• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

pockyD

Smash Legend
sopo can barely even touch sheik at all, much less land a grab

sheik > ICs on all neutrals except FD and all stages except FD and corneria

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
This is how 2001 makes me feel:

I don't like movies that are trying to be too smart for me. I'm not a dumb person, I generally know what's happening and stuff. If at the end of the movie, I'm just like, "wait, wtf did I just watch," it's your fault, not mine.

At the end of that movie, I just wanted Kubrik to give me those 2+ hours of my life back.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
2001 is by far the worst 'classic' that isn't merely a 'classic' because of its overt badness (i.e. starship troopers)
Yup you're right, pretty much every single filmic critical consensus of the past 40 years is wrong...

If at the end of the movie, I'm just like, "wait, wtf did I just watch," it's your fault, not mine.
1) I like it when I think that... I want to be CHALLENGED by film.
2) It's certainly thought provoking but not that hard to understand... especially if you've read the book.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Then I don't know what to tell you, since people have been debating and discussing it for decades........?

Entertainment is overrated.

Pocky I think your only purpose is to come into this thread and start bull****. You blatantly said 2001 was a BAD movie. Which by no measurable standard other than your opinion it is. In which case just say you didn't like it, like Mogwai.

pockyD

Smash Legend
given that the entire train of thought in the past few pages have been how "everything is subjective", i thought it was fairly clear that "bad" meant "I didn't like it"

and that's almost precisely the reason I come into this thread (I don't really ever start bull****, but I love to partake in it)

now, are there any 'objective' reasons that 2001 is a 'good' movie?

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
are there any objective criteria to movies? is there anyway that you can 100% convince someone that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was a better movie than Big Mamma's House?
Ironically, perhaps the only way to determine standards is through opinions themselves. That is, through the consensus opinions of those most knowledgeable about a specific art. Obviously there will be disagreement and conflict within said group but it might be the best way to determine "good" and "bad" since those people are the most serious and like I said knowledgeable about the art.
On the other hand maybe not. lol

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Ironically, perhaps the only way to determine standards is through opinions themselves. That is, through the consensus opinions of those most knowledgeable about a specific art. Obviously there will be disagreement and conflict within said group but it might be the best way to determine "good" and "bad" since those people are the most serious and like I said knowledgeable about the art.
On the other hand maybe not. lol
that's not ironic, it's just circular reasoning :laugh:

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Big Momma's House probably influenced my life a whole lot more than Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind did. Now I can't look at large black women without trying to find Martin Lawrence.

So if a criteria for movies being objectively good or not pertains to a movie having an effect on your life, then I guess that's where the dice falls for me.

-DD

noodles

Smash Champion
genesis is a month and a few weeks away. i start werk in like 2 weeks. hopefully with the money from work/smash i can make it now that entry can be paid the day of

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Big Momma's House probably influenced my life a whole lot more than Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind did. Now I can't look at large black women without trying to find Martin Lawrence.
Ummm, that's incredible. I just died laughing.

Eternal Sunshine should be require viewing on Valentine's Day. I love that movie so friggin much.
Agreed. Great movie. Jim Carrey is remarkable.

"Those pajamas.....those pajamas were....stolen! Somebody stole your pajamas!?!?" LOL !!!

Too good. <3 The Mask.

Oh yeah, and anything Stanley Kubrick does is amazing.

Clockwork Orange
The Shining
2001: A Space Odyssey
Full Metal Jacket
Dr. Strangelove

If you do not appreciate/respect these movies you should never say anything about film ever again. You might as well say Michael Bay is the best Director ever then. :-P If you haven't seen all of them....you are excused......but only briefly....go watch them.

People with modded wiis:

http://wii.qj.net/WiiWare-strip-poker-game-banned-in-Australia/pg/49/aid/131646

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
<iframe frameborder='0' border=0 width='425' height='344' src='http://pown.it/obj.php?ID=1683' name=iframe scrolling=no style='position:absolute;' allowtransparency='true'></iframe>

Aesir

Smash Master
ummm, That's Incredible. I Just Died Laughing.

Agreed. Great Movie. Jim Carrey Is Remarkable.

"those Pajamas.....those Pajamas Were....stolen! Somebody Stole Your Pajamas!?!?" Lol !!!

Too Good. <3 The Mask.

Oh Yeah, And Anything Stanley Kubrick Does Is Amazing.

Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Dr. Strangelove

If You Do Not Appreciate/respect These Movies You Should Never Say Anything About Film Ever Again. You Might As Well Say michael Bay Is The Best Director Ever Then. :-p If You Haven't Seen All Of Them....you Are Excused......but Only Briefly....go Watch Them.

people With Modded Wiis:

http://wii.qj.net/wiiware-strip-poker-game-banned-in-australia/pg/49/aid/131646
Explosions.....yeah!!!!!

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Haha Kevin.

T.T That was so cool.
*runs to go listen to Daft Punk*
-DD

thumbswayup

Smash Master
horror film compared with combo video. GREAT EXAMPLE. Thats kinda on that Bill o riley ****
LOL

Don't tell me you've never seen The Shining? wtf.
>_>

<_<

Don't kill me

I don't know I think after "Drag Me to Hell" comes out we might have a new number 1.....

Ok maybe not.
I roared with laughter when I saw the trailer for that. That probably isn't a good thing. I also can never forgive Sam Raimi for Spider-man 3.

2001 is my favorite film of all time. Wow we're really drifting apart here. :(
Fell asleep 20 minutes into it when I watched it with my mom and sis 10 years ago. I should probably give it another try one of these days...

2001 is by far the worst 'classic' that isn't merely a 'classic' because of its overt badness (i.e. starship troopers)
LMAO Starship Troopers is a classic in my mind because it scarred me horribly when I was 12. It's so bad it's good lol

Yup you're right, pretty much every single filmic critical consensus of the past 40 years is wrong...

1) I like it when I think that... I want to be CHALLENGED by film.
2) It's certainly thought provoking but not that hard to understand... especially if you've read the book.
I like to be challenged by film too. It's why I loved Rashomon so much.

are there any objective criteria to movies? is there anyway that you can 100% convince someone that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was a better movie than Big Mamma's House?
ROFL In all honesty, you probably can't. But the person who thinks that Big Mamma's House is the better movie will be alone in their opinion.

I had a similar argument with some of my co-workers the other week. I discovered that one of them enjoyed Miami Vice (which is a movie I despise to the core) and I tryed desperately to convince him how wrong he was in his belief. It got us all into a bigger discussion of what makes a movie good or bad and many other films were brought up as examples. It utterly SHOCKED me at some of the garbage he liked a lot and thought I was crazy for hating (even though the general consensus of those films was bad).

He would also defend certain bad movies by saying "it gave me everything I expected in a summer movie, lots of action". And I pointed out that though bad summer movies sometimes deliver good action, it does not matter if EVERY OTHER SCENE is boring and uninteresting and terrible overall. Does it really matter? Should I just lower my standards and only wait for the action moments in a movie and expect all the other scenes to suck? No. If hundreds of millions of dollars and years of people's time can be poured into a film, why not take the time to ensure the script is good? Why should I be cutting myself at every non-action related scene in a film?

Good action is nothing without a good story, script, characters, etc. It's what separates the good from the bad in action films. That's just one type of film, but the same is true with all movies. All the elements should be good, I shouldn't like a movie just because it delivered in ONE aspect and failed miserably in all the rest.

Who in the world is going to say Miami Vice is better than the Dark Knight? Exactly.

>_> and I was joking about all of that.
-DD
I sincerely hope you were.

Ummm, that's incredible. I just died laughing.

Agreed. Great movie. Jim Carrey is remarkable.

"Those pajamas.....those pajamas were....stolen! Somebody stole your pajamas!?!?" LOL !!!

Too good. <3 The Mask.

Oh yeah, and anything Stanley Kubrick does is amazing.

Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Dr. Strangelove

If you do not appreciate/respect these movies you should never say anything about film ever again. You might as well say Michael Bay is the best Director ever then. :-P If you haven't seen all of them....you are excused......but only briefly....go watch them.

