• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If Nintendo wanted to pull a Corrin, I'd think they'd do it the sneaky way and have that fighter out later as 3rd, 4th, 5th fighter to make sure you get the season pass first. Starting that off with a literal "WHO?" promoting future games would be a bad move if you ask me.
Unless it's not Fire Emblem. I know a lot of people were hoping for an Astral Chain rep.

Nice profile pic, by the way. I'm hoping to get that game when it comes to Switch.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I believe they mean non represented like DMC or Tomb Raider is non represented. It was pretty obvious when they said from new companies too as a new company would be new because they’d have zilch in game
I got that but... really whats the difference? The characters were never playable, and they had no representation other then being NP{ stuff. No musics, no stages, nothing other then PNG files or being an item. This still seems like a huge thing.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If Nintendo is chooing one out of 15 characters, I think it would be Min Min.
A stretchy Boxer with Martial Arts and kicks. Normally a Boxer wouldn't use their legs.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
This seems odd for me. Wouldn't you want new fighters from series not having fighters yet? ARMS has no fighters yet. Shantae has no fighters yet. Geno you could say has none as a solo Mario RPG. Rex and pyra does have fighters though.

So you wouldn't like a Pass with Min Min/Dr. Coyle, Geno, Shantae, Rayman, Isaac, and Lip. All are brand new series with no playable fighters in the game.
That is correct. I want characters from franchises that have ZERO representation in Smash currently, whether it be spirits, costumes, ATs, or anything else you can think of down to the most minuscule detail. This is the most significant cross-over in fiction, and I prioritize adding more new worlds to the fold than anything else.

In a vacuum, there are certainly characters I think would be neat in already represented series. Sephiroth would be super hype for example. But I see Smash as more than their individual characters. What was once a celebration of Nintendo is now a celebration of gaming, and gaming has A LOT of worlds both big and small that are completely absent in Smash.

Are there characters that would override this opinion? Only two; Captain Rainbow and CD-i Link. But we can't be entirely unbiased all the time.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
That is correct. I want characters from franchises that have ZERO representation in Smash currently, whether it be spirits, costumes, ATs, or anything else you can think of down to the most minuscule detail. This is the most significant cross-over in fiction, and I prioritize adding more new worlds to the fold than anything else.

In a vacuum, there are certainly characters I think would be neat in already represented series. Sephiroth would be super hype for example. But I see Smash as more than their individual characters. What was once a celebration of Nintendo is now a celebration of gaming, and gaming has A LOT of worlds both big and small that are completely absent in Smash.

Are there characters that would override this opinion? Only two; Captain Rainbow and CD-i Link. But we can't be entirely unbiased all the time.
I can respect that chain of thought, even if I disagree. I would love to see Nintendo further expand their playable roster and show some of these characters as much love as the rest.

I would love to see Captain rainbow. Heck, port that game over now cowards!!!

Trevenant

Smash Lord

You unironically want CD-I Link? If so that’s a first.

https://youtu.be/6KwD2AdUx3U back to the topic at hand what do people think of this? It could be cool but I feel it may be too complex for a relatively simple fighting game

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
You unironically want CD-I Link? If so that’s a first.

https://youtu.be/6KwD2AdUx3U back to the topic at hand what do people think of this? It could be cool but I feel it may be too complex for a relatively simple fighting game
Way too complicated, but I like the idea. I think Limit the amount of arms you can put on to maybe 4-6 3 for each arm, and you'll be good.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Too complex. Could be made simpler by keeping the range stuff for normals and having the specials be the mechanics.

Neutral B is the ARMS Charge
Side B is the Grab
Up and Down B depend on the character, I guess

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Oh. GUYS!!!

I think I know how to pull off the "eight ARMS character alts" idea.

In Mortal Kombat X, there was a character called Triborg, who would have completely different movesets based on which Variation you pick. There's one for Sektor, one for Cyrax, one for Cyber Smoke, and even one for Cyber Sub-Zero! This idea would be reused with the Ninja Turtles in Injustice 2. While maybe not entire movesets (Such as specials or what ARMS are used), what if Sakurai took a page from them and add individual gimmicks for each alt costume? Because that's what ARMS is, right? While their character attacks are generally the same (I don't think you can exactly get creative with stretchy attacks) the passives diversify them.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Oh. GUYS!!!

