• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
half-japanese roommate listens to punk and hip-hop. she bought me vodka since i made her dinner. considering i hated my roommates last semester i was here i'd say this is a step up.

watching cartoons until i pass out. finishing up ace attorney investigations: edgeworth at the same time. gonna see friends this weekend. life is good.
(p.s. jam where are you and will i see you soon?)

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
half-japanese roommate listens to punk and hip-hop. she bought me vodka since i made her dinner. considering i hated my roommates last semester i was here i'd say this is a step up.

watching cartoons until i pass out. finishing up ace attorney investigations: edgeworth at the same time. gonna see friends this weekend. life is good.
(p.s. jam where are you and will i see you soon?)
Pics of your roommates.
-DD

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
they're still together.
but eww. i hate that band.
they are?
oh wait http://www.punknews.org/article/38778 I didn't know about this. Not sure if I'm excited or not even though they are one of my all time favorites.

I couldn't get into the vocals at all the first time I listened to them but quickly came to appreciate it. Plus there's nothing like losing your voice for a day after seeing them live. The good old days. where's my walker I need some metamucil

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
they're just too hit or miss with me. a like a couple songs but as a whole i can't enjoy their music for multiple reasons. i don't dislike it, just can't get into it. same with h2o and ramones and other respected bands. there are some bands that suck balls though (mighty mighty bosstones, casualties, converge) that i can't even pretend to say **** like "to each his own" XD

but yeah, only reason i knew they were together is that they are touring with the souls after the souls tour with bad religion. they play in boston in a month and you should go. half-japanese roommate is going with me to see that show, btw. too good.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Mad jealous. Hopefully see you at VLS!

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
please don't mention h2o and the ramones in the same sentence ever again.

how do you not like converge?

I find the bouncing souls pretty insufferable. we're just not going to be friends I guess. :( lol
"hate that band" was comparitive. i've liked 2 songs i've heard. but they're bland as ****. not that pop-punk extends the courtesy of creative opportunities, but i can literally guess the chord progression of their songs correctly half the time when listening to something new. because of that, they aren't the worst band i've heard, but other than a couple of songs i've heard i find it mediocre even for pop-punk.
h20 and ramones are being mentioned in the same sentence. make my day. :p

souls are one of the most respected and original bands out there. they're on the line of punk and pop punk in the same sense as kid dynamite, one man army, etc., so i can see not liking them but someone digging hot water music and not bouncing souls is like...well everyone has different tastes so i can't be condescending or something, but it's definitely different.

i just think converge sucks balls, a friend of mine pleaded for me to like them because "their newest album is like the noisiest one yet!" i listen to a few noise core bands but converge being the "loudest" means jack **** to me. i understand that's not all that the band is about, but even from a music theory perspective i do not hear anything enjoyable. noise for noise sake seems almost parody to me.

disagreeing on music doesn't mean you have to disown me, man T.T

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
"hate that band" was comparitive.
how so? there were no other bands mentioned in the posts leading up to that. it's okay if you want to ammend your original statement, but just admit it.
i've liked 2 songs i've heard. but they're bland as ****. not that pop-punk extends the courtesy of creative opportunities, but i can literally guess the chord progression of their songs correctly half the time when listening to something new. because of that, they aren't the worst band i've heard, but other than a couple of songs i've heard i find it mediocre even for pop-punk.
HWM is more post-punk or post-hardcore than pop-punk. some of their stuff has pop-punk influences but even those songs are set apart due to their musicianship and unconventional vocals (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmy7PZuk4E0).
bland? predictable chord progression?
yeah, I totally see what you mean.
I'd much rather prefer 3-4 chord palm muted pop punk.
pretty much every single complaint about HWM has been because of their unconventionality, with the constant dueling guitar lines, too-much-whiskey-and-smokes double singing, and crazy as **** rhythm section.
souls are one of the most respected and original bands out there.
no, they're not. tastes aside, that's just a fact. playing variations of pop punk for 20 years is not original.
i can see not liking them but someone digging hot water music and not bouncing souls is like...well everyone has different tastes so i can't be condescending or something, but it's definitely different.
No, it's not "definitely different" (which is still condescending, btw). I don't mean to pull this card but I was into this scene for a long time and my opinion is not an extreme one. Bouncing Souls are well respected (hence my cross-out up there) for solid songwriting, a great live show, and their longevity. but to pretend they're the untouchable holy grail of punk, especially when you don't like the ****ing RAMONES, is pretty myopic.
i just think converge sucks balls, a friend of mine pleaded for me to like them because "their newest album is like the noisiest one yet!" i listen to a few noise core bands but converge being the "loudest" means jack **** to me. i understand that's not all that the band is about, but even from a music theory perspective i do not hear anything enjoyable. noise for noise sake seems almost parody to me.
converge isn't noisecore. well, I haven't heard their last like 2 albums so maybe they changed a lot. right around Jane Doe I got pretty sick of their repetitive GRINDGRINDGRINDGRIND meedly meedly CHUGCHUGCHUG schtick... but Petitioning the Empty Sky is considered a fairly seminal hardcore album which I agree with.
disagreeing on music doesn't mean you have to disown me, man T.T
I was kidding :lick:

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
how so? there were no other bands mentioned in the posts leading up to that. it's okay if you want to ammend your original statement, but just admit it.
...we were, actually. we were talking about bands on no idea records. i didn't list every band i thought was better than them on the label since there are naturally quite a few bands i listen to who've put out music through them, but that's the context.

i'm going to prefer not to argue with you because i typed it out and said a lot of rude things in retort, and i don't want any cog-hazy beef on the boards. and by beef i mean we're both vegetarians so like...tofurkey? yeah. no tofurkey.

i'll just say i adamantly disagree with about half of what you said. everyone in the world that listens to lots of music thinks they are the ultimate word on tastes, you just need to chill more when people don't share yours. what i meant by hwm/souls being "definintely different" was just the fact that more people listen to (or at least album sales numbers say) the souls than hwm but you presented the two bands like everyone knows that one sucks and one is great. i didn't mean for it to sound condescending. although like...i hope you realize your entire post is condescending. but maybe you didn't mean to insinuate i am a dope and just got wrapped up in arguing what you care about like i usually do. except i'm probably usually more rude.

only a slightly related story...
this one time my friend micah walked into a room where like 5 of us were listening to hip-hop. he waited like 30 minutes and was like "rap isn't music" and got torn apart. we were like "dude, even if your claim made sense, you just have to know your environment." since then i thought about it and decided music isn't worth arguing about past a casual level since it's not likely that discussion will come to any conclusion, and people usually just leave or end the conversation upset.

anyone ever get a cut on their achilles tendon? i'm wondering how long it will take to heal since i am a human and have to walk all the ****ing time.

edit: http://i.imgur.com/5btf4.png
/skeptical eyes/

Top Bottom