• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
True, comps will jab out of anything so you know if your hitstun is good enough.

I feel like the 2 face thing definitely should have been left for a sequel but I do like the position it put Bats in at the end (hunted, the bad guy).
I liked Christian Bale but his Batman needs to lose the voice. Or just tone it down.
It's hard to compare him to the rest of the cast, though, because they were all fantastic: Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllexplode, of course Ledger...

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Work ***** my interwebz time. T_T

I miss spamming.

DD, let's hang out sometime.

I got my car fixed.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
True, comps will jab out of anything so you know if your hitstun is good enough.

I feel like the 2 face thing definitely should have been left for a sequel but I do like the position it put Bats in at the end (hunted, the bad guy).
I liked Christian Bale but his Batman needs to lose the voice. Or just tone it down.
It's hard to compare him to the rest of the cast, though, because they were all fantastic: Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllexplode, of course Ledger...
I wouldn't say Maggie Gyllenhaal was fantastic... I mean, seriously, there's no depth to that role in the movie, it's like saying that Joe Bloe did a fantastic job with drugged out thug 3 in <Generic Action Movie 2>...

anyway, you can set up Batman as the bad guy being hunted without rushing the resolution of one of the best Batman villains. Not only is Two Face really interesting, but they also had a fantastic actor for the role, developed him well and he fits unbelievably well in their Gotham.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
edit: YES YOU SHOULD GIVE IT A TRY
lol I will

Rashomon is so amazing. It's in my top 10.
**** right <3 it blew me away. I never imagined it would be that good.

People like that just don't take movies seriously. I had a big conversation with a friend of mine about this same exact thing and that's what it came down to. He just wanted to escape and be entertained by a movie. The second something deep or thought provoking etc happened he switched off.
I consider Miami Vice an interesting failure. Makes me angry how good it could have been, though.
Yeah, I keep forgetting that most people don't view films like you and I do. Since I'm an aspiring filmmaker, I'm constantly looking at ALL the elements in a film. I'm even looking at technique and how the movie was shot while I'm watching it. I couldn't STAND how Miami Vice or Quantum of Solace was filmed. Shaky cam really annoys me. Only some films have done it right.

Interesting failure lol. Miami Vice was the greatest film disappointment of my young life (at the time). I'd like to shake the hand of the man that made the trailer to the movie because he did the impossible, he made Miami Vice look amazing (watch the trailer again, it's a fantastic trailer). He must have been like, "oh god this movie is terrible. How the hell am I gonna make this **** look entertaining" and took the best two minutes of the film and threw some Linkin Park Jay Z music in there to make it bearable. ****ing genius. Since my friend and I had recently seen Heat and loved it, we were thrilled to see how amazing Michael Mann's next film would be. Couldn't have been more shocked at the awfulness of everything in Vice. I really wish I could have understood half of what Gong Li was saying.

And incidentally, Miami Vice is the first of three films (all coming out one year after the other) that taught me to NEVER expect greatness from a film when I go see it, to keep my expectations minimal as to not be heartbroken by the terrible outcome. It's also why I'm not keeping my hopes up for Mann's next film, Public Enemies, which could be just as disastrous. I love the Christian Bale, Johnny Deep, Michael Mann combo, but if it's a let down I think I'll burn Mann alive.

Why don't you like FMJ?
Everything in that movie just felt very weird to me. I didn't like how most of the scenes were set up or executed. Not to mention I HATED almost everyone in that movie. I didn't like how certain characters opinions were stated. I disliked everything that happened when they went to Vietnam. I also found when one of the guys died near the end and the camera zoomed forward really quick and hard on the sniper right when he got shot VERY strange and it kind of ruined his death for me. Oh, and the scene at the end I hated more than anything is when he shoots that Vietnamese girl who had the machine gun and she's on the ground writing in pain speaking Vietnamese non-stop and NOT DYING FOR LIKE TEN MINUTES. HOOOORRIBLE scene. I was definitely yelling for it to end.

