• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

dudutsai

Smash Lord
8 was bad for completionists like me who needed to Draw 100 of each spell... It made much of the game too easy, and took a freaking long time. There was one boss who had 3 mystery spells pretty early on that I literally spent 45 minutes on.
12 was really fun I don't know why people enjoy pressing X more than letting your guys use attack command for you, but a lot of people don't like the battle system for some reason...

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Korean MMO it's bad.

Seriously if you like masochistic leveling and almost no end game content. Then you'll probably love it.
lrn2notstereotype.

Aion [I've played before] is at its Core, LineageII with wings/better combat.

Its really good, and there IS endgame content, and its not that masochistic until the final 5-10 levels...but its been almost a week and people are nearing the cap...

You can get to level 20 in less than 24 hours[even as a noob]...so it really isn't bad.

Lineage II is awesome, and Aion will top it!

-DD

Aesir

Smash Master
lrn2notstereotype.
I would if every single Korean game was not the same thing.

Aion [I've played before] is at its Core, LineageII with wings/better combat.
Wings are ********, and definitely not the first game to implement them.

Combat in Aion is the same thing, they just added "Combos" Have our standards really dropped that much that adding a gimmicky thing has made us go WOW!
Its really good, and there IS endgame content, and its not that masochistic until the final 5-10 levels...but its been almost a week and people are nearing the cap...
What, like two instances?

Or that War of Emporium rip off they have going on?

as for the grinding I'll give you that, I forgot they had quest style leveling.

You can get to level 20 in less than 24 hours[even as a noob]...so it really isn't bad.
I forgot about the quest style leveling.

Lineage II is awesome, and Aion will top it!
Lineage II also died.

Sorry but any game that comes out of Korea I never take seriously because it's targeted at Asian audiences.

Which the formula goes.

Grind get max level, do some quest to lose all your levels and do it over with better stats and skills ect.. Get max level again.

Profit.

That's their formula. Almost every single KMMO has that.

-Aesir

Edit: 4 and 6 are the best Final Fantasy's, 8 is really the 7 for people who hate 7.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Final Fantasy 4 is incredible. Agreed.

I think FF 6 is good but its not one of the best.

I didnt go complete crazy on FF8. As long as i get the lion heart....im happy. lol

(im starting a file right now....)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
personally i prefer triple triad over tetra master
it was simpler and more addicting
until you got broken cards

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Of the ones I have played, Final Fantasy 8 is my least favorite next to 12. The battle system was somewhat innovative but it wasn't fun at all (same complaint with 12).
totally agree with you on that one

Thought 10 was a work of art. its probly my fav. Yea its a scruby pick. Ive always heard and wanted to play 9.

7 is a bit overrated but still good

played thru some of 8 but it never appealed. Squall and Cloud always came off as char that were too similar. Tidus was weird/quirky and seemingly a bit more flawed thats why I liked him.

the supporting cast is what makes FF for me so far. lulu and auron have to be some of the most original looking and appealing characters in FF. The 10 cast to me helped defeat the cliche's of classes.

Im looking forward to at least seeing the characters and story behind 13 but 13 versus looks so much more badass(and probly more cliche' too)

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Aion is largely modeled after WoW. There's no quest to lose all your levels, and leveling is largely quest-based, although there are a bit fewer quests than WoW has. The profession/crafting system even resembles WoW's. NCSoft really tried hard to make a Western style MMO with Aion, and they did a good job of it.

Aion lacks the polish that WoW has, but it's far better than any other Asian MMO I've played. I'm in Jake's guild and we're both over level 20 after about a week of playing. (Max level is 50). We haven't gotten to real PvP yet, but from what I hear it sounds a lot like WoW, earning PvP points you can redeem for goodies. It's a pretty **** good MMO from what I've seen so far of it. I just hope the endgame is just as good, and that NCSoft keeps coming out with updates on a regular basis like Blizzard does.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
/ignores MMO talk

FF10 is a not particularly good game, but an entertaining 20 hour long CG movie for those of us who get off on pretty graphics. The gameplay felt too easy once I learned to exploit the sphere grid, but whatever, I'm not gonna front and pretend I didn't really like the music and shiny graphics of 10, which is weird because I typically think of myself as only liking games for gameplay. I still don't really know why I like FF4, but for w/e reasons it's stuck as my favorite (probably nostalgia). FF6 was very good and struck me as a much more rewarding experience than FF7, which I found very average and unexciting (probably because I played it a good 4-5 years after it first came out). FF3/FF5 were too easy to exploit with the job systems, but I'm a grinding and twinking ***** sometimes so I don't regret playing either, although I doubt I'll ever give either a second play through. FF1 is **** because it has **** that consistently just outright kills your party and you can't ever cast spells because you get so few. This sounds like sarcasm, but it's not, I ****ing love FF1 and how it legitimately scares the crap out of me as I'm trying to get out of a dungeon to save my progress. never played FF2/FF8/FF9/FF11/FF12.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
The biggest aspect of an RPG to get me to play is the battle system and character uniqueness. (I actually played through the awfulness of Star Ocean 3. I still don't know how I did it.)

FF7's materia nonsense never did it for me because I could just level up a meteria with one character and give ALL those spells to another character. I never feel like I earned anything in FF8. There is something lost when you sit there and draw magic from an enemy for 20 turns without attacking it. As badass as Lionheart was, it was super unfair.

I liked 10. But the lack of world map bothered me for some reason. I also hold the fact that FF10-2 exists against the original. Although the sphere grid was super exploitable and the ultimate weapons were super broken, FF10 was still pretty fun.

My favorite two FF games were probably 6 and 9. The characters had unique abilities. There were parts of the main storyline that were legitimately difficult without ridiculous grinding.

I guess I am more in tune with the more classic turn based gameplay. After being supremely disappointed by FF11 being an MMO and FF12 ruining fun, I played Dragon Quest 8. That game was a refreshing return to the classic RPG and I really enjoyed it. I actually went back and played some of the old Dragon Warriors after that.

Only if you buy the big black suspenders

Mogwai are we teaming? Don't be a *****
COGWAI

thumbswayup

Smash Master
/ignores MMO talk

FF10 is a not particularly good game, but an entertaining 20 hour long CG movie for those of us who get off on pretty graphics. The gameplay felt too easy once I learned to exploit the sphere grid, but whatever, I'm not gonna front and pretend I didn't really like the music and shiny graphics of 10, which is weird because I typically think of myself as only liking games for gameplay. I still don't really know why I like FF4, but for w/e reasons it's stuck as my favorite (probably nostalgia). FF6 was very good and struck me as a much more rewarding experience than FF7, which I found very average and unexciting (probably because I played it a good 4-5 years after it first came out). FF3/FF5 were too easy to exploit with the job systems, but I'm a grinding and twinking ***** sometimes so I don't regret playing either, although I doubt I'll ever give either a second play through. FF1 is **** because it has **** that consistently just outright kills your party and you can't ever cast spells because you get so few. This sounds like sarcasm, but it's not, I ****ing love FF1 and how it legitimately scares the crap out of me as I'm trying to get out of a dungeon to save my progress. never played FF2/FF8/FF9/FF11/FF12.
You forgot to mention how amazing Blitzball was.

or "Brett Ratner tied a paraplegic girl to a tree and ****ed her." true story
Wait, what!??!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
well, I think the idea of blitzball is just really cool and that sucks you into it. I think the game dynamics for blitzball were sorta meh, but as with FFX on the whole, something about the setting and concept makes the otherwise mediocre gameplay feel really fun.

Re: Cogwai: sorry Cog, Scar's being a flaky **** about this weekend and as such, I don't know who's gonna be in my car and in need of a teammate. Right now, there's a 60% chance of Cogwai happening, as Scar is leaning towards being an idiot and traveling to Florida this weekend instead of going to tournies less than 5172983473892 hours away, in which case I think I'll only have Eggm and Swift in my car and they will be teaming together = Mogwai has no teammate.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
well, I think the idea of blitzball is just really cool and that sucks you into it. I think the game dynamics for blitzball were sorta meh, but as with FFX on the whole, something about the setting and concept makes the otherwise mediocre gameplay feel really fun.

Re: Cogwai: sorry Cog, Scar's being a flaky **** about this weekend and as such, I don't know who's gonna be in my car and in need of a teammate. Right now, there's a 60% chance of Cogwai happening, as Scar is leaning towards being an idiot and traveling to Florida this weekend instead of going to tournies less than 5172983473892 hours away, in which case I think I'll only have Eggm and Swift in my car and they will be teaming together = Mogwai has no teammate.
It's okay, I see how it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUWgE0EVQ9c

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
This post happened this morning.

so hang on who is picking me up at the aiirport and who can drop me back off there

my details are as follows

Fri 2-Oct-09

Orlando (MCO)
Arrive 9:42 pm

Sun 4-Oct-09

Orlando (MCO)
Depart 3:53 pm

if i have housing and my fares are still as low as they were this morning (215 round trip what what) then i'll do it sure
Cogwai should happen.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I didn't like how in FF5/7/8/12 all the characters were pretty much the same gameplay-wise (10 as well depending on how much you trained :p). I need to replay 9 though since it was my first game ever and I don't remember a thing about it.

I never got the point of Blitzball..

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I never got into blitzball myself.

I agree with 10 being pretty and the supporting characters being very interesting. I think 10 is overrated and underrated at the exact same time.

