• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
Any advice for playing against rushdown characters? I feel like I get absolutely destroyed when I play as Mega Man and I'm 100% confident the problem is myself because I tend to panic a lot overall in a situation when the enemy is charging me down because I don't really know what to do. General advice would be appreciated on how to deal with fast characters like Captain Falcon / Pikachu / etc. because I feel I get comboed so easily (especially being Mega Man) and that they don't really give me enough time to use my projectiles, or like they just run up and power-shield and go balls deep on me.

Also if anyone would like to watch my Mega Man replays that would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to add you on Wii U and send you my replays so you could do analysis of my games and see what I could've done better and overall the things I shouldn't be doing with Mega Man or things I'm doing wrong. Like I noticed I don't go off-stage much (a personal issue with me) and also I don't gimp characters with bad recoveries like Captain Falcon or Ness very often.

EDIT: Also a general question because I'm still new to this game but what do I do when a character like Captain Falcon uses jab on the ledge to negate one of my get up options?
against rushdown charachters,you want to generally put up leaf shield. your opp will always try to be up your face. also, dont shield in bad situations. cuz rushdowns will try to bait you into getting you out of shield with fake attacks, and most of them have very little end lag to their moves, so they can immediately spam a smash att on you. a mind game your opp will try to make you do is make you think you have an opening to att them. it conditions you. depending on the match up, you should predict how your opp wants to condition you, and make a counter movement, and see if that gives you a punish

Drippy

Smash Ace
against rushdown charachters,you want to generally put up leaf shield. your opp will always try to be up your face. also, dont shield in bad situations. cuz rushdowns will try to bait you into getting you out of shield with fake attacks, and most of them have very little end lag to their moves, so they can immediately spam a smash att on you. a mind game your opp will try to make you do is make you think you have an opening to att them. it conditions you. depending on the match up, you should predict how your opp wants to condition you, and make a counter movement, and see if that gives you a punish
Thank you for the advice! I've notice I don't really use Leaf Shield much so I'll get into the habit of it, and I expect that to be my main tool into getting them off of me. Also I'll be reading the matchups thread soon because tomorrow I have a tourney and I know there are Sheik / Falcon players.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
As kind of...well, hard to answer as this question is - how do I get better with Mega Man?

More-so, what's the playstyle I should take on with him? I feel like I'm overly aggressive, not using lemons all that often, charging in with Fairs. I do know how to use Metal Blade / etc., but is there something else I should be doing? Should I play more defensive with Mega Man?

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
As kind of...well, hard to answer as this question is - how do I get better with Mega Man?

More-so, what's the playstyle I should take on with him? I feel like I'm overly aggressive, not using lemons all that often, charging in with Fairs. I do know how to use Metal Blade / etc., but is there something else I should be doing? Should I play more defensive with Mega Man?
well, try to experiment with different type of approaches. this'll keep your opponent always guessing.
if you have jump set to "Y"
and attack set to "A"
try to short hop lemons, but only move forward like you're walking. its great for walling, cuz in that walking range, more pellets come out than running and short hopping lemons.

also, when you got your opp, in the air, and you feel like you can't get a guaranteed combo, just walk to where you think your opponent is DI'ing. when you walk you have more options than running. runnnig gets you an end lag

Drippy

Smash Ace
well, try to experiment with different type of approaches. this'll keep your opponent always guessing.
if you have jump set to "Y"
and attack set to "A"
try to short hop lemons, but only move forward like you're walking. its great for walling, cuz in that walking range, more pellets come out than running and short hopping lemons.

also, when you got your opp, in the air, and you feel like you can't get a guaranteed combo, just walk to where you think your opponent is DI'ing. when you walk you have more options than running. runnnig gets you an end lag
Is it best to mainly just use nairs in terms of pellets? I find it hard to approach with f-tilts because there's not much knockback at all and usually the enemy just runs up to me and grabs me because it has so much end-lag or maybe I'm just using it wrong?

