• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
immensely skeptical of milk's claims being related to min min but there's something morbidly funny about the image of sakurai slaving away over this character nintendo asked him to do for over 14 months trying to figure out how to make her work

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Aren’t DLCs worked on in threes too? If PP was intended to be base but pushed to DLC, it’s possible Joker, Hero and Banjo were worked on shortly before the game released (and why Joker had enough progress on him to warrant a tease). It would ALSO explain rumors of a Square Enix rep, leakers being unsure if it was base or DLC, and the infamous Seven Squares list in December 2018.

It’s ALSO possible Min Min, if that’s who Milk’s source saw, was intended for FP5 but switched places with Byleth who might have been intended for the second pass. After all, NOBODY knew about Byleth. Would also explain increased leak security. This bit of speculation may be a stretch (pun), but the DLC worked on in threes was literally confirmed I’m sure.
The thing about the Byleth trailer is that it follows the wrong forumla for it's reveal event. Many trailers (Like Banjo or Hero follow a formula of "Oh it's obviously Smash but who is it?" while Byleth follows the same formula as Isabelle and Joker "Oh hey it's X game I wonder wh... wait SMASH!?", which tends to be used in general directs and in Joker's case, the game awards. I think the trailer was made with intention of it being in a direct but plans changed, and if so, character 6 and 5 being swapped seems the most likely outcome to me personally.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
You realize that they didn't just make characters for the entire development cycle, right?

They had to impliment new mechanics, like parrying, instant short hops, directional airdodge, etc.

They had to impliment over 100 stages, many of which from scratch.

All the different new models, items, Assist Trophies and Poke Ball summons that had to be worked on.

The 6 different maps of World of Light.

Testing every single one of the 1000+ Spirit battles.

There's far more to a base game than the characters, which is why I have doubts on a leak that, according to the fanbase, implies Min Min was decided at the same time as the first Fighters Pass.

Do I see an ARMS rep be decided for a season 2 around E3 2019? Yes, yes I do, but Milk-BOTATSU implies that character was in active development. And given that at the time, we only had Joker, with Hero not coming for another month, I have a LOT of doubt concerning the idea that Min Min was worked on alongside Hero, Banjo, Terry and Byleth.

That feels like people looking too deep into fake leaks to justify the Ramen Bomber.
But that's exactly why I think that they might have been planning this for a while. We're so busy making the base game, but lets put stuff in place so we can work on this more actively later when thing have calmed down. I appreciate the challenge of making a video game, but I also appreciate that ideas can come long before they can be implemented.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
But that's exactly why I think that they might have been planning this for a while. We're so busy making the base game, but lets put stuff in place so we can work on this more actively later when thing have calmed down. I appreciate the challenge of making a video game, but I also appreciate that ideas can come long before they can be implemented.
What would be the point of the Spring Man Assist Trophy, or any ARMS representation, if it was planned before the game even released?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
What would be the point of the Spring Man Assist Trophy, or any ARMS representation, if it was planned before the game even released?
tbh i feel like ARMS was put aside pre-launch (perhaps very late on) for a potential season 2 if the fighter's pass showed promising sales, and the reason i think that is the complete lack of ARMS music

codename STEAM of all things got two tracks (one of which was a brand new remix), but nintendo's brand new IP fighting game that sold 2.5 million copies and was univerally praised for its soundtrack didn't get even the main theme despite the plethora of ARMS content (spirits, AT, mii costumes)

Last edited:

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Same as any franchise? just represent games and Nintendo games in any way they can. but don't step on the character/stage/music they might add down the line? IF the rep isn't Spring Man, would it really be JUST because he's an assist, somehow I doubt that.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Same as any franchise? just represent games and Nintendo games in any way they can. but don't step on the character/stage/music they might add down the line? IF the rep isn't Spring Man, would it really be JUST because he's an assist, somehow I doubt that.
The point of my question was just "why represent the game now if you'll do it later anyway?"

I definitely think Spring Man being an Assist doesn't affect his chances whatsoever and that if we don't get him, it's going to be a problem with either making his mechanics stand out (parries and damage-based comeback gimmicks aren't exactly rare nowadays) or just the fact that someone has more potential.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
The point of my question was just "why represent the game now if you'll do it later anyway?"

