• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
I posted this over in the Isaac thread but I imagine it might also be appreciated here. Some of my wild ramblings.
Marth/Roy situation for ARMS could work. Two for the price of one, and they could be tweaked enough to have their personal abilities and personality while also sharing 99% of their movesets. But the characters won't work as alt costumes. They look and animated too differently.

Also, I see a lot of people saying that this is to prep for ARMS 2, but I don't think that would happen on the same system the first game is on. How would you guys feel if ARMS got a large-scale paid expansion? Something akin to that Splatoon 2 Octopus one or whatever it was. It's like the only first party Nintendo franchise to not have paid DLC on switch, and 2020 seems to be the year of Nintendo DLC rather then new games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
its great to see this thread ablaze with activity but i can not keep up. so i wanted to ask hows the over all reaction on the internet?

SwitchButton

its great to see this thread ablaze with activity but i can not keep up. so i wanted to ask hows the over all reaction on the internet?
Pretty positive. Most had a pretty normal "It was gonna happen no matter what" reaction. Obviously with the usual handful of "Reee where's my personal pick" angry folks. Although we haven't seen the real reactions yet. We'll see what people really think when the trailer drops.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
More positive than you’d expect. I mean it’d have to be if certain users of all people are happy with the reveal. You obviously have a few people who don’t like because ‘muh, supposed to be making up for Byleth’ or ‘muh, not a triple a hype third party character’ but those really are the minority

Trevenant

Smash Lord
As if the potential to have ATs/spirits be on the table isn't making up for Byleth.
I meant moreso the general hype measure of the character. And even after that we don’t actually know who the arms rep is. I’m still certain Springman would at least be included

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Also, I see a lot of people saying that this is to prep for ARMS 2, but I don't think that would happen on the same system the first game is on. How would you guys feel if ARMS got a large-scale paid expansion? Something akin to that Splatoon 2 Octopus one or whatever it was. It's like the only first party Nintendo franchise to not have paid DLC on switch, and 2020 seems to be the year of Nintendo DLC rather then new games.
Huh. That's an interesting point.

Perhaps the potential ARMS expansion pass will have major changes to main mechanics or adding new mechanics altogether? Like with Dragon Ball FighterZ Season 3. They made many major changes to the gameplay (Different Assists, removal of fuzzies, changes to snapbacks, the addition of a down-to-one buff mechanic, etc.), in addition to the usual new characters. ARMS seems like the kind of game to overhaul and add universal mechanics like FighterZ Season 3.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They said they’d be downloadable in June right? If the base fighter is already done or at least has the hardest parts out of the way, most of the Echo’s work is cut out for them
Well, yes and no. Way back when, we had that WOL datamine with 16 datamined character slots. With 12 of those accounted for, it leaves out 4 that could only be used for the purpose of "bonus characters", if needed.

So if any Echoes happen at all, it'd have to be saved for the end of development, just like with base games.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I’d love a story mode in ARMS. Just hopefully with cutscenes if it’s based on the graphic novel that still exists?

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
There's a reason he's in the poll at the top.
Speaking of, surprised that Ribbon Girl only got two votes. Her thread's even quieter than the others https://smashboards.com/threads/star-of-the-stage-ribbon-girl-support-thread.503165/
I voted for her. Not because she is my favorite pick but I do think she has a decent chance. At this point I'm thinking its less likely than I initially thought but I'm sticking to my choice :awesome:

I too consider a little weird the fact they said us the series this character is taken from. Why did they do it? it's like we needed to know the series and we needed to know they were still working on smash. But we already knew they are keep on working on smash! and we didn't need to know the series of the next character, not if revealed this way. In fact I'm sure I'm not the only one who highly disliked that announcement: it ruined the hype, a character should always be revealed with the right dose of hype. We didn't need an announcement thrown away like that.
Personally, I was kinda starving for a reveal of some kind so this is realistically the most I could have hoped for :lol:
Now we get to the other fun part, figuring out what their moveset is gonna be like. Kinda hype to me.

SwitchButton

I dont follow amiibo news, all I know is that it's dying hard and on it's way out the door. Are they making Smash amiibo of the DLC characters? I don't care for them very much but this could be our one chance at an ARMS figure. I'd buy it in an instant

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dont follow amiibo news, all I know is that it's dying hard and on it's way out the door. Are they making Smash amiibo of the DLC characters? I don't care for them very much but this could be our one chance at an ARMS figure. I'd buy it in an instant
Once the dev cycle for Ultimate completely stops, that'll obviously be when amiibo bows out. They'll only be announced when they're ready.

