• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Controller / Button Mapping Advice Thread

fleskywood

Smash Rookie
NNID
flesky
3DS FC
2578-3364-1466
My set up is mostly default except for the X button which is Grab.

Does anyone know a work around so that my character doesn't use an attack when using Grab? I can't wrap my head around as to why when I try to pivot grab an f-tilt would come out.

The Grab and C-stick for aerials in this game are booty.. And it sucks considering that was what I did best.
The reason for this is so old, but it might as well be said. Grab is :GCRT: and :GCA: , so you might attack when you can't do both at the same time.

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
Normal set up but in the 3DS controls.

:GCLT: is grab
:GCRT: is the block.

I had them switched at first when I got my gamecube controller and I was grabbing when I wanted to block (Sometimes it worked in my favor as I grabbed my friend in the middle of his dash attack)

So far, that's just kinda how I like it and how I play with the 3DS, Pro-controller, and the GamePad.

fleskywood

Smash Rookie
NNID
flesky
3DS FC
2578-3364-1466
My setup is as follows on the 3DS:
Y, B: Jump
X: Attack
A: Special
L: Grab
R: Shield
when I use a gc controller, it is:
:GCB: : Jump
:GCA: : Attack
:GCX: , :GCY: : Special
:GCLT: : Grab
:GCRT: : Shield
Sadly, :GCLT: went out on my GC controller, so I shield grab a ton in Brawl.

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
When I stopped playing smash, I started playing xbox, and am quite comfortable with the xbox controller, but I also was used to the GCC when I played melee. So, should I go the wii u pro, classic, or GCC? I understand everyone uses a GCC because everyone got used to it in melee, and then used it again in brawl, so it's only natural to use it in smash 4. However, I haven't played since melee, so I'd be rusty with any controller. In addition, there is also the struggle of finding a gamecube adapter for the wii u, which could be annoying.

Thank you.

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
When I stopped playing smash, I started playing xbox, and am quite comfortable with the xbox controller, but I also was used to the GCC when I played melee. So, should I go the wii u pro, classic, or GCC? I understand everyone uses a GCC because everyone got used to it in melee, and then used it again in brawl, so it's only natural to use it in smash 4. However, I haven't played since melee, so I'd be rusty with any controller. In addition, there is also the struggle of finding a gamecube adapter for the wii u, which could be annoying.

Thank you.
Well I think I'm able to answer this since I played the Wii U gamepad, Wii U Pro controller, and GCC all competitively.
The Pro controller is good. It feels nice, it feels like how it SHOULD feel and I love it for that the buttons and right-stick are switched. (It's so nice to have.) You'll have the problem with the top of the controller because it's slick and you'll be able to see marks from where your hands were. You also don't have the privledge of rivets in the joystick, so inputting commands is harder as you have to hope you get it right, rather than relying on the rivets to tell you.

Gamepad is viable but it's just a huge version of the Pro controller. It's not bad but it's just less clunky.

As for the GCC, it's the natural Smash controller because of Melee and IMO, the rivets in the joystick area. If the Pro controller had it, I would never use a GCC. I use the GCC and Pro controller off-and-on but the main one now is the GCC just because of getting used to it in Melee/Project M.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Well I think I'm able to answer this since I played the Wii U gamepad, Wii U Pro controller, and GCC all competitively.
The Pro controller is good. It feels nice, it feels like how it SHOULD feel and I love it for that the buttons and right-stick are switched. (It's so nice to have.) You'll have the problem with the top of the controller because it's slick and you'll be able to see marks from where your hands were. You also don't have the privledge of rivets in the joystick, so inputting commands is harder as you have to hope you get it right, rather than relying on the rivets to tell you.

Gamepad is viable but it's just a huge version of the Pro controller. It's not bad but it's just less clunky.

As for the GCC, it's the natural Smash controller because of Melee and IMO, the rivets in the joystick area. If the Pro controller had it, I would never use a GCC. I use the GCC and Pro controller off-and-on but the main one now is the GCC just because of getting used to it in Melee/Project M.
I don't mind the marks, I'm not looking at my controller when I play, and can simply wipe them off when I'm not playing. As for inputting commands, is it really that much harder?
So I should get the GCC and adapter set up because of the rivets? I'm not used to the controller like you're, so do they make that big of a difference?

