• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I made nats but didn't go, I don't have any points, just the event which i didn't attend, its just an inside joke with friends, cuz I could have gone lol.

did you go to the rav limited ptq's in hartford? I made top 8 there once. then dropped because I did'nt have time for top 8 draft.
na, I was back in Pittsburgh then so I was typically going to all Ohio, MD, and PA events with the CMU drafters. Turns out that while being in the same area as Nick Eisel and Ben Peebles-Mundy will make you really good, it also means that there are a lot of really good players in that region :\.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
ya, there isn't really any one that great in ct, I played with the best players in the state, and we aren't that great, all of us average an 1800 to 1900 rating.
I haven't checked my rating in awhile, but I'd imagine my limited is still hovering in the 1800s somewhere...

You going to any Kyoto Qualifiers? I think I might go to Philly or Boston on the 22nd and then maybe NJ on Dec 27th, but the rest are pretty inconveniently scheduled.

EDIT: Ew, it's a 1791, I don't remember when it got that low, do they degrade if you don't play for a certain amount of time?

Chum

Smash Apprentice
no, I havent been very active since I entered college. I go to a store every once in a while, but its sad, no knows how to draft well, i just walk in and **** everyone.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
no, I havent been very active since I entered college. I go to a store every once in a while, but its sad, no knows how to draft well, i just walk in and **** everyone.
lol, sounds like mtgo. I was at 1950 on mtgo just ****** everyone in SSS 8-4s with mono red. Also sounds like when I'd go to FNM whenever I was home from college. Average card shop players aren't very good XD

pockyD

Smash Legend
Don't try to outrun one of Dominia's Grizzlies; it'll catch you, knock you down, and eat you. Of course, you could run up a tree. In that case, you'll get a nice view before it knocks the tree down and eats you.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Its what my friends and I are doing to prepare for WoTLK, all of us are getting 100 or each mark and 70k honor.
Im trying to do so as well, just got mah flyer so ima stack chips all day.

I only got around 10k honor and like 3/0/10/3 marks (AB/WSG/EYE/AV).

Ima pvp'er at heart so like I blew money on epic gems for a while to go wit da s2 stuff. but now Ima stack everything.

Kip is pretty godly at WoW from what chris tells me

thumbswayup

Smash Master
not really, because the samus wasn't going to make you draw 6,000 cards or deal you 416851891654 damage with a fireball, they were just trying to survive. It's more like they were at 2 with no dudes, you attacked with a 2/2, then they brainfreezed themselves in a desperate attempt to mill moment's peace in order to flashback and stay alive for just one turn, they hit moment's peace, triumphantly flash it back and you just respond with sudden shock to kill them anyway. That's a better analogy :p.
The fact that I understood part of that makes me want to kill myself.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Mogwai, that analogy was incredible.

I used to play Magic. My two biggest problems with the game are how expensive it is and the fact that no matter how good your deck is, you're ALWAYS gonna have those games where you just can't make anything happen.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Mogwai, that analogy was incredible.

I used to play Magic. My two biggest problems with the game are how expensive it is and the fact that no matter how good your deck is, you're ALWAYS gonna have those games where you just can't make anything happen.
So, I sorta really love the game of magic, but I've definitely found my activity dwindling recently. It is a card game, so luck is a fundamental element in it, and as such, I've come to accept that there are games where you can't win no matter what you do. For every one of those losses though, there are at least 2 losses that I can look back at and see ways that I could've at least given myself a better chance to win.

The real problem I have with magic is that I cannot stand the majority of the people that play it. Everyone feels entitled to win every match in magic and will literally john for the entire amount of time they have between a round that they lost and the next round. I've had people refuse to say "good game" to me in magic because they drew 10 non-lands and 10 lands, even when my card distribution was no better. I've seen people call the judge on a 12 year old with an 80 card deck. The level of poor sportsmanship and overinflated sense of ability in the game is just unbearable to me.

Whenever I think about whether to go to a smash tournament or a magic tournament now, the decision is a slam dunk for smash because I'd always rather spend my day around smashers than magic players, even if I'm higher on the pecking order in magic.

my biggest problem was jackal pup
The first morning after aquiring her familiar, the wizard awoke with fleabites and mange.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
skull clamp
that card was legal for like... a couple months... I've read the development notes on that one and it's really a travesty that it managed to sneak out and into booster packs. Zvi once said that his greatest regret in R & D was not finding a reason to prevent damnation from being printed, but I think even that falls miles short of the skullclamp abomination...

ZoSo

Smash Champion
The real problem I have with magic is that I cannot stand the majority of the people that play it. Everyone feels entitled to win every match in magic and will literally john for the entire amount of time they have between a round that they lost and the next round. I've had people refuse to say "good game" to me in magic because they drew 10 non-lands and 10 lands, even when my card distribution was no better. I've seen people call the judge on a 12 year old with an 80 card deck. The level of poor sportsmanship and overinflated sense of ability in the game is just unbearable to me.
Yep.

skull clamp
'Nuff said.

EDIT: I think my favorite story like that is how Memory Jar was never legal in Standard.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon

pockyD

Smash Legend
i liked how they thought that the effects of ancestral recall and healing salve were close enough to both be in the same cycle

i also like how when they realized how unbelievably broken ancestral recall was, they figured that they could neutralize it simply by making it rare

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
i liked how they thought that the effects of ancestral recall and healing salve were close enough to both be in the same cycle

i also like how when they realized how unbelievably broken ancestral recall was, they figured that they could neutralize it simply by making it rare
lol, yea, the early years of magic were funny... necropotence anyone?

Budai578

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played MTG in several years and quit WoW almost 2 years ago (after having played since closed Beta). Both were good times that also ate my life.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think the last deck I played in magic I ran like
4 Masticore
4 Voltaic Key
4 Grim Monolith

and thats all I can remember.

I miss those days.

Chum

Smash Apprentice
skull clamp
I remember when that first came out, next day I had raffinity up and running.

Cort is so good at WoW.

You know when you hit 80 all your chips and points wipe, right? Or I am pretty sure they do.
Blizzard said they won't

So, I sorta really love the game of magic, but I've definitely found my activity dwindling recently. It is a card game, so luck is a fundamental element in it, and as such, I've come to accept that there are games where you can't win no matter what you do. For every one of those losses though, there are at least 2 losses that I can look back at and see ways that I could've at least given myself a better chance to win.

I know exactly what you mean. Its like when you go to an event you have the casual players that for some reason have to tell you how your going to lose and they say every thing they do. Then you **** them and they call your deck "cheap" and they should have won etc (The first time this happened to me I was playing affinity with clamp so it was equivalent to cheating lol). I prefer to play with more skilled players to avoid that, plus its more fun for me

Im trying to do so as well, just got mah flyer so ima stack chips all day.

I only got around 10k honor and like 3/0/10/3 marks (AB/WSG/EYE/AV).

Ima pvp'er at heart so like I blew money on epic gems for a while to go wit da s2 stuff. but now Ima stack everything.
Ya i'll i do is pvp i had full s2 in my bags before i hit 70, now I have 12k honor and 14/16/32/58 marks

Top Bottom