• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Controller / Button Mapping Advice Thread

A Potato

Banned via Administration
While I haven't tested it out yet. I feels there is an advantage to put (Y) as grab. What do you guys think?

InfernoDragneel

Smash Rookie
Yes I'm new here, played smash for years and have been doing smash 4 for a while. But for all I have played, well I just feel that when it comes to trying to use tilts, there is a big conflict of interests, like this is supposed to be a nintendo game anyone can play right? So why does the input for such a simple move have to be so carefully handled?

Look I know about c tilting and have been trying it, but its basically in my case of playing, I can sum up the aspect of wanting to do a tilt but putting out a smash because of this overly sensitive control.

Who has no issue with it in my example?

Kirby, the tilt and the smash are fast.

But others that really get harmed from it, are those like Ike and Dedede.

Its a pain when I want to do a tilt but instead do that forward smash.

So I went to c-tilting.

But I said, there is a conflict of controls simply because, in essence, the use between the Control stick +A button and C stick have well, pros and cons.

Tilts from just the Contol stick are overly senstive, Down tilts tend to be the one that never has an issue, just duck and press A.

Forward and up though, it depends. As I said before, some like Ike and Dedede are really hurt by this type of default control, their forward tilts are fast and do things right where their forward ones are just begging you to be punished.

Up, again as well, but its that same deal, you need to be holding the control stick slightly before pressing A.

So this should all work exactly on the C stick no issues right? Well, aside from the increased mobility you can use, you lose the directional capabilities of many forward tilts (those that Mario, Kirby, Zero Suit Samus, etc) you cannot angle a forward tilt up or down on the C stick

Likewise, if you had a guy who could juggle with up tilt, it seems that C stick has a case of well, the input doesnt always register (my controller is new). So its like more of a pacing thing.

Honestly, this is the thing thats gotten my gears grinding. When you get a conflict of controls.

A way I can put it is, its kinda like how the AVGN ranted on Batman forevers controls a few years ago.

Its just to me you have 2 cases, one is overly sensitive but gives you the angles aspect while the other is the easy alternative but makes you stifled in a few ways.

Its just, when you have 2 means for an input to do something, I feel a wired confusion aspect of, I use the c stick for tilts yet also the A button + control stick for tilts.

Smashes are easy to do, easier than tilts by default and this is, kinda crazy.

Its just a receptory aspect of, if I have a character like Kirby, its not going to be much of an issue for his attacks are practically fast. Someone like link or Shulk, not the biggest difference but link I can be stuck with sometimes wanting an Up tilt but as I said, I may accidently smash up and be stuck or the C stick may not reply.

Its in my experience, only the forward and down tilts have been better with the C stick. Up sometimes feels delayed if you want to do it multiple times in succession (obviously when you have your opponent trapped)

Honestly, my problem here isnt with the game, its just the control and motor reception that creates this strange conflict, 2 sticks for the same thing but some downfall on both when you need to have C stick to attack so you can use those tilts much faster and its essentially better due to maintaining airspeed as well as smashes are fine and easy just with A and the control stick at the same time.

Any advice on this? Its just a motor-receptory problem to me and for anything else, nothing on the game or match ups but on being able to use the desired inputs, getting around fighting the controls beyond anything else.

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
yeah, i wish they had an option to disable tilts/smashes for the control stick

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Not all controllers react the same, that's why you are encouraged to bring and use your own, which you have used to practice and you know exactly how to tilt with.
All in all, just practice; it isn't even too difficult to get used to tilting, but be aware that it might take a bit until it comes naturally.
:196:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Its in my experience, only the forward and down tilts have been better with the C stick. Up sometimes feels delayed if you want to do it multiple times in succession (obviously when you have your opponent trapped)

Honestly, my problem here isnt with the game, its just the control and motor reception that creates this strange conflict, 2 sticks for the same thing but some downfall on both when you need to have C stick to attack so you can use those tilts much faster and its essentially better due to maintaining airspeed as well as smashes are fine and easy just with A and the control stick at the same time.