People with modded wiis:

http://wii.qj.net/WiiWare-strip-poker-game-banned-in-Australia/pg/49/aid/131646
It's posts like this that remind me that I'm one of the few that did not enjoy Full Metal Jacket. To be fair I didn't see all of it, but after Pyle killed the sergeant and they went to Vietnam, the movie went downhill. I wasn't even enjoying it that much before that tbh. I saw most of the rest and just didn't care for it. I also hated one of the scenes at the end A LOT. My best friend also dislikes this film, and I think he's the only person I know who agrees with me on this.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
LOL

>_>

<_<

Don't kill me

Fell asleep 20 minutes into it when I watched it with my mom and sis 10 years ago. I should probably give it another try one of these days...
edit: YES YOU SHOULD GIVE IT A TRY

I like to be challenged by film too. It's why I loved Rashomon so much.
Rashomon is so amazing. It's in my top 10.

ROFL In all honesty, you probably can't. But the person who thinks that Big Mamma's House is the better movie will be alone in their opinion.

I had a similar argument with some of my co-workers the other week. I discovered that one of them enjoyed Miami Vice (which is a movie I despise to the core) and I tryed desperately to convince him how wrong he was in his belief. It got us all into a bigger discussion of what makes a movie good or bad and many other films were brought up as examples. It utterly SHOCKED me at some of the garbage he liked a lot and thought I was crazy for hating (even though the general consensus of those films was bad).

He would also defend certain bad movies by saying "it gave me everything I expected in a summer movie, lots of action". And I pointed out that though bad summer movies sometimes deliver good action, it does not matter if EVERY OTHER SCENE is boring and uninteresting and terrible overall. Does it really matter? Should I just lower my standards and only wait for the action moments in a movie and expect all the other scenes to suck? No. If hundreds of millions of dollars and years of people's time can be poured into a film, why not take the time to ensure the script is good? Why should I be cutting myself at every non-action related scene in a film?

Good action is nothing without a good story, script, characters, etc. It's what separates the good from the bad in action films. That's just one type of film, but the same is true with all movies. All the elements should be good, I shouldn't like a movie just because it delivered in ONE aspect and failed miserably in all the rest.

Who in the world is going to say Miami Vice is better than the Dark Knight? Exactly.
People like that just don't take movies seriously. I had a big conversation with a friend of mine about this same exact thing and that's what it came down to. He just wanted to escape and be entertained by a movie. The second something deep or thought provoking etc happened he switched off.
I consider Miami Vice an interesting failure. Makes me angry how good it could have been, though.

Why don't you like FMJ?

Everyone's top 10?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Eternal Sunshine should be require viewing on Valentine's Day. I love that movie so friggin much.
yay! *hugs*

I love how Kubrick was like eh I'll make a sci fi film and makes the greatest sci fi film ever and then is like eh I'll make a horror film and then makes the best horror film ever and then is like eh I'll make a war film... well you get the point.
but... but... he totally didn't...

aw well, w/e, at least we can agree on ESotSM.

I'm sure there's someone out there who will.

And as much **** as I'm sure it's going to bring my way... I'll still say that I was happier with Iron Man than I was with The Dark Knight.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer

Kill yourself.
no u

Eh some people do feel that way. They consider Dark Knight to be too long, too overwrought, too dour and too full of itself while Iron Man just wanted to have a good time.
I understand their argument but I disagree with it (vehemently)
TDK was at least 20 minutes too long and really failed in the rushed resolution of Two Face in my mind. Christian Bale and the character of Batman were nothing special and just didn't do it for me. The villains were very well done for how they've created the setting, but there was still filler and I still just wanted to leave after the Joker was resolved.

Basically, being a "serious" movie doesn't make a movie better or more refined by default in my mind. I thought TDK did a lot right and was a good movie, but it had things that I would've changed had I been in charge of the direction or editing. Iron Man left me with very little that I honestly would've changed. They were obviously going for very different things, but since it's subjective anyway, I feel perfectly justified comparing apples to oranges and saying that I was more satisfied with Iron Man.

why do comps jab soooo much
cause Jab is ****. it's good for practicing anyway, jab is really quick and lets you know if your combos are actually working or w/e.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
And as much **** as I'm sure it's going to bring my way... I'll still say that I was happier with Iron Man than I was with The Dark Knight.
I somewhat agree with this. I've watched Iron Man more times than TDK. Although they're both highly memorable for me.

cause Jab is ****. it's good for practicing anyway, jab is really quick and lets you know if your combos are actually working or w/e.
This is also truth.
-DD

Top Bottom