• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Evannn

I dunno if you use thunderbird or outlook, but do you know how to hook those up to your own WPI account? I don't want to keep forgetting mine...
-DD

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Yeah I'm mad cool and that's all you need to know.

Though yeah life and stuff is beast-moding me at the moment (work is making me crazy and tired). I've been keeping up with this thread for the most part at least!
Yo, if you wanna play again tonight, I should be able to play for like 3-4 hours between 6 and 11. I've still got a good bit of stuff to do before leaving for Genesis, but I'd still love to play and try to figure out how to not get fsmash *****... T_T

The writers of Transformers 2 were paid $8 million.

My day has been ruined.
thumbs, I love you, but stop *****ing about Transformers 2, pl0x. it's unbecoming of you to show such malice.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Precisely why the first one was such an enjoyable surprise. And then they go and ruin almost everything possible in the second. They didn't just make a disappointing movie, they made a bad movie. One that gets worse everytime I think about it.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I still honestly don't know what you saw in the first one. I found it a cinematic abortion filled with a bunch of uninteresting caricatures taking up 90% of the screen time while I sat there wishing I could just see more of Optimus Prime ****ing Decepticons up. Hence my lack of desire to see this one.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
least we can say it looked beautiful.

Im getting it on blu ray when it comes out.

i never expect anything from actions movies, just how well choreographed fights are and how well stunts are executed. Thats why I adore jackie chan and like almost every movie hes done cuz hes like a 10/10 on that scale. effin 1337

with transformers I look at the CGI and its intricacies in replace of actual stunts(jumping megan fox dosent count as a stunt haha)

edit:
**** spoiler
yea wes good point, optimus was like MIA for tooooooooo long

thumbswayup

Smash Master
What was your mindset when you entered the theater before it started? You probably had high hopes or at least some kind of expectation. Not me, I walked in there thinking it'd be the biggest pile of **** ever (due to my hatred of Bay) and couldn't believe it when I actually enjoyed nearly the entire film. It had some great humor and some truly kickass moments. I've seen it three times, and upon my later viewings I realized it wasn't as good as I originally thought. Still good though, and I would definitely still recommend it to people.

But the sequel.... let's just say you're lucky you haven't had the misfortune of seeing it yet.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Transformers II definitely had its ups and downs.

Cons-

-It wasn't funny.....like at all.
-Both Optimus and the decepticons were too MIA at certain points in the movie. The part where Sam had to go talk to that old Decepticon and went on that whole journey....you didn't see any decepticon for like thirty minutes.
-It was way too long for a plot that was so bad.
-The voices for all decepticons were horrible.They all sounded the same.

Pros-

-The fight scenes were amazing.
-It got better as the movie went on.
-Optimus Prime :)

I thought it was meh. Nothing HORRIBLE but certainly not anything noteworthy.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Jon Tutorro is amazing in everything he is in.

He was even in an episode of Monk and was phenomenal.

Edit: TWO-FER with the following video I get to piss off Cog AND make fun of Transformers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMVAc0pgnOw
you son of a *****.

I told you guys I made 3 charts and made checkmarks when I saw it right? 41 ********, 20 offensive and 8 cool moments. Eight.

Plus side: I now say
I've died and gone to Robot Heaven
ALOT thanks to TF2

thumbswayup

Smash Master
transformers 2 was the ****. *** the elitists. if ur expecting a movie outside of beast fight scenes and prettiness, dont go see a movie about robots fighting each other. srsly
Explain then why half the ****ing movie is filled with completely inconsequential scenes that have nothing interesting or funny about them. Or why there are so many plot holes, idiotic twists, and offensive robots that do nothing but detract from the experience. EXPLAIN STILL why the majority of the movie doesn't include your "beast fight scenes".

thumbswayup

Smash Master
"So let's focus on those who seriously believe "Transformers" is one of the year's best films. Are these people wrong? Yes. They are wrong. I am fond of the story I tell about Gene Siskel. When a so-called film critic defended a questionable review by saying, "after all, it's opinion," Gene told him: "There is a point when a personal opinion shades off into an error of fact. When you say 'The Valachi Papers' is a better film than 'The Godfather,' you are wrong." Quite true. We should respect differing opinions up to certain point, and then it's time for the wise to blow the whistle. Sir, not only do I differ with what you say, but I would certainly not fight to the death for your right to say it. Not me. You have to pick your fights.

What I believe is that all clear-minded people should remain two things throughout their lifetimes: Curious and teachable. If someone I respect tells me I must take a closer look at the films of Abbas Kiarostami, I will take that seriously. If someone says the kung-fu movies of the 1970s, which I used for our old Dog of the Week segments, deserve serious consideration, I will listen. I will try to do what Pauline Kael said she did: Take everything you are, and all the films you've seen, into the theater. See the film, and decide if anything has changed. The older you are and the more films you've seen, the more you take into the theater. When I had been a film critic for ten minutes, I treated Doris Day as a target for cheap shots. I have learned enough to say today that the woman was remarkably gifted.

Those who think "Transformers" is a great or even a good film are, may I tactfully suggest, not sufficiently evolved. Film by film, I hope they climb a personal ladder into the realm of better films, until their standards improve. Those people contain multitudes. They deserve films that refresh the parts others do not reach. They don't need to spend a lifetime with the water only up to their toes."

-Roger Ebert

The rest of that blog can be found here

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/07/i_am_a_brainiac.html

I suggest people read it to get a better idea of all this since he delves into everything we've been discussing and more.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I like TF2 I don't give a **** what everyone else thinks lol. It's all about Megan Fox and the robot fights.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
"So let's focus on those who seriously believe "Transformers" is one of the year's best films. Are these people wrong? Yes. They are wrong. I am fond of the story I tell about Gene Siskel. When a so-called film critic defended a questionable review by saying, "after all, it's opinion," Gene told him: "There is a point when a personal opinion shades off into an error of fact. When you say 'The Valachi Papers' is a better film than 'The Godfather,' you are wrong." Quite true. We should respect differing opinions up to certain point, and then it's time for the wise to blow the whistle. Sir, not only do I differ with what you say, but I would certainly not fight to the death for your right to say it. Not me. You have to pick your fights.

What I believe is that all clear-minded people should remain two things throughout their lifetimes: Curious and teachable. If someone I respect tells me I must take a closer look at the films of Abbas Kiarostami, I will take that seriously. If someone says the kung-fu movies of the 1970s, which I used for our old Dog of the Week segments, deserve serious consideration, I will listen. I will try to do what Pauline Kael said she did: Take everything you are, and all the films you've seen, into the theater. See the film, and decide if anything has changed. The older you are and the more films you've seen, the more you take into the theater. When I had been a film critic for ten minutes, I treated Doris Day as a target for cheap shots. I have learned enough to say today that the woman was remarkably gifted.

Those who think "Transformers" is a great or even a good film are, may I tactfully suggest, not sufficiently evolved. Film by film, I hope they climb a personal ladder into the realm of better films, until their standards improve. Those people contain multitudes. They deserve films that refresh the parts others do not reach. They don't need to spend a lifetime with the water only up to their toes."

-Roger Ebert

The rest of that blog can be found here

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/07/i_am_a_brainiac.html

I suggest people read it to get a better idea of all this since he delves into everything we've been discussing and more.
Gene Siskel was the ****ing MAN.

I like TF2 I don't give a **** what everyone else thinks lol. It's all about Megan Fox and the robot fights.
Those who think "Transformers" is a great or even a good film are, may I tactfully suggest, not sufficiently evolved.
No offense Spawn but if the best you can come up with is sex (completely one-sided, voyeuristic sex at that) and violence, then I don't think Ebert's far off.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
movies, like music and all other forms of entertainment, are a matter of opinion. there are going to be ppl who like it and ppl who dont, regardless of what others or a majority of ppl may think. only elitists and douchebags impose their opinions onto others. its cool to like somethin, its cool to not and explain why, but its not cool to call ppl "under evolved" or w/e because they find something good/bad that you dont.

pockyD

Smash Legend
how is this transformers thing still going on

you didn't like it, get over it - it's been like 3 weeks now and you just keep spitting up the same information // bringing it up for no reason

on the subject, i don't see why you had expectations for the second one if you didn't have any for the first one (for that matter, i don't see how you wouldn't like the second one if you actually liked the first one)

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Ebert states in that blog that he doesn't want to take away any enjoyment anyone gets from the film, but to say it is good, great or one of the greatest is simply wrong.
favorite =/= good.

Pocky it's kind of a fascinating subject and becoming a cultural talking point.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Are...are you serious?
yeah

Ebert states in that blog that he doesn't want to take away any enjoyment anyone gets from the film, but to say it is good, great or one of the greatest is simply wrong.
favorite =/= good.

Pocky it's kind of a fascinating subject and becoming a cultural talking point.
i haven't heard ANYONE consider it a 'good' movie; like i've said many a time, people aren't watching it with the expectation that it will be remembered for decades to come

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Transformers I was amazing. Transformers II is overrated. End of discussion.

I agree w trademark to some extent but i also agree w thumbs too.

I think some people just buy into film and honestly have no idea what they are talking about or what it takes to make a good movie.

and then there are some people who think they know everything about film (cog and thumbs, no offence) and really try to force their strong opinions on everyone else.

There are two forms of value in everything

Art and contribution
Entertainment

So called "eltists" are vastly influnced by the artistic view on something. "What does this bring to the table? How is it different from anything i've ever seen? Is it well scripted and thought out? Is the artist trying to say something here to society? Does this musical piece reach out to people as a cry for help? Does this guitar solo say something? Is this shoe company trying out something different?"

While the entertainment looker is looking for

"Did i laugh my *** off? Does this fit me right? Did this spark memories? Is this fun? Should I make this my ringtone!?" Is the online connectivity going to be better on ps3? or Xbox360?"

Get the point?

Who cares.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i really just don't see how Transformers 2 can be overrated/disappointing when it was never well-rated and did not carry any real expectations

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer

I think some people just buy into film and honestly have no idea what they are talking about or what it takes to make a good movie.

and then there are some people who think they know everything about film (cog and thumbs, no offence) and really try to force their strong opinions on everyone else.

Art and contribution
Entertainment

So called "eltists" are vastly influnced by the artistic view on something. "What does this bring to the table? How is it different from anything i've ever seen? Is it well scripted and thought out? Is the artist trying to say something here to society? Does this musical piece reach out to people as a cry for help? Does this guitar solo say something? Is this shoe company trying out something different?"

"Did i laugh my *** off? Does this fit me right? Did this spark memories? Is this fun? Should I make this my ringtone!?" Is the online connectivity going to be better on ps3? or Xbox360?"

Get the point?

Who cares.
Good post. I like a movie if it entertains me when I watch it.

I would call a movie GOOD if it lasts with me after I walk out of the theater.

There are plenty of movies which I don't like which I would consider good and others that I do like but know they are terrible.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
yeah

i haven't heard ANYONE consider it a 'good' movie; like i've said many a time, people aren't watching it with the expectation that it will be remembered for decades to come
via boxofficemojo:
As: 814 48.7%
Bs: 356 21.3%
Cs: 190 11.4%
Ds: 94 5.6%
Fs: 217 13.0%

I've seen better ratings for it on other site's polls too.

Art and contribution
Entertainment

Get the point?

Who cares.
Actually.... a good post...

But:
I do know everything about movies.

and it's VERY possible to marry those 2 (Art and contribution & Entertainment), and I wish every movie tried to do so. A good example would be Wall E

pockyD

Smash Legend
via boxofficemojo:
As: 814 48.7%
Bs: 356 21.3%
Cs: 190 11.4%
Ds: 94 5.6%
Fs: 217 13.0%

I've seen better ratings for it on other site's polls too.
i never heard of that site before, but look at some of the other films that have an average grade of B (like the middle 300 movies out of 500) and you'll see that those grades are pretty clearly meaningless

If your movie is just trying to entertain and you fail at even that, what does that say about your movie?
I was entertained, as were many people

Top Bottom