• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I played against him before, so he had already some MU experience (I'm not that good, but everything helps)
I think Ice Slasher is better than everything else in this MU beuause *theory incoming* I think it won't clank with hus projectiles and will freeze him through his SideB Super Armor ( I saw that DK could be frozen in his UpB, so yeah...)
Plus, nobody likes being over Mega Man because of ranged Air Shooters. Or we could just use Rush to chase Pac-Man in the air. I really like grounded Rush now for some reason...
Still, Hyper Bomd shouldn't replace Metal Blade here because we won't like projectile damage trade :p
Hmm. I may need I test that. Even though, it is tricky to try and hit a Pacman with that while he's in super armor. You have to time it and space it superbly or you will get punished.

Pacman's airspeed is good enough to weave out of harms way when an air shooter comes up.

Does the slasher go through a key or hydrant?

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
I played against him before, so he had already some MU experience (I'm not that good, but everything helps)
I think Ice Slasher is better than everything else in this MU beuause *theory incoming* I think it won't clank with hus projectiles and will freeze him through his SideB Super Armor ( I saw that DK could be frozen in his UpB, so yeah...)
Plus, nobody likes being over Mega Man because of ranged Air Shooters. Or we could just use Rush to chase Pac-Man in the air. I really like grounded Rush now for some reason...
Still, Hyper Bomd shouldn't replace Metal Blade here because we won't like projectile damage trade :p
In my opinion we don't need Ice Slasher for his Side B (though this definitely needs some testing) because any move can stop him his Side B as long as you stop him before he eats his pellet.

Hmm. I may need I test that. Even though, it is tricky to try and hit a Pacman with that while he's in super armor. You have to time it and space it superbly or you will get punished.

Pacman's airspeed is good enough to weave out of harms way when an air shooter comes up.

Does the slasher go through a key or hydrant?
Yup I noticed Pac-Man has really good momentum in the air or at least what it seems like.

Drippy

Smash Ace
If I can get better at my side B shielding, then crash bomb spam won't be a problem. It would still pester my hydrant, but I would finally be able to heal off of it instead of take damage
I use it more as to force you to back up from the hydrant and to weaken the hydrant so I can knock it back but yeah when you were doing that it was really smart.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
wave bounce+ b reversing is pretty awesome to sneak in shorukens. you guys should try it. ive been trying it out in dubs, and ive been getting alot of shorukens. mainly because my opponents can't predict how i land from the momentum of the wave bounce, and they throw out an attack to hit where i would normally be, but thx to wave bouncing, i surprise shroruken them : D

Drippy

Smash Ace
wave bounce+ b reversing is pretty awesome to sneak in shorukens. you guys should try it. ive been trying it out in dubs, and ive been getting alot of shorukens. mainly because my opponents can't predict how i land from the momentum of the wave bounce, and they throw out an attack to hit where i would normally be, but thx to wave bouncing, i surprise shroruken them : D
Ooooh going to have to try this, especially if the wavebouncing with Lucas's Down B is still in this game after he comes out because I'd like to get accustomed to specials on c-stick.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
defintly. it took me a day to do it consitently, but it defintly plays alot of mind games on your opponent. ive been doing this on for glory. and my opponent always think my b specials are going to lag, so they go in, but the momentum from the b specials give me moevement options to punish them instead. i usually land a bair, or shield to grab.

something i noticed while doing this tech on my opps. when i down throw my opponent, they always expect me to fair or throw a hitbox at them, so they air dodge, and land laggy, i dont do anything and watch them land laggy, so i just grab them again. then down throw them, do nothing,and i get that easy percent.. it defiently plays mind games. the thing is my opp probably thinks im just waiting for them to air dodge,when i dont do anything, they get confused, and i get a free grab. i can get 40% free dmg just by doing this lol

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
How do you perform leafstooling? Who is the easiest to use it on? Just wanna incorporate it into my game and would like a good starting point. Also good situations to use Fullhop Metal Blade > Usmash/Shoryuken? Something else I intend to incorporate into my game.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I just remembered that USmash can hit people at the start of their Ledge Attack animation (Shoutouts to Cobbs & @Fenrir VII). Anybody has a list of who can be hit or not ?

