• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
hey all megaman main i wanted to know what is the most effective control maping for megaman ? What do you choose for the C-stick ? attack or smash ?

thanks a lot !
Up to you. There are advantages to both, and to setting it to special attacks as well. I personally set it to smash as I find that makes stuff like OoS usmash and shutter stepped fsmash easier.

I also use the pro controller, setting one shoulder button to Attack and one shoulder button to jump. I find that this makes it easier to do stuff like short hopped lemons and jump cancelled item throws.

Basically there are a lot of techs in this game and Mega Man makes good use of many of them, so it's worthwhile to set up your controls to make it easier to do the things you want to do.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Up to you. There are advantages to both, and to setting it to special attacks as well. I personally set it to smash as I find that makes stuff like OoS usmash and shutter stepped fsmash easier.

I also use the pro controller, setting one shoulder button to Attack and one shoulder button to jump. I find that this makes it easier to do stuff like short hopped lemons and jump cancelled item throws.

Basically there are a lot of techs in this game and Mega Man makes good use of many of them, so it's worthwhile to set up your controls to make it easier to do the things you want to do.
I was thinking about getting a pro controller for mega man. Do you find performing short hops with shoulder button to be easy? Also, I've seen some people say they get input lag with it. Have you found that at all?

And on subject of hopping lemons. Are there any particular hopping lemon sequences you guys use often, and what are the inputs (as specific as possible please).

For example, I like the zucco style forward and backwards single pellet short hop. You get good horizontal movement, and can take any action with each landing. Input is while on ground jab/ftilt immediately jump (I slide finger), then direction, and repeat on each landing.

Another one is a mix-up. Either one or two jabs/ftilts, then rising full hop Nair. Wait a moment, and then metal blade or crash bomb at short hop height.

What are some other mix ups?

And what's best way to short hop back and forth with good horizontal movement while shooting at least 2 pellets per jump (and shooting pellets asap)? The zucco style doesn't work, you can jump right away on landing but you can't pellet immediately.

Last edited:

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking about getting a pro controller for mega man. Do you find performing short hops with shoulder button to be easy? Also, I've seen some people say they get input lag with it. Have you found that at all?

And on subject of hopping lemons. Are there any particular hopping lemon sequences you guys use often, and what are the inputs (as specific as possible please).

For example, I like the zucco style forward and backwards single pellet short hop. You get good horizontal movement, and can take any action with each landing. Input is while on ground jab/ftilt immediately jump (I slide finger), then direction, and repeat on each landing.

Another one is a mix-up. Either one or two jabs/ftilts, then rising full hop Nair. Wait a moment, and then metal blade or crash bomb at short hop height.

And what's best way to short hop back and forth with good horizontal movement while shooting at least 2 pellets per jump (and shooting pellets asap)? The zucco style doesn't work, you can jump right away on landing but you can't pellet immediately.
Hey you may want to try this one, i find it the best mix between gamecube controller and wii u pro controller (and half the price), it's the one i have and it work wonderfully

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=ad1e837ac989de3226afead752599fe9en02

Last edited:

Gombi

Smash Apprentice

is there any where i can find the pro and con for each for megaman ? Sorry to ask here. Wich shoulder button you use for the attack the left of the right ? I use the L for shield and R and Z button for jump but i barely use the Z one.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055

I don't use the shoulder button to short hop, as that's rather difficult to do consistently (for me, anyway). Rather, I short hop with a face button and attack with a shoulder button. I find that easier than alternating between two face buttons. But at the end of the day thats just my personal preference.

Pellets are pellets. Just experiment with different timings and mixups and figure out what works best for you.
is there any where i can find the pro and con for each for megaman ? Sorry to ask here. Wich shoulder button you use for the attack the left of the right ? I use the L for shield and R and Z button for jump but i barely use the Z one.
To the first question: I think we had a thread on these boards discussing this, but really, it's almost pure preference.

"A-sticking" makes tilts easier to do consistently, and you don't have to worry about your aerials getting "stuck" midair because you held the stick down to long. It also allows you to do a few unique things like a non-fast falled dair and Perfect Pivot utilt.

"B-sticking" makes it easier to wave bounce specials.

C-sticking, as I already mentioned, makes it easier to do smashes and techs involving smashes.

Really, that's about it.