Which makes me glad that I already bought the :ulticeclimbers: one in-store.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Im sure we will get amiibo of the DLC characters but if Smash 4's DLC is anything to go by we may be waiting MONTHS for them to be announced/released. Bayonetta, Corrin, and Cloud came out extremely late. I do need an ARMS, Byleth, and Banjo amiibo though.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I beleive Sakurai said the DLC fighters will be getting amiibo too. I can't wait for the Banjo one

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I beleive Sakurai said the DLC fighters will be getting amiibo too. I can't wait for the Banjo one
I wonder if we'll get all the alts as well: School Joker, DQ hero 3, 4 and 8, and Female Byleth.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If we're getting alts and the ARMS character is a Bowser Jr. Situation hoo-boy! My wallet will be hurting. But a small price to pay for salvation..
I say that it would definitely help ARMS' cause, as an IP, so I could see them do that for the amiibo. Can't believe we didn't consider that angle earlier.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I say that it would definitely help ARMS' cause, as an IP, so I could see them do that for the amiibo. Can't believe we didn't consider that angle earlier.
i would have hoped being the 19th best selling switch game would have helped.

mind you good sales doesnt all means good reactions

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Who want a link to my suport for max brass? (Please ignore the 2nd one. my internet is laggy.)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well, yes and no. Way back when, we had that WOL datamine with 16 datamined character slots. With 12 of those accounted for, it leaves out 4 that could only be used for the purpose of "bonus characters", if needed.

So if any Echoes happen at all, it'd have to be saved for the end of development, just like with base games.
they did also say no plans for DLC past FPV2, so if they were Individual DLC like PP, FPV2 would have to do REAL well... might be safer to bundle 4 echoes with their respective FPV2 bases and call it a day, to not have any regrets of unused spaces later

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I have never been around this thread, but my predictions are:

a) Springman or Ribbon girl as the main faces of the game.

or

b) Min Min, most popular character decided around a tournament just around the time pass 2 was decided even.

Those are the ones I see most likely, the rest that weren't spirits before, now they will be.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't understand why people say they'll be hyped as long as it's not Springman because he's too basic. Yeah, within ARMS he's basic, but within smash he'd be one of the most, if not the most unique character on the roster. I mean, incorporating ARMS mechanics in smash is going to result in one crazy ass character regardless of who it is.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't understand why people say they'll be hyped as long as it's not Springman because he's too basic. Yeah, within ARMS he's basic, but within smash he'd be one of the most, if not the most unique character on the roster. I mean, incorporating ARMS mechanics in smash is going to result in one crazy ass character regardless of who it is.
I'm personally not doing it because of that. Hell, my most wanted is Max Brass, so I'd have no room to talk :p

The reason I don't feel like it should be Spring Man is... well, imagine how all the fanbases will be if an Assist Trophy gets promoted. Some could be chill, yeah, but I could see a lot of very rabid ones, especially if the AT they want don't make the cut in the game. And I hope not to see that kind of hell be unleashed.

I also feel like they'd already have the means to tease him if it was Spring Man rather than give us a guessing game, since him being an AT means they already have a fully completed model to work with before even getting started.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yeah, it's like Ryu in the SSB4 days!

People thought Ryu was basic in Street Fighter, and would be too boring in Smash, but in what timeline would people have thought of the idea of him having FGC Inputs and alternate button attacks before he was actually revealed to have them?!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm personally not doing it because of that. Hell, my most wanted is Max Brass, so I'd have no room to talk :p

The reason I don't feel like it should be Spring Man is... well, imagine how all the fanbases will be if an Assist Trophy gets promoted. Some could be chill, yeah, but I could see a lot of very rabid ones, especially if the AT they want don't make the cut in the game.

I also feel like they'd already have the means to tease him if it was Spring Man rather than give us a guessing game, since him being an AT means they already have a fully completed model to work with.
I don't actually think it's Springman either. My guess is Min Min. The majority seems to want Min Min but not Springman though. And I'm just thinking, yeah in ARMS they're very different, but in smash? They would only be very marginally different from each other compared to the other smash characters.

SwitchButton

Pure ignorance. This fanbase is extremely narrow minded and uncreative most of the time so they don't see the potential in anything that isn't overtly gimmicky.

Remember this is the fanbase the was SO SURE that a wrestler themed character would be no different then a boxer or a martial artist

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Pure ignorance. This fanbase is extremely narrow minded and uncreative most of the time so they don't see the potential in anything that isn't overtly gimmicky.

Remember this is the fanbase the was SO SURE that a wrestler themed character would be no different then a boxer or a martial artist
But that's the thing. If it is Springman, he'll still probably be one of the most gimmicky characters in the game.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
But that's the thing. If it is Springman, he'll still probably be one of the most gimmicky characters in the game.
But the fanbase likely only sees the fact that he has range. Ergo, they're just a Belmont or whatever other thing the can come up with to "justify" ARMS as a waste of a slot even though they wanted more first-party characters.

zferolie

Smash Hero
For me I want ribbon girl or Min Min because I like their designs a lot more. Plus more girls and all that. I wouldn't mind spirngman though

SwitchButton

Exactly but people here force themselves to see nothing but surface level "he's a boxer". They don't see the actual underlying mechanics of ARMS.

