• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Corrin Social - Still Fire Emblem Social

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I got the imported version a while a go with the hopes of patching it but I goofed and did the update when I unboxed the 3DS. :'V So now I just read the translations in a doc alongside playing the game. I guess the good part is that I can use both systems for castle battles

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I personally think there is a little of sense behind the weapon triangle.

The sword is the fastest of the three main weapons and the axe is the slowest, so is very possible that in a real situation a sword will have an advantage over the axe, the axe on the other hand will have an advantage over the lance because this one, generally, have a wooden handle that the axe can easily break, lastly the lance will have an advantage over the sword because is longer by a decent amount (so the sword will have a "reach" problem).

This is my personal view of the the weapon triangle.
And then you involve smaller axes and they can catch some swords meaning axes are superior. :p

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
For the weapon triangle i can see why
Sword>axes swords are quickly and precise, and axes strong and hard to hit
Lance>sword for a weapon with the design of a sword i can see a long weapon destroying it
Axes>lances axes are strong, and if a weapon long as lance miss, they will be a mercy of be one shot by a axe (that unlike sword focus in OH enemies)

The new now

Tomes>bow and axes the classes that seems of axe users (fighter barbarian) don't look smart so a magical thing destroy it, for bows they're in same range, but a tome like a fire tome can destroy the arrow and go kill the user
Sword>bow see the axe >lance thing but, the fast sword user will do 200 hits before even the archer get out of range killing it
Lance>tome see the lance>sword lance are long so in theory he could hit the mage when he is summoning the spell
Shuriken>tome shurikens are quickly as the users so they would simple spam it when the mage is charging (like a sheik camp)
Bow>lance bows have in teory the same range as magic, but i can see it hitting for afar as lancer could never touch a bowman without damage (except oboro, she would kill him)
Axe and bow>shuriken They have high damage, enough to kill a ninja in one hit (sorry i could not think anything here)

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Man, I don't why I bothered taking a hike on GameFaqs. Nothing but a cesspool of scum and villainy there that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and curiously it's always the same toxic users I keep seeing there spreading vile which probably means that there is some truth when people say "hateful but vocal minority" and when others talk about the "silent majority".

You guys are in for a treat regarding Fates, it's easily one of my fave FE games.

Also have you ever wondered how real life warfare would be if they were like FE gameplay? Soldiers would only be able to move a limited number of steps per turn, then they have to wait until their enemy spends their turn moving/attacking, jets would remain suspended in the air at the end of the turn, etc.

Last edited:

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
In 3 days I'm going to be jumping into the inferno with:
'
Everything I've typed below in spoilers you've most likely already heard, so just ignore those parts if you want.

I find it somewhat ironic how almost the entire Fire Emblem franchise has centered on heterosexual re
As a fan of the greatest nagitata user ever, Oboro, I can assure you that a lance beating a tome is everyday knowledge. Also, the lance is the least brawny type of weapon per say, and I think IS used Brain over Brawn, and maybe a Lancer is branier than Magic. I don't know

(Groans in Increasing Discomfort)
lationships, and no one bats an eye. The first game IS decides to add LGB characters, the game immediately got labeled as homophobic and took a while to clear up the mess(mostly). Though that can be argued with the popularity spike through Awakening. However people were so impatient they did that whole fan translation, and didn't even give Nintendo the chance to localize their own game. Which resulted in people crying about the skinship "removal", then the alteration of it. Heck, some people refuse to buy the game at all because of the "censorship" the game has, whether it's because they hate how Nintendo "listened" to the people complaining, or its just the people complaining about the changes in general who won't "buy" it. Pretty sure someone a few days ago already said it, but most likely all these idiots running around will most likely still buy it. Though I think that Nintendo might be a bit faster with their localizing now, they are still taking a while to completely grow used to modern day media.

Then there is the whole 3 games thing that happened. People were upset that they were charging for all three of them at their current retail price despite the fact that they would cost a little over half of what the regular game costs. Essentially, you only need one game to enjoy Fates. All the other ones are optional, just optional with major differences instead of Pokemon levels of differences. They effectively made 3 games, charging for the price of two for all of them, and people were ticked off at the start. Honestly kinda surprised people didn't see Revelations coming a mile away. 2 games with diverse casts of characters are most likely going to have fans who like both sides, so it was pretty bluntly obvious that there was going to be a 3rd path, in regular Pokemon fashion.

