• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
ive been trying out shadow blade sets, but im getting frustrated by shadow blade being pefrect shielded everytime. the worse thing is the end lag to the move. is there more end lag to shadow blade than metal blade?
Yes.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
How do you guys deal with characters with reflectors like fox?
Reflectors behave differently, and require different responses.

Most reflectors/absorbers have long cooldown, though, and some have even longer cooldown if they whiff. Against someone like Fox, you can just grab him or run up and usmash.

Other reflects, like Palutena's and Falco's, only cover the areas in front of them. You can jump over the reflector and hit them with a dair, or angle a Metal Blade around the reflector (requires some good timing), or land behind them with a uair.

If you're up against people who spam reflectors, just use pellets. Firing two lemons will do 4% if they hit, and cancel each other out if reflected.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Also, if you bring along Skull Barrier, one cool thing to do is to pick up a blade, put on your barrier, and throw the blade. If they reflect it, you'll bounce it right back for even more damage. If they shield it, you can grab them.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
how do i deal with the (weaving to expect me to commit to a move, then punish my landing) playstyle? i'm so annoyed, cuz i usually am agressive when i play megaman, but this greninja on for glory was doing this so much to me, i had to play his game. i mean all he did was full hop towards me, then back hop, then run towards me, then jump up.

rinse, repeat -_-

if i didn't do anything he'd throw a water blade at me, then run away, and do his sonic playstyle all over again! this guy isn't even good! how does megaman deal with this???

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So I have been trying to learn MM for a bit now as a serious character/secondary and wanna learn what are his best punishes out of shield, frame data, crash bomb and metal blade setups, what characters give him trouble and what to do when people are up in your grill constantly?

Last edited:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Is there an official Match-Up discussion thread? I can only find one for general MU questions.
If there isn't one, I think there SHOULD be...

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
What are the go-to customs for Mega Man right now? I know Beat and Danger Wrap are pretty good, but what about down-B / Neutral-B? I think Hyper Bomb has potential.

Also, I feel like I don't use lemons enough in neutral. Are they that important or are they just good for punishing moves or something?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
What are the go-to customs for Mega Man right now? I know Beat and Danger Wrap are pretty good, but what about down-B / Neutral-B? I think Hyper Bomb has potential.

Also, I feel like I don't use lemons enough in neutral. Are they that important or are they just good for punishing moves or something?
The closest thing we have to a go-to custom is Danger Wrap. Everything else is debateable. Even Danger Wrap is debateable.

There are people who will swear by pretty much every one of a Mega Man's customs options. I'm one of the Tornado Hold and Leaf Shield boosters -- my favorite blind pick loadout is 1321.

I think most people would agree that you should be switching out customs according to which character you're facing. Skull Barrier is great vs. Villager but not so much vs. Ike, for example.

Lemons are arguably MM's best move and certainly the most important to his playstyle. They're like a better, more versatile version of Falco's laser.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
So I haven been trying to learn MM for a bit now as a serious character/secondary and wanna learn what are his best punishes out of shield, frame data, crash bomb and metal blade setups, what characters give him trouble and what to do when people are up in your grill constantly?
Spark Shock is an amazing punish. It comes out fast, has a huge hitbox, does great damage, and lasts long enough to trap a spotdodge. It's pretty much your go-to punish for most things. If you get the chance, utilt is your best kill move, if you can get it off of a punish, go for it. If you're too far away to Usmash but you still want to hit them, dtilt is a good gap closer that does more damage than lemons.

There's a thread on Crash Bomb and Leaf Shield setups on the main board, you should read them, it's a lot more in depth than I can go into here.

As for Metal Blades, there's a lot to talk about. First of, a blade in the hand is worth two in the foe. Literally. A Metal Blade tossed as an item will likely hit twice, while a normal tossed metal blade will only hit once. (I think this happens if you don't Smash throw it) If you have time, throw a blade downward and pick it up. If you crouch and c-stick forward while holding metal blades, you can start your pellet salvo, and once it's started, you can press A to continue it, move around, and jump. If you full hop a diagonal metal blade and follow it on its way down, it'll combo into a utilt for an easy kill.

More important than the blades are the lemons. Master these moves. You need to get to the point where you can basically move around however you want in the air while firing them. Also, practice short hopping at any point in the combo to continue it in the air.

