• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Contest: The Ultimate Fox Showoff (RULES UPDATE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalal

Smash Ace
Final Destination - I have been trying to master t
Are you the Ultimate Fox Showoff? Prove it - now's your chance to showoff as much as you want in a 2 to 3 minute video. Read the rules below carefully and then if you feel you're up for it, PM me and you'll be added to the participants list! If you are NOT participating anymore, PM me and you'll be deleted from the list.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Note that the rules below are the new rules (the old ones were too strict). But these new rules are still subject to change since the contest hasn't started yet, so check back every once in a while.
-------------------------------------------------------------

- RULES -

- A short video under 3 minutes is to be submitted that demonstrates your tech skill and creativity with Fox (just showoff as much as you can).

- Your videos can be edited with music, a title screen, etc. to make it look attractive, but the gameplay footage MUST contain the game's SOUND effects, so we know you didn't just use AR. Also, since editing is allowed, you can be creative with that to get more points - For example, you could have in your video a scene of you waveshining Link, and then while you are doing this the Link fades into a Peach, and you continue waveshining. They did something like this in DBR Evolution.

- 5 non-biased judges will review your video and give you a rating based on fluidity, creativity, tech skill, variety, and overall impression (the judge's overall impression of your video).

- If you break the second rule about including sound effects, we can't just not include your video, so instead, a penalty will be given. Let's say - 2 points will be deducted from your final score.

- Prize -
... not yet announced ...

- Deadline -
... contest hasn't started yet ...

- Participants -

1. Silent Wolf
2. Hoodie
3. Jarc
4. Juce
5. Doraki
6. emcp7
7. Xin
8. ProsmasherTim
9. Takahashi

10. Dread101
11. Gimpyfish62
12. NJ'zFinest

- Judges -

1. FastFox
2. Nigzel
3. InfernoOmni

Those who don't participate in this contest will also be able to view all the submitted videos, and each of them will be entertaining if they were made with the intent to win the contest. I think it's a good idea.

Keep in mind that this contest has not officially started yet. We are still sorting things out and will be for some time. The rules are not finalized, nothing is. To make this contest work, we'll need to get ideas from SmashBoards members, so feel free to post any suggestions, no matter how small.

Pils

Smash Apprentice
This should be fun :D
I volunteer to be a judge, although I doubt anyone would need my opinion.
And yes, FastFoxvids please.

Dalal

Smash Ace
To make this contest work, we'll need to get ideas from SmashBoards members. Post your ideas on any one of the following:

Judge System
How should the system work? Should we have one Primary Judge who gets more priority than others, or should we have 10 judges who's ratings are equally important. Post about how you think this stuff should work.

Rules
How are the rules I've suggested so far in the first post? Should we add anything? Take off anything? Should we have banned courses that cannot be used in the video? Post anything regarding the rules.

Criteria
Suggest different categories that the judges can use to make their evaluation ex. Creativity, Tech Skill, Variety, Overall Impression etc. I was thinking we could have about 5 main ones.

Prize
We need something that will motivate participants, even if it's not much. I was thinking a special postbit, like a Fox Trophy. When you hover your mouse over it, it says "Ultimate Fox Showoff Prize", or whatever the title is. But for that we'll need to get the help of admins.

Deadline
We should decide on a deadline for when the videos should be submitted. I thought that maybe 3 weeks to a month from when the contest starts is good.

Well, submit your suggestions. Also, if this contest works out, at the end I'll probably make a compilation using every participant's video. The Ultimate Fox Showoff!

Pils

Smash Apprentice
I think we should have up to 10 judges, with a mix of experienced fox players and people who suck at fox, just so we can get different perspectives.

No courses should be banned, I think your rules are fine. It would be cool to see a fox keeping a punching bag alive throughout rainbow cruise. In fact, I'm gonna go try that.

Prize? Get the admins to allow that person to have a special fox avatar or something.