W̶a̶i̶t̶.̶.̶.̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶p̶o̶k̶e̶m̶o̶n̶?̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶V̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶V̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶!̶ ̶

A bit strange to look back 3-4 years later, looking at New Mystery of the Emblem and how niche Fire Emblem was during those days. Most people back then only knew Marth, Roy, Lyn and Ike. Now we've got this whole opera house talking about how "Fire Emblem is dead" and people straight up calling it "Waifu Emblem", and not in the insulting sense, in the sense in how they ACTUALLY view the game series. Just look up online for a while, and that is the most prevalent feature some entire circles of people will talk about. I joined with the newcomers through Awakening, so I can understand the liking of the characters to a certain level, just not THAT high a level. Then there are the elites who refuse to stop talking ill about the new games because they don't like how they are the most popular in the series despite the fact that there favorites were Japan exclusives from over 15 years ago. And I for one am REALLY looking forward to Conquest, cause I really want to get a feel for that old school FE gameplay.

Stated I was going to keep away from any and all Fates news and I have, but the current topic kinda got the gears turning in my head again. I'm not upset at all just incase I came across that way, going to buy all 3 versions, going to buy all the dlc, have all 4 amiibo with Roy on the way and hoping that he gets in through later updates. I'm feeling spoiled like no other. All that stuff I just wrote was supposed to be in a light hearted sense. In regards to those things I typed above, I honestly don't think a single one of those things I listed will put a dent in Fire Emblem's momentum. Which it shouldn't. But these 3 days are going to feel like those five minutes on Namek.

I'm actually going to start emulating the Fire Emblem games that aren't on the eshop, any recommendations on where I should start? I've heard FE4, 5 and 7 are most likely the best in the series, and while I do know a bit about all their stories, I don't know everything.

Well, just noticed I wrote an essay. At least my typing is finally improving.

Here, have an inappropriately placed comic

You should start with either FE7, FE8, or FE3. FE3 is actually two games in one: a remake of FE1+the actual FE3. FE5 has this stupid fatigue system which makes the game 10x more harder than its supposed to be. Only play FE5 when you've played most Fire Emblem games on hard mode or higher. Your gonna need that experience. Now that i think about it, the Jugdral game (FE4 and FE5) should be the last ones you play.

Yeah, the weapon durability always annoyed me as well. I understand that the weapon system adds another strategy element to the games by making it so that you have to use the correct weapon in the correct situation, but honestly it just makes me never end up using the weapon. I almost never used rare items like rapiers and the legendary weapons just because I am so scared of wasting these weapons and never being able to use them again.

Regarding the story, I just hope that the negative first impressions from most people stem from the fact that the game's dialogue wasn't properly translated. If the story indeed is worse than Awakening, then I will lose all hope in a future FE game having a good story. That being said, I've heard positive things about the stories of both Birthright and Conquest from people who have played the review copies, so it does seem like the negative first impressions stem from the incomplete and improper translation of the Japanese version.
Regarding the new weapon mechanic, i find it leagues better than the weapon durability system. Now i don't have to worry about weapons. At the same time, the game encourages you not to spam them because they may have debuffs. As for the story, considering that the three stories were praised in Japan, i'm guessing that it was the dialogue not being properly translated which caused the negative feedback from Westerners.

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
Man, I don't why I bothered taking a hike on GameFaqs. Nothing but a cesspool of scum and villainy there that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and curiously it's always the same toxic users I keep seeing there spreading vile which probably means that there is some truth when people say "hateful but vocal minority" and when others talk about the "silent majority".

You guys are in for a treat regarding Fates, it's easily one of my fave FE games.

Also have you ever wondered how real life warfare would be if they were like FE gameplay? Soldiers would only be able to move a limited number of steps per turn, then they have to wait until their enemy spends their turn moving/attacking, jets would remain suspended in the air at the end of the turn, etc.
Opinions, they can be good or bad, but when a person starts to over exaggerating is when I really start to not bother anymore.
You don't like the game? Fine, just don't start complaining with stupid excuses in any occasion you have.