Any advice on this? Its just a motor-receptory problem to me and for anything else, nothing on the game or match ups but on being able to use the desired inputs, getting around fighting the controls beyond anything else.
Agreed.
I often feel like I'm fighting the game more than my opponent because I don't input what I want to do because... Smash isn't known for having the most precise controls. This ain't Street Fighter.

Ideally we would be able to completely customize our controls to suit us... I'd be completely down for a dedicated SMASH ATTACK BUTTON... rather than having to use the clumsy and imprecise A + Tap control stick or A+B option (which risks accidental special moves that can get you killed in matches).
I'd also prefer if any button could be customized for any input. I mean, they already went out of their way to give us more options, so why not give us ALL of them?

This is doable. Look at the Xbox elite controller. Microsoft has let gamers remap ANY Button to register input as ANY OTHER button. So even if the game doesn't let you switch your controls, YOU STILL HAVE THAT POWER.

The whole imprecise c stick tilt thing I didn't know. I thought you could slightly aim tilts up or down with the C stick, but knowing that now, that's just irritating (and on top of that you can accidentally jab/nair if you tilt diagonally at the wrong time)...

*sigh*

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
So I need to buy 2 new gamecube controllers and I was considering the new smash ones as they're cheaper than the original. However, I heard that the new smash ones have problems such as the L and R buttons getting stuck and issues changing direction or something like that. I was just wondering if the controller just takes time to get "broken in" or if I should spend the extra money on an original gamecube controller? I have never tried the new smash controllers and unfortunately I don't have access to any that I could try out.

Last edited:

phoenix317

Smash Rookie
NNID
phoenix317
I got a question. I'm currently switching from the Wii U Pro to GC and I came across some trouble trying to learn. I play with tap jump off and I'm having issues with up-airs on GC since I would use the second stick on Pro. Is there an ideal way to up-air? I jump with Y and try to aerial with c stick, should I use A? What do any you use for aerials?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I got a question. I'm currently switching from the Wii U Pro to GC and I came across some trouble trying to learn. I play with tap jump off and I'm having issues with up-airs on GC since I would use the second stick on Pro. Is there an ideal way to up-air? I jump with Y and try to aerial with c stick, should I use A? What do any you use for aerials?
You need to be able to touch both the jump and attack buttons at the same time. If you're set on attacking with the C stick, you should turn tap jump on or switch L, R or Z to jump. If you want to jump with Y you should be pressing A, or alternatively you could switch one of the shoulder buttons to attack.

phoenix317

Smash Rookie
NNID
phoenix317
You need to be able to touch both the jump and attack buttons at the same time. If you're set on attacking with the C stick, you should turn tap jump on or switch L, R or Z to jump. If you want to jump with Y you should be pressing A, or alternatively you could switch one of the shoulder buttons to attack.
Thanks, I'll definitely try these methods. This, unfortunately, is the struggle to use a legal controller.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Thanks, I'll definitely try these methods. This, unfortunately, is the struggle to use a legal controller.
Honestly if your local tournaments are banning Pro Controllers then I'm pretty unimpressed by the TOs. Majors are slightly different, but I still don't like it.

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
so I have a question about using diagonal c tilt to NAir. I'm using a pro controller, it seems like the angle needs to be almost perfect, and it's super hard to do in real matches, and usually takes a few tries to find the precise angle.
is anybody using c tilt to NAir? if so is there any tricks to doing it more reliably?

Lunastra

Smash Rookie
NNID
albertpkvtruong
So I currently use y but I see that many top players use X are their any benefits to this or is it just preference

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Button mapping is mostly preference and comfort.
I use X and L to jump, and Y and B for Specials for example.