Last edited:

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
Is it best to mainly just use nairs in terms of pellets? I find it hard to approach with f-tilts because there's not much knockback at all and usually the enemy just runs up to me and grabs me because it has so much end-lag or maybe I'm just using it wrong?
im not sure wat you mean by f tilts. f tilt and neutral air are pretty much the same thing. if you mean fair, like flame sword, try to angle the sword so the tip of it hits, then weave back, or feint a flame sword approach and weave back. it depends how your opp is positioned. sometimes, flame sword hits at the lowerd end of the sword. it can surprise your opp with an unorthdox hitbox. if you get great movement options with megaman, you'll get alot of good things going for you

Drippy

Smash Ace
im not sure wat you mean by f tilts. f tilt and neutral air are pretty much the same thing. if you mean fair, like flame sword, try to angle the sword so the tip of it hits, then weave back, or feint a flame sword approach and weave back. it depends how your opp is positioned. sometimes, flame sword hits at the lowerd end of the sword. it can surprise your opp with an unorthdox hitbox. if you get great movement options with megaman, you'll get alot of good things going for you
No I meant f-tilt because I noticed while using f-tilt that the enemy doesn't get knocked back at all thus I usually get punished pretty hard for it. Though the f-air bit was still helpful to me so thanks, I've been trying to use it more as an approach option along with b-air.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
No I meant f-tilt because I noticed while using f-tilt that the enemy doesn't get knocked back at all thus I usually get punished pretty hard for it. Though the f-air bit was still helpful to me so thanks, I've been trying to use it more as an approach option along with b-air.
See "Lemon Sliding" in the techniques and tips thread. I personally approach with Metal Blade, and mix up fairs and nairs. MegaMan really benefits from what looks like it'll be an empty jump, just to turn it into retreating nairs.

Drippy

Smash Ace
See "Lemon Sliding" in the techniques and tips thread. I personally approach with Metal Blade, and mix up fairs and nairs. MegaMan really benefits from what looks like it'll be an empty jump, just to turn it into retreating nairs.
Ahh alright I'll check it out again, must've missed it or just forgot it. Thanks a lot, and lately I've been mixing in a lot of fairs / nairs / bairs to my play-style in terms of approaching and I need to get better at retreating nairs because I often turn around by accident which I believe I can only shoot two pellets while retreating and have to put my analog back into the neutral right away?

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
The general consensus I see is to buffer an ftilt upon landing to avoid the turnaround. You could also just live with the turnaround and go with backwards Metal Blade, bair, or just walk away and regain some spacing.

Drippy

Smash Ace
The general consensus I see is to buffer an ftilt upon landing to avoid the turnaround. You could also just live with the turnaround and go with backwards Metal Blade, bair, or just walk away and regain some spacing.
Hmm I haven't ever thought of doing any that, I'll try it tomorrow when I get on to play some Sm4sh. Thanks a lot man :^)

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Something that's been slipping my mind to post here - how does everyone deal with tether recoveries? I know it isn't a huge portion of the roster or anything, but to me, it seems like a really safe way to cut out options for MegaMan, but maybe there's something I'm overlooking, or I'm just not adjusting to the extra timing that goes into countering it? Aside from a really well positioned Metal Blade/amazing read, is there an effective way to punish the actual tether itself?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Something that's been slipping my mind to post here - how does everyone deal with tether recoveries? I know it isn't a huge portion of the roster or anything, but to me, it seems like a really safe way to cut out options for MegaMan, but maybe there's something I'm overlooking, or I'm just not adjusting to the extra timing that goes into countering it? Aside from a really well positioned Metal Blade/amazing read, is there an effective way to punish the actual tether itself?
The tethering character is vulnerable until he actually grabs the stage, and they have to wait a few frames to snap to ledge (otherwise they'll cancel the tether) so you have a few options.

