• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Who here is ready for our first Assist Trophy promotion ever in the same Smash game? I can't wait for the detractors to btfo.
Um....? we stil dunno yet. Hold it in a bit, I like spring too, but this amiibo stuff got me out of the mood.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I can't believe they actually left us hanging with the whole "guess who" schtick, only for it to be the main character anyways
I don't know if any of you were around the Ridley thread in Smash 4 or not. But this is more or less what the Ridley fans said back then. When Smash for the 3DS/Wii U started doing Directs or Sakurai started doing his Miiverse thing he would tease Ridley multiple times. Never showing him or outright deconfirming him. Only hinting about the character.

People in the Ridley thread would say: "I can't believe they would tease Ridley this much if he was just a boss. He's GOT to be a playable character." Well, it turned out Ridley was just a stage hazard. All that teasing. All that hype building. Just for a stage hazard.

Don't be so certain that it won't just end up be Spring Man.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I actually like Min Min more but I would want Spring Man just as much or more because he would destroy the deconfirmed Assist Trophy fan rule.
That's what i'm most hyped for. Even if it's not an AT but a spirit, the overall "no upgrades" rule is what will be debunked, even if haters/naysayers later will want to twist it to "hurr durr but it was just this, the other thing wont be ever upgraded hurr durr", it doesn't matter really, as long as something gets upgraded it will destroy the logic that nothing was gonna ever be upgraded. I can't wait!
Something that I'm super interested to see also are the mii costumes that comes with Arms, those miis (and spirit events every now and then) are like the new murder session of chances for certain characters lol, it's always fun and scary to watch.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Um....? we stil dunno yet. Hold it in a bit, I like spring too, but this amiibo stuff got me out of the mood.
I dont really see how the Amiibo thing is a strike against him, there's a lot of "evidence" Smash fans bring up for characters' inclusions and they never happen.

I honestly believe that it's Springman because there is no reason for it to not be him. I really doubt Sakurai or Nintendo really care that he is an assist trophy and a spirit already. If anything, I expect Sakurai to make a cheeky joke about it (either in the trailer or in person) and that's it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dunno, seeing how much Sakurai likes his surprises, if he meant for Spring Man to so obviously be the ARMS fighter, then he wouldn't have approved this whole charade in the first place. Outside of a few incidents in 4, he's generally not one to allow mind games to play out for a significant amount of time, boom, reveal, case closed. Even the :ultbyleth: teaser didn't last more than a couple of days, and even then the only hint was done in binary.

There has to be a little more to it than just Spring Man being the ARMS fighter, I feel, but what it is, I'm not sure.

What I'm getting at is this: Spring Man is coming with something, and that something is the actual surprise.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I dunno, seeing how much Sakurai likes his surprises, if he meant for Spring Man to so obviously be the ARMS fighter, then he wouldn't have approved this whole charade in the first place. Outside of a few incidents in 4, he's generally not one to allow mind games to play out for a significant amount of time, boom, reveal, case closed. Even the :ultbyleth: teaser didn't last more than a couple of days, and even then the only hint was done in binary.

There has to be a little more to it than just Spring Man being the ARMS fighter, I feel, but what it is, I'm not sure.
Remember how Byleth was super secretive as Sakurai mentioned?

Don't let your guard down with Spring Man.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, seeing how much Sakurai likes his surprises, if he meant for Spring Man to so obviously be the ARMS fighter, then he wouldn't have approved this whole charade in the first place. Outside of a few incidents in 4, he's generally not one to allow mind games to play out for a significant amount of time, boom, reveal, case closed..
You're also forgetting we're in a pandemic. There most likely wasn't anything noteworthy to show, or any development on the actual character. And leaving it vague gets more people to talk about the DLC and who it could be. I really doubt it's anything "mindgamey" than that.

Remember when people kept saying Sakurai was teasing something with the three fingers? While it did end up being Byleth from Three Houses, it didnt mean that at all.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Would have been wiser to simply say "stay tuned for a new character reveal in June!", not get everyone in a tizzy for no reason, especially if ARMS isn't getting a new game anyway.

While I do know of current circumstances, Sakurai did say that the ARMS fighter was a "special request from Nintendo". For what reason besides one of the only possible promotions for this time, that remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord

What I'm getting at is this: Spring Man is coming with something, and that something is the actual surprise.
That's basically going back to what was mentioned with Ridley by another user with the real kicker being that Sakurai was the one in charge of 4s base game unlike Nintendo being in charge of the DLC now. That basically proves that Sakurai would probably approve.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's basically going back to what was mentioned with Ridley by another user with the real kicker being that Sakurai was the one in charge of 4s base game unlike Nintendo being in charge of the DLC now. That basically proves that Sakurai would probably approve.
At the very least, he'll explain to us why he went to the trouble of allowing this specific case. And he already mentioned cov in the Famitsu articles, so it surely is also something else.

Koopaul

Smash Champion

How do you know this is a charade? What if he just wasn't ready to show off the next fighter but still wanted to give is something. Afterall, many people payed money ahead of time for fighters pass 2.

What I'm getting at is that sometimes it seems like they're hinting at something bigger but they really aren't. Case and point: Ridley in Smash 4. I could actually bring up many other examples where it seemed like they were going to give us one thing but then it ended up being the typical and disappointing choice.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
How do you know this is a charade? What if he just wasn't ready to show off the next fighter but still wanted to give is something. Afterall, many people payed money ahead of time for fighters pass 2.

What I'm getting at is that sometimes it seems like they're hinting at something bigger but they really aren't. Case and point: Ridley in Smash 4. I could actually bring up many other examples where it seemed like they were going to give us one thing but then it ended up being the typical and disappointing choice.
Regardless whether it's supposedly disappointing or not, it proves one thing: one of the fan rules is dead, and it won't be long until it officially happens.

Maybe the cast picture was really just a spirit board all along.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I definitely do not think we are getting Spring Man as a standalone, but doing the Hero thing with some other ARMS characters as skins is a different story. As far as standalone ARMS characters go, I'm sticking to my guns that Min-Min, Twintelle or Dr. Coyle will be the rep.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Since the character is a special request, I think the promotion (assuming it is one) would be a possibly exceptional case, as there might be something to tie them into, like the work-in-progress Dark Horse comic. So they wouldn't just easily promote any random character, especially with how fickle the AT system seems to work with in the first place.

Until further notice, it may either be Spring Man by himself, or Spring Man with alts (if they want to go full hog in case they'll never get the chance to again).

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Would have been wiser to simply say "stay tuned for a new character reveal in June!", not get everyone in a tizzy for no reason, especially if ARMS isn't getting a new game anyway.

While I do know of current circumstances, Sakurai did say that the ARMS fighter was a "special request from Nintendo". For what reason besides one of the only possible promotions for this time, that remains to be seen.
Just to we're all on the same page, where did Sakurai say the ARMS rep was a special request?

(could spell doom for other promotions...)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just to we're all on the same page, where did Sakurai say the ARMS rep was a special request?

(could spell doom for other promotions...)
I think it was one of the Famitsu article translations, so it might be tough to find.

Also, we don't know that. We can still get a few, but I wouldn't expect it for the entirety of the pass, gotta have balance.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
For clarification, what could "special request" mean in this context?

Would it be like a corporate decision? A Kojima-type situation with Yabuki? Something that I can't think of for some reason?
Well Nintendo picked the DLC so that should give you a better idea of what it meant. Either he was just saying how Nintendo requested it or the ARMS devs requested it to Nintendo who then relayed it to Sakurai.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
has anyone ever considered that maybe the arms character was meant to be fully revealed during the mini direct but due to circumstances the trailer wasnt ready in time so they just made the tease quickly?

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
The translation I saw said that was a 'Special request from the developers', the ARMS Team, not Nintendo as a whole. (Still we don't know if the second pass was suggested by the company as Pass1 or not). I think that was the translation that PushDustin uses to post, those texts are pretty accurate in my view.
What's the correct 'special' who knows. Overlapping the AT in the same game or someone who is not the posterboy being first, both are special cases, whoever character chosen is something without precedents in Smash speculation.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The translation I saw said that was a 'Special request from de developers', the ARMS Team, not Nintendo as a whole. (Still we don't know if the second pass was suggested by the company as Pass1 or not). I think that was the translation that PushDustin uses to post, those texts are quite accurate in my view.
What's the correct 'special' who knows. Overlapping the AT in the same game or someone who is not the posterboy being first, both are special cases, whoever character chosen is something without precedents in Smash speculation.
If it indeed is from the ARMS team, we might be getting somewhere. Not very far, mind you.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well I guess we'll know what' so special about either at the reveal or the column after.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In the meantime, maybe it's time to stop talking and start training.

has anyone ever considered that maybe the arms character was meant to be fully revealed during the mini direct but due to circumstances the trailer wasnt ready in time so they just made the tease quickly?
At least once. Every possibility's been covered.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Better use the fighter's simbol, the ARMS League logo looks a bit weird, I think that it could be better.
I will say that the only one who represents more the fighter than the series is Cap Falcon's one, so using something different from the ARMS Leage logo seems unlikely.
:ultjoker:

But even counting Joker, it's still two out of who knows how many franchises at this point? It's unlikely that we'd get anything other than the ARMS logo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if we'll hit 100 pages before the reveal.

Top Bottom