Mega Man has trouble with a lot of the top tiers, although he's got some good gimp options against Diddy, you might have a hard time getting him off stage to do them. In addition to the big 3 of Diddy, Shiek, and Rosalina, Yoshi has super armor passively against small knockback, which means that at low percents, he can power through lemons and crash bomb explosions, and he has full super armor during his double jump which makes bair gimping effectively impossible. Surprisingly, though, Mega Man is great against Villager, who you'd think would counter Mega Man's style, but it turns out that you are a lot better at using your tools than he is, so as long as you don't give him an Fsmash, he can't use your stuff against you. Additionally, Crash Bomb explodes on contact with the tree, and Metal Blades go straight through it, meaning the tree is useless as a camping tool. Your lemons can cancel out his slingshots and gyroids. If it's a customs Villager with the ledge of death, you can take your Skull Barrier custom to reflect everything as you casually stroll over to him and stage spike him.

Good matchups for Mega Man are a lot of the almost-but-not-quite top tiers like Luigi and Ness. Luigi's shield slide means that a lot of your moves that weren't safe on shield now are, and Mega Man's a fairly heavy fighter, which makes Luigi's KO combos hard to pull off. Ness will have trouble getting in to grab you if you keep up the pressure, and remember to use your leaf shield.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Spark Shock is an amazing punish. It comes out fast, has a huge hitbox, does great damage, and lasts long enough to trap a spotdodge. It's pretty much your go-to punish for most things. If you get the chance, utilt is your best kill move, if you can get it off of a punish, go for it. If you're too far away to Usmash but you still want to hit them, dtilt is a good gap closer that does more damage than lemons.

There's a thread on Crash Bomb and Leaf Shield setups on the main board, you should read them, it's a lot more in depth than I can go into here.

As for Metal Blades, there's a lot to talk about. First of, a blade in the hand is worth two in the foe. Literally. A Metal Blade tossed as an item will likely hit twice, while a normal tossed metal blade will only hit once. (I think this happens if you don't Smash throw it) If you have time, throw a blade downward and pick it up. If you crouch and c-stick forward while holding metal blades, you can start your pellet salvo, and once it's started, you can press A to continue it, move around, and jump. If you full hop a diagonal metal blade and follow it on its way down, it'll combo into a utilt for an easy kill.

More important than the blades are the lemons. Master these moves. You need to get to the point where you can basically move around however you want in the air while firing them. Also, practice short hopping at any point in the combo to continue it in the air.

Mega Man has trouble with a lot of the top tiers, although he's got some good gimp options against Diddy, you might have a hard time getting him off stage to do them. In addition to the big 3 of Diddy, Shiek, and Rosalina, Yoshi has super armor passively against small knockback, which means that at low percents, he can power through lemons and crash bomb explosions, and he has full super armor during his double jump which makes bair gimping effectively impossible. Surprisingly, though, Mega Man is great against Villager, who you'd think would counter Mega Man's style, but it turns out that you are a lot better at using your tools than he is, so as long as you don't give him an Fsmash, he can't use your stuff against you. Additionally, Crash Bomb explodes on contact with the tree, and Metal Blades go straight through it, meaning the tree is useless as a camping tool. Your lemons can cancel out his slingshots and gyroids. If it's a customs Villager with the ledge of death, you can take your Skull Barrier custom to reflect everything as you casually stroll over to him and stage spike him.

Good matchups for Mega Man are a lot of the almost-but-not-quite top tiers like Luigi and Ness. Luigi's shield slide means that a lot of your moves that weren't safe on shield now are, and Mega Man's a fairly heavy fighter, which makes Luigi's KO combos hard to pull off. Ness will have trouble getting in to grab you if you keep up the pressure, and remember to use your leaf shield.
Ok thanks for the info and I know about the characters having issues with top tiers. I play Falco, Robin, Marcina and Bowser so this is not new for me. Any good ways to set up into F smash kiils also does his down tilt slide under projectiles just curious?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
dtilt does slide under some projectiles. Thoron is an example.

Also I don't think Mega has issues with Top tiers not named Sheik (or CF if you consider him one). No worse than even matchups against any of the rest of them, imo

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
dtilt does slide under some projectiles. Thoron is an example.