Tornado Hold is the most foolproof way to foil a tether grab. Just wait for the tether to come out, run off stage, and drop a whirlwind on their heads.

Running offstage into the drop zone works too. From there you can nair, fair, or bair depending on where they are in the tether swing. If they don't buffer a ledge recovery option, you can UpB after they snap to ledge to go for the ledge trump.

Z-dropped metal blade and Leafstool are viable options too.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
any idea on movement options for megaman against a sonic player?
i keep having problems with sonic dashing, hitting, then run, then when i think i got a punish, they run, homing attack, etc. when i have a punish, my attacks come out slow e_E

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
any idea on movement options for megaman against a sonic player?
i keep having problems with sonic dashing, hitting, then run, then when i think i got a punish, they run, homing attack, etc. when i have a punish, my attacks come out slow e_E
lemon when he is near it's gonna stop all is action than you can go for a grab if you are near or SHFF fair

Throw a lot of MB and crash bomb to it's free dmg

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Anyone find a good way to practice mega man, when adequate opponents aren't available? I've tried for glory, but that is very hit or miss with connections and caliber of players. I find I start getting bad habits playing too much for glory.

Lately I've been playing on training against level 9 opponent at 1.5 speed. I've found doing this for awhile makes normal speed seem easier, and it just speeds up my inputs with blades, zdrops, short hops, lemons etc. What about amiibos, or one in particular makes a good sparring partner?

Last edited:

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Play in online tournaments. I'm not really sure how Nintendo handles for glory, whether there's a dedicated server or if it's peer2peer, but it is objectively ballsack 98% of the time, which is something I almost never get against someone on my friends list. You'll either blast through the other players because you're better and gain nothing from it, or you'll meet someone around your skill level who gives you the workout you need.

If you lose, try not to immediately blame lag. It's easy to write off an online loss as lag, but save a replay and look at the gameplay a day or so later. If you notice really obvious things like whiffs you'd never make in person (facing the wrong way, completely botched inputs) then you can safely say lag killed the game for you, but in general, a little input delay is something you can adapt to pretty quickly.

MegaMan's an interesting character to discuss lag about. For me, it either ruins the experience or sometimes makes kills a little easier. I get plenty of opportunities to play against people in person, so I know the difference between lag accidents and legitimate failures/successes. Putting out the kill with MegaMan is the hard part in either scenario since it's so heavily influenced by good reads, so when you're online if the connection is a little sketchy, focus more on how you put damage onto your opponent, and not as much on how you [failed to] close out their stocks. MegaMan is, at his most basic, a character about never letting anything surprise you and thinking on your feet constantly. Translate what you know works to put damage on into your matches in person, use your knowledge of how the match is going right at that moment to set up your kills.

The big upside to having to add people to your friends list for an online tourney: you'll create a quick network of people who are around your skill level to play friendlies against, and you know how their connection will be most of the time.

As for amiibos... Eh. Even well trained, they go between being idiots and being challenging, but not for the reasons a human player is challenging. When you play against another person, a game becomes a cycle of playing your opponent and adapting to them playing you. Against an amiibo, you'll hit a point where you learn to play them... and they'll never adapt adequately. It's the same issue as playing against a CPU player. If you have a little collection of amiibos going, give it a try sometime. I don't recommend buying one just to train against if you weren't already into the idea of collecting some figures, though.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
I've been playing against a few top level players or just really good players and I find that they usually don't have a whole lot to say in terms of improving my Mega Man but like working on my punish games or getting better at reads and I think primarily my fundamentals which I agree. It's not to say my Mega Man is perfect at all or even great but I think I know a lot of the Mega Man stuff and that my main problem is execution (being able to do diagonal metal blade into up tilt), decision making, or going for reads and also I still tend to do misinputs, my timing is off when power-shielding / spot dodging / teching, and etc. so basically tons of stuff that cause me to lose more because I'm a bad player but not necessarily a bad Mega Man (I think).