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I love Leafstooling Donkey Kong and Captain Falcon. Captain Falcon seems to be the easiest to perform it on since our leaves hit him out of most his moves during a large amount of their frames.

The Z1gma Upper is easiest to perform on taller characters, I feel. But, that doesn't stop me from trying it on everyone! I usually try it when my opponent is between 70 and 90 percent since that seems to be the sweet zone to go for a KO for much of the cast.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
How do you perform leafstooling? Who is the easiest to use it on? Just wanna incorporate it into my game and would like a good starting point. Also good situations to use Fullhop Metal Blade > Usmash/Shoryuken? Something else I intend to incorporate into my game.
I just activate it and jump off stage to hit the enemy, with the leaf and usually the footstool part just kind of happens naturally. I've had the most success with this on Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and Little Mac to name a few. I'm not sure of all the character it's possible on though, some characters like Mario can go through it with their Up B if I recall correctly.

kCuzzzz

Smash Rookie
I've lurked on these boards for a while now and thought it was time to participate! This is the first version of Smash I've tried to play at a more competitive level (it helps when you live somewhere with a scene, like I do now) and after what I like to call a month-long vision question I chose Mega Man as my main. Loving how he plays, but I did have a couple questions and this looks like the best place for them.

1.) What is the best way to improve my pellet game?
In my matches I notice I'll use them at the beginning and then at some point just stop using them entirely. Sometimes I bring them back, but from what I've read here pellets are an essential part of MM's gameplay so I'd like to incorporate them more.

2.) After EVO, what will the process be for updating custom move sets?
I really dig using beat and am currently using 1333, as it is really the only worthwhile set that uses the little guy. However, it seems that for certain matchups (Villager and Pika come to mind) having skull barrier would be way more beneficial. I would love to see a 1332 in the mix.

Once I get a few videos (my goal is to make it on stream at the next monthly tournament), I plan on posting them in the video thread to get some advice that way. Thanks in advance for the assistance, looking forward to being more active on these boards.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I've lurked on these boards for a while now and thought it was time to participate! This is the first version of Smash I've tried to play at a more competitive level (it helps when you live somewhere with a scene, like I do now) and after what I like to call a month-long vision question I chose Mega Man as my main. Loving how he plays, but I did have a couple questions and this looks like the best place for them.

1.) What is the best way to improve my pellet game?
In my matches I notice I'll use them at the beginning and then at some point just stop using them entirely. Sometimes I bring them back, but from what I've read here pellets are an essential part of MM's gameplay so I'd like to incorporate them more.

2.) After EVO, what will the process be for updating custom move sets?
I really dig using beat and am currently using 1333, as it is really the only worthwhile set that uses the little guy. However, it seems that for certain matchups (Villager and Pika come to mind) having skull barrier would be way more beneficial. I would love to see a 1332 in the mix.

Once I get a few videos (my goal is to make it on stream at the next monthly tournament), I plan on posting them in the video thread to get some advice that way. Thanks in advance for the assistance, looking forward to being more active on these boards.
First of all. welcome and happy 1st post :p
Next :

1) As a semi-competitive player (6 week breaks destroys one's playstyle), I'd advise you to simply go in training mode and try to practice SH-Nair and F-tilt->Nair. Lemons are just too good, they rack up damage and stop opponents like crazy. One thing I like to do now is Pivot F-tilt, since you usually get rushed down so much. You can also go from Nair to Jab and SH just after, or just do a single Jab and SH. The only limit is our imagination :happysheep:

2) For that, I have no answer. We are surely going to change some customs (Consider 2212 pls T.T), but I don't know how we will organize things. Yo @ Locke 06 Locke 06 , do you have any ideas ?

I sure am excited to see how you play right now. I need to play so bad, but FINALS (jdcC&×:"+÷"£@6kzvv0zm6)
Don't worry about us, and just do your best. Just make sure to look at the two Stickied guides before your tournament tho :seuss:

kCuzzzz

Smash Rookie
First of all. welcome and happy 1st post :p
Next :

1) As a semi-competitive player (6 week breaks destroys one's playstyle), I'd advise you to simply go in training mode and try to practice SH-Nair and F-tilt->Nair. Lemons are just too good, they rack up damage and stop opponents like crazy. One thing I like to do now is Pivot F-tilt, since you usually get rushed down so much. You can also go from Nair to Jab and SH just after, or just do a single Jab and SH. The only limit is our imagination :happysheep:

2) For that, I have no answer. We are surely going to change some customs (Consider 2212 pls T.T), but I don't know how we will organize things. Yo @ Locke 06 Locke 06 , do you have any ideas ?