I personally map ZR to grab, ZL to shield, L to attack and R to jump, tap jump off, everything else default. I'm not going to claim it's the end-all-be-all but it's what works for me.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
I am still trying to decide my main and secondary my top choice are Luigi, pikachu, megaman, bowser (I had sonic, pit and wario too but i don't seems to have as much fun than using my top 4 but still enjoyable)

I was thinking of going for megaman and pikachu but after reading a lot on both forum each of those character need a lot of commitment for both of them. So it would be better to get 1 main and an easy to learn secondary to learn.

So who would be an easy to learn secondary that cover the Bad MU of megaman ? (Do i have one in those i have mention earlier)

What would be a great main/sec combo ?

Thanks

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I am still trying to decide my main and secondary my top choice are Luigi, pikachu, megaman, bowser (I had sonic, pit and wario too but i don't seems to have as much fun than using my top 4 but still enjoyable)

I was thinking of going for megaman and pikachu but after reading a lot on both forum each of those character need a lot of commitment for both of them. So it would be better to get 1 main and an easy to learn secondary to learn.

So who would be an easy to learn secondary that cover the Bad MU of megaman ? (Do i have one in those i have mention earlier)

What would be a great main/sec combo ?

Thanks
We haven't really figured out Mega Man's bad MUs yet. At the moment he seems to have a pretty favorable MU spread, with no characters at which he is at a massive disadvantage. The flip side is also true--there don't seem to be a lot of characters over which he has a clear advantage. In other words, we think most of his MUs are between 60:40 and 45:55, at least right now. That's almost certainly going to change as the meta develops and people explore customs.

The consensus is that his toughest MUs are against rushdown characters who can make a lot of hay off of combos and reads, namely Sheik and Falcon. But there are people who would argue that even those MUs aren't too bad for him.

If you're going to main MM I'd say just figure out who you have the most trouble against and secondary a character who counterpicks those. I personally think a fast "fundamentals" character like Pikachu or a Sheik makes a good secondary for MM.

Last edited:

Rocket52

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rocket52
3DS FC
2664-2303-0107
uhh. So i saw this in one of kismet's videos but
How does one fire lemons while holding a blade while in the air?
i know how to do it on the ground D:

thanks guise

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
uhh. So i saw this in one of kismet's videos but
How does one fire lemons while holding a blade while in the air?
i know how to do it on the ground D:

thanks guise
You either begin a lemon combo on the ground and transition to air, or you z-drop the blade and immediately nair to recatch. You have to have very slight backwards momentum when you do the z-drop-and-recatch trick because MM drops items behind himself.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Very nice performance of the MM.

I'm not in the habit of short hopping when throwing blade into ground for pickup. Can anyone elaborate on why kismit was doing it?
Short hopping allows you to avoid many dash/boost grabs and dash attacks, so in that sense it's a bit safer than standing when throwing your blade down in the ground.

You can also b-reverse or wavebounce as a mixup.

Also, when you short hop -> MB off certain platforms, it's functionally the same as full hopping -> MB from the ground, i.e. you'll land in neutral.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
2 questions :

1. What do you usefor c-stick what is optimal with megaman attack or smash ?
2. Any known megaman main on twitch ?

thanks

Drippy

Smash Ace
2 questions :

thanks
1. It depends on your preference. I personally use smash attacks because it allows me to do stuff like OoS Usmash or a slide smash attack (I think often known as a Kara Smash). At first I wanted to use it for tilts but as you play the game you get pretty used to using tilts naturally but that's my opinion. Also in terms of aerials, apparently c-stick to tilt makes aerials easier to use or something but I'm not so sure about that.

2. The only really good Megaman streamer I personally know is NinjaLink. In the end most of my Megaman knowledge comes from analyzing tournament matches of Zucco / NinjaLink and I'm still often re-watching Kismet to mimic his play-style.

Last edited:

Sombreblanco

Smash Rookie
2 questions :

thanks
1. I use c-stick for tilts though that may change now that i have been playing the game more. I just like being able to down tilt at the flick of a stick.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Just a little question but why does NinjaLink (I don't watch that many Megaman players yet) sometimes use Up B then his Jump while recovering off-stage instead of just Up B and then using their Jump? It's something I use from time to time just because I'm trying to mimick (and many other Megamans) style of playing but I don't really like doing something if I don't understand the reasoning behind it.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
why does NinjaLink (I don't watch that many Megaman players yet) sometimes use Up B then his Jump while recovering off-stage instead of just Up B and then using their Jump?
using up b then his jump = just up b then using their jump

if you made a mistake making this post, and mean using up b then jump instead of jump then up b, it's cuz you get up B back when you get hit but you dont get jump back

Drippy

Smash Ace
using up b then his jump = just up b then using their jump

if you made a mistake making this post, and mean using up b then jump instead of jump then up b, it's cuz you get up B back when you get hit but you dont get jump back
My bad yea I meant Jump -> Up B. Also thanks for the clarification! So would you say it's always better to use Up B -> Jump while recovering?

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman

I use shorthop lemon sweet spot lemons pretty often. i do the zucco method, but with a variation to it. i do shorthop lemon, but i press down as i'm at the apex of my short hop, then i fast fall, and short hop again, and attempt to sweet spot lemon, doing this sequence over and over again. it's pretty easy getting short hop lemons to work. the only drawback is your opp shielding. you got to mixup your game by either short hopping, to fast fall, to fast grab, or short hopping to fast fall, to stand ( expect your opp to hit you with something, then dodge, and punish)

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
My bad yea I meant Jump -> Up B. Also thanks for the clarification! So would you say it's always better to use Up B -> Jump while recovering?
no, sometimes jump->up B is better since you want the snap. this is when you are close horizontally but far vertically (low).
if you need horizontal distance, usually up B->jump is preferred but if they are good at hitting you after you jump then you might want to use jump->upB.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
If you're expecting to be edgeguarded, it's generally better to use Up-B before your air jump. If they hit you, you still have both, effectively negating a gimp attempt, and also, you have less landing lag after a jump than an Up-B, so if your opponent is expecting you to land and punish you, you can hop before you hit the ground, let them miss their punish, then counter with one of your own.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Another thing to consider is that MM's UpB commits you to the "bounce" animation up through the apex, and you can't do anything til it's over. Except for the few frames of invincibility you get, it leaves you pretty vulnerable. In contrast, you can double jump into an immediate attack or airdodge.

On the other hand, MM can wall jump twice, once before UpB and once after. You can use this to stall when recovering low. So sometimes it can be useful to jump->UpB, though I find that UpB->jump is generally safer and gives you better options.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Alright guys, thanks a lot for the help! It helped me a lot in understanding in which situations I should be using which recovery. Also I need to work on wall-jumping as well, it's something I never really bothered to use.

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
How should mega man handle rush down characters, e.g. Captain Falcon, Mario, etc.?

Drippy

Smash Ace
How should mega man handle rush down characters, e.g. Captain Falcon, Mario, etc.?
From all I know, you should be trying to keep them at bay with projectiles, primarily the pellets and Metal Blade since those can easily stop approaches and if they try to approach from the air you just mix it up with U-Air or aerials in general to space them out. Just take my advice with a grain of salt though because I absolutely get destroyed by characters like Fox / Mario / Sheik / etc. as well.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
If customs are an option, Tornado Hold and Plant Barrier can give you some great breathing room. Otherwise, lemon mixups are a good way to stop rush-ins, fire differing numbers of volleys, change up how many you do in the ground or on the air, just make sure they can't guess how many and where they're going to be or you'll get punished. Metal Blades are good, but chances are they won't let you get one safely. Something to note, if you throw a Metal Blade downward in the air, you can fast-fall and catch it with a nair without touching the ground.

You can't do most of your on-the-ground options due to their speed, but you might be able to take to the skies and be safe. Leaf Shield is good against some, if you're in the air and have a second before landing, throw on a leaf shield to avoid getting juggled, and try to land a grab while it's up. Grabs and lemons will be your best ways to rack up damage. If you've got Rush, you can use it to get high up quickly, and still have your double jump and other options.

If you land on rush and bounce again, you get your second jump and your Up-B back, so against some rushdown characters, you can stay in the air indefinitely by using Rush, fast falling on to Rush, then doing it again. If they try to punish you on the way down, you'll still have your double jump to avoid it, and punish with an aerial or a blade during their lag.

What's mainly important is to always keep them guessing. Characters like Sonic are going to kill you if they can read you. It's your job in this matchup to be as hard to read as James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake.

Drippy

Smash Ace
How does Mega Man do in terms of doubles? Or is the answer of that restricted to my partner's character as well? My partner uses G&W / Charizard / Toon Link (Main) / Kirby but mainly Toon Link / Kirby in doubles. We're trying to make something work because we both don't want to have to pick up new mains (he already has a lot of mains and I'm still just barely learning Mega Man and the game in general). Any advice in general for doubles?