I think I know how to pull off the "new character per alt" trick.

In Mortal Kombat X, there was a character called Triborg, who would have completely different movesets based on which Variation you pick. There's one for Sektor, one for Cyrax, one for Cyber Smoke, and even one for Cyber Sub-Zero! This idea would be reused with the Ninja Turtles in Injustice 2. While maybe not entire movesets (Such as specials or what ARMS are used), what if Sakurai took a page from them and add individual gimmicks for each alt costume? Because that's what ARMS is, right? While their character attacks are generally the same (Every ARMS character's attacks are basically stretch their limbs/hair to attack) the passives diversify them.
I think that’s where the problem lies. We are almost definitely not getting DLC echoes so any distinctions between characters with mechanics so unless they add differences between the alts, which although should be distinct, directly mirror each other to an extent that they play the same as the other costumes then they’d probably be better off as future semi clones, future echoes, future unique newcomers, watered down pallets or not represented at all.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Oh. GUYS!!!

I think I know how to pull off the "new character per alt" trick.

In Mortal Kombat X, there was a character called Triborg, who would have completely different movesets based on which Variation you pick. There's one for Sektor, one for Cyrax, one for Cyber Smoke, and even one for Cyber Sub-Zero! This idea would be reused with the Ninja Turtles in Injustice 2. While maybe not entire movesets (Such as specials or what ARMS are used), what if Sakurai took a page from them and add individual gimmicks for each alt costume? Because that's what ARMS is, right? While their character attacks are generally the same (Every ARMS character's attacks are basically stretch their limbs/hair to attack) the passives diversify them.
It worked for NRS because ever since MKX, customizing movesets is a big part of their fighting games and everyone has access to that stuff, Triborg and TMNT are just the most notable ones because they push the limits of customization further than the rest of their games' cast, but they don't do anything that others don't do, they just do more of it.

Having a "different alt has different properties" gimmick would be a little too out of place and outright nullify the concept of Echo Fighters. And that would be a shame because they're actually looked in a way that isn't synonymous with "waste of a slot because I wanted [character]" ever since Ultimate gave clones an official term.

Basically, I just don't want people to think Echoes can be just alts because then we just open a whole new can of worms for both speculation and pointless whining.

I can see alts have different visual stuff (mainly because it's already a thing with characters like Bayonetta), but not outright different hitboxes and and stuff like that.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Whatever solution they come up with, I don't care what it is as long as I get my ARMS Vs. :ultlittlemac: matchups, darn it.

Unless it's not Fire Emblem. I know a lot of people were hoping for an Astral Chain rep.

Nice profile pic, by the way. I'm hoping to get that game when it comes to Switch.
I guess that if it's not made by a first or second party, an IP consisting of a single game won't be considered very easily (hence Sak's "not just anyone can get in" statement in Smash 4's period). Both of the Platinum-developed Nintendo properties got that issue.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys. If ARMS' rep ends up being a Hero/Bowser Jr. situation, what do you think the character would be called? ARMS League? ARMS Champions? ARMS?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey, guys. If ARMS' rep ends up being a Hero/Bowser Jr. situation, what do you think the character would be called? ARMS League? ARMS Champions? ARMS?
they will just say the name of the first character, like bowser Jr or Olimar. its just every other character will have the announcer say their name too

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't think it'll happen... but if it does, they'll just be called by each character's name. Like with the Koopalings or Alph.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/6KwD2AdUx3U what do people think of this? It could be cool but I feel it may be too complex for a relatively simple fighting game
Agreed, I think it tries adding too many things of the game in such a manner that overcomplicates the moveset in a way that makes someone not know where to begin with the character.
While not easy to use, Shulk's Monodo Wheel is much more straightforward and isn't bogged down by as many options as proposed in the video. Hero was kept simple enough by relegating a lot of his moves into the RNG of his down-special. As it stands, the proposed moveset would be needlessly difficult to master and learn while potentially being overpowered and needlessly hard to balance.
Speaking of which, I don't at all like the idea of placing down a healing or 'super' field as it just sounds way too good, especially for a zoning character from ARMS. It'd just be too annoying to deal with.

