• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Controller / Button Mapping Advice Thread

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For those who use the Wii U Pro Controller, my control setup is as follows...

Note: Screenshot was posted onto Miiverse on 11/29/2014, but my control scheme today remains unchanged.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Stupid question, but can someone explain to me the merits of the gamecube controller? I wasted 40$ on this and the adapter and the controller has caused me nothing but issues do to the awful analog triggers preventing me from sheilding instantly.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Stupid question, but can someone explain to me the merits of the gamecube controller? I wasted 40$ on this and the adapter and the controller has caused me nothing but issues do to the awful analog triggers preventing me from sheilding instantly.
So it's basically because most pro smashers in brawl and smash4 come from a melee background, where GCC is the only choice. They're very used to it, and lots of other people see them using GCCs and assume that they must be the best controller. It's not a bad controller, don't get me wrong here, but it's not definitively the best.

IMO Wii U Pro controller is just as good as GCC. It's what I use personally, since the GCC is a bit too small for me and I hate the L and R buttons, but that's just personal preference.

And that's what it comes down to. Preference. If someone tells you that the GCC is objectively better than everything else, don't listen to them. Use what works for you.

You can also remove the springs in the L and R buttons to make them a bit better for you, maybe.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Keep in mind that controllers have to be broken in, and the triggers will move much more easily as you use the controller. The slight delay with the triggers becomes largely non-existent/meaningless after the controller is broken in. In general though, the reason players use the the GCN is that they're used to it. Also the C Stick is really convenient/fast to use compared to a larger analog stick which is actually really significant when you're using the second stick to do aerials or tilts/smashes.

pbjezgoud

Smash Cadet
NNID
PBJezGOUD
Hi i would like to get opinion on how to map my GCC. Right now i use

A: attack
B: special
X: grab
Y : ??? not using it ...
C-stick : attack
L: Jump
R: shield
Z: ?? i never use it ...

So basically i would like to know if there are 1 or 2 good use for Z and Y and if i should map R to jump and L to shield or it's the same thing.

thanks !
To be honest I use Shield grab more than anything (R + A). It's super fast!

Here's my mapping:

A: Attack
B: Special
X: Jump
Y: Unused
C: Tilts (Great for aerials really) Prevent over committing on fast falls.
L: Unused
R: Shield
Z: Unused

In my opinion, the unused buttons, aside from L, take to much to press, when in a battle of reads and timing. You can map them to anything at that point, but most likely will remain unused.

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
Hi smashboards,

watching EVO and most button setups have the x button as a grab. What is the benefit of this in game? why do they do this? Thanks. Also i have c-stick set to tilt attacks, but i never really use it, what is the advantage of having it set to tilts?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Hi smashboards,

watching EVO and most button setups have the x button as a grab. What is the benefit of this in game? why do they do this? Thanks. Also i have c-stick set to tilt attacks, but i never really use it, what is the advantage of having it set to tilts?
I set X to grab because most people find they are able to press a face button (ABXY) quicker/more effectively than they can press a shoulder button, so it allows for quicker grabs. Tilt-stick is used for tilts out of perfect pivots and being able to c-stick your aerials without losing air momentum.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I set x to grab originally because I use z-jump. (Makes pivot upsmash, egg slide toss, and many other techs much simpler) But after getting used to it, X is overall better as grab imo. The reason being that it's just as crucial as attacks and specials, with the same general time in useage while grounded.

So it gives you a more accessible option select out of dash or landing between your attacks, specials, or grab all with one thumb. Making reactive pivot grabs overall easier since you don't need to prepare both your index finger AND thumb to do the input, just your thumb with a minor alteration.

I personally have been trying out the Pro controller, and unfortunately I found myself liking it way too much. Much more customizable with much more responsive and intuitive controls.
(Though the c-stick placement makes for poor usage as your primary aerial input imo.)

I personally believe the best control scheme for pro involves setting Y to specials. This provides the ease of short hop aerials on a gamecube controller to both attacks AND specials since the input is a mere slide.

The B button is set to grabs, similar reasoning as why we do it on gamecube controllers with X.

A shoulder button set to jump is also ideal for z-jump reasoning.

And due to the poorly placed c-stick, I suggest keeping them set to smash, turning tap jump off, and getting used to using X/A for your aerial inputs. the This also lets you make the most use out of X/Y combination to do short hop specials. Something I did a LOT on 3DS but could never do on the gamecube controller. I was able to utilize short hop rising clay pigeons with duck hunt to catch landings or play as an anti-air, but it just wasn't feasible on gamecube. Not fluidly, anyway.