Mogwai-I TOTALLY agree with you with one. It's one of my favorites too. Its sooooooo hard.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Question: How the heck do you know to use the Floater in the middle of the freaking desert? I couldn't find anyone that told me and was very sad that I had to cheat (gamefaqs) to find out.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Yeah I probably just missed that guy.. Went through the game with 4 Monks and beat the **** out of everyone before they could touch me lmao

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Yeah I use generic names for everything lol.
It wasn't easy. 99 Heals stops working near the end, so you have to get lucky.

But so worth it every single attack does the same as a Nuke

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
yea, g. master is easily the best offensive character in the end game.

my first party was fighter, red mage, black belt, black mage, which was pretty good, but my last few playthroughs have all had thieves because Thief -> Ninja is probably the best upgrade in that game. And being able to successfully run away is really good.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I never understood why people would use Red Mage. Don't they become mediocre in the endgame? I'd rather go with extremely specialized characters.

Edit: I guess to heal party outside of battle?

Aesir

Smash Master
Aion is largely modeled after WoW. There's no quest to lose all your levels, and leveling is largely quest-based, although there are a bit fewer quests than WoW has. The profession/crafting system even resembles WoW's. NCSoft really tried hard to make a Western style MMO with Aion, and they did a good job of it.
There isn't one....Yet.

They never include it within the first release of the game.

For the all the Aion talk, give it a month, hell a few months. It'll get old and boring real fast.

Final Fantasy 4 is incredible. Agreed.

I think FF 6 is good but its not one of the best.

I didnt go complete crazy on FF8. As long as i get the lion heart....im happy. lol

(im starting a file right now....)
If you think 8 is better then 6 something is VERY wrong with you.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I never understood why people would use Red Mage. Don't they become mediocre in the endgame? I'd rather go with extremely specialized characters.

Edit: I guess to heal party outside of battle?
well on first playthrough, I didn't really know what he was like endgame. but yea, he's easily the worst endgame character, you just use him for buffs and heals and a strictly-worse-than-fighter attack.

he's a monster up until the fire orb though.

In Dragon Warrior 1 you could put the final boss to sleep. Discuss.
Dragon Warrior was so ****. My dad has all the dungeons mapped out on graph paper.

And putting the end boss to sleep is totally fair, he'd do it to you if he could. If you had more than 1 character in your party, it might've been abusive, but as it is, it seems fair to me. I think the only reason other games require bosses to be almost completely status immune is the fact that you have 2-5 dudes ready to gangbang them in their moment of weakness or buff each other in the downtime.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Dragon Warrior was so ****. My dad has all the dungeons mapped out on graph paper.

And putting the end boss to sleep is totally fair, he'd do it to you if he could. If you had more than 1 character in your party, it might've been abusive, but as it is, it seems fair to me. I think the only reason other games require bosses to be almost completely status immune is the fact that you have 2-5 dudes ready to gangbang them in their moment of weakness or buff each other in the downtime.
My dad didn't go that far be he played the NES ones. I remember he was like pretty high level(which was like 20 in that game) and he would run into a slime and he would call them an "Insignificant fool" and like vanquish the **** out of it. I still say that in my head when I fight lower level enemies in RPG's I play.

<3 Dad
<3 Dragon Warrior

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
=D Nice! Brawl+ ftw. Go to Poffy's tournament, it has Brawl+.

Lets do this ****.
-DD
Oooh? **** man, but I just had to drop the 20 dollars I made on a ****ing parking ticket. Lame *** signs not being correctly labeled.

------

So yeah, I never remember my early Final Fantasy's right. in terms of pre-7, I played the JP III (the DS one) and I played a little of one of the ones with the attack bars (They fill up and you pound a command fast). I thought they were pretty good, from what I saw. I don't wanna look at 7 because too many people go "ZOMG CLOUD."

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
now that I'm thinking about it, a lot of my beef with FF7 is that I didn't like any of the characters. I mean, I guess I sorta liked Tifa, Cid, and Red, but I didn't really latch onto any of them and I didn't like Cloud, Aeris or Barret at all.

oh, and everyone would talk about how much of a badass Sephi was, but he turned out to just be a little whiny momma's boy.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I love how you didn't even mention Cait Sith or Yuffie. Hahahaha. I liked most of the non playable characters Sepheroth, Rufus, the turks were all pretty cool. But I agree that the playable characters were kind of boring. I also don't like steampunk.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I love how you didn't even mention Cait Sith or Yuffie. Hahahaha. I liked most of the non playable characters Sepheroth, Rufus, the turks were all pretty cool. But I agree that the playable characters were kind of boring. I also don't like steampunk.
Well, I HATED Cait Sith and Yuffie and was completely indifferent on Vincent.

And I despise the way that Sephiroth got less and less badass to me throughout the game. You go into that first building and there's blood EVERYWHERE and you are just like, "OMFG, Sephiroth is one scary mother****er!" Then he just get progressively less horrifying and more just creepy and weird.

Top Bottom