• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I only graduated 1 year ago and my knees totally hurt too :ohwell: Thank god swimming isn't tough on the old joints or I would never be able to convince myself to go to the gym.

Cog, you should retroactively switch majors to Computer Science, we get paid stupid amounts of money for no good reason other than being strictly smarter and superior to all other people in every way shape and/or form.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
What field is your college degree in?
Communications and Art LOLLLLL

I only graduated 1 year ago and my knees totally hurt too :ohwell: Thank god swimming isn't tough on the old joints or I would never be able to convince myself to go to the gym.

Cog, you should retroactively switch majors to Computer Science, we get paid stupid amounts of money for no good reason other than being strictly smarter and superior to all other people in every way shape and/or form.
my knees don't really hurt my elbow does sometimes but that's cause I did this:

oh and PS - **** you LOL. But seriously when I went to college was right when the tech/net bubble burst so it wasn't a good thing to be a CS major then.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Communications and Art LOLLLLL

my knees don't really hurt my elbow does sometimes but that's cause I did this:

oh and PS - **** you LOL. But seriously when I went to college was right when the tech/net bubble burst so it wasn't a good thing to be a CS major then.
it really looks like elbows shouldn't do that...

what does one do with a Communications and Art degree?

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Who's going to Genesis?

Mogwai, do you have terrible job security? Or is being a Computer Science major make you so superior that you don't even need job security?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
1. Why would I have terrible job security? To answer your question, no, I don't have terrible job security, but I don't know why you would I assume that I do.

2. My superiority lets me sleep well knowing that everyone in the world wants to pay me exorbitant sums of money to do a job that lets me camp smashboards simultaneously.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Mogwai, I'm sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to come off that way. I just reread it and it sounded like I was being an ***. I should've reworded that. Anyways, what I was getting at...

I was just thinking to myself that don't a lot of people like dealing with computers? So, right now, you're fine because you're just out of college and you know cutting edge programming etc. What about later though when newer people come out of school and then they have their exorbitant knowledge? Technology changes greatly within 6 months so in say a decade it is completely different. What I'm asking is, why would they keep a computer science vet when they could have someone who knows a ton of new stuff? Or is there a ton of training companies make you do to make sure you stay cutting edge?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
programming doesn't change as often as hardware.

mogwai, teach me starcraft pls

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Usually you pick up new knowledge all the time in a job like that. A lot of times the company pays for you to get trained in something.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
yea, I mean, programming fundamentals rarely change and while the technologies do... in order to stay productive at your job, you need to stay on top of that ****. There is also this thing where management in every company that's bigger than like 100 people is deathly afraid of change and ends up maintaining horrifyingly old and terrible code long since it's become obsolete.

coding starts to burn you out anyway, I wouldn't want to still be intimate with code by the time I'm in my mid 30s, I'm hoping by then I'll be moving towards management or a less stressful career.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Or you could come up with an innovative idea, make a small internet start-up, and sell it later on to another company for millions of dollars.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
right, that would be cool too.

SleepyK, here's a bunch of stuff for learning starcraft:

English Commentary VODs:
http://www.gomtv.net/videos/

Korean Commentary VODs:
http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/games/vods

Compilation of fairly useful threads to start learning:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=60601

Day[9]'s Audio Podcasts (once you have a grasp on the basics and have some game sense, they're a good listen):
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=89581&currentpage=All

This is also my AIM and you can IM me and ask me stuff whenever because I like talking about the games that I play: WWRDude

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
thanks a lot, mogwai.
I'm tired of not living up to my korean roots.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Alright that makes sense.

So, Mogwai, do you recommend Computer Science to other people or no? You just said it is pretty stressful, but the hours you get from what I can tell seem relatively nice. Right now I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I enjoy computers though so maybe that's the answer lol. Is it a 4 year college program?

Also, were you one of those kids in school that like grew up programming and lived and breathed programming? If so maybe it's not for me because I've only had a little experience with java and didn't really care for it (partially because I had to learn it by myself in 2 days because I was on vacation for 2 weeks but still).

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Anyone can learn a programming language. The more difficult skill to learn is how to resolve problems in programming. Debugging, finding elegant solutions to improve code, etc.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
OWM, :D Did you buy your tickets yet and are you just going for Genesis or are you staying for a week or so to check out CA?

I wanna check out Sacramento since it's literally an hour from Genesis.

Joey-Okay.

Mogwai-Still want to hear your thoughts on my previous post whenever you get around to it.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm booking everything mid-may but I'm more or less planning a whole vacation around Genesis and EVO this summer. I'm flying out to cali with a friend a few days b4 Genesis and hanging in San Fran for a few days to get blacklight tattoos. Then genesis, then I'm driving to Vegas and meeting a friend there for a few more days, then EVO.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
OMG That's the kinda stuff I wanna do (the whole vacation part). Lemme go with you. :D

Edit: Maybe only partially, I don't mean to be rude. I just want to go to Genesis, but not only go for a video game tournament.

pockyD

Smash Legend
computer science is awesome

and don't confuse computer science with IT-like jobs; they are nowhere near the same

i would freely admit that i am a computer idiot

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
1 really w1sh 1 had go++en +o go, bu+ 1 guess +ha+ all +he ch1nese food which go+ me supah fa+ +h1s weekend was a decent consola+1on
I really miss brookman posting. :(

[19:23] Heihachi90: my dog is violating me right now

I figured I'd share that.

that needed to be posted, too, since it's classic and amazing.
and shminkledorf T_T

Edit: PockyD, okay. :D If possible, same question to you about the whole living/breathing programming when you were younger.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
it really looks like elbows shouldn't do that...

what does one do with a Communications and Art degree?
morphine appetizer and then 2 hits of whatever they give you for anesthesia to wrench my forearm bones back into my elbow socket.

It's kind of a versatile degree. It's really really broad which can be good and bad. I'm kind of experiencing the bad part (my own fault honestly) in that it's not focused enough to go into a specific field... but on the other hand it deals with like every form of media so it gives you lots of options.

Make movies.
or this

communicate to me with your artistic beard
I shaved. :chuckle:

pockyD

Smash Legend
i did very little programming when it wasn't required

but i always liked it when i did it

just make sure you enjoy PROGRAMMING, not "computers", because like i said, they're very different

and also, be glad you're not a "philosophy" major

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Cog had a nipple slip.

be glad you're not a "philosophy" major
LOL SO TRUE! Seriously, what do you do with a phil degree? "I can think real deeply about stuff".

All you can do is either write books or become a professor.

Top Bottom