Give the people 3 weeks, most people are too **** impatient to wait any longer XD

D

Deleted member

you're too strict. no one wants to beat up nobody >_>

Silent Wolf wins. Always
youre the only one saying tha cause youre the only one here whos played me. i would win by default. :D TRUST ME!
retreating shine shdls everywhere! things youve never seen or done!
omg silent wolf is AMAZING!
fastest fox player alive!
if i enter a video, it wont be for a while. :(
it will however be 60frames per second haha.
if any of you have seen that falcon thing SDM made, itll be that cool but with fox.:)
dont call me stupid for this post, im just trying to be as full of myself as i can. but seriously, its true son!

i can waveshine almost as fast as they do in perect adventure!
i can shine shdl frame perfectly in any variation consistently son!
shine or no shine single edge lasers perfectly son!
shine turn-arounds across FD VERy fast son!
fat combos on cpus, but thats boring, no adding that for me! son...
aerial shine combos on certain people son!
double shine shdl son!
etc son!
how bout this, whoever thinks theyre faster than me, post a video of you being very fast and ill tell you if youre faster without lying, lol.
perfect control speed population, siletn wolf though

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
youre the only one saying tha cause youre the only one here whos played me. i would win by default. :D TRUST ME!
retreating shine shdls everywhere! things youve never seen or done!
omg silent wolf is AMAZING!
fastest fox player alive!
if i enter a video, it wont be for a while. :(
it will however be 60frames per second haha.
if any of you have seen that falcon thing SDM made, itll be that cool but with fox.:)
dont call me stupid for this post, im just trying to be as full of myself as i can. but seriously, its true son!

i can waveshine as fast as they do in perect adventure!
i can shine shdl frame perfectly in any variation consistently son!
shine or no shine single edge lasers perfectly son! except maybe not the retreat ones as good, lol...son!
shine turn-arounds across FD VERy fast son!
fat combos on cpus, but thats boring, no adding that for me! son...
aerial shine combos on certain people son!
double shine shdl son!
etc son!
how bout this, whoever thinks theyre faster than me, post a video of you being very fast and ill tell you if youre faster without lying, lol.
perfect control speed population, siletn wolf though
A bit arrogant, there.

I know, lol. lets just see what the judges say then. i vouch for no canadian judges! ;)
i need to think of a stage.
btw dalal, that thing you said about the peach and stuff would actually get a good score from the judges...?
i think i might just freestyle.
also, great idea dalal!

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I know, lol. lets just see what the judges say then. i vouch for no canadian judges! ;)
i need to think of a stage.
btw dalal, that thing you said about the peach and stuff would actually get a good score from the judges...?
i think i might just freestyle.
also, great idea dalal!
No Canadian judges is like saying no Canadian players.

Frankly, I don't care what you want.

haha, i mean it like this:
they will vote 4 u!
haha
im actually fine with it, it was a joke. :)
fastfox, go to NCT2 in cali.

emcp7

Smash Apprentice
Why not just use a level 1 comp instead of a non-controlled human? At least for flashy edgeguarding purposes.

Oh yeah, for a second i thought you lived in west canada, sorry.

and emcp7, they might get in the way of greatness.

NG7

Smash Lord
I think it should be a time limit rather than a stock thing.

I'm not gonna watch a 50 stock demo..............

Also a simple idea for one of the judging criteria is the number of techs used. We could use your movement tricks guide and tick them off haha. You could maybe give them each a degree of difficulty and total them at the end.................

Dunno just spitting stuff out.

Dalal

Smash Ace
Well, the reason I didn't want CPUs is because they DI and attack and all that stuff. But I guess if you want to pull some edge guarding stunts, we could have a rule that you can go in training mode or something, where the computer is set to 'Stand'. The only problem with this is, if I ever make a compilation video, the training mode setting won't fit in too well - with all the counters and that column of numbers, but whatever works.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
The bigger problem with Training Mode is that you can't use the C-stick.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I will definitly be entering this is possible.

Acryte

Smash Ace
any exceptions for lightning melee? That takes mad skills too.

Dalal

Smash Ace
NG7 said:
I think it should be a time limit rather than a stock thing. I'm not gonna watch a 50 stock demo...Also a simple idea for one of the judging criteria is the number of techs used. We could use your movement tricks guide and tick them off haha. You could maybe give them each a degree of difficulty and total them at the end.................
Well, so far there is a rule that says your video CANNOT exceed 5 or 6 minutes. You can do stock, time mode, or whatever, but your video must not exceed that time. We want the competitors to be as creative as possible, so we should give them a lot of options.

