• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controls

Epic Kovumon

Smash Journeyman
I recently picked up Ice Climbers about a week ago, and I was wondering, are their any recommended control settings to use for ICs?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Default settings should be fine. GC controller is recommended as well.

Good luck learning chaingrabs. I hope you make a better job of it than I did...

Smoom77

Smash Master
This is quite random, but somehow I got with these controls.

z-attack
r-special
x-grab
tap jump-off

Don't really know how this helps me, but I love it. <3

Plus, this should be in Q&A, just for future knowledge.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Everything normal except I have no tap jump, and I use Y to grab.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Funny enough, one time I saw a "Lain" tag on someones wii and jokingly picked it.

Every button WAS set to grab.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't even jump.

Edit: the best option for IC users is to use a different button for grabbing (Z is terrible, even though I actually still use it). Everything else is to your preference.

lain

Smash Master
I used to think Z was bad to grab for, but I've grown used to it. I used to grab with the Y button, but now I just go straight normal controls.

LEARN TO USE TAP JUMP KAWAII DON'T B A NOOB

Prawn

Smash Master
the ****,

i use Z to CG and sometimes my finger gets mad achey. maybe ill start using something else

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
TAP JUMP SUCKS UR A N00B

<c
I'm going to have to go with lain on this one lol I play with all default. Tap jump is amazing. OOS is so easy :p.

LEARN TO TILT.

Prawn

Smash Master
I tried tap jump on for the first time in a while, it's good but sometimes you use you're double jump without knowing and then fail when trying to recover lol

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I just started using IC's about 2 weeks ago, and all default works fine for me.

Tap jump is the way to go :)

Teh Future

Smash Master
tap jump is soo dumb, I can't even play with it on anymore.

I only think Z is a bad button to grab with b/c it broke on my last controller. Maybe it was just a concincicincecdeince but prob. not lol I hit the button really hard for some reason when CGing

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i hate the feeling of pressing Z. its so small and it feels unnatural. R reminds me of the 360 controller. when i grab, it feels like i'm shooting.

honestly, though, your controls are based on your own personal preference. just use what you want. there really isn't a right or wrong way to do it.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I have a really bad habit of holding up on the control stick for whatever reason. With tap jump on, hilarity ensues when I waste a jump offstage. Without tap jump, I don't have to worry about that. I can also do UpTilt and stuff easier.

Z is too small and flimsy for me, lol. When I'm doing a chaingrab, I like to feel like I'm actually grabbing something. That's why I use my semi-stuck Y button, lmao.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
^ Pretty much this. I don't know why people hate Z, I think the feel of it goes well with the whole "be gentle" theme CGs have going.

GCN, Tap Jump OFF, defaults otherwise.

I don't know why but I can play Melee fine but Tap Jump screws me over so much in Brawl. It is a mystery. I could probably learn to play with it on but I cbf when I can just turn it off and not have to worry about randomly wasting jumps when I go to UAir or something.

lain

Smash Master
I have a really bad habit of holding up on the control stick for whatever reason. With tap jump on, hilarity ensues when I waste a jump offstage. Without tap jump, I don't have to worry about that. I can also do UpTilt and stuff easier.

Z is too small and flimsy for me, lol. When I'm doing a chaingrab, I like to feel like I'm actually grabbing something. That's why I use my semi-stuck Y button, lmao.
rofa does the same thing, he holds up all the time. needless to say it isn't the best habit :p

also, i hope the y-button isn't too sticky... i hate that ****. cg's need to be spot on!

come on kawaii, give regular controls a try.

swordgard

Smash Hero
rofa does the same thing, he holds up all the time. needless to say it isn't the best habit :p

also, i hope the y-button isn't too sticky... i hate that ****. cg's need to be spot on!

come on kawaii, give regular controls a try.

Is he ever gonna finish that smash documentary ?

Also, i hold up alot too XD. Regular controls are good but do restrict you on double b reversals and on a few particular desynchs.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Is he ever gonna finish that smash documentary ?

Also, i hold up alot too XD. Regular controls are good but do restrict you on double b reversals and on a few particular desynchs.
No they don't. I can do double b reversals fine.

It's called tech skill lol.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Tried regular controls today. UpAirs are somewhat easier to do, but I did randomly jump a lot. xD Z is still hella awkward to chaingrab with. There was a few time where I tried to grab and accidently jumped instead. @.@ Everything else is normal though.

Top Bottom