So I've been looking for a secondary to choose for Mega Man to cover his weaker match-ups (specifically fast characters like Sheik / Falcon / Pikachu) and my candidates have been: Shulk, Greninja, Duck Hunt Dog, and Fox. I love all these characters equally and it's really hard for me to choose from either one of them. Although I've been thinking of scrapping Duck Hunt Dog because I don't really think he solves Mega Man's issues. Thanks in advance to anyone who doesn't mind helping me with this. :^)

Last edited:

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help with this one.

Lately I figured out I tend to airdodge way too close to the ground, after Ive been hit into the air or just close to the ground. Which results in me having horibble landing lag ---> Big punish from opponent >.<

How should I approach this:
- Just always go for the 2nd jump and then airdodge?
- Or FastFall to the ground & Shield?
- Or try tech it?

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
I've been playing against a few top level players or just really good players and I find that they usually don't have a whole lot to say in terms of improving my Mega Man but like working on my punish games or getting better at reads and I think primarily my fundamentals which I agree. It's not to say my Mega Man is perfect at all or even great but I think I know a lot of the Mega Man stuff and that my main problem is execution (being able to do diagonal metal blade into up tilt), decision making, or going for reads and also I still tend to do misinputs, my timing is off when power-shielding / spot dodging / teching, and etc. so basically tons of stuff that cause me to lose more because I'm a bad player but not necessarily a bad Mega Man (I think).

So I've been looking for a secondary to choose for Mega Man to cover his weaker match-ups (specifically fast characters like Sheik / Falcon / Pikachu) and my candidates have been: Shulk, Greninja, Duck Hunt Dog, and Fox. I love all these characters equally and it's really hard for me to choose from either one of them. Although I've been thinking of scrapping Duck Hunt Dog because I don't really think he solves Mega Man's issues. Thanks in advance to anyone who doesn't mind helping me with this. :^)

Out of the characters that you listed, I think that Greninja is a pretty good pick to cover those three match-ups. He has enough movement options to keep up with everyone of those characters, and he also isn't too susceptible to being gimped easily ( which all of those characters excel at).

Drippy

Smash Ace
Out of the characters that you listed, I think that Greninja is a pretty good pick to cover those three match-ups. He has enough movement options to keep up with everyone of those characters, and he also isn't too susceptible to being gimped easily ( which all of those characters excel at).
Thanks for the reply! Also that is true, Greninja definitely has the greatest recoveries of the three and I REALLY enjoy watching some of the things Japanese players have been doing with him. I'll continue thinking about it, I'm dropping Shulk since I don't think he covers my weaknesses as well as Fox / Greninja.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
i have a bad habit of going in, then getting punished with an opponents rapid jab. or a smash attack. this usually happens when i think i have enough frames to go in. turns out i dont, and my opponent immediately shields, rapid jabs, or smash attacks. i throw out metal blade, but sometimes there's not enough hit stun time, or the metal blade doesn't hit enough times to guarantee me going in.

this happens against fast charahters like greninja, shiek, falcon

i guess, im wondering how do you guys get guarantee stuff to go in?

Last edited:

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
In for flory while waiting in lobby area for I did a DOWN SMASH hit the opponent and immediatly did a forward smash. I dont think the cpu character hit me to cancel me out of my down smash somehow (didnt look like it) to do a forward smash so fast. Im guessing that must have been what had happened though but has this happened to anyone before? Probably no big deal

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
ZeRo posted this in his Twitter: https://t.co/vDDyp2fi6d It's frame data for all characters including our Blue Bomber. However, I am not sure if it's accurate because it says there are Super Armor frames on Mega's Dtilt?! And the data even doesn't mention his Invincibility Frames on his Utilt...Unless I am mistaken and wrong on both accounts. I know we have frame data someone in the Mega threads, can someone help me find it?

