• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
Edit//Oh yeah, Onlymaskde! I would glady play with you sometime. I am in California right now though, so it has a bit of delay. I will play Strikers with anyone too :)
Sounds good :bee: If we do play hopefully there's not much lag because of the distance, but yeah I'm definitely up to playing. Just hit me up on my aim or PM me here if you're up for it.

<------------ FC

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Why have I never met Jam Stunna, he seems like a rad individual. If he's friend's with JV Smooth then that pretty much guarantees it, though, because even though I've only met JV once, he's the man.
I'm always down for meeting more great people. Your avatar speaks volumes to your awesomeness.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
D: Man.
Jam makes me want to get to my 2000th post sooner.
:[ I'm still like, 720 or something off.
-DD

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
In the grand tradition of 2,000th posts, I humbly submit the following.

---------------------------------------------------

I've been playing Smash Bros. since the original, but I didn't attend my first tournament until 2004. It's hard to believe, but that was four whole years ago. In the interim, I've met alot of great people, been to some really cool places and had an unbelievable amount of fun. I've also had extremely frustrating moments, met a few jerks and been to hole-in-the-wall locations in order to compete. The good by far outweighs the bad, but the bad is there nonetheless.

Over these last few years, I've grown and changed alot. I'm not the same person I was when I stepped into my first tournament. I'm happily married with a beautiful son, I have my own apartment, and I'm finally getting closer to finishing college, among other things. But one thing that hasn't changed over the years is my love for Smash, but especially my love for this community. CT Smash is really the reason I keep playing, because I love you guys. The game itself is great, but it's the people you play it with that makes it special.

Yet that community has grown and changed the same way I have. Everyone's gotten so much better, to the point where I honestly believe that on any given day, anyone can beat anyone else (with the exception of Cort). People who were around when I first started playing have retired or moved on: Rep, V, JC, Nesskid, Lock, and others. I miss them, but the time came for them to move on to something different. I respect that, even though I wish they were still around. As much as I liked them as people, I liked them just as much as competitors. It used to be my dream to be on the CT Power Rankings. Once I finally got there, I was extremely proud and grateful for the recognition. But those names that dominated the list in 2005 and 2006 were gone by the time I got there, and it just meant a little bit less.

And now the biggest change of all: the transition to a totally new game. Anyone who claims to know me knows my feelings on that subject, so I'll let the dead horse rest for a bit. My more immediate concern is the wave of new "retirements" that's occurred. Some people have come around to playing Brawl, and I'm glad. But more than anything, I've realized that the transition to Brawl is just a natural jumping-off point for some, and a jumping-on point for others. We're all not as young as we used to be: it may have only been four or five years since this all started, but 4-5 years in the life of a 20-year old is a quarter of their lives. Being 22 is a huge change from being 18, being 20 is an even huger change from being 16. It may not be that the game is less desirable than it's predecessor; for some people, it may just be time to say good-bye. Shminkledorf taught me that.

I've been to one tournament this year I think, and the funny thing is, I don't mind all that much. I was planning on attending the tournament this Sunday, but if I don't go, oh well. I play Brawl with friends online, and I play Melee at home with my wife. I'm starting to think that maybe that's enough. I don't drive, so I can't go see you guys. I'm trying to get the use of Capital for the summer, but I've run into walls there as well. This isn't necessarily a retirement post, because there will always be a part of me that wants to prove that I can play well against you guys. And of course, I always want to hang out. But I don't ask for my co-worker to switch work days with me anymore, because even though I want to play, I don't want to play that badly. I suppose that's the best way to characterize my feelings at this point: I'm always willing to play, but I'm not so willing to go the extra mile anymore. I've found lately that I'm more interested in tournament theory than actual tournaments: stuff like match-ups, what should be banned and what shouldn't, bracketology, etc. Weird, right?

It might sound cheesy, but CT Smash is like a family. Families never say good-bye, even though they may not see each other for a while. I consider myself extremely lucky, because I have two families: my wife and son, and then you guys. You've made me better in more regards than just Smash, and I can't thank you enough for all of the wonderful experiences.

tl; dr: I'm not done with this game yet, but I may not be around as much as I have been (if it's even possible to be less consistent at tournaments than I have been in the past). I'll see you around.

-------------------------------------------------

And now, various shout-outs:

Old-School
Cort- You were the very first person I ever played at a tournament. Talk about the welcome wagon, right? I still remember it: Round 1, C. Falcon vs. Roy, you won. Round 2, C. Falcon vs. Roy, I won. Round 3, Falco vs Roy, you ***** me. Haha, good times. I've always looked up to you not only because you were better than me, but because you demonstrated how it's possible to go from the local scene to the national scene. We never hung out much, but I do appreciate the times we did play.

Brookman- It's pretty much ingrained in my muscle memory from looking at the PR's so much over the last four years: Cort, then Brookman. If I had to characterize you, Mike, I'd pretty much say, "Brookman is what happens when cool and Smash combine". I was always so proud of myself when I got you down to one stock. You were the other person that I always looked up to, thinking that maybe, someday, I would be ranked higher than Brookman. It never happened, haha. Kid's too good.

V- We played each other for like four straight tourneys, and then never had to again. I learned to fear the Fox from you. Of all the people who are no longer around, I definitely miss you the most. You actually moved, you jerk! :( California is a better state for having you as a resident. Good luck in everything that you do, and visit often!

Nus- We only played each other once, but it was one for the ages. If I were to list the greatest moments in my life, they would go:
1) The birth of my son
2) My wedding day
3) Beating Nus in tournament
4) Uconn beating Duke in the 2004 Final Four
There were no words to describe how I felt, because I respected you so much. Then you demonstrated exactly why I respected you, by beating me 4-1, 4-0 in the finals! ;) Man, that was probably the most flawless Falco performance I've ever seen. And I've hated him ever since.

Rep- You were the guy I always looked for at tournaments, to hang out with and chill with between matches. It was you who got me playing the ICs in the first place, while we were playing each other at the first VLS. We were going random, and I came up on the ICs, and after we played you said, "You're pretty good with them." The rest, as they say, is history. To CT's original Luigi: We miss you.

JC- I used to train at home, thinking, "I have to beat JC. I have to beat JC." I picked up Zelda just in the hopes of beating your Falco. Thankfully for me, I never had to face you in tournament, because our friendlies showed me I had no hope. I really admire you for your off-the-Smash scene accomplishments as well. Engineering is a fantastic field to choose, and I know you'll do great things with it.

Nesskid- My favorite memory of you was when you and your girlfriend played me and my wife in teams (she was my girlfriend back then too). More than Chu Dat or Wobbles, I watched your ICs for inspiration. And you were just a great guy to be around. I hope to play you again someday.

milktea- We only played once, at IXesticle I believe. Darn Peach vs. ICs, that match is unwinnable, haha. Lil, I haven't hung out with you much and we don't talk much, but you're a smart, beautiful young woman, and you're way too young to be as jaded towards relationships as you are. Enjoy yourself, enjoy college, and leave all the doubt and questions to the philosophers for now. This should be the time of your life. Make sure that it is!

Aesir-I think you're the only old-schooler that I've never played, ever. That's really weird. You like FF 6 and SoA, so you're A-OK in my book!

Shminkledorf- Haha, I think you're the one who killed Roy for me. After that match, I only played Roy in tournament one more time, and I never used Jiggs again. For some reason, I can very clearly remember you practicing Falco shines with PC at some past esticle. Everything we talked about that day, you were right. I guess it just took me a little longer to come to the same conclusions.

Spawn- You just graduated, right? Hell yes! You discovered my secret (me vs. Fox = I lose), and you're wise and cool well beyond your years. Gabriel still wants his money match, so practice up, because he'll probably be a Metaknight user!

Pipe- The chain of scary Foxes remains unbroken! You were one of the few people to come to most of the summertime meet-ups we had at Capital, and I really appreciate your support. If we start doing them again this summer, I hope to see you there!

JV-Last, but not least. My friend, my brother. You are the one who finally showed me how this game is supposed to be played. I thank you, and owe all of the progress and skill I've made and achieved over the years to you. Our friendship goes well beyond Smash, and we've known each other forever without actually knowing each other, haha. No big message here, you live right down the street so I see you all the time, haha. Just, thank you.

------------------------------------------------------

Man, this is MUCH longer than I thought it would be. I'll get to New School and Honorary CTers later, if I have the time.
I am, deeply hurt

thumbswayup

Smash Master
theress still hope at being an honary cter for you don't lose hope yet, i mean he did think you were a cter for a long time... a lot of us did actually...
Haha, I know. I don't see how, though. I've always had "Kensinton, MD" as my location. I guess everyone just assumed I was a CTer because I posted in this thread.

_V_

Smash Ace
Jam, that was the most eloquent post ever. I do hope that we will one day hang out again! Thanks for always inspiring me to get better...our mini rivalry at our first few tournaments was awesome.

Dave!!!! I hope I see you again sometime soon!

I promise to go to a tournament when I am in the area again, so I can hopefully see some of my favorite people and meet some of these new people that I do not have faces to put with their names!

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I know. I don't see how, though. I've always had "Kensinton, MD" as my location. I guess everyone just assumed I was a CTer because I posted in this thread.
I actually thought you were from CT for so long. I think I realized it when you were talking about C3, I decided to check your location so your a CTer in my head even though my vote doesn't count much :0)

double post ftw

^nvm ha.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Jesus Poffy, don't triple post.
Then the mods will get all up in here again.
And you'll get punches from Alex, if he even does that anymore.
-DD

NusCirtap

Smash Ace
West Hartford, CT &lt;3 Asian Cuteness Level: 10
lol at people not being able to tell who is CT. Everyone is CT at heart. >_>

I still play Rep in melee from time to time and just saw him less than two weeks ago. He probably won't be going to a tournament soon because he hates brawl. T_T I'll relay the shoutout to him though, he'll be really happy. ^^

Aesir

Smash Master
lol at people not being able to tell who is CT. Everyone is CT at heart. >_>

I still play Rep in melee from time to time and just saw him less than two weeks ago. He probably won't be going to a tournament soon because he hates brawl. T_T I'll relay the shoutout to him though, he'll be really happy. ^^
Tell that crazy motha ****a to come to MM

Top Bottom