I appreciate his attempt to add as many aspects of the game as possible but I think there is a better and simpler way to do so.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, here's a fun question: Which move from an ARMS character do we think will have the least range? Obviously part of the fun of an ARMS characters is their, well, arms, and because of those we're all having fun imagining Fsmashes, tilts, aerials, and grabs from across the stage, but what moves won't have crazy range? Jab? Nair? Will all moves have above average range?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So, here's a fun question: Which move from an ARMS character do we think will have the least range? Obviously part of the fun of an ARMS characters is their, well, arms, and because of those we're all having fun imagining Fsmashes, tilts, aerials, and grabs from across the stage, but what moves won't have crazy range? Jab? Nair? Will all moves have above average range?
Obviously the taunts :troll:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright, so I've been wondering if this is possible, and I figured if anyone can give some valuable input it's the people in this thread.

I know many are saying that the ARMS character could be several of them as alts, and there's been some pushback because many don't feel that the characters could be done justice, personality and gameplay-wise, with just alts. So that got me thinking... Could we get them not as alts, but as Echo Fighters?

I know many will dismiss the idea immediately, I get it, people aren't expecting Echo Fighters period, nevermind 3 for a single character, but try to get past that and see if the idea works. I believe that Sakurai always tries to go above and beyond, and I think what I came up with is a good way to represent the characters while still being very much doable.

So, the four characters are the ones you'd expect: Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Ninjara. I agree that they're the ones that make most sense, they're all the closest to each other proportions-wise, and while others like Kid Cobra and Lola Pop could also be done with the Echo format, I think more than 4 is too much, and Ninjara and Min Min are the popular ones. They have different voices and animations (which isn't new, Inkling and Byleth do it), while sharing attacks.

Spring Man is the "default", but it's kind of like the Belmonts where they're all Echoes of each other. For example, everyone has kicks. The differences, besides in the animations, comes in the fact that everyone keeps their unique mechanics. Spring Man has his arms autocharge at high percentages (say, over 100%), Ribbon Girl has 4 jumps (and maybe double airdash, but I think that's quite an advanced mechanic to introduce with an Echo), Min Min has her dragon arm mechanic (by charging or by grabs, and it goes away when hit with enough knockback or another status effect like stunning), Ninjara can teleport while dashing (giving him more movement, especially while airborne, and more invincibility frames).

If that seems like too much, I could see Spring Man going without his mechanic, as it steps a little bit on Terry's toes and keeps him from being the simple, easiest-to-get-into of the bunch. I could also see Min Min going without her mechanic because her kick is already present in all the characters - and it's fitting that the two "default" characters be the main character and the most popular.

If arm switching is a mechanic, and I could see it being one, then they could all have their three default types. The only one I can think of that would pose an issue is the Dragon, because it's pretty complex - maybe that could be replaced with a multi-shot for balancing reasons anyway, as the other 3 have one as well.

So, one character has Terry's mechanic, one has extra jumps, one has better dashes, and one can store charge for attacks. That, plus Chrom-level animation changes at most. Suddenly doesn't sound like quite that much, does it?

Well, I dunno. Let me know what you think, if it's plausible for us to get something like this come June, if it would explain all the mystery around the character, and if this level of representation for each character would make you happy.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
First move that comes to mind is the d-tilt. That's usually the smaller attack on most characters and I don't see why it can't be the same for this character. Sure, the jab would likely be low ranged compared to the rest of their moveset but it'd at least have more coverage than the d-tilt I'd imagine.
It'd probably be a low kick or a low downward slanted punch.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Anyone got any trailer ideas for any fighters?
About a couple. One way is it could go like Terry's trailer where everyone is fighting over the Smash invitation, either trying to reach or compete for it.