Everyone's top 10?
I don't think I could properly order them but it would look something like this:

1. Braveheart

the rest: LOTR, Pulp Fiction, City of God, Saving Private Ryan, Rashomon, The Dark Knight, Hot Fuzz, and from there it's a lot of movies I loved but don't know whether they belong on my top 10 like Sideways, No Country for Old Men, Michael Clayton, Pan's Labyrinth, The Wizard of Oz, The Matrix, Kill Bill, Sin City, Goodfellas, Heat, The Departed, The Godfather, Memento, Match Point, Alien, Singin' in the Rain, Shaun of the Dead, Batman Begins, Spider-man 2, and the list goes on and on and on.

edit- I just listed way more than I thought I would LOL

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
@mogwai
OK maybe not fantastic but certainly very good and I completely disagree, her part had depth. It's not like she was an extra or anything... She had deep feelings for Bruce but promised herself that she wouldn't act on them until he gave up being Batman. Meanwhile her relationship with Dent speaks volumes because he's in some ways the complete opposite of Batman but in others the exact same... maybe mirror image. And then the letter she gives him that really says she chooses Dent... and Alfred burns it... **** dude

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
lol I will

**** right <3 it blew me away. I never imagined it would be that good.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that most people don't view films like you and I do. Since I'm an aspiring filmmaker, I'm constantly looking at ALL the elements in a film. I'm even looking at technique and how the movie was shot while I'm watching it. I couldn't STAND how Miami Vice or Quantum of Solace was filmed. Shaky cam really annoys me. Only some films have done it right.

Interesting failure lol. Miami Vice was the greatest film disappointment of my young life (at the time). I'd like to shake the hand of the man that made the trailer to the movie because he did the impossible, he made Miami Vice look amazing (watch the trailer again, it's a fantastic trailer). He must have been like, "oh god this movie is terrible. How the hell am I gonna make this **** look entertaining" and took the best two minutes of the film and threw some Linkin Park Jay Z music in there to make it bearable. ****ing genius. Since my friend and I had recently seen Heat and loved it, we were thrilled to see how amazing Michael Mann's next film would be. Couldn't have been more shocked at the awfulness of everything in Vice. I really wish I could have understood half of what Gong Li was saying.

And incidentally, Miami Vice is the first of three films (all coming out one year after the other) that taught me to NEVER expect greatness from a film when I go see it, to keep my expectations minimal as to not be heartbroken by the terrible outcome. It's also why I'm not keeping my hopes up for Mann's next film, Public Enemies, which could be just as disastrous. I love the Christian Bale, Johnny Deep, Michael Mann combo, but if it's a let down I think I'll burn Mann alive.
Forgot Billy Crudup too. That movie looks amaaaaazing, and Mann is amazing. Like I said, MV was an interesting failure at least.

Everything in that movie just felt very weird to me. I didn't like how most of the scenes were set up or executed. Not to mention I HATED almost everyone in that movie. I didn't like how certain characters opinions were stated. I disliked everything that happened when they went to Vietnam. I also found when one of the guys died near the end and the camera zoomed forward really quick and hard on the sniper right when he got shot VERY strange and it kind of ruined his death for me. Oh, and the scene at the end I hated more than anything is when he shoots that Vietnamese girl who had the machine gun and she's on the ground writing in pain speaking Vietnamese non-stop and NOT DYING FOR LIKE TEN MINUTES. HOOOORRIBLE scene. I was definitely yelling for it to end.
Sounds like you didn't like it because you didn't like it.

?

??

I don't think I could properly order them but it would look something like this:

1. Braveheart

the rest: LOTR, Pulp Fiction, City of God, Saving Private Ryan, Rashomon, The Dark Knight, Hot Fuzz, and from there it's a lot of movies I loved but don't know whether they belong on my top 10 like Sideways, No Country for Old Men, Michael Clayton, Pan's Labyrinth, The Wizard of Oz, The Matrix, Kill Bill, Sin City, Goodfellas, Heat, The Departed, The Godfather, Memento, Match Point, Alien, Singin' in the Rain, Shaun of the Dead, Batman Begins, Spider-man 2, and the list goes on and on and on.

edit- I just listed way more than I thought I would LOL
You have to pick 10. lol

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Spirited Away
Rashomon
Blue Velvet
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
Punch Drunk Love
Fight Club
Pan's Labyrinth

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Eh some people do feel that way. They consider Dark Knight to be too long, too overwrought, too dour and too full of itself while Iron Man just wanted to have a good time.
I understand their argument but I disagree with it (vehemently)

um http://airfare.travelzoo.com/international-airfare/590858?utm_source=top20_us&utm_medium=email_top20
I liked Iron Man A LOT, I was very impressed with it and had a great time watching it. However, it's not something you can compare with an instant classic like the Dark Knight. Then again, this comparison is flawed to being with due to how different the films were. It's like comparing Die Hard to The Godfather.

I love movies with great endings. The last few minutes of Dark Knight were flawless. No one can bash that. Gary Oldman's last words as you see Batman driving away on the Batpod and the screen goes black at the right moment was spectacular. Holy **** I need to watch that whole movie again.