As for the story, considering that the three stories were praised in Japan, i'm guessing that it was the dialogue not being properly translated which caused the negative feedback from Westerners.
I'm pretty sure the game will have a good translations, they're doing those changes for making the game more enjoyable for the west and, in any case, they usually always doing changes from the Japanese to the western version of a game, so I really don't see the problem.
The only thing I really don't know is why seems like everyone have discovered the translations changes with this game.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
And then I'll use a smaller sword which can catch the smaller axes!

:4robinm:Always three steps ahead :4robinm:
Ha! I'll fight you with my bare hands (while wearing gauntlets, greaves, and other armor) and catch your tiny dagger! :4ganondorf:

Last edited:

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Keaton sounds so chill. Also, English Marth.

The only thing I really don't know is why seems like everyone have discovered the translations changes with this game.
Can you clarify that? I got confused reading it.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Finally! We have Marth speaking English in an official game! Now he has to get English clips for the next Smash.
Wait........Code Name S.T.E.A.M isn't an official game? BTW, Marth spoke English in Shadow Dragon. But it was just text and no voice.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Official FE game where Marth has a voice. If they didn't change him after Shadow Dragon they won't do it now
Yeah, they won't. Marth will still speak Japanese in Smash Bros. It'll be a reference to his Japan-Only origins. Same goes for Roy.

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
Can you clarify that? I got confused reading it.
It was just a sarcastic comment about the translation changes.
My point was, why a lot of people complain about this game's changes like it was the only game "affllicted" by the localization, when this isn't the first nor the last game slightly changed due to localization.

Ha! I'll fight you with my bare hands (while wearing gauntlets, greaves, and other armor) and catch your tiny dagger! :4ganondorf:
You'll give me no choice!
I'll reduce even more the size of the sword up to make it small like a needle, I'll make more copies of it and I'll start throwing those "Needle-size swords" at you! :4sheik:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You'll give me no choice!
I'll reduce even more the size of the sword up to make it small like a needle, I'll make more copies of it and I'll start throwing those "Needle-size swords" at you! :4sheik:
Ha! As a Fighting/Steel-type, I'm resistant to your needles and I'll break them too! :4lucario:

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
Pfft.

Anyway, on second thought, I'll run Conquest as a Great Lord, meaning my Corn in my Nohr run will be a girl.

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
Ha! As a Fighting/Steel-type, I'm resistant to your needles and I'll break them too! :4lucario:
You're Fighting/Steel type can do literally nothing to my Fire/Flying type, prepare yourself to be burned alive! :4charizard:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You're Fighting/Steel type can do literally nothing to my Fire/Flying type, prepare yourself to be burned alive! :4charizard:
Hello, I am Water/Dragon type. Pleased to meet you. :4corrinf:

Also, I have a friend who is Water/Dark and has Protean. :4greninja:

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's not the first FE to have incest vibes lol
If you're talking about Geneology, that's entirely different. Rather than conflicting with the game's themes, that was one of the game's theme.
Two people being tricked into creating the ideal vessel for an evil dragon is very different from we see in Fates.

And if you're talking about Sacred Stones, than no. Just no. That's a matter of some fans mistaking the twin's familial love for romantic love, and as someone who's incredibly close to my own sisters, that absolutely sickens me.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
If you're talking about Geneology, that's entirely different. Rather than conflicting with the game's themes, that was one of the game's theme.
Two people being tricked into creating the ideal vessel for an evil dragon is very different from we see in Fates.

And if you're talking about Sacred Stones, than no. Just no. That's a matter of some fans mistaking the twin's familial love for romantic love, and as someone who's incredibly close to my own sisters, that absolutely sickens me.
Well, there was also the implied Eldigan x Raquesis. Actually, that was a sub-plot in the Genealogy of the Holy War manga.
Thankfully, it never reaches its peak because Eldigan gets rekt.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I like the new direction of fe minus how fan servicey it's become. Awakening had a lot of kinks despite being fun in it's own way, but I feel the overall improvements will make Fates what long time fans are looking for. Even Birthright, although it's more similar to Awakening, has mechanic changes primarily in pair up that I feel will keep up interesting to long time fans as well(I feel like it may be similar to Sacred Stones, actually.)