I sure am excited to see how you play right now. I need to play so bad, but FINALS (jdcC&×:"+÷"£@6kzvv0zm6)
Don't worry about us, and just do your best. Just make sure to look at the two Stickied guides before your tournament tho :seuss:
Awesome, thanks so much for the advice! I never even thought about F-tilt -> Nair, definitely going to get into the lab tonight once I'm off of work and try that out. I don't know if it's because I'm an old man (30, so old compared to the people who play at my local tournaments), but I struggle with the shorthops a lot, it's all about muscle memory though so I'm sure I'll get it down.

The two stickied guides, as well as the other info here, certainly helped me out last tournament. I will try to upload some of my videos from sparring with my buddy online (I know the lag isn't ideal, but they only stream the final couple of matches so it could be a couple months before I get to that point) as soon as possible.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Awesome, thanks so much for the advice! I never even thought about F-tilt -> Nair, definitely going to get into the lab tonight once I'm off of work and try that out. I don't know if it's because I'm an old man (30, so old compared to the people who play at my local tournaments), but I struggle with the shorthops a lot, it's all about muscle memory though so I'm sure I'll get it down.

The two stickied guides, as well as the other info here, certainly helped me out last tournament. I will try to upload some of my videos from sparring with my buddy online (I know the lag isn't ideal, but they only stream the final couple of matches so it could be a couple months before I get to that point) as soon as possible.
Hey man, I'll be 30 in September, don't let age get you down! I've placed a couple of times at my local scene with third place being my current best. I've also beaten pro player Vex in a two out of three once on his stream! Us "old guys" can still kick major butt!

kCuzzzz

Smash Rookie
Hey man, I'll be 30 in September, don't let age get you down! I've placed a couple of times at my local scene with third place being my current best. I've also beaten pro player Vex in a two out of three once on his stream! Us "old guys" can still kick major butt!
Yes! Old Guy Mega Man mains unite! I don't let it get me down, in fact I keep a pocket "Silverback" DK just for the laughs. I have a crazy stressful job (often named in the top 10 career-wise for most stressful careers) and what I love about Smash and getting into this community is I can leave all that behind and just get in the lab, play some friendlies or spend a day at a local tournie.
Us old guys can definitely still kick butt, that's very cool that you are rocking it in your scene, thanks for the motivation/inspiration to keep improving.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206

It's really up to us if we want the custom sets to change and/or be organized a different way. And by up to us, I mean up to the Mega Man community. If people want change, the discussion can happen whenever they want it to happen. I can facilitate if that would help, but I kind of put both customs and matchup discussion on the back burner while I focused on my own play and some other side projects of my own.

Someday soon, I'll pick it back up, but my life's been a bit all over the place lately. Apologies to anyone who's waiting on me to do stuff, but if someone wants to take the initiative and start a discussion, I say go for it.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
It's really up to us if we want the custom sets to change and/or be organized a different way. And by up to us, I mean up to the Mega Man community. If people want change, the discussion can happen whenever they want it to happen. I can facilitate if that would help, but I kind of put both customs and matchup discussion on the back burner while I focused on my own play and some other side projects of my own.

Someday soon, I'll pick it back up, but my life's been a bit all over the place lately. Apologies to anyone who's waiting on me to do stuff, but if someone wants to take the initiative and start a discussion, I say go for it.
Well, we aren't waiting for you to do anything in particular right now XD
No offense, but discussions on customs are pretty much dead right now, and nobody seems to want to promote that poor Hyper Bomb outside of me and ENKER :-/
Don't worry too much about us, personal achievement is important too. I wish I was be able to stop thinking about Smash for a while, through :sad:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
TBH, I know absolutely nothing about Hyper Bomb. I'm still getting to the point with metal blade that I feel I've explored it as much as I can and I feel like Hyper Bomb is so functionally different that I'd have to completely change my mindset of how I play Mega. Not that it's a bad thing, I'm just still trying to work on what I want to do with metal blade that it's not something I want to dive into quite yet. I wouldn't be surprised if others feel the same way. Not to mention, many scenes do not play with customs (Seattle is on the fence... The majority of players in my scene dislike customs for a variety of reasons, but we're playing them at big tournaments now because that's the EVO standard).