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
I don't mind the marks, I'm not looking at my controller when I play, and can simply wipe them off when I'm not playing. As for inputting commands, is it really that much harder?
So I should get the GCC and adapter set up because of the rivets? I'm not used to the controller like you're, so do they make that big of a difference?
Inputting controls? No, but the GCC has an advantage. A good example is when doing a Uair while moving in the forward direction. With the GCC, you can easily set this in the top two rivets between UP and Left/Right. It makes it easy and simple. You'll always get it right.

With the Pro-controller, you have to KNOW that it's in the right angle, since there are no rivets; just a circle.
The pro controller is really good though, don't let anyone say different. The right stick (Smash stick, I guess) is easily accessed and better than the GCC's C-stick.

I think you should do what's natural. I play on both regularly, just to make sure I can play with them.
I can't say on which one you should pick, but if you use the pro-controller. Just be prepared to have some awkward stares directed at you because that's how it goes for anyone not using GCC.

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
I would recommend, since you're not already used to any one controller, starting with the Pro. Yes, the lack of octagonal gates is a bit annoying, but it's really not nearly as bad as I thought it would be - I misinput very rarely, and I've actually found it makes it easier to control recoveries with granularly adjustable angles, like Falco's or Pikachu's. Any inconvenience from the lack of stick gates is totally outweighed by the fact that you effectively get three more usable shoulder buttons relative to the GCC. Plus, as mentioned in my above post, there are ways one could mod the faceplate of a Pro controller to have octagonal gates - I've actually laddered quite a few times with a guy who did.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: with the GCC, you really only have one option for a digital (as in on-off, non-pressure sensitive) button that you can use while C-sticking, and that's Z. Want to keep all your OOS options in addition to C-sticking shorthop aerials? You gotta either use tap jump (it blows my mind that anybody can avoid accidental jumps 24/7, but more power to ya), learn claw grip, or use a Pro controller. Yeah, you lose the nice gates, but are they really worth either restricting your in-game options, dealing with the half-tilted stick precision tap jump demands, or effectively destroying all existing muscle memory by switching to an esoteric and (for most players) uncomfortable grip? I don't think so.

Of course, this is all assuming you only use your Wii U for Sm4sh. Pro controllers work with almost every other Wii U title, while GCC works only with one. I was pretty annoyed when I got Mario Kart 8 and then remembered that only one of my five controllers could even be used with the game.

Last edited:

darkprizm47

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkprizm47
Hey guys, quick question. As a Lucas main, would it be better for me to set the second stick (I use a pro controller) to tilts, specials, or smashes? I'm just not sure whether or not wavebouncing with PK Fire would be too helpfull or if I'll wind up overusing my smashes by accident.
Sorry if this question sounds dumb.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My control scheme is something that I at least would call a odd one. Or at least less common... IDK.
I main link and fan on atm and find this setup to be most useful.
How ever. From what I have seen the lag in online sometimes likes to eat up the inputs from the C-stick making it only a partly useful option. So that's not good.

GC controller
(A) = attack
(B) = special
(X) = shield
(Y) = grab
[Z) = Jump
(L] = shield
[R) = Grab (Used for bomb slides)
(C) = attack
Special+Attack smash = on
Tap jump = off

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I made a dumb statement that doesn't make sense and do not know how to remove posts so... I'm sorry

D

Deleted member

You can click "edit" in the bottom left of your post to fix it!
But there's no way to just remove a post? From what I can see I would guess not but... That seams like such a basic thing to have in a forum :/

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Hope this is the right place for this.

With one gamecube controller having a thumbstick that makes dashing to the right iffy at best... and another with a non funtional C stick what cheap options do I have?

I have had nothing but terrible luck with 3rd party controllers... and Smash is pretty hard on these.

It seems there are a billion people selling n64 thumbsticks, but many less selling gamecube ones... i see a lot of caps for sale but not the mechanisim. The replacement process looks difficult..

The smash controller is expensive...

Thoughts on what would be the best for smashing long term?

D

Deleted member

Hope this is the right place for this.

With one gamecube controller having a thumbstick that makes dashing to the right iffy at best... and another with a non funtional C stick what cheap options do I have?

I have had nothing but terrible luck with 3rd party controllers... and Smash is pretty hard on these.