Awakening was fun in a let's see how much we can break it type way lol, I actually had a lot of fun making ny MU grossly overpowered. I got to the end of a classic Lunatic run using MU x Chrom pair upand it was a lot of fun, too many enemy spawns to beat the final level though among other things. I didn't have DLC either so I couldn't really gribd any character other than MUvia story units.

But yeah fan service aside I'm optimistic for the series now.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yeah, I'm trying to be more optimistic myself. I mean, there's just been so many improvements. And IS has even proven that they're trying to listen to fan feedback, which really brings me to hope that FE15 will do a better job at incorporating the fan service only where it belongs.
Well, there was also the implied Eldigan x Raquesis. Actually, that was a sub-plot in the Genealogy of the Holy War manga.
Thankfully, it never reaches its peak because Eldigan gets rekt.
Alright, I don't really know much about Genealogy, so I'm not going to talk about it. But depending on the circumstances, it might be something I expect or it might be something I don't like. I don't know.

A lot of what bugs me with Fates the that they go back on some of the story's themes and characterization to justify it. It's not that they are siblings so much as that they're supposed to see each other as siblings. Even if you argue "well s/he didn't know his/her Hoshidan siblings", at least Hinoka and Ryoma are supposed to remember them - Hinoka apparently became a warrior in hopes of rescuing them. I want to be able to take their relationship as siblings seriously, but I just can't as long as that S-support option is there.

Edit: I saw someone say Corrin has the approach game of Sheik.
That's just golden.

Last edited:

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
I actually want to talk about the fan-service in Fire Emblem. Aside from the Beach DLC, i really don't see a lot of fan-service. Here's what i mean: I don't see marriage as fan-service. The first game to ever have a marriage system, in terms of North American releases, was the original Harvest Moon. It wasn't considered fan-service. Every Harvest Moon (and Rune Factory) game has had marriage since. Now, i am well aware that Harvest Moon and Fire Emblem are two completely different series. But they both share something in common: They don't force the player to marry. The thing about marriage in Fire Emblem is that, when the Avatar marries, you get that cute little confession cutscene. I'm wondering if this is part of the fan-service people are talking about in Fire Emblem. Because if it is, then i don't see how. Its a cutscene that lasts for about 5 seconds. And then you never see it again unless you go to the support log. Additionally, the marriage system in Fire Emblem adds more emotion to the characters and the feels can hit you hard when one member of a couple dies (this applies mostly to Genealogy and Fates because you can't die from getting killed in Awakening). The child units also apply to the feels factor if they get killed during the battle meaning that the parents will have to live with the fact that their child was killed in battle (this applies to Awakening and Fates only because by the time of FE4's 2nd generation, most of the 1st generation is either dead or missing). Then there's the swimsuits. Umm, its swimsuits. I feel that swimsuits are only fan-service if you want them to be. You could play through the entirety of both Xenoblade games in your swimsuit (with Xenoblade X having an achivment for running around NLA in your swimsuit) and it wouldn't be considered fan-service. So Fire Emblem characters went to the beach. What do you expect them to wear, full armor? In the blazing sun on a tropical region? As for Camilla........this one's really hard to defend. I'm just gonna through this in here, even though it applies to Awakening and not Fates. The following is an excerpt from Youske Kozaki's page on the Fire Emblem Wikia: "Concerning some fans skepticism with the new Awakening designs featuring more eccentric dress and fanservice than previous games in the series, he commented that they were not designed with fanservice or sexualization in mind, and that it was the characters personalities that led to their design".

A lot of what bugs me with Fates the that they go back on some of the story's themes and characterization to justify it. It's not that they are siblings so much as that they're supposed to see each other as siblings. Even if you argue "well s/he didn't know his/her Hoshidan siblings", at least Hinoka and Ryoma are supposed to remember them - Hinoka apparently became a warrior in hopes of rescuing them. I want to be able to take their relationship as siblings seriously, but I just can't as long as that S-support option is there.
I see your point. I honestly wish they made the Hoshido siblings blood-related to Corrin. That being said, there have been stories of two people who consider themselves siblings, despite not being related by blood, and end up marrying in the end. This usually happens with two characters who have lost both their parents. A Fire Emblem example of this would be Sothe x Micaiah in Radiant Dawn. I'm not trying to change your mind (because honestly, i'm still slightly bothered by the fact that you can marry your Hoshido sibilings) but i am just trying to, at least, make it a little bit more bearable.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Off topic but I plan to use Dorf and Corrin on ese_gamings twitch stream this Sunday in tourney. Possibly Thursday too where Gunblade and Avalon are likely to show if so. Figured you guys may be interested, I love being an innovator and intelligent play so I hope it'll be hype lol.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I actually want to talk about the fan-service in Fire Emblem. Aside from the Beach DLC, i really don't see a lot of fan-service. Here's what i mean: I don't see marriage as fan-service. The first game to ever have a marriage system, in terms of North American releases, was the original Harvest Moon. It wasn't considered fan-service. Every Harvest Moon (and Rune Factory) game has had marriage since. Now, i am well aware that Harvest Moon and Fire Emblem are two completely different series. But they both share something in common: They don't force the player to marry. The thing about marriage in Fire Emblem is that, when the Avatar marries, you get that cute little confession cutscene. I'm wondering if this is part of the fan-service people are talking about in Fire Emblem. Because if it is, then i don't see how. Its a cutscene that lasts for about 5 seconds. And then you never see it again unless you go to the support log. Additionally, the marriage system in Fire Emblem adds more emotion to the characters and the feels can hit you hard when one member of a couple dies (this applies mostly to Genealogy and Fates because you can't die from getting killed in Awakening). The child units also apply to the feels factor if they get killed during the battle meaning that the parents will have to live with the fact that their child was killed in battle (this applies to Awakening and Fates only because by the time of FE4's 2nd generation, most of the 1st generation is either dead or missing). Then there's the swimsuits. Umm, its swimsuits. I feel that swimsuits are only fan-service if you want them to be. You could play through the entirety of both Xenoblade games in your swimsuit (with Xenoblade X having an achivment for running around NLA in your swimsuit) and it wouldn't be considered fan-service. So Fire Emblem characters went to the beach. What do you expect them to wear, full armor? In the blazing sun on a tropical region? As for Camilla........this one's really hard to defend. I'm just gonna through this in here, even though it applies to Awakening and not Fates. The following is an excerpt from Youske Kozaki's page on the Fire Emblem Wikia: "Concerning some fans skepticism with the new Awakening designs featuring more eccentric dress and fanservice than previous games in the series, he commented that they were not designed with fanservice or sexualization in mind, and that it was the characters personalities that led to their design".
1) Yes, I'd call the marriage in both games fan service. But fan service isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially when it makes sense in the context given. Swimsuits are also clearly fan service. The only reason the FE characters went to the beach in the first place is because of swimsuits.
2) Marrying the player character to someone is required if you want to get all the stages and characters.
3) I'm told that Kozaki designed the characters, but that he didn't design the different classes or how the classes dressed.

Fanservice is not inherently a bad thing. It just needs to stay where it belongs.
They went out of their way to make Corrin, and only Corrin, able to marry everyone but their own child. Why? Fan service. That's the only other explanation I can think of for Robin to be able to S-support Emmeryn when Chrom can't support with her at all.

If it weren't for fan service, Corrin would probably only be able to go to A rank with his/her siblings, the way Chrom could only A-rank Lissa. But IS knew that some people would want to pretend Camilla is their wife, so they decided that was more important than the game's story, themes and characterization.

If they made all the armor actual armor, and if they made Corrin unable to S-support his/her siblings, I wouldn't have any serious problem with the fanservice. A dancer exposing her leg is fine, it makes sense. But a character wearing metal armor that fails to guard their heart just so people can see their cleavage? Why even wear armor then? It just looks silly.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

I see your point. I honestly wish they made the Hoshido siblings blood-related to Corrin. That being said, there have been stories of two people who consider themselves siblings, despite not being related by blood, and end up marrying in the end. This usually happens with two characters who have lost both their parents. A Fire Emblem example of this would be Sothe x Micaiah in Radiant Dawn. I'm not trying to change your mind (because honestly, i'm still slightly bothered by the fact that you can marry your Hoshido sibilings) but i am just trying to, at least, make it a little bit more bearable.
I was summoned for the magic words.