I wouldn't say Maggie Gyllenhaal was fantastic... I mean, seriously, there's no depth to that role in the movie, it's like saying that Joe Bloe did a fantastic job with drugged out thug 3 in <Generic Action Movie 2>...

anyway, you can set up Batman as the bad guy being hunted without rushing the resolution of one of the best Batman villains. Not only is Two Face really interesting, but they also had a fantastic actor for the role, developed him well and he fits unbelievably well in their Gotham.
It's funny, a friend of mine who loved the movie as much as I did brought her up a while ago. He randomly started finding flaws with the movie and said she was unbearable lol. I didn't mind her, I thought she did a fine job. CERTAINLY A LOT BETTER THAN KATIE HOLMES

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Forgot Billy Crudup too. That movie looks amaaaaazing, and Mann is amazing. Like I said, MV was an interesting failure at least.
It does look good, but so did Miami Vice. I just can't stand when things with potential aren't good. There is no reason this movie should be bad, but like I said I'm walking in with little expectation and just gonna hope for the best.

Sounds like you didn't like it because you didn't like it.

?

??
I agree. It's up there with Unforgiven as movies I will never understand why the general public loved and I hated. And I really hated Unforgiven.

You have to pick 10. lol

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Spirited Away
Rashomon
Blue Velvet
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
Punch Drunk Love
Fight Club
Pan's Labyrinth
Don't think I can pick 10 lol. It would require a few hours thought. I'll do that later. Also, I would have enjoyed Fight Club a lot more if the second half wasn't so bad.

And good stuff finding those cheap tickets, I have a friend that wants to go to Japan badly and is sad that it costs like a $1000 to get over there.

Also, I finished Darker Than Black this weekend. Pretty good anime. Nothing amazing, but it was never boring and had a lot of interesting elements and ideas in it.

And has anyone here seen Rome? It's INCREDIBLE, who knew a tv series could be so good. Three eps in and I'm already hooked. Too bad it was canceled some 20 eps in due to low viewers. SEE IT IF YOU HAVEN'T

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
there's no such thing as an instant classic and well... let's just say I have other problems with your analogy, but as I haven't really seen the godfather, I would mostly be talking out of my ***.

top 10 off the top of my head in no particular order:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Big Lebowski
Pulp Fiction
The Princess Bride
Slumdog Millionaire
The Usual Suspects
Memento
Hero
Kill Bill
Iron Man

I feel like I want to drop some of the last 5 for other movies, but I'm having a hard time brainstorming at work right now.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
t

Memento

good ****

pound3

top ten movie tiem?(this s off top im pretty sure there are like 20 other contenders)

Toy story
End of Evangelion
Akira
Short Circuit
Back to the Future 2
Friday
Jackie Chan's First strike aka policy story 3
Endless Waltz
Star Wars Ep: I
All Dogs go to Heaven

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I haven't seen as many movies as I'd like but top 10 in no particular order.

Animal House
Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
American History X
Fight Club
Super Troopers (I don't care what you say this movie rocked)
Die Hard (favorite Christmas movie)
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Tombstone ( a movie I definitely need to buy)
Clerks

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
for a second, I read Super Troopers as Starship Troopers and we were gonna hafta stop being friends :laugh:

lmao @ swift's list.

First Strike is so good. I love the dubbing and ****, absolute gold

SW:e1 though... **** son, that **** was weak as hell.
I think that every time I write super troopers.

Sensei

Smash Lord
The only good bug is a dead bug. lol

The only reason why I watched super troopers is because my cousin was in the beginning car scene, after that i stopped watching the movie LOL.

Total Recall is the best movie of all time. The chick with the three boobs is pure win. xP

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
yea i get a bad wrap for liking that movie(SW ep1) from lots

first strike.......a fuggen latter....holy ****

die hard 1 & 2 def are up on my top twenty pakman

good **** pakman for tombstone it was really close to making it...im ya huckleberry

val kilmer is too good in that movie.

all dogs goto heaven is probly my top 5 of all time get at me.

toy story probly should be taken off

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer

The only reason why I watched super troopers is because my cousin was in the beginning car scene, after that i stopped watching the movie LOL.

Total Recall is the best movie of all time. The chick with the three boobs is pure win. xP
SENSEI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE YOU, COME PLAY SMASH SOMETIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

srsly, <3, I miss you :(

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Hmm

Top 10 Movies

Memento
Rashomon
Run Lola Run
There Will be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Citizen Kane
Stork vs GGPlay the Movie (1:20 minute match, I'd count it)
Strangers on a Train
One Flew over the Coocoo's nest
Wall-E

thumbswayup

Smash Master
End of Evangelion
wtf LOL...

