• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

pockyD

Smash Legend
mario games have almost never given me the feeling of 'wow i'm so awesome that i figured that one out' (except maybe the one in super mario world forest of illusion that had two end gates); it's just supposed to be simple cartoonish mindless fun

if you're disappointed with zelda, that's a different story, but i thought that twilight princess was pretty cool all around

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
maybe I just sucked at Mario games before 64, but actually beating them used to be a challenge to me. I suppose there wasn't a whole lot of thinking involved, but you needed some slick execution at parts to get by. And I suppose you still get that experience with a few of the comets in MG, but as I'm thinking about it, the fact that you don't need to do those comets to beat the game detracts from it for me for some inexplicable reason.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I'm with Mog on this. If a game in a franchise that's known to be fun AND challenging gives you a new game that's only fun and not very challenging, then yes, it certainly detracts from the experience. Look at Sunshine, that game was hella fun and very difficult at times. Some of those levels took me hours upon hours of trial and error. Remember the platforms in the sea area with Yoshi? **** took crazy timing. The bosses were fun and unique and the game was always interesting.

I can't speak for Galaxy though, since I only played an hour of it, which was somewhere around the middle of the game. I just immediately recognized it as fun and not challenging, and while it was somewhat enjoyable I never went back to play it more.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I get what Mogwai is saying. Beating an easy game doesn't really feel like an accomplishment. Hell, even getting all the stars in Galaxy didn't feel like an impressive accomplishment. Even hard games are pretty forgiving. Even difficult games like DMC 3, and Ninja Gaiden, are infinitely forgiving when you die. When I beat Contra 4 on hard without a continue, I felt more satisfied then spending the total amount of time getting 120 stars in galaxy twice.

Modern games don't punish you. I understand you can't ask a player to beat a game in one run through, but don't put a checkpoint around every corner. I think that is why I like fighting and puzzle games so much. Your challenge is determined by your (human)opponent rather than the game itself.

/rant

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Well, I got all the shines in Sunshine, and that was extremely hard. You had to replay lots of levels to get some of them. So, I found the replay value very high.

Pakman you actually beat DMC 3?!?!!?! HOW, I gave up after 52534252246 tries on Mission 20 (whichever one it was that had you fight every boss in the game in succession). Most frustrating thing in any game I've ever played.

noodles

Smash Champion
I got all the stars in Mario Galaxy
With Mario and Luigi. Come on how could I not play through with Luigi.
and there were one or two pretty tough levels.

I forgot about that one. I beat it my first run through only using the mbuster. It was quite difficult.
i just read this 0_o

i havent beaten it yet >__<

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Well, I got all the shines in Sunshine, and that was extremely hard. You had to replay lots of levels to get some of them. So, I found the replay value very high.

Pakman you actually beat DMC 3?!?!!?! HOW, I gave up after 52534252246 tries on Mission 20 (whichever one it was that had you fight every boss in the game in succession). Most frustrating thing in any game I've ever played.
Yeah DMC 3 wasn't too tough after you get a feel for how the dodging works. Same with Ninja Gaiden. You can dash and roll like right in the middle of your attacks. You just gotta be aware of what attacks are coming your way.

I don't think I finished it on Hard though. That ***** with the electric bats was ****** me and then some shinier game came out and stole my attention... I need to play DMC 3 again.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon

>_> DMC3 was fun.

Golden Sun DS just looks like a remake of the first one to me.

The New Metroid actually looks like a metroid game I want to sit down and play for more than an hour.

The...I JUST WANT MONSTER HUNTER GOD****IT.
-DD

pockyD

Smash Legend
your opinion doesn't matter if you only played an hour of the game

but yeah, i agree that the 'unlimited tries' type thing is much of what keeps modern games from being 'challenging'

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Halol Single Play Legendary Formula:

try each individual encounter until you get it right
acquire checkpoint as a reward for getting lucky on the 50-somethingth try (playing careful is gay, **** that)
repeat the above two steps until you beat the level
see incomprehensible cut scenes
repeat the above four steps until you beat the game
see some more stupid cut scenes, decide it's gay and play online
profit?

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
ty very much mogwai :D

Tatsunoko vs Capcom's USA release is going to have 5 new characters and online play, but at the cost of one character.

And unfortunately, that character isn't Karas ;_;

I think it was that fat genie guy, but I'm not 100% sure on that..

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Some of those levels took me hours upon hours of trial and error.
Why the hell would you/anyone find this fun?

Maybe it's just my personality or age or whatever but I just don't have the desire or time to play hours and hours and hours of just any game (esp for completionist sake). I can't see how I could possibly derive any enjoyment from playing the same frustrating DMC mission 100 times in a row. Sure you get a sense of accomplishment when you finally beat it, but that's only because you're finally done with wasting your time giving yourself a ****ing stroke losing over and over.

WATCH WATCH WATCH
http://e3.g4tv.com/videos/38637/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Trailer-Presentation-at-E3-09/
skip to 4:25

better than anything in the prequels

noodles

Smash Champion
my phones not charged so i dont have access to any numbers >__< i think i still have yours from a month ago when i asked you though ill check my pm box thing

Budai578

Smash Apprentice
I know this was a while ago but...

27/30 on the 90s games
19/30 on the 80s

There was 1 more on each of them I should have gotten, but just blanked.

Get at me.

Also, that Star Wars video was awesome.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Um they're releasing a teenage mutant ninja turltes smash brothers game. Well, it's called "smash up" and some of the smash developers worked on it. and it's a 4 player brawler with weird interactive stages. and it's smash brothers. wtf?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
your opinion doesn't matter if you only played an hour of the game

but yeah, i agree that the 'unlimited tries' type thing is much of what keeps modern games from being 'challenging'
>.> I didn't say it was bad, I just didn't like how it felt to me. And I did play through most of them, but I couldn't play it for more than an hour at a time, and I never really beat it...I just got sick of constant back tracking.

Um they're releasing a teenage mutant ninja turltes smash brothers game. Well, it's called "smash up" and some of the smash developers worked on it. and it's a 4 player brawler with weird interactive stages. and it's smash brothers. wtf?
Are they people from Melee or people from Brawl who worked on it?
-DD

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Are they people from Melee or people from Brawl who worked on it?
-DD
No idea. I do know the graphics look like they're from sega cd or something

microsoft crapped all on nintendo/sony in the motion sensor department.

gg wii it was good while it lasted
yeah cause fat jocks who play halo all day are going to want to jump around like idiots kicking their lamps over

noodles

Smash Champion
the motion stuff isnt to attract gamers. the wii shows that and made alot of money so now microsoft/sony are trying to get more customers like soccer moms or something.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Why would soccer moms pay for a 360 or PS3 when they either A) already own a Wii or B) could buy a Wii for much cheaper than either one of those?

Fox is dumb I hate him.

But playing as him is fun. Even though I'm bad.

Top Bottom