• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Is there a good guide on the use of pellets? I sometime struggle to capitalize after getting some of them to hit.
I actually use pellets more for spacing and to stop opponents from going aggro on me, but you might start with this video for a few tips on playing MM :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oxbjcKBXX4

There is also a few threads for useful info on MM in general:

http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-win-with-mega-man.376584/

http://smashboards.com/threads/wood-mans-treehouse-a-leaf-shield-guide.374719/page-4#post-18237077

http://smashboards.com/threads/lets-blow-stuff-up-a-guide-to-crash-bomb.377296/#post-18274718

http://smashboards.com/threads/mega-guide-for-mega-men.373533/

Check them out, opana's mega guide in particular has some useful info on pellets, tho i haven't read it after the 1.04 patch so i don't know the changes there, it still is worth reading.

Vega4993

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vega4993-2.0
3DS FC
1779-1926-3986
So I tried Megaman after a long time of training with my 3 mains and I actually felt very comfortable. Any tips on what attacks are safe? not like his projectiles, but his other attacks. Thinking of having Rock as a pocket

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
His safest attacks are some of his projectiles though. Jab, nair, and ftilt are all very safe. Usmash is good if the opponent is trying to come down directly on top of you. Fmash is decently safe from a distance if they don't have a reflect/absorb. Uair is also safer from a vertical distance (it can even be shorthopped to hit people still standing on the ground).

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
I was facing a really good bowser last day and something really caught my attencion: I got a nice fair on the bowser player and pocreded to edge guard with Bair, the lighting thing showed up; I told to myself <<Well, GG dude>> while returning to the stage The bowser player survived.......Twice. First the Bair and then a Btrow. What I find really odd is that the lighting thing showed up in multiple ocasions and he still managed to survived. I tested with a friend, in training and against one guy in FG but they all died. I know this has something to do with DI but, How do you do it?

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
The lightning shows up if a player would be KO'd by that attack assuming no DI.

Basically, your launch on your hit is a line of pre-determined length. Let's say you land an utilt that does 100 Arbitrary Knockback Units straight up. If a player is not holding a direction when they get hit by it, or they are holding straight up or down, they will travel 100% upwards. However, if they are holding left or right, they instead travel 100 AKU at a 25 degree angle to the side. If we do some trigonometry, we can calculate the new distance. We have (100 * cos(25)) = 90.63 units of vertical knockback. If the top blast zone for the stage is at, let's say 95 AKU above the players, if they didn't DI, they would cross that boundary, so the game shows the flash. However, if they do hold to the side, they still travel 100 units away, except only about 90 of it is upwards, meaning they don't cross that boundary.

The key take away from this is, if you're about to get hit, you need to hold perpendicular to the direction you're going to get launched. So, if you're the Bowser in this scenario, and you're trying to recover, whether you see the attack coming or not, you're likely holding up (in preparation for your Up-B at the last second) so when you hit him with Bair and launched him sideways, he counteracted that with an upward direction, meaning he didn't get knocked far enough to the side to be killed. If he hadn't been holding up, he would have died, and the game noticed that, and gave him the lightning flash.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
So I play against two relatively solid Mega Man mains on the regular and no matter what character I use I cannot seem to find a way inside of Mega Man's zone. I primarily play Falcon, R.O.B., and Link--3 completely different characters (to a degree). If I approach I get bombarded with pellets, saws, and crash bomber. If I try to shield, I get grabbed. If I camp I wait until the Mega Man gets inside my zone as he approaches with his projectiles. Even recovering is a problem because the saw covers multiple angles, going above the ledge is a problem because of the lag-cancelled u-air, and if I'm read properly I get spiked for going below the ledge.

Basically I'm trying to figure out what are Mega Man's weaknesses? What stages/matchups does he struggle with? I can't figure this character out for the life of me. Any help would be appreciated.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
So I play against two relatively solid Mega Man mains on the regular and no matter what character I use I cannot seem to find a way inside of Mega Man's zone. I primarily play Falcon, R.O.B., and Link--3 completely different characters (to a degree). If I approach I get bombarded with pellets, saws, and crash bomber. If I try to shield, I get grabbed. If I camp I wait until the Mega Man gets inside my zone as he approaches with his projectiles. Even recovering is a problem because the saw covers multiple angles, going above the ledge is a problem because of the lag-cancelled u-air, and if I'm read properly I get spiked for going below the ledge.

Basically I'm trying to figure out what are Mega Man's weaknesses? What stages/matchups does he struggle with? I can't figure this character out for the life of me. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Mediocre killing moves either hard to land, or hella unsafe. Although judging from your 3 mains, their recoveries all seem pretty bad, so MM is prolly still able to edgeguard you offstage with Slash Claw and Hard Knuckle.
  • Has a harder time dealing with reflectors than other characters do. You play ROB, so maybe your SideB would work?
  • Doesn't really have a lot of combo options, although Metal/Shadow Blades into Grab combos are pretty amazing as him.
  • No traditional Jab, Ftilt, or Nair; replaced by his Mega Buster. Some of his normals are kinda unsafe on shield due to it, especially against opponents who are super close..
  • Metal Blades can be caught and thrown back it him, although I wouldn't say it's a big deal.
  • Heavyweight. He's pretty hard to KO with his amazingly unpredictable recovery and his weight, but it also makes it a little easier to catch him in combos. With Falcon and ROB, Dthrow to Uair should work nicely.

Last edited:

jjvirus

Smash Champion
  • Mediocre killing moves either hard to land, or hella unsafe. Although judging from your 3 mains, their recoveries all seem pretty bad, so MM is prolly still able to edgeguard you offstage with Slash Claw and Hard Knuckle.
  • Has a harder time dealing with reflectors than other characters do. You play ROB, so maybe your SideB would work?
  • Doesn't really have a lot of combo options, although Metal/Shadow Blades into Grab combos are pretty amazing as him.
  • No traditional Jab, Ftilt, or Nair; replaced by his Mega Buster. Some of his normals are kinda unsafe on shield due to it, especially against opponents who are super close..
  • Metal Blades can be caught and thrown back it him, although I wouldn't say it's a big deal.
  • Heavyweight. He's pretty hard to KO with his amazingly unpredictable recovery and his weight, but it also makes it a little easier to catch him in combos. With Falcon and ROB, Dthrow to Uair should work nicely.
Noted. Thanks.

Any recommendations on stage counterpicks? Or any striking character matchups Mega Man struggles with?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Noted. Thanks.

Any recommendations on stage counterpicks? Or any striking character matchups Mega Man struggles with?
Kongo Jungle is bad for Mega Man IMO. Most of our moveset is very horizontal, so the divot in the center makes it harder to land our attacks. The barrel makes recoveries less predicable and gimps tougher to pull off, which hurts our offstage game. Finally, most of our finishers (usmash, dsmash, utilt, uair) kill off the ceiling, and Kongo Jungle has a high ceiling, so that further hurts our ability to seal stocks. Pretty much the only good thing about the stage for us is that we can sometimes circle camp it.

Lylat Cruise also sucks for different reasons. The platform design and rotation can eat our projectiles, and the stupid ledge thwarts our UpB all, the, time. That could be a good counterpick for ROB, as his projectiles don't care much about the rotation and his recovery doesn't get the finger from the stage like MM's does.

angelar

Smash Rookie
I like to think my Megaman is at worst mediocre, but whenever I get into a sudden death situation my gameplay falls apart. What should my gameplan be? I don't feel like Megaman has any especially safe kill moves during SD last I checked into it in training mode, so I find that strategies that work fine with other characters don't really service as well for Megaman...

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I like to think my Megaman is at worst mediocre, but whenever I get into a sudden death situation my gameplay falls apart. What should my gameplan be? I don't feel like Megaman has any especially safe kill moves during SD last I checked into it in training mode, so I find that strategies that work fine with other characters don't really service as well for Megaman...
I usually just put up Leaf Shield and see what my opponent does.

If you manage to grab them--and Leaf Shield makes that easier to do--then a throw will kill. Tossing the Leaf Shield will also sometimes kill if it hits, and if not you can follow up with any number of attacks.

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
How does mega man make the opponent "slip and fall"? I'm referring to the fall where MM Is able to go into lemon lock or leaf lock combos.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Item tossed Metal Blades can cause them to enter that state if they don't tech. Slash Claw (bair) will also do it.

Blue24

Smash Cadet
Hello, I don't know if this has been answered already, but is there a reason outside of aesthetics why if you use the C-Stick to throw a metal blade (air and ground) you get a star animation. AFAIK, this only happens on C-stick blade tosses.

