• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Power Rankings discussion UPDATED,BRAWL RANKINGS UP

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Can you watch matches of the RoM tournament from the ustream? Or are those all only up on youtube? If there are matches of the RoM tournament on ustream, someone want to link me?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
ENOUGH WITH THE HORRIBLE REFERENCES

That game is bad.
no u

Can you watch matches of the RoM tournament from the ustream? Or are those all only up on youtube? If there are matches of the RoM tournament on ustream, someone want to link me?
No they're not up anywhere yet. Pakman and Scar will probably be uploading all their **** over the course of the next week or so, so I'd camp their youtube accounts if I were you.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Man do I love camping. Thanks Wes.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
lol Mogwai, I just hate that game because of how stupidly broken it was (assuming we are talking about the same game lol)

ROFL I placed the same as Spawn and Drephen so I guess that means I'm just as good as them :laugh:

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
lol Mogwai, I just hate that game because of how stupidly broken it was (assuming we are talking about the same game lol)

ROFL I placed the same as Spawn and Drephen so I guess that means I'm just as good as them :laugh:
we're talking about magic. limited and standard formats tend to not be broken. Extended is borderline, but not unplayably broken, just too stupid for me. Once we're talking type 1, legacy, w/e, the game is stupid as well, but some people still enjoy it, and it's been awhile since there was a deck that was super stupid dominant.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Yup that's exactly as I thought. I played that game back in 7th and 8th grade when it was actually fun and balanced (as I recall). Then I found out years later how the game changed from a friend who got back into the game. Some of the combos these people made up from these ridiculous cards were absolutely ********. Don't even get me started on Entomb. And that was before the edition dominated by artifacts that seemed to break every rule in the game came out.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Yup that's exactly as I thought. I played that game back in 7th and 8th grade when it was actually fun and balanced (as I recall). Then I found out years later how the game changed from a friend who got back into the game. Some of the combos these people made up from these ridiculous cards were absolutely ********. Don't even get me started on Entomb. And that was before the edition dominated by artifacts that seemed to break every rule in the game came out.
well, you don't actually know what you're talking about then. I mean, honestly, you sound like someone complaining about wavecheating to draw a Melee analogy. Back in 7th and 8th grade, you and your friends probably thought that necropotence was a dum card that wasn't worth playing, but there were plenty of people "breaking" the game back then too. Honestly, most of it is just metagame shift and you just have to roll with it like you have to roll with facing a Fox every other match (unless you are me and manage to only have to face floaty boring characters... :(). There have been large mistakes made that have legitimately broken the game, but they are fairly sparse in the grand scheme of things.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
well, you don't actually know what you're talking about then. I mean, honestly, you sound like someone complaining about wavecheating to draw a Melee analogy. Back in 7th and 8th grade, you and your friends probably thought that necropotence was a dum card that wasn't worth playing, but there were plenty of people "breaking" the game back then too. Honestly, most of it is just metagame shift and you just have to roll with it like you have to roll with facing a Fox every other match (unless you are me and manage to only have to face floaty boring characters... :(). There have been large mistakes made that have legitimately broken the game, but they are fairly sparse in the grand scheme of things.
I guess so, but just hearing about how many cards have been banned in that game is crazy. Like really, Chred was talking about this for like half an hour on the car ride home from the NY tourny. It's just stupid that some of those cards even got made. There were also times when I saw arguments about instants not being able to be played instantly. Some rule about when they can be played, some kind of "stack" that orders what spells can be played when, which didn't exist at all back when I played. Then again I always played with other 8th graders who might not have known what they were doing either lol

Aesir

Smash Master
They ban dumb cards sometimes.

Seriously banning Senseis divining top? =X

Yeah I realize it's rigged but you have no idea how many people wanna quit games when you have top + counter balance. LOL

pockyD

Smash Legend
uh MTG was never balanced

how are you going to go and print cards that you're going to ban before they're even released (skullclamp?)? good stuff, MTG

fun is fun, balanced is another thing

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Yeah because awsmsean was *****ing about how he couldn't go this past weekend and he thinks that Trade, Mike$, Mogwai and I are bad and he should be teh bestzorz in ct.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
And it is awsmsean's luigi, haha.

He's going to do awsmseans all over the place.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
uh MTG was never balanced
Who said it was? I think a game can fall somewhere between balanced and broken.

how are you going to go and print cards that you're going to ban before they're even released (skullclamp?)? good stuff, MTG
Skullclamp wasn't banned until a month or so after it's release. R & D dropped the ball on that one, it happens sometimes. The only emergency ban that took place before a card was even standard legal yet was on memory jar.

For the record, I'm not a fan of constructed mtg, it's completely lost it's appeal to me. I don't think it's broken, I just think the metagame has become refined to the point where you must play Fox in order to have any shot at winning. The top decks are too well tuned for any broad creative strokes to make any headway in constructed formats IMO. Limited play on the other hand is amazing and even though I tried to quit magic a few months ago, I ended up doing some drafts and sealed decks on mtgo recently and they reminded me why I love the game.

Chum

Smash Apprentice
ENOUGH WITH THE HORRIBLE REFERENCES

That game is bad.
Magic is like the best game ever.

we're talking about magic. limited and standard formats tend to not be broken. Extended is borderline, but not unplayably broken, just too stupid for me. Once we're talking type 1, legacy, w/e, the game is stupid as well, but some people still enjoy it, and it's been awhile since there was a deck that was super stupid dominant.
Remember the good old days when standard was broken I <3 raffinity =) even though that wasn't the gold old days.

They ban dumb cards sometimes.

Seriously banning Senseis divining top? =X

Yeah I realize it's rigged but you have no idea how many people wanna quit games when you have top + counter balance. LOL
That needed to be done. Infinite top combos were stupid good.

Who said it was? I think a game can fall somewhere between balanced and broken.

Skullclamp wasn't banned until a month or so after it's release. R & D dropped the ball on that one, it happens sometimes. The only emergency ban that took place before a card was even standard legal yet was on memory jar.

For the record, I'm not a fan of constructed mtg, it's completely lost it's appeal to me. I don't think it's broken, I just think the metagame has become refined to the point where you must play Fox in order to have any shot at winning. The top decks are too well tuned for any broad creative strokes to make any headway in constructed formats IMO. Limited play on the other hand is amazing and even though I tried to quit magic a few months ago, I ended up doing some drafts and sealed decks on mtgo recently and they reminded me why I love the game.

Remember how long it took for wizards to ban flash lol. Same thing here though standard is too boring but i live limited to death.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Magic is like the best game ever.
Na, it's just really good.

Remember the good old days when standard was broken I <3 raffinity =) even though that wasn't the gold old days.
ravager affinity was stupid as hell. Affinity was only cool in the Erayofinity form as the sleeper counter to Tooth and Nail. I once won a match with that deck vs. tooth and nail in like 5 minutes. Game 1, turn 1 Erayo Flip. Game 2, turn 2 Erayo Flip. GG T&N.

That needed to be done. Infinite top combos were stupid good.
Yea, it's funny to me that it was those combos that got it the axe rather than counter balance. Top + counter balance was the most frustrating board to play against in extended for the longest time.

Chum

Smash Apprentice
I just went to mtgsalvation for like the first time in over a year to check out th new stuff, and what the hell is up with these now rarities and colored artifacts?

I played with that flip deck for a little bit but always ended up playing rdw or something like that. I've always loved agro decks, and a few combo decks, can not stand controll at all, even agro control is to boring for me unless its like stompy.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Yes you are Manalord. <3 89.1 will always be the greatest station ever haha. We gotta hang out again next tournament I see you. We'll **** some Canadian tournament lol.

I think I should be the best in Brawl. I just jv4 stocked (that's right mother ****ers not taking a single hit the entire match) my brother in Metaknight dittos. He's 12.

I didn't Plank once for the record.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
Yeah because awsmsean was *****ing about how he couldn't go this past weekend and he thinks that Trade, Mike$, Mogwai and I are bad and he should be teh bestzorz in ct.
i plan on going all falcon at this, so the PRs will be interesting. although the aim panel discussion does seem like a more beast idea because we can discuss more in depth.

also, after this past weekend i have a stupid burning desire to be better at this game. its really annoying :(

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I have a burning desire to get better also. Good thing I have spring break all week this week. The aim discussion is going to be beast.

Lol, I just beat my brother without killing him once. It said that he had +3 kills and I had +0 but I won lol.

Edit: Smash64 is so bad online now. Everyone speaks Spanish and they don't have the item switch cheat.

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
smash related-spawn, let's play thursday kbaithx

mtg related-You guys all sound like n00bs to me. I haven't played MTG for the past couple years, but for the first 10 years the game was out i can tell you this, Type 1 was NEVER balanced, you either played THE DECK or you got ***** by THE DECK(if you're old school you'd know what I mean). And Type 2 was ALWAYS balanced, there was always at least 2 decks that could just as easily beat the other, though there was almost always at least 3 decks that could rock, paper, scissors each other (fox, marth, sheik if you will). In conclusion, Type 2 always had a good metagame that was constantly changing and was very fair, and Type 1 had no metagame whatsoever. You either died on turn 1 or 2, or someone pooped out. The most broken deck I ever made was only legal for 3 weeks, it allowed mox diamond to be tapped before you had to sacrifice it, it was like having 4 more lotus pedals. All 0 cost artifact mana, with hurkyls recalls, yawgmoths wills, and memory jars. That deck won me a few hundred bucks, and got a Turn 1 kill after mulliganing down to 5 cards and averaged a turn 1 kill 75% of the time >_< So broken. And of course limited is fair, that goes without saying, it just involves more luck.

Khaly

Smash Cadet
i started playing when i stole this deck a long time ago.

then i spent a couple hundred bucks on it.

then i quit because i realized i wasnt good.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I started playing when 3rd edition came out >_>

gg.
3rd edition? really? there was no "3rd edition" They didn't start using number until 4th edition, which is curiously the 5th core set:

Alpha
Beta
Unlimited
Revised
4th Ed.
etc

I suppose that Alpha is considered 0th and Beta is 1st, since they have the same card set, but still...

And yea, The Deck was gay, but then they printed more cards and it suddenly wasn't as dominant cause there was necropotence and ****. Some of the funky French 5 color agro builds could also play against it, but they cost a **** ton more money than The Deck with all their Moxes, Dual Lands, Time Walk, Ancestral, etc. and ultimately were at a slight disadvantage.

I had forgotten that Memory Jar actually was legal for a little while. It was just banned before the first Grand Prix where it would've been legal.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i wasn't trying to pull any seniority garbage... it hardly matters who's been playing since when, especially since i was in elementary school at the time and had no real idea about high-level play anyway

..though if you REALLY had been playing since 3rd edition (which is both revised and unlimited, btw wes), you'd know exactly what i'm talking about with the old mulligan system

Chum

Smash Apprentice
3rd edition? really? there was no "3rd edition" They didn't start using number until 4th edition, which is curiously the 5th core set:

Alpha
Beta
Unlimited
Revised
4th Ed.
etc

I suppose that Alpha is considered 0th and Beta is 1st, since they have the same card set, but still...

And yea, The Deck was gay, but then they printed more cards and it suddenly wasn't as dominant cause there was necropotence and ****. Some of the funky French 5 color agro builds could also play against it, but they cost a **** ton more money than The Deck with all their Moxes, Dual Lands, Time Walk, Ancestral, etc. and ultimately were at a slight disadvantage.

I had forgotten that Memory Jar actually was legal for a little while. It was just banned before the first Grand Prix where it would've been legal.
I'm pretty sure beta has a few more cards, including on of the dual lands that they forgot to print in alpha. I don't remember when I started playing its been a while, I just remember getting decent quickly.

Top Bottom