It seems there are a billion people selling n64 thumbsticks, but many less selling gamecube ones... i see a lot of caps for sale but not the mechanisim. The replacement process looks difficult..

The smash controller is expensive...

Thoughts on what would be the best for smashing long term?
Sadly enough there aren't to many options... Even if you were to get a hold of a new stick there is the problem that you have to know which "Generation" your GC controller is. There are 3 and 4 pigged sticks that to replace you would have to solder them of the cartage and replace them with the new once which if you accidentally got one that don't fit... it would all have been for non .
So the best option is to buy a new GC controller. but you don't have to get a smash-controller. there are other options but if you want a new one you better be ready to give up a minimum of $50 + shipping. you could also try and order one from Japan and get the whit one which may end up being cheaper if you live close enough for the shipping price to stay low.
There also exists a options with the GC esk controller that you plug into the Wiimote but I could not tell you whether it's good or not.
Anyways, I wish you the best of luck and all.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Sadly enough there aren't to many options... Even if you were to get a hold of a new stick there is the problem that you have to know which "Generation" your GC controller is. There are 3 and 4 pigged sticks that to replace you would have to solder them of the cartage and replace them with the new once which if you accidentally got one that don't fit... it would all have been for non .
So the best option is to buy a new GC controller. but you don't have to get a smash-controller. there are other options but if you want a new one you better be ready to give up a minimum of $50 + shipping. you could also try and order one from Japan and get the whit one which may end up being cheaper if you live close enough for the shipping price to stay low.
There also exists a options with the GC esk controller that you plug into the Wiimote but I could not tell you whether it's good or not.
Anyways, I wish you the best of luck and all.
The Smash controller seems to be the only new 1st part (ish?) one available. There are used originals out there but I am hesitant to buy something like this without testing it... as it may have the same problem. The new originals are sold as collectors items to display ($100+), while I want a toy to beat the heck out of via smash.

Why oh why can't some 3rd party make quality stuff?

D

Deleted member

The Smash controller seems to be the only new 1st part (ish?) one available. There are used originals out there but I am hesitant to buy something like this without testing it... as it may have the same problem. The new originals are sold as collectors items to display ($100+), while I want a toy to beat the heck out of via smash.

Why oh why can't some 3rd party make quality stuff?
Because that would actually take effort T__T
I feel ya... It's stupid

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
I just switched from wii chuck to GCN and my weird controls are:

Rumble: OFF
Tap Jump: OFF
A+B=Special: OFF
A: Attack
B: Grab
X: Shield
Y: Shield
Z: Special
R: Special
L: Jump

Firecaith

Smash Rookie
NNID
kai951321
I use the Wii U Pro Controller, because, I don't have a Gamecube port, and I got it as a birthday present, And I have My Y button as grab, because it just feels natural to me. Anyone else use Y for grab?

Illuminose

Smash Ace
I would recommend, since you're not already used to any one controller, starting with the Pro. Yes, the lack of octagonal gates is a bit annoying, but it's really not nearly as bad as I thought it would be - I misinput very rarely, and I've actually found it makes it easier to control recoveries with granularly adjustable angles, like Falco's or Pikachu's. Any inconvenience from the lack of stick gates is totally outweighed by the fact that you effectively get three more usable shoulder buttons relative to the GCC. Plus, as mentioned in my above post, there are ways one could mod the faceplate of a Pro controller to have octagonal gates - I've actually laddered quite a few times with a guy who did.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: with the GCC, you really only have one option for a digital (as in on-off, non-pressure sensitive) button that you can use while C-sticking, and that's Z. Want to keep all your OOS options in addition to C-sticking shorthop aerials? You gotta either use tap jump (it blows my mind that anybody can avoid accidental jumps 24/7, but more power to ya), learn claw grip, or use a Pro controller. Yeah, you lose the nice gates, but are they really worth either restricting your in-game options, dealing with the half-tilted stick precision tap jump demands, or effectively destroying all existing muscle memory by switching to an esoteric and (for most players) uncomfortable grip? I don't think so.

Of course, this is all assuming you only use your Wii U for Sm4sh. Pro controllers work with almost every other Wii U title, while GCC works only with one. I was pretty annoyed when I got Mario Kart 8 and then remembered that only one of my five controllers could even be used with the game.
What do you mean by having 3 more usable shoulder buttons? You have one additional shoulder button to map a control to. That's it. Whether the octagonal gates matter for you is personal preference, but for characters that require precise directional inputs, having the octagonal gates is invaluable. This is especially a big deal if you want to play Ryu and if you want to do C Stick neutral airs. I'm pretty sure that most players aren't about to cut apart their Pro controller, although if you are, more power to you.