So in closing this is my recommended pro controller set-up:

A: Attack
B: Grab
X: Jump
Y: Special

Shoulder button: Jump (whichever's most convient/comfortable. It will be a rarely used input)
Tap Jump: Off
C-Stick: Smashes

Little things:

Rising/Timed dairs are a little hard with X/A, so I use the shoulder button to jump and c-stick down while the control stick DIs. For dairs that need precise timing, this is much more ideal.

Last edited:

Vyledust

Smash Cadet
NNID
vyledust
3DS FC
4828-5240-3817
Switch FC
SW-0024-1518-2334
MlWA770g_h8x4fdhh3.jpg
Never have to move my hand. Jump and grab are never used together and just have to rock my thumb back and forth. Just wish the right shoulder on the GC controller was a little more responsive. I read above that I need to break it in, so I will be mashing it while watching a movie asap. The Pro controller is so much more comfortable to me though, but I might go to a tournament at some point.

Taft_

Smash Rookie
I really need to save money so I cannot buy an official new in the box nintendo gamecube controller so i was wondering if there is a really nice knock off GC controller that i can buy thats good enough for melee/sm4sh? I currently am using a 10 year old nintendo silver controller so im pretty sure a really good knock off is better than what i have, atleast until i get a part time job or raise some money for an official controller. So does anyone know a good knock off? also im not sure if its allowed but if you do i would really appreciate a link to it if you do know of a good knockoff.Also does anyone know if knock offs work with the official gamecube adapter for sm4sh wii u?

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Am I in the minority that thinks the gamecube controller is bulky and kinda hard. The pro controller is more akin to the xbox 360 which many say is controller perfection myself included. It just has an amazing shape that fits your hands perfectly, and the buttons arent super huge and bulky like the gamecube controller. Call me a hater but I don't get the Gamecube hype.

Banneret

Smash Rookie
Guys, I have been struggling for the past few days deciding on my controls.
I have tap jump on and C stick set to tilts. I kinda mindlessly followed ZeRo's control scheme but in the end it happened to have a great effect on my play (In a good way).

First, I love to use the C stick for my aerials, I just feel I have more control when fast falling into or out of them.
For example, Captain Falcon's up air, I enjoy short hopping into uair then immediately fast falling.
I do this with jump button Y and quickly flicking the C stick up then the joy stick down for my fast fall.
I feel I am losing air time or something when I do this, especially when I full hop(use the Y button then flicking C stick).
I don't like using the joy stick + A button because I feel I don't have full control of my aerials.

Another example, with Captain Falcon, I enjoy using tap jump as well for most of his aerials because it lets me fast fall while keeping my momentum (using C stick) but I also enjoying using Y + C stick lol.

Tbh I just want to have the same movement or even better movement than ZeRo. He makes fast falling to aerials look so easy and I just want to know how he does it!
I've heard tap jumping for short hops or jumping in general isn't good because you need the joy stick for other things, but I don't think that's really true.

Can anyone help me with this situation?
Like any tips or ideas that would help me come to a conclusion on what to do?
Basically I enjoy fast falling and aerials but with joy stick + A it's kinda hard imo because I have to press down then immediately (for example) back air.
So honestly it's down to either use Tap jump for everything or use Y+C stick for everything (maybe you guys have a different view).

I will not turn off tap jump nor set my jump to Z, I've tried both and with Z I got a cramp on my finger which even after 3 weeks of hand exercises and all it still proceeded.

Last edited:

Felth

Smash Apprentice
I use the GC controller, I use my thumb to Press A,Y,X,B and C stick. I use my index finger to press Z and my middle finger to press R.
My main problem is to use aerial attacks instantly from the ground. For example, Pikachu needs to use his Bair instantly from the ground to auto cancel the attack (also his Fair). Some people like M2k uses their index finger to Press Y and their Thumb to use the C stick, but I feel that this latter technique is a little uncomfortable...

To avoid this technique I tried to set L to jump but I think that the SH is more difficult to execute in comparison to the Y botton.

What do you think aboout this? And what configuration you recommend me?

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I think an easy way around that is to use your thumb to press the X or Y button, then quickly slide your thumb down to the A button. Almost like performing a multishine except you're using moving down to the A button.
It will take a bit of time to get used to but it's pretty easy.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I'm using the wii u pro controller, and currently have the set up that's on the first page of this thread for it. However, I'm having a lot of trouble using Ftilts. Any help?

BlastLine99

Smash Cadet
NNID
Megatronus
I'm trying to find information about using the Pro Controller at tournaments. I've heard things about wireless controllers being anywhere from problematic or outright banned at tourneys, so I've tried re-learning the GC controller, but it just doesn't (to me, at least) perform as well as the Pro. I'm hoping someone knows a way to avoid any of these supposed problems with the wireless controller.

The main things I'm trying to figure out our how to unsync the controller from a Wii U (permanently, not just turning it off), and if wireless interference is a big of an issue as some people claim.