Edit: Nevermind, found the data thread. Question asked there. :)

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Good uses for Rush besides Recovering? Find myself attached to Tornado Hold for most of my games for its multi-purposes (Out o Shield Option, Combo Tool, Edgeguard tool), but I wanna go back and give Rush another chance. I've used him to safely set up a Plant Barrier from the ground and to catch people recovering high, but is there other cool stuff you can do with him?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Good uses for Rush besides Recovering? Find myself attached to Tornado Hold for most of my games for its multi-purposes (Out o Shield Option, Combo Tool, Edgeguard tool), but I wanna go back and give Rush another chance. I've used him to safely set up a Plant Barrier from the ground and to catch people recovering high, but is there other cool stuff you can do with him?
He can still be good for escaping combos / resetting even with Rush Cancel gone. I like using a Rush when I just need the unpredictability of being able to shoot upwards at a moment's notice.

Sometimes I'll set him up on stage, then fire one lemon and fast fall behind him. Often tricks people into committing to a risky move that I can then punish.

You can also set him up near the ledge and force people to bounce off him as they recover into the stage, which can set up for uair/danger wrap kills. But it sounds like you already do that.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Does the size of the Metal Blade hitbox vary along its trajectory?

It seems like sometimes certain characters can crouch under it and sometimes they can't.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
If you want to timer scum the opponent, you can stay in the air indefinitely with Rush. If you bounce on him while he's grounded, you get back your double-jump and your Up-B to do it again. Launch up from the ground, fall towards your opponent like you're gonna dair or fair him, but jump out after they start to do something, then land on Rush for another bounce, do the jump fake out, then when they try to catch you the second time, rush again, throw on a leaf shield and fast fall into rush to get em both back and repeat until time runs out. Pepper in some angled and Z-dropped Metal Blades (you can catch a metal blade mid-air if you angle it downward while falling) and some lemons when they try to challenge you and you can go a long time without getting hit.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
One thing I've started playing around with is using Rush for space control and limiting approach options. You can set him up fairly safely by using the "Lemon Drop" technique to get back to ground quickly. Rush then serves as a poor man's version of Pac-Man'a trampoline.

If you set up Rush and stand behind him, he can serve as an interesting deterrent for spaced aerial approaches. Most aerials will get "autocancelled" by Rush before the hitbox can hit us (since we are short), and we can punish this with well timed Danger Wraps. We can also chase opponents who get bounced with uairs and other aerials.

Rush also has a slight pushbox or windbox or whatever you want to call it (similar in effect to Mega Man with Skull Barrier on), so he can mess up people's spacing for ground approaches too.

We can use Rush to do things that would otherwise be unsafe for us, like fast-falled fairs and short hop dairs, which is pretty cool.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
One thing I've started playing around with is using Rush for space control and limiting approach options. You can set him up fairly safely by using the "Lemon Drop" technique to get back to ground quickly. Rush then serves as a poor man's version of Pac-Man'a trampoline.

If you set up Rush and stand behind him, he can serve as an interesting deterrent for spaced aerial approaches. Most aerials will get "autocancelled" by Rush before the hitbox can hit us (since we are short), and we can punish this with well timed Danger Wraps. We can also chase opponents who get bounced with uairs and other aerials.

Rush also has a slight pushbox or windbox or whatever you want to call it (similar in effect to Mega Man with Skull Barrier on), so he can mess up people's spacing for ground approaches too.

We can use Rush to do things that would otherwise be unsafe for us, like fast-falled fairs and short hop dairs, which is pretty cool.
I'm definitely going to be playing around with this some more. I did it once on the fly at a tourney and the opponent froze for a second and wasn't sure how to approach the mighty and stalwart Rush. This alone proved to me that I should practice this in the lab.

Windbox thing?! When is it active? It is only upon summoning Rush or throughout? That's nifty... :)

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I'm definitely going to be playing around with this some more. I did it once on the fly at a tourney and the opponent froze for a second and wasn't sure how to approach the mighty and stalwart Rush. This alone proved to me that I should practice this in the lab.