Personally... Every time I saw something from Fates that isn't related with mechanics (... it most of the cases), I also saw fanservice.

Bath suits? Check (I'm not against it :p)
Armor/Attire that doesn't make sense just for the sake to show body: Check
Animestic archetypes: Check (I'm not against it if the character just use some of the archetype instead on be the full character).
Edgy-style: Check :v

You can marry all the people you believe they are your siblings... for the Kirito's sake! (Okey, this was a little exageration xD... But still... You can marry people that apparently are your siblings... just because they aren't your siblings... just because they want to explode the freaking fan-service mechanic).

Marrying is fan-service? A little bit.. But just for the chance to create "OTPs" in-game
BUT... Marrying with a character that suppose to be you? That obviously is fanservice... And even more when this isn't limited... Even when this can create weird things...

And no... Micaiah and Sothe love themselves like if they are siblings BUT... They know from the beginning that they aren't siblings.

Last edited:

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
1) Yes, I'd call the marriage in both games fan service. But fan service isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially when it makes sense in the context given. Swimsuits are also clearly fan service. The only reason the FE characters went to the beach in the first place is because of swimsuits.
2) Marrying the player character to someone is required if you want to get all the stages and characters.
3) I'm told that Kozaki designed the characters, but that he didn't design the different classes or how the classes dressed.

Fanservice is not inherently a bad thing. It just needs to stay where it belongs.
They went out of their way to make Corrin, and only Corrin, able to marry everyone but their own child. Why? Fan service. That's the only other explanation I can think of for Robin to be able to S-support Emmeryn when Chrom can't support with her at all.

If it weren't for fan service, Corrin would probably only be able to go to A rank with his/her siblings, the way Chrom could only A-rank Lissa. But IS knew that some people would want to pretend Camilla is their wife, so they decided that was more important than the game's story, themes and characterization.

If they made all the armor actual armor, and if they made Corrin unable to S-support his/her siblings, I wouldn't have any serious problem with the fanservice. A dancer exposing her leg is fine, it makes sense. But a character wearing metal armor that fails to guard their heart just so people can see their cleavage? Why even wear armor then? It just looks silly.
I respectfully disagree about the marriage. Are you sure IS prioritzed the marriage over the story and themes and stuff? Like i said before, the game isn't really forcing you to marry. Yes, getting married unlocks new maps and characters but that can just be viewed as a bonus. If IS did prioritze marriage over story, then there would've been a wall of sorts that prevents you from progressing until you marry. The only part here that i agree with you is with the Hoshido siblings. That actually feels like fan-service. That being said, i'm not sure if the Hoshido siblings were planned to be blood-related before that was changed or if they were never meant to be blood-siblings. As for the swimsuits, i agree with you....to an extent. For me to decide if its fan-service, it really has to depend on the when, where, and why. Like, if its something harmless like shirtless Shulk in Smash Bros (fan-service doesn't apply to female characters only BTW) then i don't consider it fan-service. It the characters are at the beach, i don't consider it fan-service. But if its just a swimsuit DLC costume that you pay 5 dollars for, then i do consider it fan-service. As for the armor........i really can't defend Camilla at this point.

I was summoned for the magic words.

Personally... Every time I saw something from Fates that isn't related with mechanics (... it most of the cases), I also saw fanservice.

Bath suits? Check (I'm not against it :p)
Armor/Attire that doesn't make sense just for the sake to show body: Check
Animestic archetypes: Check (I'm not against it if the character just use some of the archetype instead on be the full character).
Edgy-style: Check :v

You can marry all the people you believe they are your siblings... for the Kirito's sake! (Okey, this was a little exageration xD... But still... You can marry people that apparently are your siblings... just because they aren't your siblings... just because they want to explode the freaking fan-service mechanic).

Marrying is fan-service? A little bit.. But just for the chance to create "OTPs" in-game
BUT... Marrying with a character that suppose to be you? That obviously is fanservice... And even more when this isn't limited... Even when this can create weird things...

And no... Micaiah and Sothe love themselves like if they are siblings BUT... They know from the beginning that they aren't siblings.
Like with Zachmac, i'm gonna have to respectfully disagree here, at least on the marriage part. Corrin is supposed to represent the player. Shouldn't the player be able to choose who he/she wants to marry? That's why i don't see it as fan-service. The only exception to that is the Hoshido siblings (I wonder if the Making of Fire Emblem: 25 Years of Development Secrets book can provide insight on that). And this applies to any game that has marriage, not just Fire Emblem. Because its the player's choice to decide if they want to get married or not, i don't see it as fan-service. And yeah, i know about Micaiah and Sothe but i was just trying to make a point.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Are you sure IS prioritzed the marriage over the story and themes and stuff?
If they'll go back on prestablished characterization - that those characters are supposed to be family to Corrin - then yes, I'd say with absolute certainty that they let marriage options prioritize over the story themes and characterization.
Like with Zachmac, i'm gonna have to respectfully disagree here, at least on the marriage part. Corrin is supposed to represent the player. Shouldn't the player be able to choose who he/she wants to marry? That's why i don't see it as fan-service.
That doesn't make sense. That's exactly what makes it fan service.
Unless you're operating under an entirely different definition of fanservice than I am, which I'm really beginning to think you are.

...This is exactly what bugs me with Robin and Corrin. At times they're treated like their own characters, but at other times, they're treated like the player. Corrin has his own background, his own personality, his own pre-established background, but they'll go back on that just because s/he's the player character. They can't be both entirely the player and entirely their own character at the same time, and yet IS tries to make them that way.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
If they'll go back on prestablished characterization - that those characters are supposed to be family to Corrin - then yes, I'd say with absolute certainty that they let marriage options prioritize over the story themes and characterization.
That doesn't make sense. That's exactly what makes it fan service.
Unless you're operating under an entirely different definition of fanservice than I am, which I'm really beginning to think you are.

...This is exactly what bugs me with Robin and Corrin. At times they're treated like their own characters, but at other times, they're treated like the player. Corrin has his own background, his own personality, his own pre-established background, but they'll go back on that just because s/he's the player character. They can't be both entirely the player and entirely their own character at the same time, and yet IS tries to make them that way.
I probably am operating under a different definition of fan-service. Also this line: "They can't be both entirely the player and entirely their own character at the same time", that's actually a problem with JRPG Avatar characters in general. There are a few exceptions such as Cross from Xenoblade X.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
...If I ever start complaining again, you guys all have my permission to tell me to shut the heck up.

My opinions won't change, but now that I think about it, there really are better places to get my opinions heard by IS and Nintendo than here. I really feel like I am bringing the thread's mood down, and then I always feel bad about it.
I probably am operating under a different definition of fan-service. Also this line: "They can't be both entirely the player and entirely their own character at the same time", that's actually a problem with JRPG Avatar characters in general. There are a few exceptions such as Cross from Xenoblade X.
It just so happens that I loved how Cross was handled in Xenoblade X, so yeah. Other JRPGs ought to take an thing or two from X.

...I usually chose the silly answers when one was available.

Last edited:

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
...If I ever start complaining again, you guys all have my permission to tell me to shut the heck up.

My opinions won't change, but now that I think about it, there really are better places to get my opinions heard by IS and Nintendo than here. I really feel like I am bringing the thread's mood down, and then I always feel bad about it.
It just so happens that I loved how Cross was handled in Xenoblade X, so yeah. Other JRPGs ought to take an thing or two from X.

...I usually chose the silly answers when one was available.
Silly answers are best answers. As for the times you do complain, don't worry about it. We all have a right to complain.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You know, I can't recall a single time that my Mewtwo has lost to a Corrin player. I've lost plenty with Charizard, but still not a single one with my favorite psychic.

I'm sure that won't last forever, especially after more and more Corrin mains figure out the character. But if Corrin truly meant cheap wins, you'd think my Mewtwo would of lost to one by now.

Corrin may seem brain-dead to some people now, but that's because they're letting Corrin players use brain dead strategies. I mean, of course I'm going to land a Counter Surge if you start spamming Uair every single time you manage to get me about your head. Once more people start to figure out how to counter the manakete, a lot more thought is going to have to go into playing them.

Top Bottom