For instance, did you know forward thrown metal blade (neutral B with no directional input) is 2 frames quicker than a backwards metal blade (and possibly other directions)? I have to double check with actual testing, but I'm putting together a cohesive frame data/hitbox sheet with Indigo Jeans as one of my side projects. Learning new things.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I will hop on the Hyper Bomb hype train again after Smash Con, man! :D After that tourney I'll be ready to explore that beautiful move some more. :3

glenn

Smash Cadet
I don't know if it's because I'm an old man (30, so old compared to the people who play at my local tournaments), but I struggle with the shorthops a lot, it's all about muscle memory though so I'm sure I'll get it down.
Fellow, old, fogey Mega Mains! Yeah, I'm also 30. I know how you feel showing up to a local with age disparity being so big. It's weird as hell.

In any case, welcome. It's never too late to start playing, and the shorthops really just come with practice.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
what are some cool things mega man can crouch under of?
Uh here's a list off the top of my head:

- ROB Robo Beam(Unangled)
- Thoron
- Fox's lasers
- Ganon's Jab
- Falcon's U-air, dash grab
- Lil Mac's F-tilt

There's plenty of other moves that Mega Man can duck under, but most of them can be angled downwards unfortunately.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Uh here's a list off the top of my head:

- Lil Mac's F-tilt

There's plenty of other moves that Mega Man can duck under, but most of them can be angled downwards unfortunately.
First hit of ftilt. Second hit will hit mega (in my experience).

JuanM

Smash Rookie
NNID
JuanJMorales
Thank you, that helps a lot. I could have sworn that I crouched under Martha's shield breaker, but I got hit by it once.

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
https://youtu.be/mE4JzAmO4GM?t=5m17s

What is the timing to jump AFTER up B OFF stage like in this video? I've managed to do this only twice in training mode, there's obviously something specific for doing this OFF stage. If you up B from standing on stage, it's easy to jump after up B. When i'm off stage with second jump still intact, I mash jump after up B and nothing, I even tried pressing jump a little before the peek of up B, at the peek and after, still nothing.... What am I missing??

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Jumping after using Rush is supposed to be as simple as double jumping after Mega Man finishes the "high Rush jump" animation. I feel like I'd have to see you playing to be able to tell what the disconnect is.

Does anyone else have any ideas aside from asking him to record himself playing?

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
https://youtu.be/mE4JzAmO4GM?t=5m17s

What is the timing to jump AFTER up B OFF stage like in this video? I've managed to do this only twice in training mode, there's obviously something specific for doing this OFF stage. If you up B from standing on stage, it's easy to jump after up B. When i'm off stage with second jump still intact, I mash jump after up B and nothing, I even tried pressing jump a little before the peek of up B, at the peek and after, still nothing.... What am I missing??
Are you playing with tap jump on? Cause if you are, maybe you are using your second jump on acident when presing up B.

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
Are you playing with tap jump on? Cause if you are, maybe you are using your second jump on acident when presing up B.
That's possible, but why can I up B and jump from standing ON stage consistently and not off stage? So ENKER, if I mash jump I should be able to jump afterward, or is there a window everyone is hitting without knowing it?

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
That's possible, but why can I up B and jump from standing ON stage consistently and not off stage? So ENKER, if I mash jump I should be able to jump afterward, or is there a window everyone is hitting without knowing it?
It's really not that complicated. Megaman's UpB allows you to preserve ur 2nd jump. When u are off stage and CANT 2nd jump its either one of the following situations:

- When thrown off stage, you use your second jump before the UpB. Which implies; NO JUMP 4 U after UpB :p
- While u 2nd jump and get hit by the opponent off stage, you no longer have ur 2nd jump anymore.
The last one is actually pretty obvious and aplies to any character losing their 2nd jump.