Also you can just set a trigger to jump if you want to keep your USmash and Up B OOS. You can still do everything OOS that you need to. Furthermore, it's not even remotely difficult to use a standard jump button and C Stick your aerials at the same time. It might take a little practice to get the speed of the motion down, but it's not really difficult at all. An alternative option is simply setting Z to jump and using another button for grab (X or Y is pretty popular). I think you're overrating the disadvantages of the GC controller and underrating the advantages.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Current GC Controller set up:

L: Shield
R: Jump
Z: assigned but rarely used
Y: grab
x: jump... rarely used until recently see below.
A: attack
B: Special
Cstick: Smash Attacks

So... after discovering how much easier it is to low jump with X than R I have been trying to get myself to use that for low jumps, and R for normal jumps... I just can't seem to get the hang of R low jumping.

I am having trouble jumping than getting my desired air off....

I have been thinking maybe using z as a 2nd attack button might help? Different finger for jump and attack for the key arieal game?

On the flip side... considering how many times I feel that my shield has failed me when it shouldn't have... I am wondering if that micro second faster pressing of Z than L would makes difference shielding? That whole half way down before it responds thing is a frustrating mechanic.

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member

Current GC Controller set up:

L: Shield
R: Jump
Z: assigned but rarely used
Y: grab
x: jump... rarely used until recently see below.
A: attack
B: Special
Cstick: Smash Attacks

So... after discovering how much easier it is to low jump with X than R I have been trying to get myself to use that for low jumps, and R for normal jumps... I just can't seem to get the hang of R low jumping.

I am having trouble jumping than getting my desired air off....

I have been thinking maybe using z as a 2nd attack button might help? Different finger for jump and attack for the key arieal game?

On the flip side... considering how many times I feel that my shield has failed me when it shouldn't have... I am wondering if that micro second faster pressing of Z than L would makes difference shielding? That whole half way down before it responds thing is a frustrating mechanic.

Thoughts?
From what I can tell the difference in L and Z shielding is so small that it really does not matter, and also from what I've discovered from early wind waker speed running is that the Z button may be slower then A B X and Y for what ever the reason.
I hope you can find a good controller scheme and all. Gluck.

D

Deleted member

So... I've realized a problem with controls in general for sash 4 where for what ever the reason having C set to attack increases the chance of having your input eaten. When ever the game get's a slow down for some reason it just won't respond... but if C is set to smash there is no problem.
of course this is not really gonna matter for those in the competitive scene as it's all in the same room on the same console. But if you ever feel like playing a bit online, well that's an entirely different story. As it was not bad enough with the input lag that exists in online matches... sigh. From what I know it's this way on the GC controller and the tabulate. Hope it get's fixed as soon as possible T__T If you want to test this out for yourself you can simply enter the training mode and set speed to 1/4 and feel the glory that is input noms.
Also, I'm guessing it's probably a thing that has been known for a while but... I just felt like ranting a bit about it considering this is a controller setup board so I thought that it actually would be fitting. Might also change someones opinion about using C for attack or something.
I have nothing more to say about this!

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Plus, as mentioned in my above post, there are ways one could mod the faceplate of a Pro controller to have octagonal gates - I've actually laddered quite a few times with a guy who did.
I like the way you think. I'd like to give my Pro Controller another shot and I think the gates are one of the only things holding me back from trying it. I considered just carving them in or something and there isn't really a tutorial or many mentions of other people doing this with the Pro Controller. From what I saw on a single post on Reddit, carving may not even be effective.

"Guy A: What exactly is a controller gate? Is it the grooves that surround the sticks?

Guy B: Yes. The plastic section just matches it, but the gate is actually internal. Not sure about switching them in controllers, but most of your higher end fightsticks like mad catz, allow you to switch parts out for other brand parts, or different gates."