Lunastra

Smash Rookie
NNID
albertpkvtruong
Next question should I start c sticking my aerials cause I don't and I feel that I should pick it up the problem is that I will have to switch my c stick to tilts to get better control in the air but I'm used to things like running up smashes with c stick

Last edited:

Tslos116

Smash Rookie
NNID
thenry116
Dunno if this has been asked before but any suggestions for custom layouts for the gamepad? I don't really feel like spending a ton of money on GC when I've heard it sometimes doesn't work, but the gamepad can sometimes mistake grabs for tilts for whatever reason.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Just curious, are there any significant advantages the GameCube controller has over the new 3DS? Most analysis of the 3DS as a controller has to do with the old 3DS, which lacks the C-stick and ZR and ZL buttons, which greatly hinder it. I only own the 3DS version, so when I bring my 3DS controller to tournaments, people wonder how I do so well with it, but really I think that you can do anything with a new 3DS as you can with a GC controller. So, what are your thoughts on the new 3DS?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
n3DS's right stick feels awkward, it's just so short.... but it's not a terrible option.
I mean, the lack of pointers is not bad as it can be just trained out, and it has more buttons so you have more mapping options.

Just keep in mind that interference is a thing, and these Mobile Devices are prone to it.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
I have trouble doing f-smashes even with hours of practice I can't do it consistency. Like 1/10 I do an f-tilt. Any tips?

Last edited:

GunGuts

Smash Cadet
If you're sometimes doing an f-tilt instead of an f-smash, then you're tilting the stick and not tapping it. You have to "smash" the stick and press A at the same time for a smash attack You could also set the c-stick to smash if you're using a Gamecube controller.

Eren Swaeger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mechs246
3DS FC
0533-6950-4814
Since I play megaman, I have c-still set to smash to do a boost blade. And I have tap jump on for SH lemons. For my other characters, I have c stick set to tilts and l trigger as grab for both megaman and other characters. I use a gc controller :).

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
anyone interested in the ProCube controller, I just got mine in the mail today.

PROS:
  • microUSB! finally we don't need a special i/o charger just for our controller.
  • directional stick has more defined grooves, you can feel where you're at more precisely. huge advantage for some characters.
CONS:
  • the "START/PAUSE" button is a straight up lie.. its the freaking power button.. so anyone using your controller will probably turn the system off if they ever try to pause your game.
  • ZL and ZR are where you would want L and R, if you want a gamecube experience, smash can remap but youre out of luck on any other game.
  • the feel of the controller is pretty cheap, you hear a big hollow echo when you tap the buttons, reminds me of a toy.
  • Anyone following this controller who was hoping for the switch to turn off the controller so that you aren't hitting buttons when it's in your pocket, that feature didn't get added either. =/
  • almost no rumble whatsoever, feels like a rubberband spinning a paperclip inside. its something you hear raddling inside your controller rather than something you feel. makes you feel like somethings broken inside.
Overall pretty disappointed, considering how much hype was surrounding this controller. That's my first impressions, time will tell.

Last edited:

In Bread

Smash Rookie
Overall pretty disappointed, considering how much hype was surrounding this controller. That's my first impressions, time will tell.
would you recommend the regular Pro Controller over the ProCube though?

SAX97

Smash Rookie
NNID
Goneman97
I am starting to try to make the switch from pro controller to game cube (pressure from friends) but am having trouble with up-airs. It just seems like I cant do them fast enough after a jump (I use c-stick for all my aerials). Is this something that just comes with being more familiar or is using up-A a better way to execute them? Specifically I have trouble with things like ZSS U-air combo or double up-air with captain falcon. It is even worth switching? Pros/cons of c-stick location on the two different controllers?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
You shouldn't let yourself be pressured by anyone.
If Tournaments won't allow the PRO is because they don't know about the wired alternative, there's no reason to force a GCC into anyone. If you don't feel comfortable, don't switch.