I definitely think Spring Man being an Assist doesn't affect his chances whatsoever and that if we don't get him, it's going to be a problem with either making his mechanics stand out (parries and damage-based comeback gimmicks aren't exactly rare nowadays) or just the fact that someone has more potential.
Well they haven't actually added any Assists in since the game launched, and spirits don't seem like a huge challenge to add, besides they're still spoiled for mii costumes to add with the ARMS rep. If they didn't add any of that I doubt anyone would be as surprised to see an ARMS rep announced. Imagine if they didn't do that Astral Chain spirit event the day before Three Houses got a rep. speculation, they'd be all over these youtube leak channels.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Was there any other info attached to that leak?
If you're talking the PS5 one, pretty much just got accidentally streamed on Twitch: https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1270027393776996352

Speaking of Crash and ARMS...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Doubtful, as when they talked about Hero’s alt, I recall them saying DQXI was the default while III, IV and VIII were alts (and again no female versions)
Funny you say that, considering that 98% of fans thought Erdrick was the base fighter the entire time Hero was leaked. Even Tansut didn't get any clarification from his source, who never replied to his question about whether Erdrick was in.

The only reason we didn't get female alts for that one was because they ran out of time before release, while we still don't know how much legroom they've had since then.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't think spring man would make it, but it'd be interesting to smash the idea that an assist trophy can't make it.
What would they do with the assist trophy tho? :O

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I don't think spring man would make it, but it'd be interesting to smash the idea that an assist trophy can't make it.
What would they do with the assist trophy tho? :O
most theories run that they'd just pull an alucard on wii fit studio and have the AT not spawn while he's being played (which raises more questions like what would happen to his entry in the training mode AT menu if you spawned in as spring man), but honestly given how central ATs are to casual matches with items on, i feel like people very much overestimate the likelihood of sakurai just pushing an assist trophy that has a lot of work put into it to one side

Teeb147

Smash Legend
most theories run that they'd just pull an alucard on wii fit studio and have the AT not spawn while he's being played (which raises more questions like what would happen to his entry in the training mode AT menu if you spawned in as spring man), but honestly given how central ATs are to casual matches with items on, i feel like people very much overestimate the likelihood of sakurai just pushing an assist trophy that has a lot of work put into it to one side
That's a simple solution actually, maybe could work.

Unrelated, and probably been talked about before, but I like the idea that the arms character could swap the arms, to have different ways the attacks will work.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That's a simple solution actually, maybe could work.

Unrelated, and probably been talked about before, but I like the idea that the arms character could swap the arms, to have different ways the attacks will work.
The different ARMS will factor in somehow. Either by swapping them on the fly like the Inklings or Byleths do with their weapons or having some kind of stance change system where the diffrerent ARMS have different effects.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
While every AT is unique in it's own way, I think the way AT works is important.

Let's suppose Springman get promoted, it would not make a big difference, beside the balancing of course: the character would still punch, and can have a Rush mechanic, like the assist. Same goes for Alucard for example (especially considering Sakurai could have included him instead of the Belmonts)

On the other hand, Ashley, a character that I REALLY want playable, have quite the unique effect, and it's something that doesn't seems doable as a fighter. This would be a bigger "loss" than a simple brawler fighter.

That's only pure speculation though, and a point of view. I may be totally wrong on my approach of the question.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've not checked yet, but I assume the news of the PS5 presentation happening on Thursday was mentioned earlier, right? It has some potential implications that we might see the direct/presentation on or before the 11th.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
haven't been on smashboards for awhile, what do we think about misango?
The general consensus is he's got a cool idea but is the absolute bottom of the pole in chances.

Yes, Biff and Springtron come above him

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I mentioned him to my girlfriend, even included a picture of him, and she had no earthly idea who he was. She said that if he had been added to Smash, she would've legitimately assumed that the devs just made an OC purely for Smash.

So that's the only test I need to be certain he's got no chance.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I mentioned him to my girlfriend, even included a picture of him, and she had no earthly idea who he was. She said that if he had been added to Smash, she would've legitimately assumed that the devs just made an OC purely for Smash.

