• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations Nick Riddle for third place at MLG Columbus

solecalibur

Smash Master
nobody trusted your twitters after that m2k lie..
Derp >.> which one?
The espam vs M2k or ally vs m2k or errr I messed up a lot of my updates because Im short and all I saw in the back was a bunch of ***** and just heard what people where screaming

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Nick Riddle- 3rd place

How long have you been playing?

I played Melee since '06 and mained Link and Bowser, and started playing Brawl on release day. I finally started getting good around last year around October.

1. What Character do you play? Why?

I play Zero Suit Samus. I don't remember why, but I originally played Bowser because I'm an idiot. I tried Link and he was awful, and then played Bowser but got really angry about his up+b. He'd just fly off the stage and fall to his death, so I switched. I saw the Claw combo video and thought Zero Suit Samus looked pretty cool.

2. Who was your hardest match this tournament?

It was close between Mew2King and Ally the second time we played. Mew2King's Meta Knight had a lot of pressure all the time, but Ally knew what I was doing before I did it.

3. What was your biggest mistake this tournament?

Taking Ally to Rainbow Cruise twice! Also not preparing for the Falco matchup properly, but all the Falcos got knocked out early so that wasn't a problem.

4. Do you plan on changing anything or practicing anything specific for future events?

Possibly learning Pikachu for Falco. Getting better with tech skill too; I want to reverse down-tilt out of shield better.

5. What do you think about half the top 16 being Meta Knight with no other repeated character?

In my opinion, I think that there are more good MKs than other characters. Meta Knight's plateau is just so much higher, while characters like ZSS and Pikachu are ridiculously hard to use at a high level.

6. What was the biggest upset for this tournament?

Me beating Ally and San and Shakey making top 16. Shakey is five points away from pro status using only Ness. Five points!

7. What do you think about the Zero Suit Samus matchup?

55-45 in Nick Riddle's favor.

8. How long have you used the same controller?

I lose my controller almost every major tournament. I've had this one since Winterfest though.

9. Were there any matchups you wanted to avoid?

Falco. Falco. Falco. Falco. Falco. Also ESAM and Seibrik just because they know me too well.

10. Who was your favorite player or favorite set to watch?

Shakey versus Bizkit because I love Shakey and its a great matchup to watch. I love watching hard matchups go like that.

11. What do you think will happen in Raleigh?

A bit of personal bias here, I think Florida is going to do very well. Tons of Florida in the top 16 in Orlando and people just said it was a fluke, but Columbus proves it wasnt.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Oooh, look at that immense shieldcamping in every game against Ally. Yep, I knew it. And just like I said: :crying:

ZSS's major weakness... Why couldn't she have a faster grab? :(

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It's more that Ally knew exactly when he was going to do something and when to shield, not that he was camping in his shield.
Ally even shielded when Nick wasn't doing anything, and kept getting distance unless Nick got closer to try and get him out of his shield. Hence, shield camping.

The first match broke my heart.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Ally even shielded when Nick wasn't doing anything, and kept getting distance unless Nick got closer to try and get him out of his shield. Hence, shield camping.

The first match broke my heart.
You're being really silly right now. Even Nick admitted that he was just outplayed.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Derp >.> which one?
The espam vs M2k or ally vs m2k or errr I messed up a lot of my updates because Im short and all I saw in the back was a bunch of ***** and just heard what people where screaming
esam beating m2k or 1-1 with m2k, forget which one it was

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I just waited and stopped rushing
Bam. Straight from the man himself.

Like I said... Shields really suck for ZSS.

I still love that character though, and am using a lot more grabs with her to try and minimize this weakness. And it should be a given that if that's what people do to beat her, then that's what she should do to beat them: stop rushing when she has an advantage, and wait for them to get close.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I just knew he would dash attack after a certain move used, I just punished and stop giving him the advantage. and I was timing ftilts and grabs better.
If ZSS would have a reliable way of punishing shields that isn't just trying to outspeed you, there'd be no reason why we have to find ways around that fact... Like dash attacks, which like you pointed out, he threw out a lot, even against M2K.

I also blame the pressure, but ah well. 3rd place is still great, he took dat money home.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I just knew he would dash attack after a certain move used, I just punished and stop giving him the advantage. and I was timing ftilts and grabs better.
Haha, my stupid habits were getting me *****.
It's all good though. You adapt like crazy dude.
I'll get you next time.;)

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Good Job Nick =) And i know how is hard to beat a Snake Congratulation for 3rd Place

noradseven

Smash Lord
The matches (where Nick wins) are insane!
Winners Semi-Finals Nick Riddle (ZSS) vs. Ally (Snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeYmg0PIxMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqhgI5X_0uc
That is alot of mistakes and tons of missed free punish's and power shields were those Tvs laggy or something.

Still good **** you don't take too many unnecessary risks, the increased number of dash attacks is partially why I am assuming lag snake can punish that **** for free normally.

Great use of d-smash I keep saying that stuffs good, and you kept using it to trap landings perfect. Your using d-tilt for that too.

I am still mad as **** that snake players don't f-smash ZSS's grab whiff >:(.

Overall though good game and I would recommend this video to how to play and move around as ZSS.

solecalibur

Smash Master
You have to realize how amazing nick riddle's DI was to survive some of those hits from snake, kind of like how everyone says allys DI is amazing but all other top player's DI is just as amazing its just snake is soooo fat

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
That is alot of mistakes and tons of missed free punish's and power shields were those Tvs laggy or something.

Still good **** you don't take too many unnecessary risks, the increased number of dash attacks is partially why I am assuming lag snake can punish that **** for free normally.

Great use of d-smash I keep saying that stuffs good, and you kept using it to trap landings perfect. Your using d-tilt for that too.

I am still mad as **** that snake players don't f-smash ZSS's grab whiff >:(.

Overall though good game and I would recommend this video to how to play and move around as ZSS.

The televisions were a little laggy.
Most of my dash-attacks were used to punish AD landings, so they were actually safe though.
Also, if it makes you feel better, he broke my shield in GF and f-smashed me.
I was at 30.
On the edge of FD.
Sadface.

noradseven

Smash Lord
The televisions were a little laggy.
Most of my dash-attacks were used to punish AD landings, so they were actually safe though.
Also, if it makes you feel better, he broke my shield in GF and f-smashed me.
I was at 30.
On the edge of FD.
Sadface.
Yeah I saw that most of your dash-attacks were safe, and were spaced properly, but about 10 of them I was hmmm that was risky. And I saw zero punishes when I should of seen around 3-4 at least maybe more because Ally, so I was like hmmm lag????

Regardless it was very solid playing all around, but now people are going to play more ZSS and know how to fight her :(. Ahh who am I kidding 90% of the ZSS's I see have no clue how to play her properly, and spend most of the time running around doing over B.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Switch with dash attacks with d-smashes and DOUBLE DOWN SMASH only reason I did "Ok" against ally
Got two stocked and one stocked by ally two days ago =(

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Yeah I saw that most of your dash-attacks were safe, and were spaced properly, but about 10 of them I was hmmm that was risky. And I saw zero punishes when I should of seen around 3-4 at least maybe more because Ally, so I was like hmmm lag????

Regardless it was very solid playing all around, but now people are going to play more ZSS and know how to fight her :(. Ahh who am I kidding 90% of the ZSS's I see have no clue how to play her properly, and spend most of the time running around doing over B.
I can't wait for people to pick ZSS.
And then quit because she's too hard to play.
I shall laugh to myself when it happens. :D

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I don't think anymore people are gonna pick her up.
This should have happen way faster. I have only seen one guy here picking her up.
Nobody is now gonna pick her up except for noobs who aren't on SWF who see your vids and then spart spamming side b with er wich is actually effective against the people they play against.
I think. I hope.

Blakmane

Smash Apprentice
what's wrong with more people picking her up? More people = more chance of top level players = evolving metagame. We shouldn't have to rely on others 'not knowing the MU' to do well.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
what's wrong with more people picking her up? More people = more chance of top level players = evolving metagame. We shouldn't have to rely on others 'not knowing the MU' to do well.
Nothing is wrong with new ZSS players.
She's just stupid hard to use, and I like it when people quit her.
I find it funny.

solecalibur

Smash Master
recovery for this character is ridiculous, I swear it took 1 month before I knew everything perfectly lol

Ex-Dove

Smash Cadet
I'm still trying to break this habit of mine where whenever I use the flip to recover and I end up going right at the ledge I accidentally flipkick and fall past the edge and then I freak out so I don't plasma wire in time and gimp myself. I throw such a huge fit. xD

Top Bottom