• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
i might start getting into 1p games since i have a lot of downtime inbtwn games. it can get repetative sometimes

recommendations? besides ff xiii and heavy rain, i was planning on geting mad semi old games since theyre all cheap now

fallout 3
saints row 2
re5

any other reccomendations? mgs4 maybe but i havent played any other mgs game.
You need to play the other Metal Gears first. Definitely It's definitely one of those games you need to play in order.

If you need any of the Metal Gears....I have all of them. You can borrow them if you want but ummmm mess them up and ima kill you. :)

I recommend:

Chrono Trigger
FF 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8, (if you want to go really retro) 10,
Batman Arkham Asylum
Heavenly Sword
GOW series (to get pumped for III because it looks epic)
Devil May Cry I (amazing game)
Zelda-Ocarina of time (lttp, links awakening works too)

If you want to go really old school let me know. I'm a very retro gamer.

Speaking of which: My GF (soon to be I think) gave me five NES games tonight one of which is Mike Tysons Punchout!! <3 her. lol.
you can get the god of war collection. it comes with the first and second.
Devil May Cry is better IMO. I really don't know why the God of War series is so popular. It's a pretty fun game and Kratos is pretty cool but I don't think that series is anything epic IMO. Honestly though, I've heard amazing things about three and I think it actually does look incredible.

Problem though: Its ****ing less than 10 hours of gameplay for $60.00
Major turnoff this day and age.

I watch/have watched so much Melee footage. That's like how you get really good, you watch a pro, imitate the best you can what they're doing, keep recreating until you can do it near perfect.

That's how I'm learning Falco and that's like 1/3-2/3 of what I've learned about Sheik.
Yes, I agree with you here and this is how I've improved my Marth. I literally got the reverse upB gimp from Cort and saw how he did it against Moon Doggie and how to Chain Grab spacies, etc. but meh, i don't know. I get really bored watching matches. :ohwell:

Watching smash Vs playing Smash is such a huge gap for me....its definitely one of the best games to watch though nowadays. Brawl is BS to watch. It's so dry.

Watching SF IV is pretty lame too. Its very campy and I'd rather play it.

I'm getting better at the fight stick. Beat a few people online. It KILLS ME to lose matches I know I normally would not lose though with the controller because i'm like "god, he ****ing sucked. God **** this fight stick learning curve!"

Octave

Smash Ace
Happy birthday Axleman.

POF - I played MGS4 without playing the others and still had fun with it. I understood what was going on.. sort of. Also, I hear bad things about FF8.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
POF - I played MGS4 without playing the others and still had fun with it. I understood what was going on.. sort of. Also, I hear bad things about FF8.
Metal Gear is 10X more enjoyable if you go through the games the way they should be played.

Not to say you can't enjoy MGS4 alone...but it is waaaayyyyyy more thrilling and exciting if you play it last.

It literally answers EVERY SINGLE question any metal gear fan had up to the final game. It IMO, is arguably one of the greatest video game series ever created alongside Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Smash Brothers, Zelda, and Mario.

.....Honestly now that I think about it Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Mortal Kombat, God of War, Devil May Cry, sports games, movie video games, doom, quake, etc really did not do as much for their so called systems as much as those 6 did.

Mario defined platformers.....done deal. You can't really argue that much there. Mario goes back to ****ing Atari. lol.

Zelda and FF defined generations of adventure and RPG games. Have any of you played FF for NES? Arguably one of the hardest RPG's of all time. It's impossible.

Metal Gear was the Pulp Fiction or Memento of video games. If you've played them, you know what I mean.

Street Fighter defined fighting games. It is the staple of fighting games today.

Smash Brothers introduced something completely new that NO game has ever done before. ever.

actually wait....doom was a pretty big deal actually.

I love video games sometimes.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I loved the first Devil May Cry. It is such a shame the second one SUCKED MAJOR **** and the third was great but basically impossible and I heard 4 was great until the halfway point.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Happy birthday Axleman.

Whoever told you FF8 was bad is a loser. All FFs on the PS1 are masterpieces, basically.

Except MGS4 was a movie LOOOLOLOLO
This. I would totally have watched MGS4 if it was a movie.

I loved the first Devil May Cry. It is such a shame the second one SUCKED MAJOR **** and the third was great but basically impossible and I heard 4 was great until the halfway point.
If the third is impossible then you're bad at gaming! I remember my friend got the third one and I was just beating stuff he thought was really hard or something. I just slash it to death...seemed pretty simple. DMC4 is awesome, until you have to
refight every boss in the **** game without taking a break. That kinda sucked really hard.
-DD

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Whoever told you FF8 was bad is a loser. All FFs on the PS1 are masterpieces, basically.

This. I would totally have watched MGS4 if it was a movie.

If the third is impossible then you're bad at gaming! I remember my friend got the third one and I was just beating stuff he thought was really hard or something. I just slash it to death...seemed pretty simple. DMC4 is awesome, until you have to
refight every boss in the **** game without taking a break. That kinda sucked really hard.
-DD
WHAT?! You have to refight every boss in the game in DMCTHREE!! INCLUDING AN INSANE CHESS BOARDS BENT ON DESTROYING YOU! All this in ONE mission! You also may have been playing on an easier difficulty because mY GOD that game is EVIL

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
Devil May Cry 2 is pretty much a crime against mankind. It's by far the worst game I've ever played. I found it for $10 and even then I wish I could've gotten those $10 back.

-DD
FF8 was only bad because it was so incredibly easy. By far the easiest FF I've ever played. It was incredibly easy to deal tons of damage in the beginning of the game.

Lol have you ever tried playing Dante Must Die mode in DMC3?
It took me so long to beat that mode because it's so frustrating. I'm mad I don't even have the memory card to prove that I did it. I won't ever go through that again though. Pure masochism.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
WHAT?! You have to refight every boss in the game in DMCTHREE!! INCLUDING AN INSANE CHESS BOARDS BENT ON DESTROYING YOU! All this in ONE mission! You also may have been playing on an easier difficulty because mY GOD that game is EVIL
o.O Really? Hm. I guess they did it in both then LOL. Went over so well the first time. It wasn't a chess board in DMC4 though, it was more like Satanic Candyland.

Devil May Cry 2 is pretty much a crime against mankind. It's by far the worst game I've ever played. I found it for $10 and even then I wish I could've gotten those $10 back.

FF8 was only bad because it was so incredibly easy. By far the easiest FF I've ever played. It was incredibly easy to deal tons of damage in the beginning of the game.

Lol have you ever tried playing Dante Must Die mode in DMC3?
It took me so long to beat that mode because it's so frustrating. I'm mad I don't even have the memory card to prove that I did it. I won't ever go through that again though. Pure masochism.
>_>... I remember playing DMD mode in either 3 or 4 for a while...but I get bored with most games in a few hours...and after all those hours in Monster Hunter its easy to dodge things when you can like...jump...
-DD

noodles

Smash Champion
thats why i havent gotten 3 yet >_>. theyre short but still pretty good. ill wait until prices go down unless my brother gets it.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
POF- You really dislike watching matches that much (aside from hyped as **** ones)? I generally find everything about Melee to be entertaining in some way.

Bernard- I'll pay like half for the GOW collection and I'll play the game after you beat it... I have so many games to play I don't think I'd be able to pester you about being able to play it.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
From what I've played of both OoT and MM before I got bored and stopped, I did play more of MM and enjoyed MM more. It kinda broke the normal Zelda loop and put a real feeling of urgency on stuff. OoT was like "Oh, so the Princess is captured? Whatever, I'll get to it when I get to it."

I didn't play more than 20 minutes of Minish though. =P
-DD

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Kinda srs business question

anyone ever have this happen to them:

I bought something at a store with my checking account visa. it went through as credit and naturally theres a hold which is associated with the amount I was charged and my balance reflects this by showing me the difference/available balance with my hold intact.......sounds right so far? nothing out of the ordinary right?