So that's the only test I need to be certain he's got no chance.
What about the other characters your girlfriend saw?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've not checked yet, but I assume the news of the PS5 presentation happening on Thursday was mentioned earlier, right? It has some potential implications that we might see the direct/presentation on or before the 11th.
Yeah, I brought it up myself. Some of us did assume that Ninty could reveal the ARMS fighter on the week E3 would have been on, so it seems like prime timing.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
i showed my friend a picture of spring man and he hasn't talked to me in five weeks

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Personaly, I find him the design cool, and what he brought on the lore of Arms is interesting, but for Smash... I really don't think he has a chance at all, His mask mechanic bring him close to Shulk (another ranged fighter) and may also deviate the moveset away from the core of Arms in my opinion, balancing the character around this and not the Arms themselves. Same goes for Byte & Barq and the duo mechanic.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
i showed my friend a picture of spring man and he hasn't talked to me in five weeks
Man, I know he's the worst robot master but that's a bit far isn't it?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You guys can't seriously be so desperate you're giving Milk-Bosatu the time of day. That's about as dead of a leak as Hitagi's stuff and the Minecraft content. We're already in June, just sit tight and answers will come soon.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You guys can't seriously be so desperate you're giving Milk-Bosatu the time of day. That's about as dead of a leak as Hitagi's stuff and the Minecraft content. We're already in June, just sit tight and answers will come soon.
Things get more desperate as the finish line approaches.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Eh, Bosatsu leaked VR in Smash months before VR even existed on Switch, gotta give hime credit for that.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Eh, Bosatsu leaked VR in Smash months before VR even existed on Switch, gotta give hime credit for that.
He did also say that the 5th fighter would be from a franchise already represented in Smash (Byleth), so that's another plus in his favor.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
He did also say that the 5th fighter would be from a franchise already represented in Smash (Byleth), so that's another plus in his favor.
Technically ARMS also was already represented with Spring Man’s AT if you wanna go with the “Min Min and Byleth switched places” theory

as someone said it would be easier to swap the positions of two first party characters than a first with a third, or God forbid TWO THIRD PARTIES.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Technically ARMS also was already represented with Spring Man’s AT if you wanna go with the “Min Min and Byleth switched places” theory

as someone said it would be easier to swap the positions of two first party characters than a first with a third, or God forbid TWO THIRD PARTIES.
Come to think of it, "franchise already represented in Smash" sounds a little ambiguous. That statement is and was completely up for interpretation. I mean, for one, ARMS is a franchise already represented in Smash Bros, but on the other hand, it's a franchise already represented in Smash Bros that's also recent Smash, meaning there's very little foothold as far as fans go. Meanwhile, Fire Emblem is a franchise that's been in Smash since Melee, and its treatment in Smash has gotten to the point of becoming a meme, but do we really need a repeat of backlash in adding another?

tldr: "Already represented" is a very vague statement in this context.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At this rate I won't be surprised if the ARMS fighter manages to still be surprising, if only because everyone overthought about who it could be, so it no longer becomes predictable.

The only suggestion that would make no sense at all is if someone were to assume the game itself was playable.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Tbh milk bosatu is probably fake. Info was probably a bit too early in advance to actually mean anything. iirc this leak also said stuff about a flying weapon which can't really apply to Min Min unless you really want her in and wear rose tinted glasses to try and find a connection.
At this rate I won't be surprised if the ARMS fighter manages to still be surprising, if only because everyone overthought about who it could be, so it no longer becomes predictable.

The only suggestion that would make no sense at all is if someone were to assume the game itself was playable.
You mean the case?

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

I'd totally main V-Ball :p

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Selects Skyrim
“...so... you’re finally awake...”

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Tbh milk bosatu is probably fake. Info was probably a bit too early in advance to actually mean anything. iirc this leak also said stuff about a flying weapon which can't really apply to Min Min unless you really want her in and wear rose tinted glasses to try and find a connection.
I mean, a chakram (Which is what Min Min's Ramram is) is a throwable weapon as far as I know, and also, haven't you heard of the term, "fists are flying"?

Also, just because something's been up for a super long time doesn't mean it won't be true. I mean, look at stuff like ESRB or that Ken leak.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I mean, a chakram (Which is what Min Min's Ramram is) is a throwable weapon as far as I know, and also, haven't you heard of the term, "fists are flying"?

Also, just because something's been up for a super long time doesn't mean it won't be true. I mean, look at stuff like ESRB or that Ken leak.
Tbf those were quite different leaks. One was an image and several gameplay videos which were pretty much confirmed to be legit while the Ken leak was also a pretty legit image leak and were both out for about half a year at most before anything was confirned. Milk Bosatu on the other hand is a text leak which has gotten a few small things right which has been out since October 2018. Ken leak didn't even exist 2 months actually. Came out on September 22nd IIRC and was confirmed November 1st

Last edited:
Top Bottom