Another way would be Biff announcing ARMS and Smash doing a cross promotion together that's all in good fun but really it was orchestrated by director of ARMS Laboratories, Dr. Coyle, who just wanted an excuse to go where Mario and gang are and show how their weapons, magic and natural arms are inferior to her world's arms.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Okay guys, am I only moderately crazy, or am I ultra crazy, for having the thought that we're going to get Spring-Man + three echoes (Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min Min) where they all share the same basic moveset but each have all their unique animations and of course their individual gimmicks and canonical speed/weight from the game?

I realize how that sounds and which should be the obvious answer, but considering all four are super popular and equally the faces of the game (alongside Twintelle but she doesn't fit the body type), I wonder if there even is the possibility to have more than one echo attached to a single character, and the reason it's taking so long is because Sakurai is building basically four characters out of one right now. If you go by the theory that the FP6 was basically more-or-less ready in January when Byleth was released, why would it take so long - almost six months - from January to not only reveal the vague character (characters?) but also release them if it didn't mean that we weren't getting at least one echo fighter as a shock bonus? Now, imagine three, giving each character the chance to shine on their own merits rather than being left out entirely or relegated to being an alt costume for an amalgamated character that makes them less unique overall once you start combining unique traits together.

Anyways, that's my crackpot theory

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Okay guys, am I only moderately crazy, or am I ultra crazy, for having the thought that we're going to get Spring-Man + three echoes (Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min Min) where they all share the same basic moveset but each have all their unique animations and of course their individual gimmicks and canonical speed/weight from the game?

I realize how that sounds and which should be the obvious answer, but considering all four are super popular and equally the faces of the game (alongside Twintelle but she doesn't fit the body type), I wonder if there even is the possibility to have more than one echo attached to a single character, and the reason it's taking so long is because Sakurai is building basically four characters out of one right now. If you go by the theory that the FP6 was basically more-or-less ready in January when Byleth was released, why would it take so long - almost six months - from January to not only reveal the vague character (characters?) but also release them if it didn't mean that we weren't getting at least one echo fighter as a shock bonus? Now, imagine three, giving each character the chance to shine on their own merits rather than being left out entirely or relegated to being an alt costume for an amalgamated character that makes them less unique overall once you start combining unique traits together.

I think that would work. Maybe 3 fighters, but yeah. People will cry "Its not faaaiiir" but if you think about it it's not much more content then Hero and his LITERAL 20+ B moves

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

The only way I see it is if we get another FE situation, with one being a semi-clone so that there's one Echo for the OG and the semi-clone :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom:

And either way, getting four characters at once is just gonna make ARMS the new Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
I feel like people only want the "alternate skins" meme to be real because they want to trap ARMS in a single obligatory slot. They're scared that ARMS will get more reps in the future if the slot is given exclusively to one character, since ARMS will continue to be extremely viable for future Smash Bros games

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Short move... I imagine some will be more like twirls (ie Belmont up-tilt or Byleth up-air) rather than straight punches. Some might curve in exaggerated ways too (ie down smash is close to their body, but travels around to cover both sides repeatedly).

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
While I'd be all for echoes or unique alts I have serious doubts that these are being worked on or even contributing to a longer than usual wait as stated even if they were working on those.

Pretty sure it just has to do more with the moveset itself and how different the character is.

All of that said, somebody had to say it right? So I think its good to at least put the speculation out there. Who knows, it could become true after-all. Stranger things have happened.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I had the same idea, glad to see I'm not the only one.

It's crazy, sure, but it's Sakurai's special brand of crazy, I could see it happening.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I posted this over in the Isaac thread but I imagine it might also be appreciated here. Some of my wild ramblings.

Here's a kooky wacky theory. (where's my tinfoil hat)

June comes along and we end up getting not one, but two Arms reps!

Spring Man (with Ribbon Girl as alts)
Min Min (not an echo but more like a Luigi/Wolf/Isabelle situation where they borrow a number of elements from another fighter)

They are both dlc fighter #6 and #7.

and that....is the reason why they added a sixth fighter to this pass.....because they wanted at least five different franchises to be represented by the pass but Sakurai wanted to double dip with Arms.

and that is also why it's taken longer for the #6 fighter to be revealed because they're working on two fighters at once. (albeit similar ones)

*takes tinfoil hat off*

Last edited:
Top Bottom