Also I don't think Mega has issues with Top tiers not named Sheik (or CF if you consider him one). No worse than even matchups against any of the rest of them, imo
How is the Mega/Falcon MU any bad? It seems okay, but I guess Falcon's super-rushdown playstyle makes sense.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
We make it hard for CF to approach, but he has mobility options to get in, and his punishes are ridiculous. If he guesses our recovery once, we die. If we guess him once, we usually have to guess in 2-3x more to actually get the kill. it's not all that terrible, but the general consensus is that it's his favor

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Ok thanks for the info and I know about the characters having issues with top tiers. I play Falco, Robin, Marcina and Bowser so this is not new for me. Any good ways to set up into F smash kiils also does his down tilt slide under projectiles just curious?
FSmash hits most characters on ledge, do a Ledge Trump, roll in, then charge at the ledge. If they regrab, it'll hit. Some characters hang too low to get hit by an uncharged shot, but nearly everyone will get hit by a charged one, if they give you enough time.

Yojimbosan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yojimbosan
I was just wondering how everyone went about unlocking Mega Man's customs moves. Classic mode? All star? Trophy Rush? I've been spamming Trophy Rush with Mega Man but have yet to unlock the Tornado hold and Skull barrier.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I was just wondering how everyone went about unlocking Mega Man's customs moves. Classic mode? All star? Trophy Rush? I've been spamming Trophy Rush with Mega Man but have yet to unlock the Tornado hold and Skull barrier.
You get more moves for the characters you play as more often, so by the time I cleared classic at 9.0, all the multi-man smashes, all the target tests, and 20 floors of crazy orders, I had them all.

I'd say Crazy Orders is your best bet, try to get a Home-run bat equipment along with Quick Batter and First Striker Invulnerability and just bat metals and giants until you get a lot of moves.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
It might be a stupid question but other than d-throw fair at low percent does megaman have any other combo ? Just want to make sure i didn't miss something

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
It might be a stupid question but other than d-throw fair at low percent does megaman have any other combo ? Just want to make sure i didn't miss something
you mean true combos? tbh, idk....i know there's a mixup where you can down throw, fake short hop into them, like you're going to flame sword, fast fall behind them, and charge f smash, and shoot. i land this so easily on fg ppl. when you pull off this move, it really demorializes your opp, cuz they're trying to desperatly land

if you time it right, down tilt their landing, so they're still up in the air. they'll be up in the air 3 times, and omg they spam air dodge, or they are in hit stun as they are falling

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Off the top of my head:

Full Hopped Diagonal Metal Blade -> utilt
Full Hopped Diagonal Metal Blade -> grab
Full Hopped Diagonal Metal Blade -> usmash
Landing uair -> uair (until high percents)
Landing uair -> fair/bair (low percents)
Dthrow->full hopped sweetspot nair->nair (low percents, can be followed up with another grab or usmash)
(Item) Metal Blade -> lemons
(Item) Metal Blade -> grab (until high percents)
(Item) Metal Blade -> usmash (until mid percents)
JCGT downward Metal Blade -> JCGT downward Metal Blade (low percents only)
Danger Wrap -> full hopped Danger Wrap (lowish percents)
"Clean" Tornado Hold -> double jump nair / bair / fair (until high midish percents)
"Late" Tornado Hold -> fast falled nair / fair / bair (you hit them as they're rising in Tornado)
"Clean" Tornado Hold -> double jump Danger Wrap (vs. fast falling characters around 80% or so)

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Hey, can any of you guys give me tips with dealing with Zelda and R.O.B.? I've been having trouble with those characters on For Glory.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
for the zelda matchup, the best move she has against megaman is the reflector. it sucks the reflector has a hitbox too, so its not safe to grab, and it's got a bigger hitbox than fox's. wat you gotta do is expect zelda to use her reflector, then go in. try to incorporate standing a bit, or throwing pellets, and wait for her to reflect. at the end of the reflector, that's when you punish.

is there any specific setups zelda is using that you have a hard time against?

Last edited:

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Comparing zucco's vs kismet's playstyle, which do you all feel has the most potential in competitive play? Or would a mix of the two possibly be best?

If you don't know what I'm talking about you'll probably need to YouTube some videos. To overly simplify it, I would say zucco plays a very technical and defensive game. Lots of metal blade plays, pellets for spacing, and a good mix of everything else with lots of short hopping. Kismet seems more aggressive, with tons of full hopping to mix in double f-airs, f-air to falling u-air, b-air to u-air, f-air to n-airs, etc. The pellets seem to come out often when he just needs to create space by landing them pointblank for knock back.

