• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I was around when Nesskid, Locke, Aesir, JV, Cort, Mike, Silas, Khaly, V, Nus, Mike $, milktea, and everyone in CT all went to tournaments. This is back in the day when PC and Cort used to win every tournament and Mike would get second-third. I was only there for the beginning of the fall of Melee though. The ending of its prime.

and believe me, that was definitely better than now. Now its like "Hey guys, I want to play!" and people are like "yeah? come over. I'm too lazy to go to you." When back then anyone would travel and people wanted to PLAY. Like, Alex used to DRIVE to PLAY PEOPLE back a year or so ago.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Also, the melee community has grown up a bit. Many of us have graduated college. Some are even married(<3 Cog). I work 5 days a week and my free time is very valuable to me. I have stuff like soccer, fitness, girlfriend and general relaxation to fit in.

Point being, random weekday smashfests aren't failing just because melee is past its prime. In general the average player has grown up and has more responsibilities to be able to play a video game an hour away on a tuesday night.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Also, the melee community has grown up a bit. Many of us have graduated college. Some are even married(<3 Cog). I work 5 days a week and my free time is very valuable to me. I have stuff like soccer, fitness, girlfriend and general relaxation to fit in.

Point being, random weekday smashfests aren't failing just because melee is past its prime. In general the average player has grown up and has more responsibilities to be able to play a video game an hour away on a tuesday night.
this is a grood point. if my girlfriend lived even remotely close to me, I don't think I'd ever travel over 20 minutes to play smash. as it is though, it's just that between work, gym, and cooking for myself, I typically am not free until 7:30/8:00ish, at which point, traveling even a little far isn't an option. So in order to go 40+ minutes away, I usually have to skip the gym, eat at subway and lose the rest of my night, which is bad cause once I start getting off of my good habits, I have trouble getting back into them.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master

Yeah, this.
I mean it now takes me close to an hour to get home, which means if I go straight home I get home around 6:30 (I'm working 10 hour days still :dizzy:) and that's not if I have to do things like buy groceries or whatever. Life is very full and when we get any down time (I did tell you guys the wife is in Film (Grad) School now, right? She's already completely owning me in film knowledge lulz) we try to fill it with interesting stuff. Playing smash on weekends is hard enough to squeeze in, weekdays are like nigh impossible.
But POF did tell me to grow up and get a life, so I'm confused.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Yeah, that never happened lol.

Edit: Zoso, get me into Melee backroom please. :D

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
haha, I know...I never use him in a match that means something...but he is fun to use and is a great warm up for my fingers to get that tech skill going. :) Also, when I switch to Marth it feels soooooo good. :)

Thumbswayup-The only pictures that you have posted that have been cool are

Game and watch
Laughing Octopus (Because they are both different and unique)

The joker pictures are redundant because i've seen like 40 million dumb teenagers think they are cool by posting vids up on youtube about the Dark Knight. People really need to get over that movie and just move on. Someone said to me that they thought it was better than The Godfather. People are getting dumber and dumber these days. Before you know it we'll have people thinking that the second Omen should be remade and Steven Segal should release another movie.

Link and Zelda? People dress up as them every year I am sure. Nothing special there.

Dressing up as video game characters does not get you laid. I think that its extremely Asian and nerd if you dress up like a video game character and actually put TIME into it. Jake dresses up like Snake but his wardrobe takes like a second to put on. Its one thing to put something quick on...but another to put time into it. Lawls.
Proof you weren't here during the best of times: One this is your second post and you're talking about Brawl. The most fun of times was like a year or two before that.

Also, you never posted about the rep system so therefore you couldn't have possibly fathomed the fun of this thread.

/wins

In conclusion, I miss the rep system dearly.

Aesir

Smash Master
So I realized something yesterday; The Republican Coalition is the most ****ed up coalition ever. A bunch of Poor Jesus Freaks and Big Business tycoons.

The only thing they have in common is they're white.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
There's a ton of reasons why I only said a few... I miss the rep system so bad.

I was like 1 ****ing day away from having the full amount of bars for rep. Fuucking Nite got it before me lol.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
..ouch.
._.;

Watching that video makes me want to ask:
Everytime Pak got hit by Falcon's NAir, couldn't it have been a Knee instead? It just seemed like it could have, but I suck so who knows what I'm talking about.

There's a ton of reasons why I only said a few... I miss the rep system so bad.

I was like 1 ****ing day away from having the full amount of bars for rep. Fuucking Nite got it before me lol.
I was a lurker for the rep system. :D!

But uh, Poffy didn't mention real important stuff like updates to the player-finder.

-DD

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! I'm back from the dead. How are things over here? Can't talk too much right now, but I thought I'd post.

To be honest, I'm not sure what's "in" right now, but I just happened to learn about the Brawl+ hype and hacked up my SSBB game.

Lemme know what's going on, I've got little to do out here, and I wanna Smash stuff up!

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Garrett was around back in "the day."

I think for his first post in the player finder, he threw up on his keyboard and it came out as some diatribe about how FFVII is overrated and VIII is way better.

Cort's response was, "FFVIII was the first RPG I ever didn't finish because of how awful it was."

Some things never change...

Really though, Garrett pretty much got along with everybody back in the '07 days. I kind of miss them.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Pretty sure THIS http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3153459&postcount=1

is my second post. :)

LOL

I started getting mad when Brawl came out pretty much.

My first tournament was the 9esticle. Amazing tournament.

Jam, JV, Silas, Phish, Sol, budai, Ky, PC Chris, (seeing him play in his prime when I was a complete scrub was soooo cool at the time lol) Aesir, (we hated each other at first, now we are bff) spawn (wanted to mm mad scrubs that tournament haha) milktea when she ***** me.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvA8M1UBUH4&feature=channel_page

and I actually took off one stock off of Cort the first time I played him. Than he four stocked me the next match. I was Falco.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Hey guys! I'm back from the dead. How are things over here? Can't talk too much right now, but I thought I'd post.

To be honest, I'm not sure what's "in" right now, but I just happened to learn about the Brawl+ hype and hacked up my SSBB game.

Lemme know what's going on, I've got little to do out here, and I wanna Smash stuff up!
=D Nice! Brawl+ ftw. Go to Poffy's tournament, it has Brawl+.

So who wants to recreate this dance with me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tc6Og1wjgM
Lets do this ****.
-DD

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Final Fantasy 8 is arguably one of the greatest games of all time IMO.

Its so underrated it's not even funny.
Of the ones I have played, Final Fantasy 8 is my least favorite next to 12. The battle system was somewhat innovative but it wasn't fun at all (same complaint with 12). Drawing magic and junctioning it was probably the least fun I have ever had in a video game. The way Guardian Forces's worked was ********. Having enemies level with you was kind of silly imo.

I do have to say that the card game in 8 was badass.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Of the ones I have played, Final Fantasy 8 is my least favorite next to 12. The battle system was somewhat innovative but it wasn't fun at all (same complaint with 12). Drawing magic and junctioning it was probably the least fun I have ever had in a video game. The way Guardian Forces's worked was ********. Having enemies level with you was kind of silly imo.

I do have to say that the card game in 8 was badass.
9's card game was better. 11's was even more better, until everyone stopped playing it.

Also, I'm downloading Aion right now. Is anyone else playing it?
-DD

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
I thought that the Junction system was incredible. The fact that you used magic to enhance your strength, vitality, evasion, etc was awesome. It made you be more cautious of always using the same spells ALL the time because it would decrease your defense or whatever the case may be. That is one of the key problems in Final Fantasy....anytime you run into a typical battle on the world map you just go, "LOL, I have ultima or fire3 all! Die!" In 8 you couldn't spam spells and easily get through battles in two seconds. The same applied for GF's....the more you used them the quicker they came out....but other GF's would come out slower if you did not use them and balance your attacks out well. In terms of enemies leveling up with you this destroyed one of the key traditions of FF and I liked this. "Go run around and level up" basically meant more....you had to have good spells and GF levels and abilities to prepare for upcomming fights. Eight was extremely different than any other Final Fantasy IMO. It's extremely unique compared to that of most RPG's.

The draw system was BAD AT FIRST but in the second disc it's not so bad. The idea of taking the GF from the bosses was very different. I also liked that you could cast a spell even if it was not in your inventory.

God, talking about this has made me want to start up a file. I'm doing that tonight.

Sleepy, you should too. :)

PS-Lion Heart is the best limit break in any Final Fantasy. Period. Omni Slash is second.

Top Bottom