Dr.Smex

Smash Cadet
My setup is I put the c stick to attack and for my hand I use the claw method: I put my thumb on the c stick and use it for specials too, I put my pointer on the jump button (Y for jumping) and the middle finger on the shield. I can do stuff out of shields, retreating aerials and shielding with ease it helps even more if you learn how to nair with the c stick.

Botcrazy

Smash Rookie
How common is having Z button set to attack? Reading through this I didn't see that as a frequent thing. The only variations I have are Tap Jump = Off, Y = Grab, Z = Attack and everything else default. I'm surprised I didn't see more of this, I found it a godsend when I started using it.

GunGuts

Smash Cadet
Botcrazy Botcrazy Yeah I've never seen anyone use that setup, but I say use any setup that feels most comfortable for you.
------------------------
I use a wiimote + nunchuck, and I was wondering if anyone else used them and what's your setup. I have default controls with tap jump off and down on the d-pad set to grab.

Last edited:

Sebastian Fernandez

Smash Rookie
Casually I call T-stickking "mah tilts" or strat sticking. Totally random. However I find that t-sticking is slightly more cumbersome to use in air. Especially because I am a cloud main so I consistently short hop nair. My secondary is falcon and of course then I just Juggle and string together up-air up-air with the t stick wait for air dodge thunder knee setups.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Botcrazy Botcrazy Yeah I've never seen anyone use that setup, but I say use any setup that feels most comfortable for you.
------------------------
I use a wiimote + nunchuck, and I was wondering if anyone else used them and what's your setup. I have default controls with tap jump off and down on the d-pad set to grab.

Dude, check out the megaman player Scatt. He uses Wiimote and nunchuck and is a high level player. It really depends on your character, style, and willingness to learn differently to determine what control scheme is right for you

Pre-Raphaelite

Smash Rookie
I've set L to jump and use A+B for pivot fsmashes now, thanks a lot for all the advice in the thread works great!

GunGuts

Smash Cadet
Dude, check out the megaman player Scatt. He uses Wiimote and nunchuck and is a high level player. It really depends on your character, style, and willingness to learn differently to determine what control scheme is right for you
Oh, I've definitely seen Scatt and he's amazing. I'm just curious what other people map their wiichuck buttons to, especially since it's a fairly rare controller.

Gerald_

Smash Rookie
This may sound like a silly question but what is the fastest way to sync a wii classic controller without going to the wii u menu. For at a tournament

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Im considering mapping a shoulder button as jump, and right now I have my eyes set on L. It seems like the right hand is overloaded with stuff to do, and it also seems like pressing L and using the cstick to aerial or A to pellet simultaneously will be easier than pressing R while I use the same hand for buttons.

Is there something I may be missing? Are there hidden benefits to using R for jump? I kinda feel like I am going to miss easier powershielding, but as it is I shield too much so I think working it out of my game for now is good.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
If you are to change it, you generally set the shoulder button you don't shield with to jump. It is easier to learn how to jump with an alternate button than how to shield.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Maybe im a freak, but I just kinda alternate using the buttons to shield. Like ill press one to do a SHAD, and then if I land to roll ill use the other button since the other one is still depressed/moving back out.

That probably happens a lot less than I imagine. Hopefully L works well for me. I was linked a video on how to take out the springs and resolder the controller so soft inputs don't register as shields in smash4, but I don't wanna go thru with all that if I don't have to. I'll post how I feel after I play with it for a few days.

Thanks for the help!

Atm0s

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreenStarMario
3DS FC
1075-0882-2177
With the gamecube controller, I'm content with having grab on Z because I don't find it that difficult to press. However, having shield on the shoulder buttons feels so slow to me. Especially in online play where there's minor lag all the time, I find myself being late on the shield by a few frames. So I moved my shield to Y and it works really nicely, the shield pops out a little more consistently. I'm sorta surprised how I don't see this more. Are most people content with the shoulder buttons?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I swapped Z and R's functions and now I shield with Z. It works nice enough.

Top Bottom