The same thing affects Bandana Dee. People look at him and think he's just a jab jab spear and nothing else. They say Marx would be better because Marx has flashy magical particle effects. They don't try to explore the actual underlying mechanics and utility. People here are very surface level.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Exactly but people here force themselves to see nothing but surface level "he's a boxer". They don't see the actual underlying mechanics of ARMS.

The same thing affects Bandana Dee. People look at him and think he's just a jab jab spear and nothing else. They say Marx would be better because Marx has flashy magical particle effects. They don't try to explore the actual underlying mechanics and utility. People here are very surface level.
I don't think it's healthy for discussion to talk about the Smashboards community in wide strokes.

From what I've seen people are just trying to figure out who it could be and are caught between two absolutes, unable to figure out which one will be broken: Main characters must be playable or Assist Trophies getting promoted.

Personally, I think it'll be the main characters one thanks to a certain indie game getting it's secret boss as a Mii costume over it's playable cahracter.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't think it's healthy for discussion to talk about the Smashboards community in wide strokes.

From what I've seen people are just trying to figure out who it could be and are caught between two absolutes, unable to figure out which one will be broken: Main characters must be playable or Assist Trophies getitng promoted.

Personally, I think it'll be the main characters one thanks to a certain indie game getting it's secret boss as a Mii costume over it's playable cahracter.
I feel like that was a special case. Sans is similar to Pikachu in that he's not the main character, yet he's undeniably the face of the franchise. It would honestly be weird if anyone but Sans was the first representation of Undertale. Springman is actually not exactly the main character, because ARMS has no main character, but he's pretty much the face and is definitely the most recognizable.

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet
Really wanting Mechanica because shes my personal favorite and ive been wanting more heavy characters in the game. Though im aware she doesn't have the greatest of odds.

I suspect whoever we do get will probably have their normal and special moves for the most part revolve around differing arms similar to how Inklings pulling out basically every weapon in the game as their moveset.

Though that said, having played this limited free game version of ARMS, I feel like the mechanics differences between the different characters os rather being overlooked as they could build alot out of those specific abilities. Such as Master Mummy healing whenever he shields or Byte having a robot dog that follows him around to attack opponents and serve as a platform.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is fine all and all, but we're in an odd position where Spring Man currently being an AT has put absolutely everything into question. Is it him or Springtron as the shoo-in, or did they decide to say "screw it" to tradition and do something different?

I mean, it must have taken balls to even accept :ultbanjokazooie: in the first place. It feels like this round of DLC is steadily sliding down into "anything goes".

I feel like that was a special case. Sans is similar to Pikachu in that he's not the main character, yet he's undeniably the face of the franchise. It would honestly be weird if anyone but Sans was the first representation of Undertale. Springman is actually not exactly the main character, because ARMS has no main character, but he's pretty much the face and is definitely the most recognizable.
At least Deltarune gave us a more appealing protag in Kris. Pity the game isn't finished yet...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Also doesn't help that it's very difficult to translate the soul-dodging and whatnot the player does in a Smash environment.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This is fine all and all, but we're in an odd position where Spring Man currently being an AT has put absolutely everything into question. Is it him or Springtron as the shoo-in, or did they decide to say "screw it" to tradition and do something different?
I could see Spring Man being promoted and Springtron taking his role as an assist.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I could see Spring Man being promoted and Springtron taking his role as an assist.
The other question is, would they really be willing to dedicate all those resources into doing that and hope something else doesn't break in the process?

It seems like the easy solution, but it's hard to know if that's even the actual outcome. Especially since doing that would basically cause the more vocal people to aggressively demand more AT changes.

If the character is Spring Man, it would be nice to know if the whole teaser thing was done in an in-universe sense, otherwise it's hard to see the point of doing all that setup anyway.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
The other question is, would they really be willing to dedicate all those resources into doing that and hope something else doesn't break in the process?

It seems like the easy solution, but it's hard to know if that's even the actual outcome. Especially since doing that would basically cause the more vocal people to aggressively demand more AT changes.
I agree that. We cannot know whether there are system issues with DLCs adding codes to change the base game process, keep assuming that doesn't seem respectful to the programmers.

Problem remains that why that result didn't already happen in the base game with Springton appears as an assist trohpy so that it wouldn't cause contradictino when Spring Man joins. Similiarly, if Issac has the chance to be a fighter, I'd wish that Jenna was the assist trohpy in the base game so that I can have Issac and Jenna fight together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom