i use pk thunder alot more (simna)
Fuel Ness: i use aerials alot more (EB360)
Blue Ness: i use pk fire more and go for pillar spike more (Cazcom)
Green Ness: i never use him the only person i see that does is chrono
Purple Ness: i use yoyo more and im very careful: (NeoMagic)
Yellow Ness: i use ground attacks alot more (me back then in my noob day)

this is for lulz

The.End

Smash Cadet
I use Blue Ness when i play 1v1 because i find it's more of a lucky color/favorite color
Black Saturn Ness, I often use in free for alls.
Red Ness/Original: 2v2s.
Different gametype = different color.. that's all =|, nothing feng shui, just gametypes.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Nah, not for me.
Bumblebee/Carrot Ness for me.
Only because I like the color combinations.

Earthbound Zero

Smash Journeyman
I actually do tend to play a bit more aggressive when I play Red/Original Ness...

I started to play Veggi Ness today, I and noticed I started to be a bit more careful. I might play Veggi Ness a bit more often after reading this.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I focus more on aerials when using Bumblebee Ness (bumblebees fly, I dunno), and PKT2 when using Saturn Ness. Dunno, just a state of mind. I'm neutral with standard-colored Ness, and I never use the others (just not to my tastes.)

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
...I think this thread is one giant mindgame.

Everyone's associating different costumes with different playstyles because someone brought it up. Now that it's been mentioned, people are going back and their brains are looking for ways to make this scenario fit. The mind can be a tricky thing. Power of suggestion is indeed powerful.

Man of Popscicle wins the award for greatest mindgames, hands down. Yep, I got this whole thing figured out.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Actually, Neon Ness, you may be right. D: I don't know, though. Color could affect the way one plays. Not as in how their style works, but how well they do. As I said before, I use the Young Ness color scheme. Even with that particular color, I still play the same way. I do both aerial and ground game. I figured I should do this because being all aerial or all ground or just relying on projectile to win can get quite predictable.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Not really, dude.
I'll just stick with Bee/Carrot, like I usually do. :laugh:
... but if I play Hanshin, I'll win more...
Thanks a lot, Popsicleeeee. D:<
-mindgamed-

xoxokev

Smash Lord
I don't think costume color affects playstyle or states of mind; but I do believe that you play better in the color you use the most, simply because you will play more games with that color, therefore increasing your chances of playing well in that color.

BombermanFanatic

Smash Cadet
Any little thing can affect state of mind and playstyle. By playing the same color all the time, your mind will make associations naturally. It's slight, but it can make a connection between muscle memory of button input and the color of your character. Especially so if you focus your eyes on the enemy (like you are supposed to be doing). Your character will be just a color in your peripherals. If you use a different color your mind won't necessarily make the same associations. It's probably very slight, but it can be there.

On another note, if you try to look for differences, the data will be skewed. It is true that different colors can have diffrent effects on the mind. People have been reserching it for years. But if people change costumes on purpose and conciously look for differences, they won;t find true data, just like any experiment. The only way to really test this is by recording a player who has no idea of what the study is.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Well I main the blue Ness and use him like....always. Im not afraid to camp my oponent or do small hit and run tactics or spam moves, and I always try my best to keep calm. Thus, blue ness is the one for me.

Of course Ill also be super aggresive sometimes if the occasion calls for it.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Feng Shui, eh?

In that case, I'm Red Ness on the right side of the stage, Yellow on the left side, and Green when I get spiked.

The saturn shirt is a lucky AND spotlight item, so I can wear that wherever I want.

Bobbery

Smash Apprentice
I'm incredibly picky about character colors :X
I've tried all of Ness's colors, and even tried to switch from bumblebee.
But I can't. There's something about it.
Bumblebee is too good.

also smash journeyman lol

Meccs

@Meccs_
I only play as normal Ness, but that's only because I don't like playing as character's that aren't actual things from games (such as Saturn Ness, but I'll use, say, Fire Mario, or Claus). IDK why, it just feels really weird to me... maybe I'll try green Ness cause I totally see how this could work, and he looks pretty cool...

andayt

Smash Cadet
i can only play well with certain costumes (mostly blue) when playing as whoever

i think colour=preference mood has an affect on these things also if your like me always using the same colours then use a different colour as the same character vs the brawler+character then your game goes out the window (my example; bee ness 2stocked by ganon, saturn ness 3stocked ganon)

colour is everything espically if your a visual learner it tends to affect you more, colour exicites the mind =P

Neon Ness

Feng Shui, eh?

In that case, I'm Red Ness on the right side of the stage, Yellow on the left side, and Green when I get spiked.

The saturn shirt is a lucky AND spotlight item, so I can wear that wherever I want.
Your Animal Crossing references are superior to every post in this thread.

Kudos.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
lolanimalcrossing.
The name is so misleading.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Lol I got the AC reference.

Cant say I've actually felt a difference though, but I have read articles on it. Doesnt red make you fired up and blue make you calm? Then by logic, red would be a top tier costume. Black I hear makes you sleepy (which shouldnt be good in a match). Yellow makes oyu feel energetic IIRC. Green and white idk.

I read up on this article once about colors effects on people. They said that all colors have both a positive effect and a negative effect if there is too much exposure. For example, while red makes you fired up, too much can cause irritability. I've even heard that colors can have effects on you without you even seeing them O_o
Experiments were done on blindfolded people who were left in a room all one color and results WERE found.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I know I usually play with saturn ness and occasionally if I forget to change I may play a bit off. But It usually isn't too much, and I think its more than I'm more confident with the saturn costume. However I wouldn't put the colors affecting playstyles down, considering I'm going to school for graphic design and they state the same thing for color theory.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I can't really disagree with this theory. I used to play a crazy and fast green Ness, but then I switched to black and I started to play a little slower. Smarter, but still slower.

Lizard

Smash Ace
I started off with Bumblebee, and as i got better, i switched to Blue.... purple would be my next choise....

Maybe purple is the ulitmate form of Ness Perfection?

Jarrod159

Smash Cadet
i always go green and orange. i mean that is the epidomy of 90s fashion and also green is my favorite color. the only one i dont like is the new emo costume. could have made a much better one. i wanna see ness with a smaller version of michael jacksons costume from beat it. then ness would **** and get all the ladies.

Neon Ness

i always go green and orange. i mean that is the epidomy of 90s fashion and also green is my favorite color. the only one i dont like is the new emo costume. could have made a much better one. i wanna see ness with a smaller version of michael jacksons costume from beat it. then ness would **** and get all the ladies.
Hoo my, I don't think we want a little 13 year old running around ****** ladies.

Also, black =/= emo...

FuPoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SplashWoman
I've always played the normal Ness in 64 and in melee but now I use Mr. Saturn Ness in brawl.

So far I've had 6 friends tell me that Ness was "meant" for me. The reason is 'cause my original RolePlaying characater that I created since I was in early middle school, has Purple hair and Black jacket/coat thing.

If I don't play as Mr. Saturn Ness, I'll go back to normal default.

Top Bottom