Windbox thing?! When is it active? It is only upon summoning Rush or throughout? That's nifty... :)
I don't know if windbox is the appropriate term. Basically, the game will allow you to walk/run through Rush, but you can't come to a stop on top of him. If you try he'll push you off to one side. Try walking forward so you're right on top of him, then release the control stick to see how this works.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
What is this "Lemon Drop"? Seems useful.

EDIT: Found it in the tech thread. Fire a lemon after bouncing on Rush then fast fall right away, right?

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
What is this "Lemon Drop"? Seems useful.

EDIT: Found it in the tech thread. Fire a lemon after bouncing on Rush then fast fall right away, right?
Yep. You can attack faster than you can fastfall out of UpB. This means that firing a lemon allows you to fast fall earlier, AND allows you to land without UpB's RICO lag. Pretty neat.

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
Hey guys, I just started to pick up Megaman but im still having trouble learning his moves and knowing exactly when to use them. Is there a video that explains in details of how to play him and any interesting techs I need to know?

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Hey guys, I just started to pick up Megaman but im still having trouble learning his moves and knowing exactly when to use them. Is there a video that explains in details of how to play him and any interesting techs I need to know?
For starters, the guide of Techniques and Tricks http://smashboards.com/threads/list-of-mega-mans-techniques-and-tricks.394846/
a LOT of stuff and you don't really have to learn everything at once, but i recommend reading some of the "Jab, Ftilt, Nair" "Neutral B" sections if you are just starting with MM.

I don't think we have an overall "definitive" video on how to play MM, but if you want, take some time and watch some of the matches on this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/dr-light-capsule-video-and-critique-thread.368755/

Lots of good players and different playstyles, it can give you something to work around ^^

Drippy

Smash Ace
Does anyone have experience in the Pac-Man match-up (not sure if this was suppose to be asked in the sticky thread for match-ups since they're discussing Donkey Kong).

I've been playing against this really good Pac-Man in Smashboards and although I'm playing kind of poorly (should be power shielding more and probably other stuff), I feel this match-up is literally impossible to win. Pac-Man's fruits, even the Cherry completely negate my f-smash and just absorb it and the fruits are completely unaffected by it and continue moving as normal, and my f-smash (unless charged) doesn't even knock out the hydrant and so Pac-Man can stay on top or behind it with absolute safety and up-smash doesn't hit (don't think it matters anyways) and down-smash / up tilt are to laggy. Metal Blades will sometimes stop the fruit but some fruits completely eat it and negate it (not sure which ones, I think the melon for sure does). Pellets same thing will stop the fruit but it can still hit I think and hydrant complete negates it. Hard to KO him too since his recovery is freaking godlike, I find Villager's recovery even easier to deal with cause I can often go for a back-air while Pac-Man's side B is really scary to challenge and Up B recovers from extremely far away too.

As far as I know, Pac-Man has a hard time killing me but by 150% key or hydrant will easily kill me and the moment he gets me off stage he can very easily gimp me or kill me off-stage. In addition Pac-Man can easily rack up damage with the constant fruits / hydrants (maybe I just need to power shield better but it's so hard shielding every. single. one.) and he also has really good combos / strings that can rack up damage. Any assistance / insight on this match-up fellow Mega mans?

EDIT: Found the only way to win this match-up is tons of Metal Blades because he can't safely hide behind hydrant and he can't walk up to hit hydrant because he'll always get by the Metal Blade then thus giving me the advantage there.

EDIT 2: Crash Bombers are also good against the hydrant since he can't get close. I need to work on catching fruit and just camping him out since fruits is his biggest tool. On the other hand still loosing this match-up, literally being timed out in friendlies since this match-up is extremely campy.