You just have to figure out if you accidently used your 2nd jump off stage or already lost it. Sorichuudo mentioned the tap-jump function, because there is a higher chance the game registers a 2nd jump.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I agree, you should try it with a button and not tap jump on the control stick. Mash away and it should work if your second jump is indeed intact!

kCuzzzz

Smash Rookie
What's everyone's thoughts on dtilt? I find myself using it often as a mix-up in between approaching with pellets and metal blade. It's also saved my butt a few times, getting me underneath an approaching attack and far enough away to reset things. However in the tournament footage/general footage I've watched, I don't see it used often.
Is there a downside I'm missing on this move??

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
What's everyone's thoughts on dtilt? I find myself using it often as a mix-up in between approaching with pellets and metal blade. It's also saved my butt a few times, getting me underneath an approaching attack and far enough away to reset things. However in the tournament footage/general footage I've watched, I don't see it used often.
Is there a downside I'm missing on this move??
Well, it has the same problem as Top Spin : they are good movement options, but most of the time you want to keep shooting while retreating to cover your back becuse it is a smaller commitment. These moves have an amount of endlag that is too noticeable to be safe, so people never really use them. I do like them through, carrying your opponnent or popping them in the air is just too fun. :seuss:

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
Having trouble with megaman on battlefield and yusshies island (3ds). I feel too cramped and forced to be close to the opponent. On other stages i can dance around the opponent and ac dair them, i can jump and throw things at them, and i feel overall better on an fd stage.

What can i do to improve in cramped platform stages like battlefield with megaman?

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
Having trouble with megaman on battlefield and yusshies island (3ds). I feel too cramped and forced to be close to the opponent. On other stages i can dance around the opponent and ac dair them, i can jump and throw things at them, and i feel overall better on an fd stage.

What can i do to improve in cramped platform stages like battlefield with megaman?
I also feel BF is a hard stage for MM, but with some practice it doesn't have to be.
- Try to stay beneath platforms, so you won't get juggled.
- Try to learn to drop through the platform into an aerial, with bair. Could help in the situation, your oppenent approuaches from beneath.
- At last, try to get your short hopping game perfect. Cause with full jumps you will clearly land on the platforms.
Short hop bairs, fairs, uairs and nairs are all tools you can use.

D

Deleted member

defintly. it took me a day to do it consitently, but it defintly plays alot of mind games on your opponent. ive been doing this on for glory. and my opponent always think my b specials are going to lag, so they go in, but the momentum from the b specials give me moevement options to punish them instead. i usually land a bair, or shield to grab.

something i noticed while doing this tech on my opps. when i down throw my opponent, they always expect me to fair or throw a hitbox at them, so they air dodge, and land laggy, i dont do anything and watch them land laggy, so i just grab them again. then down throw them, do nothing,and i get that easy percent.. it defiently plays mind games. the thing is my opp probably thinks im just waiting for them to air dodge,when i dont do anything, they get confused, and i get a free grab. i can get 40% free dmg just by doing this lol
Yes. I do this often. Sometimes, I'll DThrow them, to FAir, to land and shield (if they attack), and grab again to RAR BAir.

Fun to do with Mega. Or, sometimes at mid percents, if you condition them to air dodge, you can get a nicely charged USmash (or DSmash), when they air-dodge.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
btw, is there a guide to how to space with megaman? I dont' really get much practice outside of wifi, and it sucks not being able to get those perfect frame setups with megaman.

I recently had a MU with yoshi. my set was pretty good, except there were a few mistakes I did. I know alot of them had to do with spacing and how i'm going in. I felt rushdown, but other times, I didn't. and It feels like I just needed better spacing and I wouldve won.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Are Dthrow > Nair > Fair and Falling Uair > Bair legit combos. Saw one in a combo video, and the other a friend performed against me.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
What is the best way to punish characters that like to rush in? A good example is falcon. They will run in and either dash attack, grab, or shield. I feel like I'm always playing a guessing game. Do people actually have good enough reflexes to react to what the rusher does? I know lemons will stuff approaches, but they can keep charging in after being hit. And it takes a lot of lemons to make up for getting grabbed/comboed.

Top Bottom