End of Eva is barely not on my list... actually it might be... hm
no NO OH DEAR GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo

Another Miami Vice/Unforgiven moment

*slits wrist*

I haven't seen as many movies as I'd like but top 10 in no particular order.

Animal House
Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
American History X
Fight Club
Super Troopers (I don't care what you say this movie rocked)
Die Hard (favorite Christmas movie)
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Tombstone ( a movie I definitely need to buy)
Clerks
I've seen Tombstone and Clerks waaaay too many times lol

for a second, I read Super Troopers as Starship Troopers and we were gonna hafta stop being friends :laugh:
Holy **** lmfao I totally did too

This post made me laugh super hard.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer

pockyD

Smash Legend
he didn't tap out because if he had survived that last attack at the very end, which he wasn't super far from doing, he would have gotten the tie and restart

or maybe he thought he could pull some FBH-esque stuff

My favs, with all the standard prequalifiers, etc...
The Usual Suspects
The Matrix
The Sixth Sense
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Dr. Strangelove
Some Like it Hot
Fight Club
Forrest Gump
A Clockwork Orange
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Some notable movies I haven't seen or saw when I was too little to make an accurate assessment but are commonly rated as great films:
All the Godfather movies
Schindler's List
Casablanca
Silence of the Lambs
Psycho
Citizen Kane
Apocalypse Now
Blade Runner

it's really hard to rate across genres though
and i really wanted an excuse to put in MYSTERY MEN, desperado, and maverick, which are probably my actual 3 favorite movies but are probably far from being 'great' on a wide scale

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
he didn't tap out because if he had survived that last attack at the very end, which he wasn't super far from doing, he would have gotten the tie and restart

or maybe he thought he could pull some FBH-esque stuff
lol, you need medics and restore to do some FBH-esque stuff :p

it's really hard to rate across genres though
and i really wanted an excuse to put in MYSTERY MEN, desperado, and maverick, which are probably my actual 3 favorite movies but are probably far from being 'great' on a wide scale
eh, I kinda hate this line of thinking. If those are your 3 favorite movies, who cares what the 'wide scale' has to say about it?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
threadless is about a thousand times better
Yeah because I am sure you can get good quality hilarious shirts from threadless for $10 shipped.

My favorite shirts I have ever owned came from woot.

Wearing this one right now.
http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=8298

Favorite Shirt
http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=6093

Funny shirts
http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=5853
http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=5726

And there are a bunch that are just cool
http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=8090
http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=6400
http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=5681

I own all these shirts and never paid more than $10 (except once where I needed to get the shirt so I paid $15 to get it on a day after it was a woot.)

pockyD

Smash Legend
you don't have things that you like even though they're probably not 'good'?

like, say, playing mewtwo in smash?

i guess what this boils down to is "top 10" is an ambiguous term when it's not "top 10 ____"

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Yeah because I am sure you can get good quality hilarious shirts from threadless for $10 shipped.

Favorite Shirt

Funny shirts

I own all these shirts and never paid more than $10 (except once where I needed to get the shirt so I paid $15 to get it on a day after it was a woot.)
*shrug* threadless has sales all the time. and I just find the overall quality and selection much greater than on woot. though there are some cool ones occasionally.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
lol, **** is legit. after neal saw all those insane groups/threads/posts he had no choice but to reward me

Favorite Shirt

Funny shirts

those shirts are more than legit

i personally like this one
http://www.gearfuse.com/mario-loves-those-shrooms/

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
*shrug* threadless has sales all the time. and I just find the overall quality and selection much greater than on woot. though there are some cool ones occasionally.
I mean my big thing is that threadless charges $7 for ground shipping.

There selection is bigger, but part of the excitement of woot is only being able to get the item on a certain day. (Granted the shirts are a little longer than that especially if they make the reckoning chart.) You know if you get a woot shirt before it sells out that you are getting a pretty unique item that not many other people are going to have or even have the ability to buy.

I guess both sites have their advantages.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Thumbs don't be stupid. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's bad :p

Kevin's list is awesome.

Has anybody else even seen Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring or 2046?
I saw it when I was 16, didn't understand much then lol. I'm sure I'll understand all the crazy messages were I to actually finish the show and rewatch the movie now. It's just all those repressed memories are stopping me haha

My dad bought Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring a couple years ago. I saw a few minutes of it and that's about it. I always meant to go back and watch it...

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Work ***** my interwebz time. T_T

I miss spamming.

DD, let's hang out sometime.

I got my car fixed.
YESSSSS MARC<3

Did I mention they added Roy to Brawl+ over here yet?

Yea, its pretty cool. Still in testing and fixing though, but he'll be fully fleshed out soon enough.
-DD

Top Bottom