When I learned mega man I tried to immulate zucco, but I've recently been trying to mix it up with some of Kismet's tactics. Overall I like zuccos play style, but I feel like there is less room for error because you rack up damage slower than with Kismet's style.

PS: any of the top mega players willing to play me online in some non-ditto matches? I could use some input on what to work on. NNID is "Peels-network-id"

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Comparing zucco's vs kismet's playstyle, which do you all feel has the most potential in competitive play? Or would a mix of the two possibly be best?

If you don't know what I'm talking about you'll probably need to YouTube some videos. To overly simplify it, I would say zucco plays a very technical and defensive game. Lots of metal blade plays, pellets for spacing, and a good mix of everything else with lots of short hopping. Kismet seems more aggressive, with tons of full hopping to mix in double f-airs, f-air to falling u-air, b-air to u-air, f-air to n-airs, etc. The pellets seem to come out often when he just needs to create space by landing them pointblank for knock back.

When I learned mega man I tried to immulate zucco, but I've recently been trying to mix it up with some of Kismet's tactics. Overall I like zuccos play style, but I feel like there is less room for error because you rack up damage slower than with Kismet's style.

PS: any of the top mega players willing to play me online in some non-ditto matches? I could use some input on what to work on. NNID is "Peels-network-id"
Definitely Zucco, I'd say. I've seen Kimset before and to be brutally honest, I don't really think he's that good, wouldn't even call him top 10. From his gameplay videos, I haven't really seen him fight anyone who actually knows what he's doing other than TheReflexWonder (who beat him single-handedly, twice) and most of his opponents didn't really seem to know the matchup against Mega Man very well. And a lot of those 'combos' he was doing aren't real, the fact that he does Fair to Uair for example is highly questionable: anyone with a really fast Nair (which includes more than half of the cast) can just hit him out of it. His opponents didn't seem to be aware of that and let him get away with it. I mean, unless your enemy is really unaware or if you only do it on occasion to mix things up, you're probably not going to get away with his tactics on anyone competent, and that trying to rely on said tactics would do more harm than good.

At best, I personally find Kimset only a slightly above average Mega Man, and while I got a bit to learn myself, I think I'd benefit more from following Zucco and SSguy than him. With Kimset, stuff that's working really shouldn't be working, I feel.

As for my own question, what 2 stages are worth banning for Mega Man? Huge National I'm going to tomorrow with over 140 entrants, and I wanna know real quick before I go.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Definitely Zucco, I'd say. I've seen Kimset before and to be brutally honest, I don't really think he's that good, wouldn't even call him top 10. From his gameplay videos, I haven't really seen him fight anyone who actually knows what he's doing other than TheReflexWonder (who beat him single-handedly, twice) and most of his opponents didn't really seem to know the matchup against Mega Man very well. And a lot of those 'combos' he was doing aren't real, the fact that he does Fair to Uair for example is highly questionable: anyone with a really fast Nair (which includes more than half of the cast) can just hit him out of it. His opponents didn't seem to be aware of that and let him get away with it. I mean, unless your enemy is really unaware or if you only do it on occasion to mix things up, you're probably not going to get away with his tactics on anyone competent, and that trying to rely on said tactics would do more harm than good.

At best, I personally find Kimset only a slightly above average Mega Man, and while I got a bit to learn myself, I think I'd benefit more from following Zucco and SSguy than him. With Kimset, stuff that's working really shouldn't be working, I feel.

As for my own question, what 2 stages are worth banning for Mega Man? Huge National I'm going to tomorrow with over 140 entrants, and I wanna know real quick before I go.
Kongo Jungle is definitely worth banning if it's a counterpick (but it's not in most tournaments nowadays). High ceiling, barrel saving people from would-be gimps, and the divot in the middle are all bad for Mega Man.

Halberd is a mixed bag. With customs on, you can pop people up with Tornado Hold and KO absurdly early with Danger Wrap, and Mega Man often benefits from the disruption of the stage hazards. On the other hand, divot and platform in the middle can be used by short characters to camp. I say ban it with customs off, consider banning with customs on.