If anyone has some solid info or evidence of wireless problems, please let me know.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
It's more of a slight hindrance than a real problem IMO. Unfortunately it seems like wireless controllers are getting banned so there's no real way around it.

I dont think there's a real permanent way to turn off the controller. I just hit the sync button on the back and try not to forget that.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
I went to a local this past Saturday and I used a Pro Controller, and one of the guys there told me that all you need to do to unsync it is to press the sync button on your controller without pressing the button on the Wii U. Disregard this.

Some tourneys ban wireless controllers, however, so make sure you clarify the rules with a TO beforehand and bring a backup Gamecube controller just in case.

Last edited:

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
From an earlier topic:
(http://smashboards.com/threads/desyncing-wiiu-pro-controllers.409624/#post-19619126)

What I usually do is use the temp sync method for the Wii U to hook up my Pro controller, and then use the red button on the back to 'desync' when done since it will spend about a minute looking for a new Wii U that is also trying to 'sync'. My first tournament they wanted me to use the red button sync (hard sync, makes it so the Pro Controller only works with that specific Wii U on wake up), but it became harder to 'desync' properly when I was finished. Didn't happen when I used the temp sync solution, as the Pro controller restores its sync to the last hard sync it had when the attempt to sync via the red button fails. it's left over tech from the Wii days if you wanted to bring your controller to a friends house but not sync it to lose Mii/save data transfered via the remotes.

Edit: To temp sync, you bring up the controller settings menu and use the Re-order Remotes option. From there, any Wii or Wii U controller that is activated from sleep (just hitting a button) while it's re-ordering will 'temp' sync to that machine. If the remote goes back to sleep, the sync is lost.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
The only surefire method I know for permanently deleting controller pairings is to back out all the way to the Wii U system settings menu and use the option in there for it. This requires a lot of time and a Wii U Gamepad to do, though, which makes it pretty impractical for a tournament.

I went to a local this past Saturday and I used a Pro Controller, and one of the guys there told me that all you need to do to unsync it is to press the sync button on your controller without pressing the button on the Wii U.
Sounds cool if it works, but in a large tournament with dozens of stations in use, the odds of accidentally syncing to another console when pressing the sync button on the controller might still be a worthwhile concern.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
This could be an issue at large tournaments, since it does take time to go to the home screen and controller options and whatnot.

Sounds cool if it works, but in a large tournament with dozens of stations in use, the odds of accidentally syncing to another console when pressing the sync button on the controller might still be a worthwhile concern.
According to the post below mine, it actually doesn't work, so just ignore that.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
This could be an issue at large tournaments, since it does take time to go to the home screen and controller options and whatnot.
It takes about half the time as making your own profile with custom controls on the Wii U, which is something most TO's encourage for fair play. Time really will not be the issue here. What can be the issue is if the home button becomes locked though, as this prevents temp sync from being an option to the Wii U. (I had this issue at the last tournament I went to, as one of the Wii U's had the home button locked. It was to prevent salty players from tampering, but it also made it a head ache for some of use wireless users. That and if the salty player wanted to mess things up he could have just hit the power button on his remote anyway.)

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I use the same scheme as @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy , but I also map jump to the R button to make pivot jump cancelled up smashes easier to perform.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Can someone please look at my earlier post on this page? I'm having trouble with forward tilts.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Quick question about the Smash logo Gamecube controllers. I got mine at launch and both have an issue with clicky shoulder buttons (an issue I heard was caused by some small piece being omitted). My brother got one very recently and said his doesn't have the same issue. Haven't verified myself, but has anyone else encountered a similar situation?

Can someone please look at my earlier post on this page? I'm having trouble with forward tilts.
Unless you set a stick to Attack instead of Smash (or anything else), it's just a matter of practicing the amount of pressure necessary to tilt instead of dashing or smashing.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Any tips on improving shield time for the GCC? I feel like L and R can be just a little slow and I really dislike the Z button. Are there any possible controller mods? I saw taking the springs out prevents them from being used.

The_Devious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
The_devious97
I use the GCC and this is my layout

A: attack
B: special
X: Grab
Y: Jump
L: shield
R: shield
Z: grab
C-stick: smash

I heard somewhere that Y is quicker than X, is this true? I really don't like Z.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I'm switching over to the GCC in the next few days, and was wondering if there was an ideal setup for someone who never really used one before? (Yes I know, how have I not?). I know Nairo uses default... is that an optimal setup, or is that something ill advised, and only works for him?