Last edited:

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
How does Mega Man do in terms of doubles? Or is the answer of that restricted to my partner's character as well? My partner uses G&W / Charizard / Toon Link (Main) / Kirby but mainly Toon Link / Kirby in doubles. We're trying to make something work because we both don't want to have to pick up new mains (he already has a lot of mains and I'm still just barely learning Mega Man and the game in general). Any advice in general for doubles?
you should let your partner inhale you when they use kirby, so you can double metalblade. kirby has that fast side smash attack that megman needs

Drippy

Smash Ace
you should let your partner inhale you when they use kirby, so you can double metalblade. kirby has that fast side smash attack that megman needs
Should we always Inhale right at the beginning of the game? I personally find it kind of hard to get a opportunity for my partner to Inhale when the enemy is always on us.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Oh man, I use Kirby as a secondary, and if he gets Metal Blades, he's godlike. Almost as good as Monado Kirby. You need to get your doubles partner to learn Mega Man in and out, so he can control Metal Blades like an extension of his will. Kirby can do some crazy stuff with them. Diagonal Metal Blades into Fsmash, offstage metal blade frame trap into dair, metal blade up frame trap into Final Cutter. He's just so good at using the blades. Not to mention, he can throw one, you can pick it up, and still throw your B-move wherever, and vice-versa. All the versatility of having nothing in your hands while still having the threat of a Z-Drop combo.

It's like a Mega Man/Mega Man team, but better.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Oh man, I use Kirby as a secondary, and if he gets Metal Blades, he's godlike. Almost as good as Monado Kirby. You need to get your doubles partner to learn Mega Man in and out, so he can control Metal Blades like an extension of his will. Kirby can do some crazy stuff with them. Diagonal Metal Blades into Fsmash, offstage metal blade frame trap into dair, metal blade up frame trap into Final Cutter. He's just so *good* at using the blades. Not to mention, he can throw one, you can pick it up, and still throw your B-move wherever, and vice-versa. All the versatility of having nothing in your hands while still having the threat of a Z-Drop combo.

It's like a Mega Man/Mega Man team, but better.
Wow I didn't think about that at all, I'm going to tell him because I noticed in doubles he doesn't really bother to Inhale me as much when I'm playing as Mega Man. Thanks a lot for the help!

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone been playing a particular secondary that has really helped their mega man game?

The reason I ask is I used wario exclusively for the first few months after release. I hit a wall, where I just couldn't seem to get better. So, I switched to mega man and have been working hard with him. Recently I played a few games with wario, and I could tell I was 100% better. I think mega man helped me be quicker with inputs, more precise, and learn how to operate at mid-range, which wario needs to do to bait and punish.

I know a big weakness of mine is still my shield game. Especially baiting with shield, and punishing OOS. Are there any characters that rely heavily on this? Maybe metaknight? I'm wondering if focusing a few weeks on a character like that might be helpful. Or any other ideas?

Drippy

Smash Ace
I'm just curious but whenever I do a short hop fade away nair, Mega Man always turns around after I finish shooting all three pellets. Am I just not letting my analog stick return to neutral fast enough? This is really annoying me.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Has anyone been playing a particular secondary that has really helped their mega man game?

The reason I ask is I used wario exclusively for the first few months after release. I hit a wall, where I just couldn't seem to get better. So, I switched to mega man and have been working hard with him. Recently I played a few games with wario, and I could tell I was 100% better. I think mega man helped me be quicker with inputs, more precise, and learn how to operate at mid-range, which wario needs to do to bait and punish.

I know a big weakness of mine is still my shield game. Especially baiting with shield, and punishing OOS. Are there any characters that rely heavily on this? Maybe metaknight? I'm wondering if focusing a few weeks on a character like that might be helpful. Or any other ideas?
DK helps me with making reads & approaching.
Samus helps me make long range reads (helps crash bomb mostly)
Marcina helps my movement a lot along with spacing Fairs/BAirs and juggling.
Zelda actually has helped my microspacing game a lot.

Mega Man is pretty much how I develop my shield game. Bowser's OoS up-B is the ultimate OoS gimmick and would probably be a good way to work that, but his up-B OoS can punish things that that Mega Man cannot punish at all. Another option would be characters with quick nairs for NAir OoS (Yoshi?). MK would probably work, but DAir OoS is fastest... even though I can't think of another character that DAirs OoS.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
ive been trying out shadow blade sets, but im getting frustrated by shadow blade being pefrect shielded everytime. the worse thing is the end lag to the move. is there more end lag to shadow blade than metal blade?

Top Bottom