• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Correct a common misconception of your main

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Myth: Lucas is a worse Ness/Ness is a worse Lucas.
Truth: Shut the hell up about these two already! They're totally different! </irritated>

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Myth: Lucas is a worse Ness/Ness is a worse Lucas.
Truth: Shut the hell up about these two already! They're totally different! </irritated>
If you replace Lucas and Ness with Marth and Roy (from Melee) your argument doesn't work. Of course one is inherently better than the other. However, the game is too young to tell, and it's possible that they'll be very close.

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
Myth: Falco's kill moves suck

Truth: His kill moves aren't that bad really. He can cancel his dash attack into his Usmash which lets him extend his range with it. His Fsmash has a rather nice range and his Dsmash sends them at horizontal angle. His Bair is also really good at killing when its not diminished.

Myth: Falco's recovery sucks

Truth: His recovery is only bad when he ends up below the stage. When hes above the stage he will probably make it back with his phantasm and its not that easy to punish.

Percon

Smash Lord
Myth: Lucario has crappy damage until he reaches upwards of 100%

Truth: Couldn't be farther from the truth. Lucario does slightly above average damage even at 0%, and great damage at even 50%.

Myth: Lucario's recovery is easy to gimp

Truth: Lucario has invincibility frames during Extremespeed, -.-
Not to cause a huge argument... but Lucario does have really bad damage output at 0%. His fair does maybe 4% FRESH and his most damaging move does a paltry 11% FRESH at 0. He approaches average damage at maybe 65% and his cap is 170%... at which his fsmash does 1 more damage than Snake's Ftilt XD

He has ways of racking up damage, such as >B chains on some chars, but overall he's pretty bad, damage wise.

Also, his recovery is easy to edgeguard... it has a startup that's almost one second long, so if you know he's gonna use it (easy to determine), then it's easy to handle.

Also, it doesn't do any damage, so it's not like you need to watch our for it when ledgehogging.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Myth: Marth is really gay and it matters

Truth: Marth could pwn you, gay or not, and why does that even matter if he is. I've heard this way too much. Seriously, whoever says this should just shut up and wait for a Marth to pwn them.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Myth: All Meta Knight users spam Mach Tornado.

Truth: No good Meta Knight spams the tornado. It would make them very predictable and punishable.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
TL mains dont only use bair.
or always use bair to dair to kill.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Myth: Ivysaur's Bullet Seed isn't worth it.

Fact: Ivysaur's Bullet Seed is extremely powerful, racking up serious damage even with perfect DI. It's definitely a worthwhile move, especially if you start it with someone in the center of the barrage.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Myth: Olimar has the worst recovery in the game, and therefore shouldn't be higher in the tiers.

Truth:
Olimar has done very well in tourneys and he doesn't have the worst recovery, and if he did, it wouldn't matter as much as people think it does. If you're off the stage as any character other than MK, Pit, Rob, or Kirby, you should die. Period. You should get edgeguarded effectively as any character if your opponent is good.

Ivysaur and Sheik have the worst recoveries. Ivysaur doesn't fall very fast, he's floatier, and doesn't get as much of a boost as Olimar's tether does. Olimar's tether is also longer. Sheik's recovery distance isn't as long as Olimar's and doesn't have a hitbox where it lands. That means your opponent can just hang there unconsciously and you'll die. If you make it to the top of the ledge, your opponent can easily get back onto the stage and throw you off again before you can do anything.

Olimar has several ways to prevent him from getting edgehogged unlike ivysaur, shiek and most other characters can:
1.)don't use your double jump. If you don't ever use it, you can couple it with Olimar's good horizontal fall distance to get close enough to the edge to either recover without having to risk getting edgehogged or you can...(2-6)
2.)use fair or upair to deter defenders from hanging onto to ledge until you use upb.
3.)throw pikmin at your opponent and rack 30 damage if they don't get on the stage to knock them off
4.)hit them with a purple to knock them off the edge
5.)tether early with a purple or white pikmin to stagespike them and recover normally.
6.)use mindgames and predict when your opponent will roll from the edge. Ex. fall until the length of upb will latch after your opponent has rolled. If they don't roll soon enough, you can stagespike them and get an easy kill as you die.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Myth: Pokemon Trainer has the same metagame potential as the Ice Climbers had in Melee.

Truth: No, he doesn't. IC let you play as two characters at once, and they both had seperate damage meters. However, all of the Pokemon share the same damage, cannot be out at the same time, have HUGE lag after swapping out, and can only swap out in a set order.

Myth: Yoshi sucks.

Truth: You suck.

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
myth: you cannot escape from falco's chain grab.

truth: floaty characters like kirby and jigglypuff can escape on the 1st grab. air dodge with good timing to prevent from being grabbed again. trust me i've done it with kirby multiple times. just practice and you'll get the hang of it.

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
False: Lucas' Up Smash is his best kill move.
True: Lucas' Up Smash is a laggy attack that only hits noobs or in VERY situational places. Try his bair, f-smash, or d-smash instead.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
Myth: Mario sucks
Truth: Mario has a lot going for him.

1. He can do 2 aerials in one shorthop (first HAS to be AUA or ABA) so he can do semi-wall of pain or wall of pain.
2. Has good spam game and can use cape
3. Good aerial game
4. Seems to be best ledgeguarder in game.
5. Good recovery with use of fireballs, FLUDD, cape, and sometimes walljump.
6. Can duck under things like Falco's lasers.
7. Can rack up damage if you know what to do.

White Pikmin

Smash Journeyman
Fake: Random is bad, because you never know who your going to get

Random is better than every charater combined! Considering that it is everyone combined!

you also know stratagies for every charater

White Pikmin

Smash Journeyman
You main random? You're hardcore.