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
> Pro Controller
> Tap Jump off
> Rumble off
> A+B smash off
> T-stick
> Y to grab
> L to jumpr
> ZL to attack
> ZR to special

I personally just hate Tap Jump, some people like it. Tilts on the C-Stick because I've always had problems tilting but no problems smashing, and now the traditional way is disadvantaged in terms of aerials. Y is grab because my thumb is faster than my other fingers. L is shield because that's how it was on my 3DS. The Z buttons are configured as such because it makes it a possibility to play the games without ever having to reposition your hands. I've never actually attempted learning this, but maybe, someday, I will.

Scrub255

Smash Rookie
Just wondering if anyone else here has ever been in the same boat.

Im used to playing with tap jump set to R, shield set to L and grab set to ZL/ZR...

The gamecubes shoulder buttons are analog, so it feels like its way harder for me to play like this on here...

What button do professional players use to shield on the gamecube controller , and for the few players that tap jump , any clue what they use?

TLDR; Switched from Wii U Pro to Gamecube, not liking the hard to press analog shoulder buttons, what should I set tap to jump /shield to?

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I switched from a Pro Controller to a GC-controller before. Now I have Jump on my Z button, Grab on my L button and Shield on my R button. I have considered putting Shield and Grab on my X and Y buttons, but I have not yet felt the need to do so as Jump is the only of those inputs that I need to release very quickly ( short hops).

Raijinken

Smash Master
Many Gamecube controller players, as a holdover from Melee, use its default controls (L/R to shield, Up/X/Y to jump, A for normal, B for special, Z to grab, C to smash, Dpad to taunt).
I'm a bit of a freak, so I use A to jump, Y to attack, and X to grab. The rest I leave default (but with tap-jump off).

My suggestion based on your controls would be to set Z as jump, and use X as shield, then use shield-grab instead of having a dedicated grab button.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Many Gamecube controller players, as a holdover from Melee, use its default controls (L/R to shield, Up/X/Y to jump, A for normal, B for special, Z to grab, C to smash, Dpad to taunt).
I'm a bit of a freak, so I use A to jump, Y to attack, and X to grab. The rest I leave default (but with tap-jump off).

My suggestion based on your controls would be to set Z as jump, and use X as shield, then use shield-grab instead of having a dedicated grab button.
Well it's not like it hurts to have a dedicated Grab button. It's not like every Grab is done OoS anyway

Raijinken

Smash Master
Well it's not like it hurts to have a dedicated Grab button. It's not like every Grab is done OoS anyway
This is true, but from a technical (and functional) standpoint, the grab button is literally the same as hitting Attack and Shield at the same time. It's essentially a shortcut macro. Useful to a lot of people, but not actually required, so if you can get used to the "actual" input, you can save a button and use it for other things.

To that extent, I don't actually use X to grab, even though it's bound to grab. I almost always hit shield+attack, and when I don't, I press Z. Now that I think about it, though, setting Z to shield would probably benefit my play in that regard.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Why are you switching to the GC controller? The Pro controller having more buttons seems like a clear advantage to me. Maybe I just don't like mixing my Melee and 4 controllers.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Why are you switching to the GC controller? The Pro controller having more buttons seems like a clear advantage to me. Maybe I just don't like mixing my Melee and 4 controllers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think someone determined that the Pro controller has an extra frame of input lag due to bluetooth. And while more buttons is fine for certain playstyles, you only need the minimum of four and a directional input (Jump (bindable to joystick), attack, special, shield) for full non-taunt functionality. Everything else is extra.

And especially for people who've used the Gamecube controller for previous Smash games, the C-stick-equivalent being above the standard input buttons just feels wrong.

But yea, the Pro Controller is my second-choice when we don't have enough GCN adapters to properly suit 8-player smash. And if I have too many guests still, I'll use the 3DS as a tertiary choice.

Aside from objective differences like input lag, it really is just a matter of preference.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I've heard people talk of input lag, but has it been confirmed that there is no lag buffer like there was in Brawl? I just don't think that's something that would be dropped. Anyways, I always thought that the adapter would also cause input lag equal to a wireless controller (which are very good nowadays, unlike in 2007).

Raijinken

Smash Master
I've heard people talk of input lag, but has it been confirmed that there is no lag buffer like there was in Brawl? I just don't think that's something that would be dropped. Anyways, I always thought that the adapter would also cause input lag equal to a wireless controller (which are very good nowadays, unlike in 2007).
While wireless has improved, it would still basically take deliberate lag to make it slower than wireless.

Anyways, there's a one-action buffer (so, similar to Brawl but limited to one action instead of all actions in a certain window). A bigger issue with Brawl was the 2-4 frame random lag, rather than a set value.

Either way, it's mostly preference. While a frame of lag can technically matter, it's a 60th of a second, and won't make a difference in most players' play anyway.

I'm just always skeptical of wireless performance. Bad experiences during robotics in highschool.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
you should definitely have a grab button. you can't even perform proper dash grabs/pivot grabs or z drop/z catch effectively without a grab button.

Top Bottom