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
Hello, I don't know if this has been answered already, but is there a reason outside of aesthetics why if you use the C-Stick to throw a metal blade (air and ground) you get a star animation. AFAIK, this only happens on C-stick blade tosses.
It happens because you have your c stick set to smash. If you hold a MB and tap Forward + jab you will get the same animation. So try smashing forward while holding a MB. It'll give you the same thing.

Blue24

Smash Cadet
It happens because you have your c stick set to smash. If you hold a MB and tap Forward + jab you will get the same animation. So try smashing forward while holding a MB. It'll give you the same thing.
So its just for looks then? Okay thanks!

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
I've been testing his volcano flames in For Glory, and i usually have a good success rate when i spot dodge a grab from my opponent, then immediatly following up with volcano flames. also, does anyone know how to space charging a smash attack like anti at the ledge? i noticed he does this with his mario, and i'm baffled at how some high competetive ppl go in and try to challenge it. can megaman do that like anti?

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Flame Blast (down smash) is a super risky move with a great payoff if it hits. I rarely use it due to how dangerous it is if I whiff. It is best used when you have a very good idea of what your opponent is going to do.

I'm not sure what you mean with your second question.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
hi guys, i want to main megaman. someone can give me some tips to start?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Welcome to the awesome!

To start, I'd say practice his godly ranged jab, the lemon! It is arguably his most important asset. Practice short hop shooting by sliding your thumb from jab immediately to jump. This offers Mega some great mobility and helps him weave in and out of combat. By jumping while doing this you make his gun arm have that awesome Nair hit box that deals solid knock back if his gun arm makes contact with an opponent.

One of Mega's biggest strengths is controlling the flow of combat, and one of the biggest ways he does this is by interrupting his opponent with his lemons! After said interruption he can create his own rhythm and control the fight. So, practice them lemons!

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
After watching that video on the forums home page, I got thinking... Would it be useful for us to study how useful Mega Man's crouch, or legit duck in his case, is? I have noticed it seems to really reduce his hurt box! If it makes sense to do so, I could make a thread for it!

Edit: a particular aspect to study would be, is there a frame difference between doing an action OoS vs. Out of Crouch (OoC)?

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Is there a thread about mega mans ledge guarding/ gimping game and the different characters that certain techniques work on?

If not someone make one. I suck at edge guarding and gimping with mega man. All I know how to do is LS gimp and back air off stage.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Is there a thread about mega mans ledge guarding/ gimping game and the different characters that certain techniques work on?

If not someone make one. I suck at edge guarding and gimping with mega man. All I know how to do is LS gimp and back air off stage.
I second this.
I do know we have this one http://smashboards.com/threads/ledge-options.378572/#post-18027176 for what to do when we are on the ledge and the opponent on stage, and there is a few tips on edgeguarding options too but we could really use a more detailed thread on it.

Reggie Amiibo

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpadgerBadger
3DS FC
5472-6503-9144
If I'm charging side smash against a Fox in order to catch them off guard when they're landing, but they pull out their reflector and just stand and wait, is there a way to cancel the damage I'll take when it's reflected?

I've tried shielding, but the shot comes back too quick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue24

Smash Cadet
I have killed with Dtilt a few times. Is this a sweet spot? and if so where is it.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
I can't figure out the mechanic that determines if Mega Man does or doesn't grab the ledge after using Rush Coil. Sometimes he'll sweetspot it and other times he won't grab the edge until after the move is complete. Do you have to hold a certain direction to enable or disable sweespotting like with Dedede?

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
I can't figure out the mechanic that determines if Mega Man does or doesn't grab the ledge after using Rush Coil. Sometimes he'll sweetspot it and other times he won't grab the edge until after the move is complete. Do you have to hold a certain direction to enable or disable sweespotting like with Dedede?
I always go low enought to make sure I will catch the edge. I also think holding the direction the wall is may help Megaman but it needs more testing.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Can MM's Dsmash hit someone who is clinging to the ledge? And if so, does it spike?
Yes Dmshash can hit people holding the ledge, no it doesn't spike, it still sends them upwards. You can still use it to kill people who like to regrab ledges though, they lose invincibility from grabbing the ledge again.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Is losing the utility of Up Smash OoS worth it to take tap jump off so I don't accidentally use my double jump when trying to recover?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Is losing the utility of Up Smash OoS worth it to take tap jump off so I don't accidentally use my double jump when trying to recover?
Assuming you're using a Gamecube controller (or anything similar) I always just set my my R button to jump so I can still do Usmashes and UpBs out of Shield without Tap Jump on. You can always use that.

Top Bottom