I always wanted to main Random, but I'm not hardcore enough.
not really random, but everyone

the reason why is because nintendo power magazine said that you need to know every charaters weakness'es, that way you know if your uair can beat their dair or not

but if i had to choose a charater to be my main besides everyone, it would be wario,with olimar as my secondairy

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i accidentally posted this in the wrong thread >_>

here it is:

Myth: sheik can't kill without changing to zelda

Truth: yeah, it's really HARD to kill with sheik... sometimes... on stage, pretty much you're only "kill move" is usmash, which is pretty impossible to hit people with because it's easy to dodge... but once you hit someone off the stage, the opponent BETTER watch out for fair, bair, vanish, and having the ledge stolen. pretty much 80% of all non-zelda sheik KOs are from edgeguarding with bair/fair, both of which have surprising knockback when placed properly.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Myth: Samus has no kill moves.
Truth: She ha-... oh wait. Never mind.
No really, though, she has her bair, dtilt, and fsmash (and dsmash, kinda). The issue with the fsmash is that it's too slow. The dsmash, too. The bair is good if you can sweet spot it, but you can set it up all you want and they'll just airdodge. The dtilt is the only viable kill move, and frankly, it doesn't kill at low enough damage by my standards.

Myth: Snake's broken.
Truth: He's not broken. He's just really really really really really really really really really really really really really good.

Myth: Bowser mainers in Brawl like Brawl Bowser over Melee Bowser.
Truth: I would say a good portion of Bowser mainers (who were also Bowser mainers in Melee, of course) prefer the Melee one. I know I do for sure.

Myth: Diddy Kong is nothing without his bananas.
Truth: While the bananas are a big part of Diddy's game, he has a whole lot else going for him. His dash attack has no lag afterwards. His fsmash is pretty **** strong. His fair is a great aerial, and his SHbair can almost WOP. His recovery is insanely good. Oh, and he can hump the other characters face.

Myth: Maining Random is good.
Truth: No, maining Random is awesome. Random is broken.
Actually, I'm trying to get there right now. I've spent decent amounts of time using: Pikachu, Luigi, MK, Snake, Diddy Kong, Bowser, Samus, Fox, Falco, Marth, Ike, Dedede, and PT (all 3 equally).

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Olimar's tether is also longer.
Ya, only if he has all of his pikmin.

Just today I was fighting against a level 7 Olimar and hadn't given him chance to get more than 2 pikmin, so i knocked him off with an fsmash, and then he double jumped and couldn't get back on because it was too short. you have a valid point that Olimr's tether is longer, but unlike Ivysaur's, it isn't always the same length, so that's why many people think that he has the worst recovery in the game, because his tether length varies unlike other chars' tethers.:)

@White pikmin: you get NP too! Chris Shepperd FTL

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Myth: Melee is better than Brawl

Truth: They're two totally different games, they just happen to have the same name infront of them.

You main melee?! Or do you main Brawl?!?
TEACH ME HOW PLXXX.

It's long enough after the release of Brawl now, so I assume the Melee vs Brawl war has died down. Of course, if we were at the peak of the argument's time, your one comment could have completely hijacked this thread and turned it into a debate of Melee vs Brawl.

Banzai_Kitten

Smash Cadet
Myth: Ike is easy to play as.
Truth: Timing is the basis behind Ike. If your timing sucks then your Ike sucks and you can be pwned easily, especially from fast characters.

Myth: Ike users spam Up B.
Truth: Only noob Ike's spam Up B. That move doesn't have much killing power. I only use it for recoveries (which suck by the way) and only when the timing is right. Once again, timing, key word for Ike users.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
If you replace Lucas and Ness with Marth and Roy (from Melee) your argument doesn't work. Of course one is inherently better than the other. However, the game is too young to tell, and it's possible that they'll be very close.
The reason this doesn't work with Ness/Lucas is because apart from their specials and Final Smash, their movesets are totally different. Roy was a clone of Marth, but Lucas only lifted Ness's specials and still managed to change them up enough to be used completely differently.

If Lucas wasn't from the same series as Ness, I'm sure no one would consider them remotely similar. (EDIT: And of course if his specials were renamed to remove the PK $element from them.)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
This was touched on earlier
Myth: snake has to use more than tilts to win.
Truth: in friendly matches and against some of his better matchups. good timing and spacing of tilts and snakedashes, and a triple a combe here and there really are all you need to win. I mean sure there is some timing and spacing that goes into abusing tilts but still....
and even in tourney matches, most snake games dont expand too far away from that method, so i implore snake mains to stop kidding themselves adn admit that their char is stupid easy, ****** strong, and on the very precipice of brokeness

Myth: Fox is a bad character.
Truth Fox is just like sonic in that he has a multitude of good moves but none of them are super spammable, so ppl think hes bad

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
Zelda is NOT a queen.
Zelda is a princess.

Someone say she is a queen. I dare you.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
was there honestly a point in saying this besides making people mad?
Let us break down my answer to my question and we shall ALL find great depth.

I proposed the statement in question, we shall call it X. Now, X states that Marth IS top tier. Now, of course, we all know that is false because Marth IS not top tier for that belongs to Snake and MK. So, thus it answers my question quite correct, for incorrect is out of fashion.

Now, the homosexual accusation defends statement X by attacking the proposed hypothesis on the grammatical structure. The verb 'is' used in X CLEARLY states that Marth 'is' top tier. Now, the quintessinal origin is not needed to know that top tier is not within the pixelated and defined make up to explain what Marth is and is not. But in the end, it replaced the proposed theory of Marth being top tier with the thought that Marth is gay.

No, it is only for making people mad.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
myth: jigglypuff is the worst character in the game

truth: samus and ganondorf are worse :O...no offense. jk. i do mean offense. or do i? (no, i don't)

Top Bottom