EDIT 3: Okay so I beat him a few times (but he still has like 10x wins over my wins) and I found that the only way to win this match-up is literally timing him out and running away. The moment you get the lead you have to play fruity af and just throw metal blades / crash bombers and run away. When you get the fruit that's your best chance at timing him out since the only tool he has is hydrant and he's forced to approach you. This match-up to simply put it is hit and run. Shield everything, Metal Blade / Crash Bomber every chance you get, and run away. I still need to work on the match-up because I just spam sometimes and I get punished since MB / CB have lag but when you keep your distance, Pac-Man has just as a hard time as you do with him.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I think, NeutralB's are more important in this MU than Lemons. Not because Lemons cannot stop Pac-Man in his tracks (they actually stop him pretty well if you space yourself), but because the Melon will go through them. seriously, Skull Barrier is a savior in this MU. Since Fruits basically shut down any possible Charge Shot, having a rheflector and a windbox is really useful. I wonder if we can crouch under the key...

Drippy

Smash Ace
Yup I've discovered myself
I think, NeutralB's are more important in this MU than Lemons. Not because Lemons cannot stop Pac-Man in his tracks (they actually stop him pretty well if you space yourself), but because the Melon will go through them. seriously, Skull Barrier is a savior in this MU. Since Fruits basically shut down any possible Charge Shot, having a rheflector and a windbox is really useful. I wonder if we can crouch under the key...
Yup I've discovered that pellets are almost useless in this match-up and @Pacman9 (This is the Pac-Man that made me salty) said it himself as I was playing him. The only thing I could do in this match-up is Metal Blade / Crash Bomber, shield his projectiles, and run away. Whoever gets the lead in this match-up will win because all you have to do is run away and time out the enemy and you have to completely throw out the notion of playing aggressive. Perhaps I still need work on the match-up though but I feel it's impossible to approach Pac-Man as Mega Man and that the hit-and-run strategy is the only way to win this. On the other hand we weren't playing with customs so I didn't get the chance to try out Skull Barrier and also I'd imagine Danger Warp and Skull Barrier to be really good in this match-up because Pac-Man loves to approach from the air and also Leaf Shield seems useless in this match-up. Though from what I've been told, Pac-Man has a really efficient way of killing Mega Man with a red trampoline on the ledge which is apparently even easier to do with the custom meteor Up B so it'd certainly be interesting to see how things turn out.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Yup I've discovered that pellets are almost useless in this match-up and @Pacman9 (This is the Pac-Man that made me salty) said it himself as I was playing him. The only thing I could do in this match-up is Metal Blade / Crash Bomber, shield his projectiles, and run away. Whoever gets the lead in this match-up will win because all you have to do is run away and time out the enemy and you have to completely throw out the notion of playing aggressive. Perhaps I still need work on the match-up though but I feel it's impossible to approach Pac-Man as Mega Man and that the hit-and-run strategy is the only way to win this. On the other hand we weren't playing with customs so I didn't get the chance to try out Skull Barrier and also I'd imagine Danger Warp and Skull Barrier to be really good in this match-up because Pac-Man loves to approach from the air and also Leaf Shield seems useless in this match-up. Though from what I've been told, Pac-Man has a really efficient way of killing Mega Man with a red trampoline on the ledge which is apparently even easier to do with the custom meteor Up B so it'd certainly be interesting to see how things turn out.
I played against him before, so he had already some MU experience (I'm not that good, but everything helps)
I think Ice Slasher is better than everything else in this MU beuause *theory incoming* I think it won't clank with hus projectiles and will freeze him through his SideB Super Armor ( I saw that DK could be frozen in his UpB, so yeah...)
Plus, nobody likes being over Mega Man because of ranged Air Shooters. Or we could just use Rush to chase Pac-Man in the air. I really like grounded Rush now for some reason...
Still, Hyper Bomd shouldn't replace Metal Blade here because we won't like projectile damage trade :p

Top Bottom