Lylat is another mixed bag. Layout and stage boundaries are pretty good, but the stage's rotation and platforms can mess with our projectiles.

I'm not a huge fan of Duck Hunt myself. The high ceilings make it hard for us to KO and the ducks and dog can be disruptive. Otherwise not too bad.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
It depends who you are playing as well.

Against custom villager try to go to stages that you can't go under like duck hunt, or use ones that have changing ledges like dellfino or castle siege so he can't ledge camp.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
How useful is Crash Bombs on the ledge? This might just be pure luck, but considering some characters recovery close to the ledge, it might be useful. I asked, because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTCuG-Vcs1I.
Well, we will usually throw a Crash bomb or a MB while recovering, and while that might happen, is very gimmicky. Sometimes that may also set the opponent for us to spike with dair, but again, is very gimmicky and the timing is very difficult.

I have been trying to pull that off as an edgeguard, but most of the time is better to just z-drop a MB or do something else.

Edit: obviously, when something like that happens, is just the best thing ever XD.

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
How is your sheik matchup? I already use Megaman as a side character, but if he has a good sheik matchup i might actually put in some real work into him.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
(Someone already said this somewhere, but I lost it. Whoever it was, consider thyself quoted!)

I second the notion that Shadow Blade seems to travel further post patch. Can someone confirm this?

If it is indeed true, do we have a resident Shadow Blade expert? Is this a buff? :)

Edit: Nevermind, I believe I fell victim to placebo!

Last edited:

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Forgive my unwillingness to look through ten pages to see if anyone's talked about this, but I have a bit of a technical issue. I've got no problem advancing/retreating with nair. It's easy to get the hang of the timing and when to utilize it, but if I retreat with nairs, I normally get two shots out, land, and before I fire the third shot (or even if I think I shouldn't fire the third shot), I end up turned around, and this is often not the direction I want to be facing.

It's pretty obvious why this is happening, but what's the best way to mitigate it? Should I pull another short hop as I land, or just let go of the stick when I'm landing? Either or, depending on the situation?

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Is the attack + special move for smash new, or just the option to turn it off is new? I'm thinking about switching c-stick to attack for easier up and down tilts, and better c-stick aerial mobility. The main reason I had smash to c-stick was for pivot forward smashes. I've been trying to practice pivot fsmash with a + b, but can't nail it 100% yet. Anyone else switch or have tips on its input?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
What's the best way to deal with a Wario that keeps spamming the bike? I played a Wario a while ago on FG that was doing this. Unfortunately, they seemed better than me even when they weren't doing that so even when I started to get around it I still had a hard time. Which made it all the more annoying because it was just some guy being a **** to annoy strangers (i.e. it wasn't his only way of winning). Usually pretty satisfying to beat the spammers out there because most of them aren't actually any good if they can't spam arrows or Electroshock or whatever.

But anyway, pellets and CB don't knock him off the bike, and LS is slow (not sure if it would work anyway). Metal Blade works, but this guy was good enough to wheelie or jump off almost every time I did that. Even then, you get 3% here or there, but it doesn't really slow him down much. He would even slow the bike down and speed it up again to hit me when I land if I was trying to avoid other ways.

I feel like there should be an easy answer to this, because I certainly don't see Warios doing that in tourney matches on YouTube, so I assume there's a good punish...

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Forgive my unwillingness to look through ten pages to see if anyone's talked about this, but I have a bit of a technical issue. I've got no problem advancing/retreating with nair. It's easy to get the hang of the timing and when to utilize it, but if I retreat with nairs, I normally get two shots out, land, and before I fire the third shot (or even if I think I shouldn't fire the third shot), I end up turned around, and this is often not the direction I want to be facing.

It's pretty obvious why this is happening, but what's the best way to mitigate it? Should I pull another short hop as I land, or just let go of the stick when I'm landing? Either or, depending on the situation?
Just realized the answer for this is actually on the very first page of the techs and tricks topic.

What's the best way to deal with a Wario that keeps spamming the bike? I played a Wario a while ago on FG that was doing this. Unfortunately, they seemed better than me even when they weren't doing that so even when I started to get around it I still had a hard time. Which made it all the more annoying because it was just some guy being a **** to annoy strangers (i.e. it wasn't his only way of winning). Usually pretty satisfying to beat the spammers out there because most of them aren't actually any good if they can't spam arrows or Electroshock or whatever.