4 days later, I just check my account online for kicks seeing if my direct deposit check went in yet(since its technically Friday). The check hadn't gone thru yet but I see a new balance. A balance that is NOT associated with the hold that had been on my account for the past 4 days. I check and the hold is gone and seemingly the money I spent was restored magically. There is NO online record of the transaction in sight.(not in the holds section of the regular transaction section). Did i get some 1337 break? Or has someone seen this happen and the hold/charge/whatever will occur?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I don't know if they'll charge you later, but you're legally on the hook for that money either way I believe, even if the bank made a clerical error in your favor.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I don't know if they'll charge you later, but you're legally on the hook for that money either way I believe, even if the bank made a clerical error in your favor.
lol if the charge happens too far down the line, I should dispute the charge. I doubt the place I bought it from has the records now. hmmmmmmmmm, that'd be funny.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
yay, i've sparked discussion thats awesome.

Whoever told you FF8 was bad is a loser.
*High Five*

And yes, all of the FF's ever made aside from II, XI, X-2, and any made on the GC are beyond incredible. Still on the fence about my feelings on XIII (goes to play more.)

OOT and Mario 64 are arguably some of the biggest leaps IMO made by Nintendo.

Majoras Mask TRIED to do something different for Zelda (much like Wind Waker) but pretty much failed to catch on to the bulk of the Zelda fans. The Animated Link series took off for the DS but failed for the platforming systems.

Honestly, it would not surprise me if the creators of Zelda thought the following:

"wait a sec guys, we had Link sell Masks in OOT, right? What if we made a game all about finding Masks? Amazing Idea. Go."

Jam-Stop amazing the best avatar/location combos EVER. GOD! :)

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
OOT and Mario 64 are arguably some of the biggest leaps IMO made by Nintendo.

Majoras Mask TRIED to do something different for Zelda (much like Wind Waker) but pretty much failed to catch on to the bulk of the Zelda fans. The Animated Link series took off for the DS but failed for the platforming systems.

Honestly, it would not surprise me if the creators of Zelda thought the following:

"wait a sec guys, we had Link sell Masks in OOT, right? What if we made a game all about finding Masks? Amazing Idea. Go."
I think Mario 64 is extremely overrated xD
But that's just my opinion.

I just think everyone loved Ocarina of Time when it was first released because it was the first 3D Zelda game. To be honest, the story line felt a lot like A Link to the Past, except instead of the Dark Realm you time traveled and the game presented little to no difficulty, even as a kid. Ocarina of Time does however have some of the best music in the Zelda series, if not the best.

I just loved Majora's Mask because of how dark it was compared to all the other Zelda games to that point. Up until a few years ago, I had never been able to P (Perfect for those that don't watch Yipes) that game, and by P I mean getting all the heart pieces, quivers, bomb bags, and all that other -ish. I just think it's MUCH more difficult than OoT.

Wind Waker is the best game in the series imo.
Even though I agree with almost everyone that the sailing kinda killed the game. Probably the best story/bosses in the series.

Jam, I read all of those essays. I even bookmarked them for future reference. Thanks for sharing that.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
swift - for check cards, lots of banks charge things to your account as credit and then when it gets fully processed, they refund the entirety of the exchange and then RECHARGE is as debit, since it is indeed straight out of your account and not credit.

so maybe they just refunded the credit but didn't post the debit charge yet? i dunno.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Sorry I don't watch youtube videos or watch matches all the time?

I dont watch Melee footage often. I just watch stuff that youtube "recommends" I watch really or hit up SleepyK's channel. Youtube is more for updates for me on games or funny stuff.
Actually, you're ******** for erroneously assuming that Marth players haven't bothered to learn the Sheik matchup, you're a scrub for suggesting that switching to Fox is a cop-out or anything like that, and you're even more ******** for claiming to know what 95% of the community does when you rarely travel out of your own state.

Bernard: **** 1p games. You should just play RO with me and Octave.

Really though, I don't want you to get overloaded with a million suggestions. If I had to pick one game for you to play it would probably be Super Metroid.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Happy Birthday Boxman and Axe Islamabad.

Link to the Past is the best Zelda.

Super Metroid was the greatest game on the SNES, and that's saying alot given the caliber of games on that legendary system.

FF8 has Quistis. Your other arguments are invalid.

I'm going to PAX East as soon as I finish teaching today. Which means you guys will be bereft of my top-notch spam for a few days.

Melee with Reno, Dazwa and Solid Jake (and Diem?) at PAX East will be godly. You're all missing out.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Yeah, POF, Zoso is right. People have tried learning the Sheik matchup for Marth. It's just such a stupid matchup for him. You get like a 30% chance you'll do over 30 damage from one grab. Sheik has like a guaranteed 20-30 damage from one grab and like a 50% chance of doing like 60 damage from one grab. It's pretty dumb. I mean, the world's best Marth lost to Overtriforce's Sheik (who's really ****ing good... I dunno how he ranks compared to the rest of Europe, probably top 3 definitely top 5) yet M2k beat him with Fox. What does that tell you?

Edit:
I'll be there at 6. I'm not going OOS with my dad for work so I'll definitely be there then.
People should go to the Vernon meetup tonight. Roman and awsmsean are going. Heck, even Cort is going!

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
swift - for check cards, lots of banks charge things to your account as credit and then when it gets fully processed, they refund the entirety of the exchange and then RECHARGE is as debit, since it is indeed straight out of your account and not credit.

so maybe they just refunded the credit but didn't post the debit charge yet? i dunno.

yup happened this morning

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I'm right about a good 90% of the community using Fox though.

Who doesn't use Fox or think about bringing him out in tournament for certain match ups? Heck, I've done it once or twice and I don't even use him. lol.

Everyone who plays a fighter is generally a tier *** because that is just how people are and you do not need to travel to see/learn that. People play to win. Fox has AT WORST one bad match up (Falco) and does great on every single level in the game. People don't switch to him because hes cool...they do it because hes stupid good and every single move he has is amazing.

Oh yeah, he kills people as low as 5% with a shine.

I can see an argument for OOT being overrated. Definitely.

I think the original Metroid is better than Super Metroid. Super Metroid is solid, but its not anything close to the best game on SNES

Killer Instinct
Mortal Kombat II
Double Dragon IV
Chrono Trigger
FF 2
FF 3
Turtles In Time
Donkey Kong series

are all better for example

I can't go to Vernon, work.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I think Mario 64 is extremely overrated xD
But that's just my opinion.

I just think everyone loved Ocarina of Time when it was first released because it was the first 3D Zelda game. To be honest, the story line felt a lot like A Link to the Past, except instead of the Dark Realm you time traveled and the game presented little to no difficulty, even as a kid. Ocarina of Time does however have some of the best music in the Zelda series, if not the best.

I just loved Majora's Mask because of how dark it was compared to all the other Zelda games to that point. Up until a few years ago, I had never been able to P (Perfect for those that don't watch Yipes) that game, and by P I mean getting all the heart pieces, quivers, bomb bags, and all that other -ish. I just think it's MUCH more difficult than OoT.

Wind Waker is the best game in the series imo.
Even though I agree with almost everyone that the sailing kinda killed the game. Probably the best story/bosses in the series.

Jam, I read all of those essays. I even bookmarked them for future reference. Thanks for sharing that.
Mario 64 was groundbreaking for Nintendo fans. I remember my sister taking it for a swing on Christmas morning and how ****ing unbelievable it was for us. Going back, it probably loses a whole lot, but at the time you have to understand how amazing it was (not sure if you got it immediately, but jeez, it was amazing back then and if you didn't experience that, I really feel sorry for you).

Have any Zelda games actually been challenging? Have any 1P games from that era and beyond? I know I like to ***** about how there's nothing challenging out there in the 1P market anymore, but I don't think that was ever really the appeal of Zelda games for me.

And do you seriously judge Zelda games that much on Story? To me the story in Zelda is just the way the game tells you what to do next. I've never found myself getting invested in the actual content of the story at all in Zelda.

Sailing in WW was fun for about 5 minutes, bearable for the next 30 minutes, and the subsequent 5702485398457 hours were brutal. I really enjoyed the rest of that game, but I have no idea how playtesting didn't reveal that after you had explored a section of the map it was just a huge pain in the *** to have to keep sailing to get where you needed.

Top Bottom