So how would you go about doing this with a ProCon that doesn't have exchangeable parts? Do you really think I'd have to change something internally on the controller?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
the gate is actually internal.
TIL

I think modifying a pro controller externally would be the best place to start, so I'd be very interested in hearing about the method used and how it turned out.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
TIL

I think modifying a pro controller externally would be the best place to start, so I'd be very interested in hearing about the method used and how it turned out.
TIL? Yes, but I don't want to start on the front if I have to change something internally that won't match the faceplate afterward. I wish he knew who the Ladder guy was or of anyone else that has done it before and their methods. I'm not very crafty, but I'm going to try something.

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
TIL? Yes, but I don't want to start on the front if I have to change something internally that won't match the faceplate afterward. I wish he knew who the Ladder guy was or of anyone else that has done it before and their methods. I'm not very crafty, but I'm going to try something.
His name on Anther's is TRIANGLEYE . You can try him, but he's been incommunicado with me for a few weeks now, despite being online regularly, no idea why.
What do you mean by having 3 more usable shoulder buttons? You have one additional shoulder button to map a control to. That's it. ... Also you can just set a trigger to jump if you want to keep your USmash and Up B OOS. You can still do everything OOS that you need to.
I mean that the analog triggers on the GCN introduce so much physical input lag via the distance they need to be depressed as to be unacceptable, for me. Coming in and out of shield with even a slight delay makes it very difficult to buffer attacks during the shield drop animation, and shielding at the absolute first frame possible is very important in many situations. Approaching with dash into perfect shield into buffered tilt, for example, requires literally one frame of the shield button being depressed before inputting tilt, and ensuring you release the shield button quickly enough is all but impossible with an analog trigger. Jumping with a trigger makes it very difficult to shorthop consistently. Grab is the only control I would consider putting on an analog trigger, and even then I would find it annoying.

Recent chatter from high level Smashers like Lain has made me slightly nervous that Wii U Pro controllers may not be legal at every event in the future, due to wirelessness and problems with players not desyncing and delaying matches. I'm sticking with Pro for now, but I'm also looking for a good wired controller option with at least three digital shoulder buttons. The HORI ones seem awesome, but they are only "wired" in the sense that they connect to a wireless Wii remote, which doesn't really solve the issue. The only native wired option for the Wii U is GCN, but I can't seem to find any decent 3rd party GCNs, and certainly none designed with digital triggers and competitive play in mind. I thought a Classic Controller plug (like on the HORI pads) to Gamecube or USB converter might work, but such a thing doesn't seem to exist. Any recommendations or ideas?

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Im having a very hard time doing Ryu's SF inputs with a Gamecube controller. Would a Pro controller make things any easier on me?

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Im having a very hard time doing Ryu's SF inputs with a Gamecube controller. Would a Pro controller make things any easier on me?
I can do them consistently on my GC controlller. Looks like the best remedy is just practicing more.

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
Turns out my fears were well-founded - Juggleguy says TBH5 is banning all wireless controllers. I've switched to Gamecube for the time being, as it seems to be literally the only wired option for Wii U in existence, but I'm really hoping somebody comes out with a wired option with digital triggers. I'm just frustrated that Juggleguy doesn't want to hear about any possible solutions for Pro controllers, since they work without a battery pack when plugged in with the charging cable.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Has anyone messed with A+B Smash attacks? I'm tempted to use that to smash, and switch the C-sticks to tilts for faster pivots and faster access to up-tilt...

Also thinking about how to use my Y button, as it's never used in my control scheme at all. Only really ever turn off tap jump...

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Has anyone messed with A+B Smash attacks? I'm tempted to use that to smash, and switch the C-sticks to tilts for faster pivots and faster access to up-tilt...

Also thinking about how to use my Y button, as it's never used in my control scheme at all. Only really ever turn off tap jump...
I switched to A-stick a few days ago. It's been hard, because I keep thinking I've got smashes on the right thumb when I don't. It'll take some time before I'm totally used to it.

Attack+Special smashes, however, I'm having some difficulty inputting them properly. Not quite at the same time. I really wish that you could just set one button to smashes, instead of heaving two.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I've always used default controls, including tap jump, lol. I'm going to try changing it up, but not until after my tournament Saturday.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Hey, this is a pretty cool thread! Myself personally being a Wiimote+Nunchuck user, I'm glad to hear that there's no reason to frown upon someone who doesn't use a GameCube controller. I like seeing all the positives and negatives to using the controllers, as well as the +/- of having tap jump turned off.

Top Bottom