But anyway, pellets and CB don't knock him off the bike, and LS is slow (not sure if it would work anyway). Metal Blade works, but this guy was good enough to wheelie or jump off almost every time I did that. Even then, you get 3% here or there, but it doesn't really slow him down much. He would even slow the bike down and speed it up again to hit me when I land if I was trying to avoid other ways.

I feel like there should be an easy answer to this, because I certainly don't see Warios doing that in tourney matches on YouTube, so I assume there's a good punish...
I've never hit an instance where a Wario isn't knocked off the bike in a meaningful fashion from a retreating short hopped Metal Blade. I've been caught off guard while firing a Crash Bomb or doing something else, but Metal Blade seems to always be the answer to Wario's default bike. You know relatively where Wario's going to be when he dismounts the bike, so if he's starting to read you throwing the Metal Blade at the bike, adapt and throw the thing where you think he'll be when he jumps off.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
How do you all feel mega man fairs in doubles, team attack on?

I ask because I am thinking about picking up another character specifically for doubles. I have noticed I do well in the matches. I am able to stall/lock down one person well. I often have a stock that my partner can steal. I'm also decent at finding kills whether smashes, utilts, bairs, edgeguards, or gimps. However, my win/loss ratio isn't great, and when I look at my damage it is always lower than I expect. 250% in a 3 stock match is typical. I think its low because I spend a lot of time shooting lemons, getting blades for pickup, or activating leaf shield.

Any tips or strategies to improve damage, or is low damage to be expected? Or any other tips? If I'm keeping one person busy (and doing well against him), is that OK? Or do you more freely mix up who you attack? To me with team attack on its just hard to jump in and help partner, at least with mega man. Sometimes I will just pellet a couple times to give partner the advantage.

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Mega Man's a great stock tank in Doubles, and he pairs well with people with absorbers who can take advantage of his strong projectiles. Mega Man's always a "play for damage" character, you'll be needling them down, but finding it hard to score a kill. In doubles, you can rely on a heavy-hitting partner to finish them off if you'd rather skirt around the edges and rack up damage. Diddy is a good partner for Mega Man, as the blades and crash bomb into grab set ups that you can abuse easily lead to grabs from your Diddy. If you can just cover your parnter's weak spots with lemons, you'll do fine.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
for the zelda matchup, the best move she has against megaman is the reflector. it sucks the reflector has a hitbox too, so its not safe to grab, and it's got a bigger hitbox than fox's. wat you gotta do is expect zelda to use her reflector, then go in. try to incorporate standing a bit, or throwing pellets, and wait for her to reflect. at the end of the reflector, that's when you punish.

is there any specific setups zelda is using that you have a hard time against?
Usually ones that use their Up Specials to get me, which has a deceptive hitbox. That's usually where Zelda's get me trapped.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
Usually ones that use their Up Specials to get me, which has a deceptive hitbox. That's usually where Zelda's get me trapped.
oh hmmm. well, for the match up, you gotta pick up zelda's patterns for recovery a bit. usually, zelda uses vanishing from the ledge (at ground) of the stage, or up in the air a bit at the ledge, or coming from the top of the stage. you gotta check out the timing and play the match up a bit more,and you'll get better at predicting the vanishing. its very punishable when you expect it

Drippy

Smash Ace
Any advice for playing against rushdown characters? I feel like I get absolutely destroyed when I play as Mega Man and I'm 100% confident the problem is myself because I tend to panic a lot overall in a situation when the enemy is charging me down because I don't really know what to do. General advice would be appreciated on how to deal with fast characters like Captain Falcon / Pikachu / etc. because I feel I get comboed so easily (especially being Mega Man) and that they don't really give me enough time to use my projectiles, or like they just run up and power-shield and go balls deep on me.

Also if anyone would like to watch my Mega Man replays that would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to add you on Wii U and send you my replays so you could do analysis of my games and see what I could've done better and overall the things I shouldn't be doing with Mega Man or things I'm doing wrong. Like I noticed I don't go off-stage much (a personal issue with me) and also I don't gimp characters with bad recoveries like Captain Falcon or Ness very often.

EDIT: Also a general question because I'm still new to this game but what do I do when a character like Captain Falcon uses jab on the ledge to negate one of my get up options?

Last edited:
Top Bottom