About the criteria, I don't think we should have a set amount of points for each trick, since the video people submit could contain almost any combination of tricks AND there are many, many, different Fox tricks that are possible, way more than in the Fox Movement Tricks thread. Some guy could do a reverse SHDL to a triple shine, to an SHL, to a double shine, to a reverse SHL, to a shine, to an SHL, to a shine, to a Super Doraki Edgehog Special LOL. Almost anything is possible. As long as it looks impressive, it's good. Imagine some guy purposely dropping a bomb on himself, then ledge teching the hit into a ledge wavedash. There is no name for that - and we can't have points for everything people come up with, so we'll have to be loose when judging the tricks. There should be simple criteria like: Fluidity, Variety, Creativity etc. where each category can have a maximum of 5 stars. At the end, we tally them up and whoever gets the highest is the winner.

Lixivium said:
The bigger problem with Training Mode is that you can't use the C-stick.
Haha, true, but it's up to the participant whether he wants to sacrifice the c-stick for the oppurtunity to perform flashy edgeguards, I guess. What do you think?

Acryte said:
any exceptions for lightning melee? That takes mad skills too.
You're right, but if the participant chooses to do Lightning Melee, he'll have to record the whole video in lightning Melee, since you are only allowed to record one session - that means ONE stage, ONE mode, and ONE everything else. If he chooses to do so, then he might not have that many tricks to perform in Lightning Melee. But if he can waveshine, SHL, drillshine, and do all the stuff in Lightning Melee, it would be cool, but how consistent could you be? I don't know, I think we should just stick with normal modes. But what does everyone else think?

Dalal

Smash Ace
I want to enter my combo video but it says I can't have an opponent >_>
I don't think we're going to allow any combo videos in this contest. Let me explain why - Combo videos don't contain proof that you can perform all the included moves consistently. They are simply a compilation of a player's best moments, of which some would have been taped 4 years ago, and some taped a month ago. And almost anyone can make themselves look great in a combo video. Just setup a scene and record it over and over until you get the infinite drillshine on Peach. Save that vid, then do another of Fox performing 12 JC'd shines in a row. Then take a few scenes from REAL matches where you accidentally performed some awesome combos. At the end put them together with music and you make yourself look good, even though in real life you can't perform those moves too well. You're just saving the vids where you got lucky. If we allow a cut-up, edited video in this contest, it wouldn't be right. For a true of show of skills, you need to be able to record a complete, one-session video of you showing off with Fox. True, some people will choreograph a scene and than keep recording it until they get it perfect, but that requires more skill than repeatedly attempting a move until you get it right, and then saving that recording. That's cheap.

So that's why from the contest start date, 3 weeks or so will be given to create a cool video. Not from tournaments, not from friendlies, but all yourself. Showing off your tech skill with one dummy there. That's all this contest is about.

And by the way, UmbreonMow, in the first paragraph of this post, when I say 'YOU'. I'm not referring to you. I know you're good and didn't just setup the combos in your vid but I'm just saying - other people COULD for this contest. See what I'm saying? Also, Yaoi? Ew...

To everyone, keep coming with suggestions. I want to get the contest started soon.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
This looks interesting. Too bad I can't participate here because I don't have a capture card. And also my fox is looking kinda unsexy lately too.....

But Dalal I could gladly be a judge if you need any.

Edit: I just read about the judge system and 10 judges with equally important ratings sounds more fair.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about this idea. It would be cool to compare foxes, but having either a standing computer or just a random human player isn't really representative of a fox's ability. Isn't DI a huge part of the game? I'm not too impressed when I see a video where there is NO intelligent opponent, because there's nothing to anticipate. It's also difficult to get into position to pull of a sick combo and do it on the fly as opposed to coming up with combos to do on a dead opponent.

That being said, it's not really possible to have equal opponents any other way. So while I like the concept, IMO it's flawed.

and THAT being said, I'd still consider making a vid :p

So idk. what's your 2 cents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom